Options
123457»

Replies

• AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How to cut it out totally?

Willpower that is all it takes.

I know i did and had to. I did it cold turkey. No added sugar for me. so yes i eat all the fruit i want lol
    And now 7.5 months later, i add some sugar if needed or wanted to to dishes.

And when i want to i eat a snicker bar i will. Or add honey to my tea. As long as my body accept it well enough. Still because of my medical issue with it i have to watch it.

But sugar isn't bad
    What is bad is TOO MUCH of anything your body cant have.
    So moderation.

For me this means i cant have much sugar so my determination to not destroy my body and get more and dangerous health issue made me cut it out.

This is for every person different, the situation you live in, the circumstances, your body reactions and your personality.
    How much willpower do you have?

So for me no bad or good foods, even do sugar is bad for me, this doesn't mean it is bad for somebody else.

Its your life, your body. If you want to be healthier and your reaction to sugar is bad, then you know what to do. When you dont have bad reaction i dont see the point to cutting it out.
    Then moderation is your biggest friend. But that is for all the food you take in.

So for weight loss you only need a deficit
    The rest you do, like cutting out sugar is willpower...there are no tricks to it.

Your life, your body, your destination and goals is what you need to keep in mind.

There should be a like button. That's where I am now more or less.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    nvmroz wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    We are not as divergent as you wish to believe.

But yes I do believe there is such a thing as posting etiquette. And it is ever more difficult to witness.

You are projecting your own belief ;)

Posting etiquette does not mean enabling and agreeing.

I don't mind disagreement. But some comments did feel over the line. Insinuating someone is dum or not on your level is not disagreeing. It is rude. Talking down to people is not disagreeing. I think we could agree on that. I really don't mind disagreement at all. You didn't make any such comments. You posted your opinion and view which I agree with btw. And I'm sure those who did escalate will just say "well just cause you feel it's talking down doesn't mean it is." Communication is a two-way street as is understanding. So... No-it really is not just about taking it the wrong way. But actually... I don't care lol. Because unfortunately some attitudes stand in front of brilliant points that never fully have their intended Impact.

Okay so your are complaining about people being, do you think this was rude?
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I'm still confused. So eating sugary banana bread made you high and made you crave it. The low sugar banana bread didn't make you high. So you ate more low sugar banana bread to make sure that you weren't getting high? And you concluded that a 179 Cal donut made you feel bad too.

The stuff I read on here....

Yeah. It is too bad you don't get it.

Yes it was in response to a post so let's get the whole story.

But you agree it was also rude. So you cannot complain that people are rude then be rude yourself and justify it with "well they started it".

Yes I can.
    I just did.
    It's called if u push me I will push back. Til I get tired and move on with.... Life.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.
    "he's addicted to computers"
    synonyms: devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to

I'll just leave this here:

DSM-IV Substance Dependence Criteria
    Addiction (termed substance dependence by the American Psychiatric Association) is defined as a maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring any time in the same 12-month period:

1. Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
    (a) Aneedformarkedlyincreasedamountsofthesubstancetoachieveintoxicationor the desired effect; or
    (b) Markedlydiminishedeffectwithcontinueduseofthesameamountofthesubstance.

2. Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:
    (a) The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance; or
    (b) Thesame(orcloselyrelated)substanceistakentorelieveoravoidwithdrawal symptoms.

3. The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.

4. There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.

5. A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance (such as visiting multiple doctors or driving long distances), use the substance (for example, chain-smoking), or recover from its effects.

6. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.

7. The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance (for example, current cocaine use despite recognition of cocaine-induced depression or continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption).

DSM-IV criteria for substance dependence include several specifiers, one of which outlines whether substance dependence is with physiologic dependence (evidence of tolerance or withdrawal) or without physiologic dependence (no evidence of tolerance or withdrawal). In addition, remission categories are classified into four subtypes: (1) full, (2) early partial, (3) sustained, and (4) sustained partial; on the basis of whether any of the criteria for abuse or dependence have been met and over what time frame. The remission category can also be used for patients receiving agonist therapy (such as methadone maintenance) or for those living in a controlled, drug-free environment.

Source: American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Fourth Edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.[/quote

So glad you posted DSM. Thanks for posting it!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    synonyms: devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to
    I have to presume that you know perfectly well that that isn't the sense in which the word is being used here.

Different definitions to different people. Also, why does it even matter? Nitpicking so you can feel superior? I stand by my opinion that it is not at all helpful.

SMH. I should have known better than to even open this thread let alone respond to it.

I think people are just addicted (yes...I dare to use that word) to sugar threads. They come to get their daily fix.

Me...I think I am addicted (kind of like looking at the car wreck on the side of the road) to reading them. I am hoping that one day...one will end well. I am an optimistic sugar thread reader addict.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why is it that every time someone comes on here and tries to ask for advice on how to cut back on sugar, the sugar-defendants come out and try to convince them not to? Not at all helpful.

OP, I cut back on drinking sugary calories by replacing soda with sweet tea and then little by little each week I've cut back a teaspoon here teaspoon there. My teas now have half the sugar they used to have and still taste sweet enough for me. Just had to go slow. Maybe that something that you can do with your coffee.

Mmmmm........

The op said:
    I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it

She's not asking about cutting back, she's saying she's addicted to sugar (no such thing) and she wants to get off of it.

Picking apart the term "addicted" is just ridiculous. It is quite clear that all the OP wanted to know is how she could get her sugar intake under control.

I, at many times will refer to soda and sugary snacks as my "addiction". I am smart enough to know that I'm not addicted as one may be with actual drugs, but "addicted" in such a way that I will jones for a cola, obsess over chocolate lava cake, crave gummy candy...

I say that I'm "addicted" to my daughter sweet baby scent, to a certain tv show, to rollercoasters. Arguing the technicality of the word does not help, at all.

Yes, unfortunately these discussions about sugar all go the same way with petty bickering over definitions of addiction and comments about crack, making one's family homeless and giving bjs to tramps.

Call it what you like, but I believe most of us agreed during a similar discussion not too long ago that there is merit, for people who have a problem with sugar, in cutting back on added sugar as much as is humanly possible, at least for a set period of time.

Trying to go straight from having a huge problem to "oh, just have it in moderation" is not always a helpful suggestion for everyone.

Because the problem is only with the people saying use moderation and not the people thinking one sugar has magical powers over another?

You appear to be fixated on this idea that people think one sugar is different than another.
    I don't think anyone believes one sugar has magical powers; but what people have experienced is that foods with a high concentration of sugar (even in small amounts) have a very different effect on them than foods with a low concentration of sugar that is also offset by some fibre.

Oh really? You're going to try and say many people here don't believe that about sugar? You know it is said all the time.

People differentiate between eating natural foods such as fruit, and what's referred to as "added" sugar, because the concentration of sugar is normally much higher in the latter. I don't believe they think it's a different type of sugar.

This is just false.

I have a chocolate-chip cookie recipe in my recipes, and it has fewer grams of sugar than an average apple.

Thus, the concentration of sugar in the apple is at least as high.

The cookie has far more calories, but the majority of its calories are not from sugar. Instead, the plurality of calories are from butter, followed by flour. The calories from sugar aren't all that high (less than the total calories in the apple).

It makes sense to differentiate between the apple and the cookie IMO, and I would (although that doesn't mean I wouldn't eat the cookie on occasion), but not because one is addictive and the other isn't. The reason is that the issue has nothing to do with addiction. People aren't really "addicted" to sugar in any meaningful sense.

(Obviously if your body feeling pleasure from activities = addiction, then eating is addictive.)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    I have to presume that you know perfectly well that that isn't the sense in which the word is being used here.

Different definitions to different people. Also, why does it even matter? Nitpicking so you can feel superior? I stand by my opinion that it is not at all helpful.

SMH. I should have known better than to even open this thread let alone respond to it.

I think people are just addicted (yes...I dare to use that word) to sugar threads. They come to get their daily fix.

Me...I think I am addicted (kind of like looking at the car wreck on the side of the road) to reading them. I am hoping that one day...one will end well. I am an optimistic sugar thread reader addict.

I'm definitely addicted to sugar threads!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

But yes I do believe there is such a thing as posting etiquette. And it is ever more difficult to witness.

I don't mind disagreement. But some comments did feel over the line. Insinuating someone is dum or not on your level is not disagreeing. It is rude. Talking down to people is not disagreeing. I think we could agree on that. I really don't mind disagreement at all. You didn't make any such comments. You posted your opinion and view which I agree with btw. And I'm sure those who did escalate will just say "well just cause you feel it's talking down doesn't mean it is." Communication is a two-way street as is understanding. So... No-it really is not just about taking it the wrong way. But actually... I don't care lol. Because unfortunately some attitudes stand in front of brilliant points that never fully have their intended Impact.

I'm still confused. So eating sugary banana bread made you high and made you crave it. The low sugar banana bread didn't make you high. So you ate more low sugar banana bread to make sure that you weren't getting high? And you concluded that a 179 Cal donut made you feel bad too.

But you agree it was also rude. So you cannot complain that people are rude then be rude yourself and justify it with "well they started it".

Yes I can.
    I just did.
    It's called if u push me I will push back. Til I get tired and move on with.... Life.

That's called hypocrisy. Or 5 year old logic.
    I'm rubber and you're glue...

By that "logic," posting about those moronic anti-sugar videos was the first push, anyway.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it an addiction, but I get a dopamine hit whenever I see them.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options

Speaking of which. Life is calling me and I'm going to go live it. Happy continued discussions to you all

Yes I can.
    I just did.

That's called hypocrisy. Or 5 year old logic.

LOL. U r doing it too. Keep your cool. Have a nice day.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Addiction needs a clinical intervention. Addiction means that life has become unmanageable.

So in that case you don't believe that nicotine and caffeine can be addictive either?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's hard but you can do it. While I don't necessarily feel processed sugar is the big evil I find that the calories from it displaces what I really need if I am to eat the right amount of food and get enough of all the macros I really need, like protein and veggies.

Most of us feel best if we focus on protein and veggies, then add in just enough fat/carbs for good energy and feeling good.

I know I felt so much better once I got used to ditching the excess processed sugar. I experimented with artificial sweeteners and it was a huge disaster, we are all different, for me it caused all kinds of strange food cravings and thus I gave in and ate a little more as a rolling daily average and couldn't seem to control my food intake as well (although it didn't FEEL like I was eating more and I was ALWAYS hungrier).

For me, what worked was adding in stevia and adding in just a little fruit and honey (other natural sugars can be used as well, to make you feel better).

Sugar is not the big evil if you monitor the amount and have some awareness about it. Mostly it pushes your "beneficial calories" out if you are going to eat the right amount of food and not gain weight.

Out of balance it's shown to decrease your PH (make it more acid) and also imbalance the bacteria in your stomach.

You need a bit of everything, all the macros, including fat and carbs.

One of my most favorite sweet treats for the 3 years I was losing 85 pounds was a slice of sourdough bread with just a coating of butter, just a coating of honey, and cinnamon. This still serves me well. I also still like greek yogurt with coconut flavored stevia, sometimes a little added frozen blueberries for a more cool/frozen treat, and sometimes blended to make a sort of thick ice cream like treat that satisfies my sweet tooth as well as give my body the high performance food it seems to need now. Like a high performance machine, that's how I like to treat my body now.

Roberta
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why is it that every time someone comes on here and tries to ask for advice on how to cut back on sugar, the sugar-defendants come out and try to convince them not to? Not at all helpful.

OP, I cut back on drinking sugary calories by replacing soda with sweet tea and then little by little each week I've cut back a teaspoon here teaspoon there. My teas now have half the sugar they used to have and still taste sweet enough for me. Just had to go slow. Maybe that something that you can do with your coffee.

Mmmmm........

The op said:
    I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it

She's not asking about cutting back, she's saying she's addicted to sugar (no such thing) and she wants to get off of it.

Picking apart the term "addicted" is just ridiculous. It is quite clear that all the OP wanted to know is how she could get her sugar intake under control.

I, at many times will refer to soda and sugary snacks as my "addiction". I am smart enough to know that I'm not addicted as one may be with actual drugs, but "addicted" in such a way that I will jones for a cola, obsess over chocolate lava cake, crave gummy candy...

I say that I'm "addicted" to my daughter sweet baby scent, to a certain tv show, to rollercoasters. Arguing the technicality of the word does not help, at all.

Yes, unfortunately these discussions about sugar all go the same way with petty bickering over definitions of addiction and comments about crack, making one's family homeless and giving bjs to tramps.

Call it what you like, but I believe most of us agreed during a similar discussion not too long ago that there is merit, for people who have a problem with sugar, in cutting back on added sugar as much as is humanly possible, at least for a set period of time.

Trying to go straight from having a huge problem to "oh, just have it in moderation" is not always a helpful suggestion for everyone.

Because the problem is only with the people saying use moderation and not the people thinking one sugar has magical powers over another?

You appear to be fixated on this idea that people think one sugar is different than another.
    I don't think anyone believes one sugar has magical powers; but what people have experienced is that foods with a high concentration of sugar (even in small amounts) have a very different effect on them than foods with a low concentration of sugar that is also offset by some fibre.

Oh really? You're going to try and say many people here don't believe that about sugar? You know it is said all the time.

People differentiate between eating natural foods such as fruit, and what's referred to as "added" sugar, because the concentration of sugar is normally much higher in the latter. I don't believe they think it's a different type of sugar.

This is just false.

I have a chocolate-chip cookie recipe in my recipes, and it has fewer grams of sugar than an average apple.

Thus, the concentration of sugar in the apple is at least as high.

I don't think so...
    According to USDA, "apple" per 100g has 52 calories and 10g sugar.
    Dare 'breaktime' chocolate chip cookies per 100g have 419 calories and 29g sugar.
    I agree that a higher proportion of the apple calories are from sugar, but the concentration of sugar is still higher in the cookie (29g/100g as opposed to 10g/100g).

p.s. I realise your cookie recipe might be different, but I just used that as a common example.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OAStH5C.gif

So. Now that I have your attention - please remember to stay on topic:
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

I believe the point of this thread was to ask for suggestions regarding how to cut sugar consumption, not the merits of whether or not sugar is an addiction, or what kinds of sugar are good/bad/the devil.

Also, please remember to be civil:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Heated debate is not an attack. It is simply how debates go when each side feels strongly about their point. However, if you feel you are being insulted or attacked please use the report button found under each post (select the flag link, and then select report and the reason for your report, then hit submit) and the moderation team will take a look.

regards,
    davis_em
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    :)