Is it worth it to quit diet soda? Have you?

Options

Replies

• jcox147125
    jcox147125 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it's just the caffeine. I used to drink one can every night which about the same caffeine as a chocolate bar. And no other soft drink would hit the spot for me.

I gave it up and I feel better for it. Mostly because i replaced that cola with more water which lead to better hydration. I also saved a lot more money than I thought I would! My partner gave it up too and we save £5 every meal out because we get water instead.

Personally, I had got to the stage I drank so little that I thought it wasn't worth the money, dental issues etc. Also, the research is debatable enough to worry me. I think believing that research into this stuff is completely objective and uninfluenced by corperations/government could be naive.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm not rating one artifical sweetener over another, but as a group, I've come to understand that consuming them fools the body into thinking we are taking in sugar, stimulating insulin production and excretion. When the blood sugar doesn't go up, the brain does kind of a double take and say to the liver...there's no sugar, quick give us some sugar to meet the insulin we just made so we don't crash into hypoglycemia. Well some doctors believe, I believe Dr. Oz mentions this on his show as well, I'm that it may lead to a rebound type to diabetes from liver and pancreas over stimulation. I tend to believe this theory.

Well, the actual experts on diabetes say that theory is wrong, and actually advice to drink diet sodas instead of regular soda if you have diabetes.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I'm not rating one artifical sweetener over another, but as a group, I've come to understand that consuming them fools the body into thinking we are taking in sugar, stimulating insulin production and excretion. When the blood sugar doesn't go up, the brain does kind of a double take and say to the liver...there's no sugar, quick give us some sugar to meet the insulin we just made so we don't crash into hypoglycemia. Well some doctors believe, I believe Dr. Oz mentions this on his show as well, I'm that it may lead to a rebound type to diabetes from liver and pancreas over stimulation. I tend to believe this theory.

The study to which you are referring has been debunked many times. Your body just doesn't work that way. However, if you personally feel like it makes you hungrier, then avoid it. It doesn't have that affect on everyone.

Also, disregard anything that Dr. Oz says. I'd listen to my cat's advice before I'd listen to his. The guy is a moron and a shill.

The great thing about theory is that it's just that, a theory. I'm the type of person that asks a lot of questions, researches and then forms an opinion. When I see patients in my practice I can also collect objective data and keep it stored in my long term memory for topics such as these. So i'll continue to think this until something else makes better sense to me. All doctors practice differently and Dr. Oz is still a doctor whom I mostly respect. Great thing about America, don't like your doctor, you can get a second opinion :-)

Here's a read.
    http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    Diet soda contains phosphoric acid and citric acid, both are bad for your teeth. Just google it.

Any kind of acid is bad for your teeth. better never have vinegar, lemons, oranges, apples and bubbly water ever again.
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's something I'm not bothered about cutting out. The most I tend to have in a day is 3 cans of diet Pepsi/Coke and I used to drink regular Coke like it was water so I'm fine with a couple of cans of diet soda every day. I know the bad sides of drinking diet soda but there's also a lot of research out there that suggests its all BS anyway so it's difficult. But I enjoy drinking it so...*shrug*
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My opinion. Ditch the soda. I used to drink pepsi a lot but eventually I cut down & now I don't touch it. Saved me a lot of calories & sugar. Also diet drinks aren't the best thing to drink. In some ways they can be worse than the non diet soda plus it doesn't really do anything for you. Soda just gets you hyper & makes you crave more of it. It can also help with weight loss to get rid of it as well as it will save you lots of money.

The only thing you're correct on is the saving money part. Otherwise, No.

Absolutely not! Soda is dumb. There's no nutritional value density wise in the thing - it can cause weight gain, rots teeth, it's sick stuff. I cannot believe there are people on here who espouse drinking soda is fine as long as it fits into your macros. That's BS. Soda is awful stuff. No debate and plenty of evidence - and screw the "show me" crap.

Watch it.

Just because you have issues with soda, doesn't mean other people do. I lost almost 60lbs while drinking diet soda, have successfully been maintaining the loss for two years now, and I'm in excellent health by every marker my doctor goes by. Every.Single.One.

I drink diet soda because I enjoy the taste of it. Simple as that. Diet soda has not had any adverse affects on me at all. None.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

But diet soda is recommended to diabetics so this doesn't even make any sense . . .

It's not that diabetics are recommended to drink diet soda, it's just that if you must drink soda, diabetics are advised to drink diet. Many doctors would likely recommend other beverages instead if asked which were suitable.

I had my yearly appointment last month with my doctor and she had no problem at all with me drinking diet soda when we talked about it. She also complimented me on how healthy I was and told me to keep doing what I was doing, because it was working so well.

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

The study to which you are referring has been debunked many times. Your body just doesn't work that way. However, if you personally feel like it makes you hungrier, then avoid it. It doesn't have that affect on everyone.

Also, disregard anything that Dr. Oz says. I'd listen to my cat's advice before I'd listen to his. The guy is a moron and a shill.

The great thing about theory is that it's just that, a theory. I'm the type of person that asks a lot of questions, researches and then forms an opinion. When I see patients in my practice I can also collect objective data and keep it stored in my long term memory for topics such as these. So i'll continue to think this until something else makes better sense to me. All doctors practice differently and Dr. Oz is still a doctor whom I mostly respect. Great thing about America, don't like your doctor, you can get a second opinion :-)

Level 1 clinical studies trump personal anecdotes.

Calorie free sweeteners do not impact insulin or insulin sensitivity at the cell level.

Having an opinion is fun, because no one can take it away from you without presenting their belief in a constructive way, with evidence. If you preformed the clinical trials yourself please send me the link and I'll be happy to educate myself. Until then I respect the doctors I work with, the research I do and the patients we treat.

1. http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/296/4/G735

2. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666310000826

Here is the peer reviewed and published literature that support my statement.

I've only seen you on the forum for about a day, but I've noticed a HUGE double standard where you assert your opinion as fact, demand that everyone respect your 'authoritay' as a 'nurse' and then when you are challenged with actual facts and your lack of real experience you fall back on "we're all entitled to our opinions :smile: "

Next time, find some research of your own before you spout of misinformation. And peer reviewed journals carry a little more weight that Dr. Oz.
  • Ibarra951
    Ibarra951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Despite research claiming all the negative effects that Diet Soda could potentially give you (see health dot com for some of the claims) for my reasons and purposes I have not given up Diet Soda. During one of my more successful cuts, I used Diet Soda to help "top me off" when it comes to satiety. It helped me feel more full after a meal, it also helps me during snacking times. I've gone from 210 to 168 while drinking diet soda, so I don't think it's going to stunt weight loss. At least for my case.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Level 1 clinical studies trump personal anecdotes.

Calorie free sweeteners do not impact insulin or insulin sensitivity at the cell level.

Having an opinion is fun, because no one can take it away from you without presenting their belief in a constructive way, with evidence. If you preformed the clinical trials yourself please send me the link and I'll be happy to educate myself. Until then I respect the doctors I work with, the research I do and the patients we treat.

1. http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/296/4/G735

2. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666310000826

Here is the peer reviewed and published literature that support my statement.

I've only seen you on the forum for about a day, but I've noticed a HUGE double standard where you assert your opinion as fact, demand that everyone respect your 'authoritay' as a 'nurse' and then when you are challenged with actual facts and your lack of real experience you fall back on "we're all entitled to our opinions :smile: "

Next time, find some research of your own before you spout of misinformation. And peer reviewed journals carry a little more weight that Dr. Oz.

I went back and looked at a handful of those posts. Wow, what an attitude.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-5 cans of diet soda a day, depending on my mood. It helps keep my sweet tooth at bay for almost zero calories. I don't see a problem at all.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Soda is very acidic on your tooth enamel. I would recommend cutting back to one a day.

Or drink your 6 a day through a straw.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    it seems like coke's ad campaign to discredit all the research against asparatame in diet coke starting in 2013 has worked. I'm not going to link studies. You can research and decide for yourself. I used to drink 4-5 cans of it a day. I still crave a fountain diet coke from McDonalds on occasion. But I know it's not good for me just as I know oreos are not good for me. But boy do they taste yummy.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    it seems like coke's ad campaign to discredit all the research against asparatame in diet coke starting in 2013 has worked. I'm not going to link studies. You can research and decide for yourself. I used to drink 4-5 cans of it a day. I still crave a fountain diet coke from McDonalds on occasion. But I know it's not good for me just as I know oreos are not good for me. But boy do they taste yummy.

That's actually a thing?

Sorry, I didn't realize there was an ad campaign, I just did my normal research through actual studies.

Nice passive-aggressive shot at the rest of the people who do their own research as well.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Take off your tinfoil hat and read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Some "chemikillz" are a little less scary when you understand what they actually are.
  • tanyamclattenburg
    tanyamclattenburg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2L of Pepsi then to diet Pepsi a day. My sisters teased me I had "blood in my pepsi stream" I drank it so much. Just 3 weeks ago I cut it out completely, cold turkey. Suffered with headaches for the entire time then they just went away. The caffeine didn't affect me, energy drinks I laugh at them. But I needed to get a handle on the addiction.

I've been doing great the last 3 weeks and on occasion still have a diet 7-up to get that pop fix. My son calls it my "fizzy stuff" when he goes to the store for me. I don't even keep it in the house anymore to reduce the cravings. If I want it I have to go to the store to get it.

Nothing wrong with that. As long as it fits into my calories and other measures I'm happy.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

Nothing wrong with soda OR Oreos in moderation :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    After giving up all artificial sweeteners (Diet Soda / Crystal Light etc.) two years ago, my body cannot tolerate any of those anymore. They make me very ill. I drink herbal tea in the AM, water & Kombucha.

Funny how people who never had it before and drink it for the first time don't get ill from it.

Probably the same way when people eat gluten & highly processed foods & it doesn't bother them. I've become very sensitive to all of it since eliminating it from my diet.
  • lau_rolypoly2holymoly
    lau_rolypoly2holymoly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Think you would notice a difference and feel less bloated if had it less regularly
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    laurief86 wrote: »
    Think you would notice a difference and feel less bloated if had it less regularly

I keep reading about the bloating/soda connection and I'm genuinely confused by it. I realize everyone is different, but I've had NO issues with bloating and I drink 2-4 cans of diet soda a day. My profile picture was actually taken just after I had drank a can of diet soda.