How can I get toned with strength training without looking bulky?

Options
5'1", and last time I checked I weighed 115.8 lbs. I have a couple more pounds to go before I'm done cutting, but I don't want to end up skinny fat and still have my arms jiggle when I walk. I certainly don't want to look bulky. I just want a flat stomach and legs that don't sag or rub together. I don't have any equipment except for two three pounds weights that I found in my closet. I don't have a big enough budget for any more than that. Any advice?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Women don't get bulky from lifting weights unless they're on steroids. Especially if they're on a calorie deficit.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    First you're not going to look bulky with 2-3 lb weights. Second you're not going to look bulky lifting really heavy weights. Third, you may want to look into a body weight progression program since you don't have any really heavy weights.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Get yourself to the gym and lift something heavy. Examples of good programs are strongcurves and stronglifts. If you eat at miantenance, you will not get bulky. The only way to get bulky would be to eat at a surplus and gain weight.
  • sunnydays851
    sunnydays851 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Women don't get bulky from lifting weights unless they're on steroids. Especially if they're on a calorie deficit.

Oh, thanks! I was getting a bit worried there. I am not the type to look good when bulky!
  • sunnydays851
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I will try your suggestions! As you can tell, I really didn't know what I was doing (or, more accurately, what I was thinking about doing.) I never tried to lose weight or get toned before this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    You're definitely safe from bulking up with 3 # weights, (and 5, ...)

I get nice tone using weights up to 15 #.

If you strike out on yard sales, thrift shops, craigslist and freecyle for higher weights, you can use half gallon and gallon jugs with handles of water. 1 gallon weighs 8.35 pounds.

Here's more on making a weight set from things you have around the house: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Weight-Set
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LOL..
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Get yourself to the gym and lift something heavy. Examples of good programs are strongcurves and stronglifts. If you eat at miantenance, you will not get bulky. The only way to get bulky would be to eat at a surplus and gain weight.

you don't have to lift heavy to get the results the OP is looking for.

OP try bodyweight programs such as I am my own gym or Jillian Michael's DVDs...I personally know those who use them and they are very lean visible abs etc.

If you like the idea of heavy lifting (I heavy lift and love it) the above programs are great along with new rules of lifting for women or starting strength.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yoga will also give you a slim toned body. It also have other benefits.
  • sunnydays851
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

you don't have to lift heavy to get the results the OP is looking for.

OP try bodyweight programs such as I am my own gym or Jillian Michael's DVDs...I personally know those who use them and they are very lean visible abs etc.

If you like the idea of heavy lifting (I heavy lift and love it) the above programs are great along with new rules of lifting for women or starting strength.
    Yoga will also give you a slim toned body. It also have other benefits.
    Great ideas! I've been looking to try yoga. :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I'm a yoga teacher and I recommend Rodney Yee's AM Stretch DVD for beginners or those looking for a gentle stretch before or after a workout:

There's a cheaper DVD of updated sequences with Colleen instead of Patricia for the PM Stretch, but I haven't seen this one and see there were a lot of reviews saying it wasn't actually suitable for beginners.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    weights_zps77901ae3.jpg
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You could try bodyweight exercises (you can find demos on Youtube), and also find exercises to try with the weights you currently have, although to progress in the future you will possibly want to invest in more if you can (try Gumtree or local Facebook groups where you can pick up stuff cheap or perhaps swap items you want to get rid of for things you want). I don't have much experience with yoga, but Pilates is great for developing a stronger core.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky from lifting weights, it's nothing to worry about. Since you said you don't have any weights to lift right now, look up convict conditioning. It's better then nothing until you can get yourself some heavier weights.
  • TillMann1
    TillMann1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey sunny!
    You don't need any weights for training, actually all you need is a couple of books, a backpack, a chair, a table or whatever you can find at home. In the words of my mentor Mark Lauren "You are your own gym", I'd highly recommend buying "Body by you" by Mark Lauren, which is aimed especially at women, or get the App from Mark Lauren on your iOS or Android, of course just in case you have a smartphone. Do not check it out, do not consider buying it, buy it and use it, throw away your weights cause you don't need them! I can only talk from experience, I'm very toned and not bulky at all and I work out everyday with his exercises at home. You will love it and ask yourself why you ever used weights. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    TillMann1 wrote: »
    Hey sunny!
    You don't need any weights for training, actually all you need is a couple of books, a backpack, a chair, a table or whatever you can find at home. In the words of my mentor Mark Lauren "You are your own gym", I'd highly recommend buying "Body by you" by Mark Lauren, which is aimed especially at women, or get the App from Mark Lauren on your iOS or Android, of course just in case you have a smartphone. Do not check it out, do not consider buying it, buy it and use it, throw away your weights cause you don't need them! I can only talk from experience, I'm very toned and not bulky at all and I work out everyday with his exercises at home. You will love it and ask yourself why you ever used weights. Good luck!

Until you injury yourself...

weights were designed to be lifted etc...a back pack with books is fine but not long term.

But no weights are not required resistance training, body weight workouts etc.

• TillMann1
    TillMann1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey sunny!

weights were designed to be lifted etc...a back pack with books is fine but not long term.

Injury yourself? I mean if you're clumsy enough that might happen but then that's not the fault of your equipment, I wasn't talking about lifting chairs, tables and books with your hands, in case you maybe thought that's what I meant lol. You're right of course, I'm using real weights that I put in my backpack because I can't put enough books in mine to be heavy enough, I also got a chin up bar for my doors but I've worked out with only what I had at home for months and nothing ever happened to me. I understand, you don't know the exercises I mean or haven't seen them yet but I can guarantee and promise you that every single one of them is injury free, if of course you execute them correctly. :smile:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you want to try yoga or lifting, please sign up for a session with a trainer/yoga teacher to learn proper form. It's essential for safety and getting the results you want.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Hey sunny!

Injury yourself? I mean if you're clumsy enough that might happen but then that's not the fault of your equipment, I wasn't talking about lifting chairs, tables and books with your hands, in case you maybe thought that's what I meant lol. You're right of course, I'm using real weights that I put in my backpack because I can't put enough books in mine to be heavy enough, I also got a chin up bar for my doors but I've worked out with only what I had at home for months and nothing ever happened to me. I understand, you don't know the exercises I mean or haven't seen them yet but I can guarantee and promise you that every single one of them is injury free, if of course you execute them correctly. :smile:

carrying a book bag/back pack around with weights/books is going to injure a person.

there will be constant pressure on your shoulders and back.

this coming from someone who did it for years in the military...it puts undo pressure on a lot of areas on your body that can and eventually will cause issues.