How can I get toned with strength training without looking bulky?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'm still wondering if someone can find me a "Madonna is bulky" photo anywhere?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I agree, Madonnas arms look like zombie arms. Jessica's don't look bulky to me in the slightest.

Zombie arms?! I will be a happy woman if my arms look half as good at 56. And no, have to agree, neither Jessica or cherlize look bulky either.

OP as others have said, bulky CANNOT happen by accident.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    What is going on in this thread?

Low body fat now = bulky? Have I wandered into Bizarro world?

I know. It's crazy. I think some people have seen too much pro-ana thinspo on Pinterest.

Preach. All this negative talk about having visible lean muscle mass (i.e. buff fest, bulkiness, manliness) is getting me really down. I’ll just go deadlift something heavy now (i.e. heavier than Madonna).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    madonna_super_bowl_halftime_17.jpg
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    What is going on in this thread?

Low body fat now = bulky? Have I wandered into Bizarro world?

I know. It's crazy. I think some people have seen too much pro-ana thinspo on Pinterest.

Preach. All this negative talk about having visible lean muscle mass (i.e. buff fest, bulkiness, manliness) is getting me really down. I’ll just go deadlift something heavy now (i.e. heavier than Madonna).

I don't get how visible muscle on a woman is unattractive? I wish more and more women would lift weights.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    No bulk, low body fat... that's what that is.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    weights_zps77901ae3.jpg

This.....
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I got right on that and came across this hilarious article that pokes fun of the popular view of female lifters via stock photos. This one’s my favourite:
    happy-fitness-woman-lifting-dumbbells-bac267.jpg

A little quote:
    Also, please don’t lift anything more than 20lbs or you will get gross and bulky like Madonna or Jessica Biel in Blade 3. As long as you keep doing bicep curls in front of the mirror with a bored look on your face after 30 minutes spent on the recumbent bicycle in the “fat loss” zone while reading SELF or PEOPLE, you are guaranteed to look like Jennifer Aniston, who, as we all know (because she constantly reminds us), has achieved the perfect female body through a strict regimen of low-impact yoga and a diet of bottled water and organic macrobiotic vegan salad.

LOL. I’m loving Madonna’s look here:
    madonnas-arms-wow-or-eww.jpg

Can’t beat a good pump.

And yopeeps, I’m with you!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    madonna_super_bowl_halftime_17.jpg

So she was lean and shredded in this picture. I don't see a lot of muscle mass though which is what bulky is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So she was lean and shredded in this picture. I don't see a lot of muscle mass though which is what bulky is.

She looks bulky to me in the image above (the jogging one). Sorry if my opinion bothers some of you :p

But I agree, there's also the whole 'low body fat' thing (which I'm definitely not afraid of getting, because that's not gonna happen). But it's a good point. And that's the problem with lifting, you can't decide where you lose the fat, so you might end up with arms more defined than you'd like just to get a flat belly.
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I really don't mean to be rude but I always laugh when I see this. " I think I am going to skip golf this weekend as I don't want to end up like Rory McIlroy." Sounds crazy doesn't it. The benefit of lifting weights is a toned, fit appearance, most people will never achieve super bulky muscles and certainly not without trying to eat more and lift a lot of weight consistently.

Go ahead and lift those weights and feel great about it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I got right on that and came across this hilarious article that pokes fun of the popular view of female lifters via stock photos. This one’s my favourite:
    happy-fitness-woman-lifting-dumbbells-bac267.jpg

A little quote:
    Also, please don’t lift anything more than 20lbs or you will get gross and bulky like Madonna or Jessica Biel in Blade 3. As long as you keep doing bicep curls in front of the mirror with a bored look on your face after 30 minutes spent on the recumbent bicycle in the “fat loss” zone while reading SELF or PEOPLE, you are guaranteed to look like Jennifer Aniston, who, as we all know (because she constantly reminds us), has achieved the perfect female body through a strict regimen of low-impact yoga and a diet of bottled water and organic macrobiotic vegan salad.

LOL. I’m loving Madonna’s look here:
    madonnas-arms-wow-or-eww.jpg

Can’t beat a good pump.

And yopeeps, I’m with you!

That article is hilarious, and the blog exceptionally well-named. (but is not any relation)
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

She looks bulky to me in the image above (the jogging one). Sorry if my opinion bothers some of you :p

But I agree, there's also the whole 'low body fat' thing (which I'm definitely not afraid of getting, because that's not gonna happen). But it's a good point. And that's the problem with lifting, you can't decide where you lose the fat, so you might end up with arms more defined than you'd like just to get a flat belly.

It doesn't bother me that you find her low body fat% a problem. Calling it bulky is the problem because she is not bulky in those pics.

If your body fat drops to low than you can switch to eating in surplus and gain more fat to cover the muscle definition.
  • Emilia777
    Options

You’re more than welcome to your opinion, even if our opinions are different. One thing I don’t get though is what people who think that’s bulky (i.e. yourself) consider to be an ideal look. Can you post some photos/links? I’m actually curious.

@HeySwoleSister Glad you enjoyed it! And lol @ the name, that’s pretty funny.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

You’re more than welcome to your opinion, even if our opinions are different. One thing I don’t get though is what people who think that’s bulky (i.e. yourself) consider to be an ideal look. Can you post some photos/links? I’m actually curious.

My favorite quote goes with the photo in your post: IMMA GET SO TONE!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Here's an article by Bret Contreras on this subject that you might find helpful:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

He has a program (book) called Strong Curves, he has a program without much upper body work for women with your goals. He has a body weight only version in the book, you could do it from home.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Arnold Schwarzenegger once answered this pretty funnily
    Arnold: I encourage everyone to lift weights, it is good for everyone.
    Reporter: But I don't want to get big like you.
    Arnold: Don't worry, you never will.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I am going to guess that it is a woman with more body fat than shredded Madonna. I think she would find younger more body fat Madonna more attractive than shredded Madonna.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

What? The problem with lifting is you can't decide where you lose fat? Um, you can never decide where you lose fat.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

You don't just "end up with arms more defined than you'd like", while eating in a way that will provide a flat belly. Just, flat out, ain't gonna happen. If, while losing weight, and lifting, you find your arms, or legs, or pinky muscles to be progressing toward a look you find unappealing, simply change your method of exercise. But nobody accidentally turns out bulky, lean, defined, fat, or obese.