feel good
    and happy with my food and exercise
    resting now it is night time, sweet dreams to you all
    Evangelia from the Greek islands
    PS I shall attempt to upload photos
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Hello! Got to the last page ... Kept pressing next and when nothing happened realized I FINALLY have read all the posts!

Love the love stories! Mine was a blind date. Our second date was on Valentine's Day and he came with a dozen roses. Husband was working swing shift at the time and was on a month of straight days. When he found out my very crappy oven in my very crappy apartment was throwing flames, he insisted on taking me out to dinner every night that month. He proposed after 4 weeks on the way to look at a house he was considering buying ... I was along just for the ride... Really, I only had known him 4 weeks. Naturally I really didn't see the house after being proposed to or I would never had agreed to it ... No storage space ... Which I remedied years later when we moved. We were married 3 months later and it wil be 31 years in August. I would not recommend the short courtship ... We really didn't know one another ... But I wouldn't change anything either!

Machelle ... Hugs! Meltdowns are acceptable and even necessary sometimes I think. This group here is a great place for support.

Jen in CA ... Money issues certainly have caused arguments in my household ... But I'm the tightwad here.

Statins ... Won't take them and not fully convinced that cholesterol is really a marker for heart disease. I have read that since the recommendation on cholesterol was made ... Diabetes and Alzheimer's has been on the rise. One study revealed that patients tested in a seniors home were more likely to show dementia with LOW cholesterol . Those with higher than recommended levels of cholesterol scored significantly higher on mental functioning test. Who knows??

Swimming ... If there's a puddle, I'm in it. Love the water, always have! Someone mentioned supervising kids. Supervise everyone! It's very easy to slip or fall ... My husband worries when I swim at the house alone. A few summers back two boys were swimming at a home pool... Both swim team members ... Mom stepped away to come back to find both boys unconscious in the deep end. Found out they had both decided to dive at same time and hit heads. She had to choose which boy to pull out first ... She left her son to pull out the friend. Story ended well ... Neighbor heard her screams and helped get her son out. No lasting damage. It just takes a second ....

So we bought a van which will sit in driveway until state approves wheelchair modifications... 3-5 months they think ...
    Dumb. But modifications run 15,000-20,000 depending on vendor so worth the wait.

Sylvia ... Thought of you when finance manager started spiel on extended warranty coverage ... DH could hardly keep civil ... We did not buy any.

Hope you're all having a good day!

Beth

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Hi ..im gin! I am 64 ...5/1....130.
    I am small built. So...in that light , I would like to say :smile: I have always been into exercising. .most all my life. The last 10 years or so..I have been lazy! I always said I need to stay under 120..at the most! Now I say I need to stay under 130..at the most! Lol. ..well..I went o WWs..last year when I climbed up to 140. I lost 12-13 lbs. Which was my weight goal for my age and size WHAT EVER!! I am a lifetime member..but I havent been attending the meeting every month..mainly because every dang time..I get ready to go....at 6pm...I might add!..I WEIGHT MORE THEN I WANT TO! SO..I DONT GO....ok...here's where I am now....WEIGHT 130..GAINED A COUPLE LBS...BUT NOT REALLY..DEPENDING ON THE DAY.
    MY GOAL BY AUG. IS : 123-4. I NEED TO LOSE 7 MORE LBS..IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO STAY UNDER 125...SO..NOW I AM SAYING
    NO MORE THAN 125LBS FOR ME! PLEASE PLEASE..RESPOND!

I gained weight on WW; sister lost and became a life member. I decided after so many diets; that I would talk to DH about the Weight Control program at my MD's office. He said that most people were having success. I am not walking on my treadmill when I can't get in the pool. I walk in the pool as long as I can in the afternoons. Saturday I walked for 2 and a 1/2 hours. Family members and guests were in there, too; started following me; and I think they have just about decided that it was better exercise than just walking, period.

I've lost 11lbs in 6 weeks. Third time being weighed every 2 weeks. I don't weigh at home; but tonight I will have to be careful not to do anything else but, drink one of my shakes for supper. My snacks (if I have one, will be a small salad. Tomatoes are fresh and they will add to it (for taste). Might boil a few eggs to have hanging around for just this type of snack time. Don't know the caloric value of a boiled egg, will have to check that out first.

Got 43 more pounds to get to my goal weight and then a little more at the end. I'd like to get to 145lb if possible. Of course, my GYN thinks I need to weigh 125 or less. That's not gonna happen; I weighed that when I married and I've had 3 pregnancies, 2 with living children. Both grown, married, with children. I enjoy my grands, all but 1, live next door. 19-year-old is coming home from college on Friday. Can't wait to see her. She's my 'heart'. First born seem to do that to ya. Love them all 'equally' but 'differently'. Just like my sons. They are polar opposites but have a 'great' relationship. Just wish we lived closer to the one out in Louisiana. All grands are girls; but, we are still hoping for another grand; doesn't matter what the sex is. I've told my 'new' DnL that I have been dreaming about twins. Oh Lord! Son dreams about twins, too; once he dreamed they had triplets. Don't go there - we'll take one or two - 3 would be a little much to carry. But, I told her that I would come out to help after her mother did her stint. But, even if she does not have one, we love her child as much as we love the other ones. She's just got to figure out what she wants to call me. It has to be anything other than Grandmother, Granny, or Grandmama or anything like that. My others call me Nana; but, she already has one Nana; and that might be a little confusing. My grands have 2 Nana's . . . I'm called "Tiny Nana" and the other one is called "Big Nana" . . . only because the one we call "little bit' named us that. I looked 'tiny' to her whenever I was out in the yard; we live next door to one another. When we are all together and someone says "Nana" we both answer and then they'll refer to us as "Nana Lenora" and/or "Nana Patsy".

Lenora
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Kim from N. California – Wonderful solution to tasting for three classes. It sounds like a plan for success to me.

One of our local stores came in today and gave a cooking demo at noon. She made enough food that everyone in the group could have eaten their entire lunch from her samples. I tried just one bite of everything and got enough in that one bite to know that I will be making 2 out of 3 of those recipes at home. The good news is that she was demoing healthy cooking so nothing was too caloric. She gave us calorie counts for a serving of each dish. However, I brought my lunch today and have my meals planned out so I didn’t want to go hog wild on the sampling. I’ll make a guess as to how much I ate and add some calories for the samples.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan – At first I read your post as saying you were hiding potatoes and I was going to ask you why. Then I realized you were hilling potatoes and it made sense to me. That’s hard work. I’m sure you racked up some calories expended on that task.

Joyce, Indiana I put a dab of preparation H under my eyes last night before I went to bed. I didn’t see an appreciable change when I got up this morning. I wonder if it is one of those things that you need to do for a number of days before it shows improvements?

I am keeping your DH in my thoughts. I hope he finds relief soon.

Tere in Richmond VA – When I go on vacation I always pack protein bars so I’ll have something to eat when the urge hits me. The ones with a chocolate covering can make a huge mess in the summertime but they have been a real lifesaver (for the person with me) the few times I’ve needed to resort to one. When I start acting irrational my close friends know to calmly ask me “When is the last time you have eaten?”

Yvonne – DH and I also met on a computer bulletin board in the days before the internet. Matter of fact, I owned a modem and a dumb terminal. No computer at all. It was just a site where local people chatted, not a dating site.

Once a month the group held a dinner at a local restaurant so that folks could meet each other face to face if they wanted. I met DH and a friend of his at one of those local dinners. About a month later I went to a Science Fiction convention where I knew maybe 3 people. I wandered into a room and saw DH and his friend so I went over to say Hi. We got to talking and when it was time for dinner they invited me to join a group of about 20 people to go out for sushi. To this day when DH tells the story of how we met he talks about the SF convention. He didn’t remember meeting me the month before at the dinner.

At the end of the convention DH asked me if I would like to go out for sushi the following weekend. His friend who was standing close by said that sounded like fun and the 3 of us met the following Sat for dinner. I worked out of town during the week so the 3 of us kept arranging to meet for sushi every Sat for nearly 2 months. I thought I was just meeting friends for dinner. Nothing more. Then the time came when DH asked about meeting the following week and his friend said something about already having plans. DH responded “Good. You weren’t invited anyway.” That’s when the light bulb came on and I realized this guy was asking me on a date, not just to meet as friends. 3 months later we bought a house together and a year after that we got married. This August will mark our 28th anniversary.

In a day or so I’ll tell the tale of how we came to be married. The man never proposed to me nor I to him and yet, here we are.

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Lenora – Try looking up ethnic name for grandmother. I really like what one friend is called - “Lola” which is Filipino.

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Terrific Tuesday, Everyone. Welcome Newbies! We're glad you're here.

This am the scale said -0.8. Yay! Despite eating a high calorie dinner last night that was definitely off plan. I've had so many days where my calories were very low (only 650 to 800). Thank God, this didn't have a negative effect. I'm back on track now.

Would like to know, what successful techniques have you used to prevent an overindulgence from happening? (I'm not talking about binge eating. My downfall is eating very little to nothing all day, then indulging in a high fat, high calorie Italian or Mexican dinner, including 2 glasses of red wine plus dessert sometimes.) Yes, I realize part of me likes this and it feels good/stress relief. My total calories yesterday added up to 1750. Not in the usual 800 to 1000 range for me.

Looking forward to some sound tips that I can use B4 I'm ravenous and then eat this type of restaurant dinner.

Thank you! - Nancy in Fort Worth, now Sunny TX

Nancy, I do that too some days, not eat then realize its 4pm and I want to eat everything in sight. Sometimes I buy foods and separate into snack bags. Nuts, grapes, healthy chips to have with peach salsa (my fav!) and then I treat food as eating a vitamin eating the baggies worth of stuff every 2 hrs. That helps when you don't have time to actually sit and fix a lunch, plus when dinner comes around you can stay in control. Preparing for days like that is like getting ready for war and you have to plan your attack. I have military sons and husband, so I tend to think in those terms when setting up my kitchen. I cook with a couple of days of meals in mind. Soups are great for that. Also cooking up wild rice in larger batches, and scooping out portions to put into baggies for the frig helps. Just quickly saute' some fresh spinach or a cut up zucchini, add about 1/4 cup of water, spices, and the wild rice. If its a main meal just add some beans to the mixture. I like the White Northern because they are creamy. For more crunch add garbonzo beans. I use the fat free Italian dressing for spices too.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I see peeps posting their love stories, so here is mine. <3
    I worked at a US Bank in Portland, and was friends with the breakroom lady, Gracie. She would talk of her handsome Navy son now and then. I had my tea most morning breaks with a Scottish lady named Florie Milligan. She called me one afternoon and said, "Come down to the breakroom immediately". I rushed down and she said, " Rebecca, this is Lee, Lee this is Rebecca." Gracie's son had come home on leave, and he was visiting his Mom in the breakroom. We talked and I remember thinking, I am going to marry that man one day.... That evening he called and we went to dinner. That weekend we went to the coast. On Sunday I watched him pack for a 'WestPac" cruise. He called me now and then and it was always my heart in my throat moment. After 6 months out to sea, he called me from Hawaii, and proposed to me. He returned home August 1984, and we were married the next month. Its now been 30 yrs, and its wonderful to be married to your best friend.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options

smiley-cool05.gif I just started reading "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin (she also wrote "The Happiness Project)". It is a fabulous book (I've read excerpts of it on her blog). The book is about creating new habits and one of her points is that habits will often replace the need for willpower. I highly recommend the book to everyone. I have a copy from the local library.

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Enjoy reading the posts.

Janetr too cute...puppies.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Finally got internet after 2 days.More storms coming in tonite.
    hugs
    jane
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Enjoy reading the posts.

Janetr too cute...puppies.

:heart: MNMargaret

Thanks Margaret, my husband is good at training them and they are well behaved and love to travel with us. We enjoy them a lot.

• janetr7476
    Options
    @Annr - thanks for sharing your love story. That's a wonderful story. I'm having such a good time reading all of them. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    arue3idghwfo.jpg

Nails for Vegas!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Heather, I don’t think your admin sorting is all that simple for anyone. Those things have consequences if done improperly so definitely need some thought. I don’t like any transaction that has my bank account information on it. At least you aren’t traveling 6 hours to babysit for 2 hours. I’m sure you and your grands will enjoy it.

Nancy, the first question is, “do you want to lose some weight?” Second, what is your daily calorie goal? Eating 800 calories a day is not a way to lose weight. I call your indulging in a high fat, high calorie meal, binging. You need to plan your meals and stick to as close to 1200 calories a day as possible. It’s one thing to be over or under once in a while but 1700 calories is a bit much. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but I assume you are here because you want support in this journey. My support is to say, get real! Do you want to work hard to get what you want or do you want to eat what you want when you want? You have to choose.

Mia, what a fantastic journey you have been on. 149 pounds is wonderful!!!! I’m at about 32 BMI also. I would have been out of obese if I had not figured out that I shrunk 3 inches. Lol You are definitely headed the right way.

Muscadinejelli, welcome to the forum. This is a great group of ladies that will give wonderful support and information. There are some here that have been on MFP for years and maintaining and there are some new and just starting this journey. Come often, it helps. Log everything you eat and drink. We wish you luck. We do ask that you tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you. Also, please sign each post with the name you want us to call you.

DrKatie, I find it so interesting that we can live with someone and take the things they do, in a certain way. Then when we discover (or even think) that there is another reason, other than them just being mean or a jerk, it is so much easier to take. I wonder how many people I have known, worked with, seen often, or whatever, that have an underlying condition or disease that I never even considered? It sure puts a different light on things. I know when I have had such severe back pain at times, it has made me rather “grumpy” to say the least. People around me probably just thought I was a mean, grumpy lady and never knew how much pain I was in. Just some rambling thoughts when reading about your DH.

MicheleNC, I hate to ask, but I must have missed something. What is the deal with the hairdryer and what did it work for? LOL I’m glad it worked but too curious to not ask. You sound like me about your kickboard. Pound wise and penny foolish, as DH would say. If you want and need the kickboard, just spend the extra $3 and get it. I don’t like to throw money away but sometimes we miss out on things because we are trying to save. Now on the subject of the weights. Why don’t you use them? Would it not be something for an occasional change up? Just asking. The last year that we lived in Atlanta, where we had the pool, I finally broke down and got a very expensive float. It was the kind that felt like it was made of some type of foam and you didn’t blow it up. I loved it and then we ended up moving and I think I sold it in a garage sale for 1/10th of what it costed. But I did enjoy it while I had it.

Sylvia, how wonderful that you met your DH. Wow, it will be 20 years soon. Good for you both.

Evangelina, glad it’s getting a bit easier for you. It is definitely a work in progress for most of us, learning what works and what doesn’t. You are certainly doing well on your exercising, so once you get the eating in line, you should have great success. We’d love to see some pictures of the area where you live. Good luck with the journey.

Yannie, what’s a little “antelope” among friends? Lol smiley-bounce013.gif My DH is not quite as anti-social as yours, but on the verge. It is nice that he doesn’t have a problem with me doing my own thing, but I do wish he participated a bit more. The big difference is, that he always did when we were younger.

Renny, it’s interesting that both your sisters ended up in the Netherlands while you live on the West Coast of Canada. Where did ya’ll start out and who did the moving?

Jkdooley, welcome. You will find us a very supportive and informative group of ladies. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. Please sign each post with the name you want us to call you and a location, general or specific. Come often and join right in.

Katla, glad DS was not unhappy with the work you had done. Was it actually good that “his staff” wasn’t able to do this job for him and he had to do a bit himself? So glad the saddle sores are better! Have a ball at the reunion. I also smile every time I read about the butt cream.

JanetM, I’m sorry but I had to laugh. A typewriter attachment sounds like a piece of office equipment, not a job title.

Joyce, I’m just so sorry for your DH;s problems. I too, hope he will take any treatment they can give and that it helps quickly. I hand it to you for putting up with everything. None of them are perfect, but some don’t make it easy. ((((Hugs)))) Oh and about the silent treatment….I love my DH dearly but once in a while, I wish he’d just shut up! He talks nonstop! I mean, nonstop, do you hear what I’m saying? Non Stop! A silent treatment would be welcomed once in a while. lolsmiley-ashamed008.gif
    I met my DH in a normal way, too. We met at a Christmas party in Dec. 1967. I had a date with the host of the party and DH came with a date. I left town the next day for Christmas break (I was in college) and didn’t return until Jan 3. After I got back I got a phone call from a friend wanting to know if I’d be a 4th in Bridge, partnered with his roommate. My friend and his date picked me up but DH did bring me home. We started dating and were married Aug.3 1968. We went out just about every night so it was as much as some people that date for 2 or 3 years just on weekends. He has been a wonderful husband and my best friend for many years now.

Allison, congrats on your IPad. I hope you enjoy it.

Debbie, welcome. It takes a while to find the right combination and what works for us. Please tell us a bit about yourself to help us get to know you. Sign each post with your name and location if you would. Come often and join right in.

Jen, glad you are getting your stainless steel. I missed how DH is getting what he wants? Is the new one less expensive than the original?

Yvonne, you talked about not liking too many raw veggies. For dinner, do you have something against cooked veggies. Salads are pretty easy to take to work for lunch but there are tons of other veggies you can cook for dinner when you are at home. Just a thought.

Renee, welcome. Come often as this is a great place for support.

Janetr, cute cuddle bunnies.

Beth, I can picture you hopping in every puddle you see. LOL Glad you finally got the van, now for the wait.

Mia, yes, try the Prep H for a while and see if it helps. *grin*

Poop, fancy, smancy nails!!! Go girl.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Wow, it has taken me a while to catch up this morning. I think you are all adding posts as fast as I can read them. Lol Anyway that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I love reading about when you were fat and not that you’re not. I love reading about how you met your men and about your grandchildren. Thank you, my friends for sharing your lives with us. (later) I started to post this this morning and lost connection to the internet. ppffttt Just now able to get back, catch up and send it on it's way. Sorry it's so long but that is because I couldn't post earlier.

I wish you all the best success in your journey and your lives.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    Love ya, smiley-love018.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    @Michele in NC I always prick my beets so I would assume so. Mind you I also prick potato.
    Love reading how everyone met their other halfs.
    I met mine 5 years ago online. We were friends for 12 months before we started to take our relationship further. I didnt see what he looked like until after the 12 months because I live in the UK and he lives in Canada. We are always together in spirit for the time Im in the UK either constantly taking on the phone (we both have a monthly charge that we can talk when ever we want for whatever time we want) 4-6 times a day or we talk on a headset. I stay in Canada for 6 months at a time while we are working out the red tape of actually moving there. I miss waking up with him but love his phone call when he wakes up. I am 7 hours difference time zone. It was he who suggested we take up bike riding in Canada that made me want to continue in the UK when I got back. When we are together we have a great time,when we are apart I miss him. There hasnt been a day since we started talking that I havent talked to him for at least part of the day. Oh and I also get on well with his family unlike him lol.
    Kate
  • janetr7476
    Options
    @Pip - LOVE, love the nails. I'm a "nail" freak lol
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    Options
    @Kate, oh I love your story. Thanks for sharing, hopefully all the red tape it over and done quickly.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    I'm home folks! Phew! Oh the darling darlings! :love:

The chaos at the house was incredible! No power at all, apart from one extension cord which I used to microwave the grandchildren's dinner. Rooms just piled high with stuff. Couldn't find anything! Dust everywhere! But the kitchen will be amazing and the new garden, which I was very disapproving of, is perfect and complements the kitchen perfectly. The cost makes me blench, and the upheaval! ! ! !
    DGD's language is coming on and she is still so feisty. We went out to the playground where she wants to try to go on everything. Then we went to the local, child friendly, café where DH and the grands had cake. I had a TINY taste and ate my Quest bar. It was wonderful and my head is still full of their laughter and adventurous spirit.

We had a good journey home and I had a delicious 360 calorie salad on the train with prawns and salmon and a 40 calorie melon dessert. A small bottle of Prosecco added to the feast. Supermarket snack food has certainly improved and I always look forward to my "train feast". I played my favourite music through my tablet (this time French café tunes) and read a wonderful Irish novel on my tablet. Ain't technology grand! ! ! ! :drinker:

Posting a photo of DH reading his younger daughter's story book to the kids this pm. We had retreated to the relative calm of DGS' s bedroom.

8izv0ixjc4hy.jpg

Hope to RELAX tomorrow. Want to get a grip on paperwork and do some writing which has gone by the board recently. We are back up to London on Saturday to see DH'S twin sister. :noway:

Love Heather UK
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DJ - In answer to your question, I am the one who moved :) DH and I immigrated to Canada in 1970. I was born and raised in the Netherlands and all our family is still there, except for one of DH's brothers, who immigrated to Canada shortly after us. He and his wife live in Ontario, so we do not see them either. Facebook has been a great tool to share family pictures and keep up-to-date.

Newcomers - Welcome. You've found a supportive group of women on this forum.

Barbie - Thanks on the recommendation of Gretchen's new book. I am currently reading a book from the library by Marshall B. Rosenberg: "Nonviolent Communication, A Language of Life". It is so good and practical, I want to buy my own copy.

Yannie - "antilope"; that made me laugh. :p The funniest things happen with autocorrect. There are whole websites out there which are good for a chuckle (and also embarrassment). Where possible, I type my forum comments using the PC and not my tablet for that very reason!! ;)

Time for a mid-afternoon break, ladies. ttyl.

♥Renny