WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    damnit - the bike was custom made for him - he got it last spring, this will be his 2nd season riding it. he waits til its no longer going to rain before he takes it out.

and yes, yogi is a cool pup, he's a blast
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Busy weekend and when I got on here tonight there were almost 200 posts to read (and yes I did scan them all). Saturday up at 5:30am to go to volunteer at a 5K and one mile. That went terribly as one of the runners lost his balance (or footing, I really don't know how he managed it) and barreled full power into the two people doing timing opposite me and my timing partner at the finish line. They both were knocked backwards to the street and the woman (who was on the bottom) hit her head rather hard. Medical help arrived and she was checked for a head injury but insisted on finishing with timing (while holding an ice pack) and swore she'd be able to do the tri she was signed up to do today. Reminded me of the time our bike leader was struck by a car because a woman swerved to miss running over a dead turtle. Ahhhhh.........people!!!!! Then brunch with friends and later on a graduation party........very full long day. Did not log food Saturday but sure I didn't go over.

Today was gorgeous.......70's no humidity......saw Gwen for a few games of Scrabble; she's still "got it". Laundry and work in a nd out of the house; bed soon..........very sooooooon. Comments will be few and brief my friends.

Heather.........Great pic; you look lovely!

Carey........OMG, four hrs of tai chi; I occ. do an hour on a Sat. am if there's no race I'm volunteering for.

Katla......Congrats on your riding NSV!!!!

Mary.........Soooooo happy for you with the house........hmmmmm, guest cottage, you say????

Tina.......Great to see you........retirement.....YAY!!!! Four lbs....good for you!!! Hope your back is better and you can get back to exercising.

Lagopus........Congrats on your trophy!!!

Renny.......Good to see you are still around and doing those 10Ks

Margaret........Sorry your trip was so "exciting".

Mia........Congrats on your 3.2 lb. loss.

G'nite all,
    yanniejannie

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone! I have so much stuff! I find it hard to get rid of things. Will I ever need purple shoelaces??? I think I found Mr Potato Head's feet!!! I have no idea where they came from!

MNMargaret - yes! That would be great. Bring your bike up and we can go riding the trails! Have a safe trip. I'm so glad that you missed the pick up!

Heather - I agree that I would not want guests to run over the top of me. I was thinking of renting it out with a key code to the door so they would not know that I am the owner. And a telephone number that they could call if there are any issues.

Becca- great husband! I'm glad that he is doing better.

Renny- glad you are here. I seem to remember you being here!

Dee Dee - thanks! Enjoy your walk with your dog.

Pip - cool wooden bike! Kirby is such a cutie!

Janetr- I'm like you with the sugar. Welcome to the thread lots of motivation and support here.

Deb - great fitness choices. Barbie is our line dance queen.

Allison - (((hugs))) pip is right. I am on #3 and it is hard to choose to put yourself first. There are support groups in your area that will help you.

Barbie - I love your DH!

Kim - wow! I would love to be a kid in your candy class!

Carey - is Tai Chi like kick boxing?

Michele- I don't know about the color of your turtle. I am a beige person that would like to explode with color like your turtle but afraid to! You did an awesome job on everything else I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

Janetm- I didn't know about the bell icon! I'm going to try it. I can't understand why you don't see my pictures. Weird!

Mia - congrats on the weight loss!

Janet in Myrtle Beach- lots of Janets now! Your day at the beach sounds great. We should visit a different MFP member's town every year. Swimming at your place, biking or walking at mine...

Jan- lots of posts! Guest cabin gotta get it ready for you guys to come out! You really did have a very full and eventful day!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the Newbies!

Penny: Congrats on completing the half-marathon!

Jane: Sorry to hear about the scaiatica.. hope the pain eases off for you soon.

Margaret: So happy that you arrived safely! It's certainly a good thing that you are an alert driver!

Kim: Yep there are a couple of 15 minute breaks in the 4 hours and fortunately sometimes you need to stand and watch the instructor demonstrate...gives you a couple of minutes for a breather. I started Tai Chi in March in the last month of a 3 month beginners course so this quick start is awesome since you learn 1 month of moves each day which has helped me to catch up.

JanetM: A flavorwave oven is a type of convection oven (I think I remember reading that it cooks 3 different ways all at once). It sits on the counter and uses a light bulb and air to bake the food. It's supposed to be faster than a conventional oven and it certainly doesn't heat up the house as much, since it's portable and I can use it out on the deck while I'm enjoying the sunshine.

Yay Mia: 3.2 lbs... AWESOME!

Mary: Tai Chi is considered a martial art and there are some kicks in set, but they are primarily for developing balance. Actually the instructors describe Tai Chi as a moving meditation. The health benefits are numerous.

Well, I'm pretty sore after 2 long days of tai chi...I'm going to go soak in the tub.

Have a great evening my friends.

Carey-Edmonton
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Jane: sorry about your sciatica. I’ve had that in the past.

Margaret: glad you’re OK!

Just a morning check-in. Slept "iffy" again and have to work today. I'm just tired all the time.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our newbies today..Kat, jazzsunday20, elsabe3, quesarahsar, Janetr, Deb, Angie and johinz57! Hope you will love us and come and chat with us often. We are in this to win it!!!

Cynthia, put on some good old 80's music and just move, where ever you are. It will get your feet tappin, your arms moving and your head and shoulders going every which way. Sometime when we travel, I put my ear phones on my phone and listen to 80's cardio on Pandora, You can do all sorts of cardio just sitting in the passenger seat.

Janet Myrtle Beach. I need a favor. I miss the beach and next year we are supposed to be going to Disney World so I have no idea when we will be back there. Post a picture here, good bad or ugly. I don't care. I just need a picture!!!

Pip, did one of your dogs pee on the porch???

Mary, your new house is divine! So happy for you.

Allison, does it have to be an iPad? My daughter has a Samsung tablet and she loves it. Does everything my ipad does. She has a room mate who had to get a new phone and didn't need the $49 Samsung tablet that came with it so Michelle bought it. I have no idea what a Samsung tablet costs since it isn't $49!

Penny, congrats on finishing your 1/2 marathon. Glad your muscles were sending you happy thoughts instead of 'why did you do this to me?'

mimarg, I have MS also, and so does Katla's husband. Is your doing oK right now. My main problem right now is cognitive although I have had some leg weakness and vision problems in the past. Hating the hot weather coming up. My husband will like it that with this weather I will let him park in a handicap space. Usually I feel I don't need one and I am just taking it away from some one who really needs it. But not now. It's just to hot. Oh, he ony wants the handicap space because it is bigger and less chance of the car being hit while in a parking lot.

Becca, you are such a strong woman. I would imagine your marriage is a good combination of 'behind every successful man there is a good woman' and also 'behind every successful woman there is a good man'. You two seem to just fit..

Had another good day in church. I just wish that alarm clock would quit turning itself off and resetting itself an hour later. Today was one of our hard songs to sing and it was beautiful. We work on them for about 6 weeks and then always keep several easy songs ready to sing. Our next hard song, the one that I have to sing tenor for is in 2 or 3 weeks and I am really looking forward to that one. It's such an uplifting and beautiful song. The soloist could have a record contract if she pursued it. I was all set to go to Bob Evans today, Had it in my diary before I ate anything this morning. I try to do the whole days meals. But Charlie changed his mind and wanted to try the ribs at Cheddar's. I love their fish tacos, you get two soft tacos with either grilled or breaded fish garnished with a corn slaw in the taco and cajun tartar sauce. I don't like anything cajun so I left that off. Then I had steamed brocolli, no better. Charlie didn't like the ribs. He is desperately trying to find somewhere that cooks ribs the way he want them and so far all he has gotten out of it is an empty billfold.

We are going to see the new Jurassic Park movie Friday when it comes out. the first one I thought was one of the scariest movies I had ever seen and swore I would never see it again. But NBC showed it last week and I put it on the DVR. So we watched that this evening. It wasn't as scary as I remembered it. I am not really sure why these two guys want to go opening day but that's the plan. I think even the matinee will be jam packed.

Oh, was going to ask last night. Have any of your heard of or had your self a uterine ablation? My oldest daughter is having that tomorrow. I just know of an ablation of the heart and that isn't a fun affair at all. She will have frequent drainage for about 6 weeks. Her job is inside a cave. They have a bathroom but you have two go up two flights of stairs to get to it so they do have a porta potty available. she drinks more water than I do so she goes every hour. She is not looking forward to dealing with this drainage in a porta potty where the men and women use it.

Nighty night girls, Joyce, Indiana.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi there!

Fantastic Penny! I missed your post last night because it must have been about the same time as mine, but went back to find it. What a great achievement! :drinker:

Joyce - how about you AMAZE your hubby and cook him some perfect ribs! :laugh:

Jane - I had sciatica a long time ago and it was the gateway to my writing children's books. Very painful. (((((HUGS)))))

Another nice day here. A deer was in the field behind us this morning. Will do a tiny bit more weeding this pm. My mornings are officially exercise and writing time, so I am playing hookey writing this. >:) I can't tell you how good it feels to have that discipline back in my life. o:)

See you later, Heather UK

PS. Just seen in my email that the Montpellier owner has accepted our offer of a reduced rent for the 2 weeks in December! ! ! ! Just shows it pays to ask! :drinker:
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Poop – Yay for a half-marathon in Seattle! My sister lives there so I know exactly what you mean by hills! Last I visited, I managed to suss out a jogging route that didn't do too much upping and downing, mostly along Lake Washington. It was in the spring and all the cherry trees were in blossom. Quite a refreshing change for someone who lives in a place where the tallest "tree" is less than an inch high.

And thanks the advice about not letting the adrenaline run away with me at the start of the race. In the event it was no problem at all.
    1) There were only about 80 participants in the half-marathon.
    2) I'm a lot steadier than I am fast, so everyone else was way off in the distance after 10 minutes.
    3) I'm old enough to know who I am, so my self-esteem doesn't stand and fall with my results on the racecourse.

I also read your link on hot vs cold water, but I'm going to stick to icewater anyway. Especially since the water we have on tap here contains stone dust and tastes odd if it isn't iced. (Our water comes from a glacier runoff lake and the dust is so fine it can't be filtered out. If I don't wipe the kitchen and bathroom counters dry every day, the water spots leave a residue so thick it almost turns crunchy within a week.) Interesting thing, though: the water stations at the half-marathon served water at about body temperature! I guess it wasn't considered necessary to cool the runners when the air temperature was only a few degrees above freezing.

Lenora – There are so many posts between that this response is almost ancient history, but I really enjoyed the stories about your roommates, past and present. :)

Gilly – Let me hasten to add that I didn't specifically mean that Norwich was a beautiful place, I meant East Anglia in general! The little rolling hills, the way the sky embraces the treetops along the waterways... I can still smell the wild peppermint down by the river, and it's been 30 years!

Chris in MA – I can totally relate to what you say about how important it is to be able to share weight loss trials, tribulations and (not least) victories. My dear husband is supportive in a general way, but he tends to put on a worried frown when I do anything "obsessive" like weighing my food(!). The result is that I hide my struggle.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon... Your ticker is so inspiring... the way the weight loss is off the scale. Good for you!

I'm packing up to go spend a month at our holiday home, where we DO have trees and a garden. I'll sow some carrots and radishes and lettuces and tend the strawberry patch, if the rabbits haven't eaten everything. The grandchildren will be coming up in a few weeks. With luck there will be radishes for them to pick. The strawberries don't ripen until mid-August, but when they do, they're incredibly aromatic because they ripen so slowly at low temperatures and under the midnight sun.

Penny at the Pole
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Carey ~ I had a dream that I
    the 108 tai chi moves and when I move to florida that i was going to teach it there..
    i took a 6 week course and really enjoyed it.. so there might be something huh?
    Joyce~ yes I would really like the ipad, so that if I am visiting my DFIL that we could facetime, with his sister and brother.. I did sell my kindle fire to help pay for it, a darling friend gave me a 100.00 visa gift card for helping her mom and her out and for my birthday..
    and I have had a uterine ablation.. had fibroids, took pills, first that didnt work, had the ablation and that worked for about 5-6 months and then ended up with a hysterectomy.. have had no problems since :)
    JanetM~ so sweet of you to take the time to look for me.. I had a few pair of heron earrings, but with the chaos of the house being upturned because of remodel will have to rummage through to see what I have.. thank you again,I bookmarked some of those pages...
    I am meeting a friend of mine thursday and picking strawberries, then I go get my haircut at 11,and then will go back to Carin's house and we are making strawberry jam together.. I am making 12 jars, so will keep a few here and give the rest as gifts..
    we will see how the rest of the week goes, taking it all a day at a time..
    thank you all for your love and support ~ love you all <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy110.gif Good morning, Bernie, the cat thought I should get up early even though I had a hard time falling asleep last night and read for a long time. I love spending my breakfast time with you before I take the dogs on their long walks. I read all your posts but don't do many personal responses even though I carry all of you in my heart. I often find myself telling someone "I have a friend who_____" and tell about something one of you said or experienced. I have learned so much from all of you.

smiley-happy026.gifSomeone on this thread talked about having health and fitness as her hobby and I think that applies to me. When I have free time, I think of talking a walk or doing a plank or riding my exercise bike or doing squats rather than sitting down with my knitting or reading. I think about food as fuel or nourishment rather than as a source of entertainment. These attitudes have come over time and from the inspiration of having all of you in my life.

1141987fpcor9i0dk.gif Pip, I was in Tacoma (actually Lakewood) for the line dance workshop and experienced the good weather you are having....it is almost that warm over here on the Olympic Peninsula. If I had been traveling alone I would have tried to plan a rendezvous with you....maybe next time.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    How did GRITS find the June 2014 thread?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all for well wishes in making it here safely. Plan to visit my mom today.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Joan. I'll be 50 at the end of the year, but would like to join your group now as I'm afraid I'll "forget" by then, LOL. I'm not "overweight" but on the tippy-top of the acceptabe range for my height. My goals for June are to drop about 4 pounds, meet my step goals, really focus on strength training and run/train to try to run a 10K before the end of the year (I've made it to a 7k so far). I also really need to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet (our family's, actually) and I'm working on that.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options

First, when I finally found it; I bookmarked it (both at the star at the very beginning and also the black star above that). Don't know if I did it correctly or not; but, it finally comes up when I do a 'search' of 50+ June; I need to put the entire correct name for it to come up early in the page it takes me to because it will pull up anything that has the words 50 or June in it. I hope that helps some. If not I will try to retrace my steps and maybe I have left out one. Lenora
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have skimmed the 200+ posts that occurred over the weekend. Of course, I can't remember specifics...

My weekend pretty much flew by. On Saturday, I went to the "end of training picnic" for my son and ended up gaining another boy for a few days. One of the kids is from Memphis, TN so couldn't go home for their three day break. He was planning on sleeping in his truck so, instead, he's been sleeping on my loveseat. It's funny because he has to be at least 6'7" and he prefers the loveseat to an air mattress. He seems to be a good kid (well, he has to have some good in him since he is doing mission work for the summer) and it has been fun having him around. He and the boy child are going to Raleigh today because that is on the friend's bucket list for the time he is in NC. Tomorrow, they will leave to go back to work.

I hope everyone has a great day! I am off to get some work done and to stretch my legs.

Carol in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options

I think it is the same thread . . . I went back to page 1 and that is when I think the person started it - June 2014; so it has continued through many pages, not just back to the beginning of 2015. I think that it goes back to the beginning of 2015 if you just go back to that point. ????? Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Good morning! I have skimmed the 200+ posts that occurred over the weekend. Of course, I can't remember specifics...

My weekend pretty much flew by. On Saturday, I went to the "end of training picnic" for my son and ended up gaining another boy for a few days. One of the kids is from Memphis, TN so couldn't go home for their three day break. He was planning on sleeping in his truck so, instead, he's been sleeping on my loveseat. It's funny because he has to be at least 6'7" and he prefers the loveseat to an air mattress. He seems to be a good kid (well, he has to have some good in him since he is doing mission work for the summer) and it has been fun having him around. He and the boy child are going to Raleigh today because that is on the friend's bucket list for the time he is in NC. Tomorrow, they will leave to go back to work.

I hope everyone has a great day! I am off to get some work done and to stretch my legs.

Carol in NC

My youngest son, when he has been coming home (plops - literally - on our sofa to sleep; and occasionally will go to his bedroom and sleep - usually during the middle of the night). He fits on the entire 3-cushioned sofa; but, doesn't hang off it . . . he is about 5'9.5". I doubt he'll be sleeping on the couch any more when visiting since he got married 5/9/15 . . . his step-daughter (that we all refer to her as being his daughter) will probably have to sleep on it unless we get an air mattress for visitors over 2. We only have a 2-bedroom house since we are both basically retired and no children at home. Our oldest son lives next door to us - about 500 yards away or more (I'm not good on judging distances). Sometimes it seems much further and other times it seems like "we could reach out an touch somebody"
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good Morning:

I have a very busy week with appointments ahead of me so I'm hoping I'll be able to read all the posts. I really enjoy reading about everyone's challenges and victories. I am very grateful to have all of you to chat with, vent to or commisserate with. Thank you all for being so dedicated and offering so much support.

Thought for the day: “Good friends help you to find important things when you have lost them…your smile, your hope, and your courage.” ~ Doe Zantamata

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (in progress...3 weeks almost complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn giggle.gif)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Morning, everyone, from sunny West Texas... Welcome to all the newbies! Do NOT be intimidated by the graph at the bottom, I am a complete numbers goober, and no one expects you do anything like it.

Got to thinking last night that I am always a visual person, so I went back and found the last comparison photo that I took along my weight loss line post-gastric bypass. I was not down to my eventual lightest weight, but I was down to a size 8, and that will suffice. In the picture below, from left, it shows me at 210 (Apr 1), then May 1, Jun 1, and then where I want to be at size 8. I was actually wearing size 10 in the pic-couldn't afford new pants, and was in a flight attendant's uniform six days out of most weeks anyway. It was taken in 2007, so not that long ago. I would lose about another 18 pounds over the next year, all told, and get down to a size 6, but wouldn't stay there long.

Anyway - the picture's embedded in my current weight loss graph - and as the green line shows, I'm actually tracking to lose down to that same weight by the end of the summer IF I get my progress kicked back into gear. This is what I want. This is my goal. To stand up that straight. To be that healthy. But I want to be a whole lot happier than I was in the picture--as happy as I am now in my life.

In that picture, I was one month from leaving my now-ex-husband... and that, I do not want. :neutral:

I put August 15 as the goal, but that's because I believe goals should always be a stretch. My opinion, not necessarily that of the management. :wink:

Hope it's a grand week for all concerned, thanks all for the good words on the NSV (non-scale victories, for the newbies) and the front-page mention. Trying NOT to think about Thursday night's "Meet the Author" read... just another night of reading out loud. I don't get terrible stage fright, and my entire writers' workshop threw a launch party for my book the night before we left for Dallas and are ALL going to try to make it to the reading, as well, so I'll have friendly faces in what will hopefully be a huge crowd. Fingers crossed!

LisaH in West Texas...

esdy1hg1ug68.jpg

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I do still do water exercise in the shallow end. I don't like water and can't swim. I had not been in a swim suit or pool in 20 years until last September. The stats on regaining the weight after bariatric surgery are around 30%. Unfortunately, the surgery does not remove the food addiction. I'm motivated and excited to take the 12 pounds back off.