WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Kim in N. California – I start my vacation on Thursday also. Yay for us! I do not have the happiest of reasons to be travelling. I am going to a Celebration of Life. I’ll be staying with one of my most long standing friends. I have known her since I was 7 yrs old. Her father passed away this year and we are celebrating his life instead of a funeral. It will be a bittersweet time filled with reminiscing.

Kim from N. California – My hobby is blowing glass. I share a 6 hour time slot once a week with a partner so I only blow once a week for approx. 3 hours. Makes for slow improvement, but I love it even if I am not as good as I would like to be. It uses an entirely different part of my brain than work uses so it is a mini vacation of sorts for me. I mainly make vases and bowls, but am starting to learn how to make mugs. My mugs look great until I try to add the handle. LOL! I know it is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Janet Myrtle Beach, SC – Why haven’t you been able to walk on the beach for 10 years? Was it due to excess weight? I know that would have stopped me from being able to walk a year ago. Did you get a chance to walk yesterday? I agree with you – it is so much fun to find new things you can do now that you couldn’t do 50 lbs ago. I’m not tired of those new discoveries yet.

Heather UK – Oh my! Chorizo and Lentil stew with roasted Cauliflower sounds yummy. I hope you enjoyed it.

Pip/Poop - Love the dogs picture. I want to give them al smooches on the nose. That wooden bike is gorgeous. A work of art indeed.

Sarah/London UK – I think your new goal is great. No deadline, but working towards health. I know that is contrary to everything I read about goal setting. They always mention that goals should have a timeline. I find that if I don’t meet my timeframe I get discouraged and give up. Of course, the timeline is supposed to also be realistic so maybe I just didn’t set a realistic goal. Even so… Good for you starting over again. Getting your health back is a goal worth fighting for.

Penny at the Pole – Three cheers for completing your race! You did it!!!! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray!

Janet Oklahoma City OK – Welcome aboard. I just joined this group this month and am already finding the support is beneficial. I to had gastric bypass surgery. Mine was almost 16 months ago. I have hit the point where I has discovered that while I can only eat a little at a sitting, I can manage to eat a whole lot if I graze all day. Thus, my goal of logging my food so that I stay within the guidelines that I must follow to reach my goal weight (whatever that is). I still have not determined what a good goal weight is for me. I have spent so much of my life as an overweight/obese person that I cannot recall what I weighed when I felt good about myself.

Carey – What an awesome way of learning the Tai Chi moves. I took a class once and got very discouraged because so many people already knew the moves and I was having trouble keeping up. Even so, there were parts I did enjoy. I wonder how I would do with it now that I have more stamina.

Michele in NC - I’d be tempted to go with Peach, lilac and either periwinkle or pink for the top 3 scales. Or possibly a Fuschia/ Lime Green/ Teal (electric) Blue. What are you making this turtle for? I seem to have missed that if you posted about it. Do we get to see a picture when it is done?

There was an Art Fair yesterday next to the museum where I blow glass. Here is the bird I got for my garden. It makes me grin. Yes, our house is really that shade of bright blue. DH picked it out when we were building our home. He so rarely expresses an opinion on our home décor that when he said he wanted this color I didn’t have the heart to say no. Understand that this suggestion was coming from a man who will not let me buy him a white stripe on white dress shirt because it is “too flashy.” I did explain that a slightly less exuberate shade of blue is customary for house exteriors. When he said he really liked it, I said OK. It sure gets us talked about in the neighborhood, but no one has been overtly rude about it so I just smile when someone walks up to me in a store and starts a conversation with “You live in THE Blue House, don’t you?”

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/8d/ysgjd18910r0.jpg

Mia in MI

June goal - log food every day
    Word of the month – persevere
    [/color
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Rats! I need help in posting pictures please.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello, everyone,

As I finally got in our neighborhood the cell is ringing with DD wanting to know where I am. Today we took her horse pads, blankets, coveralls, and rugs to the laundry as I wouldn't let her put that stuff in my washer. Ate out with DD and know I can't have much more today. : (

Be back later, really need a nap! Best to everyone.
    yanniejannie

I wouldn't allow horse blankets and saddle pads in my washing machine, either. We often take a boat trip down river to a lovely small town marina with a two machine laundromat. They lock it up tight and require marina patrons to get the key from the front desk because, in the past, local horse owners ruined the marina machines washing horse-blankets, etc. I love horses but shouldn't the stable put in suitably industrial washing machines for that chore?
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mia, It is a great way to learn Tai Chi. The nonprofit org I'm taking lessons from also have a Health Recovery Class which goes slower and even has seated sets for those who cannot stand for any length of time. People still reap the health benefits. I too was a bit discouraged in my first couple of lessons, but the goal really is only to be able to follow...it's not necessary to remember all the moves yourself. As the instructor said there is a lot to learn, start with the feet... if you are pointed in the correct direction and have the correct foot forward you are doing wonderfully. I love it for relaxation, meditation and the flexibility I am gaining...I think I'll be in it for the long haul. <3

Oh...to post a picture click on the icon that looks like a piece of paper with a folded corner and follow the prompts... and I love the blue house!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    sleeping in my bed tonight,
    I swear the man has a screw loose, he started accusing my of lying, he even looked up facetime, and you can use it on windows,andriod and the like, who knew? I thought it was only used on Apple products...
    why do I need the mini when I have a perfectly good tablet , ,
    I understand he is under alot of stress at work and with the reno,but hey so am I..
    OK enough of me wining... will cork it now :p
    gonna try and get back to sleep
    love ya ladies xoxo
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @lhannon062709 - I like what you said about the broken egg. "If you slipped and dropped an egg on the floor and it broke, would you stand there and drop the rest of the dozen? Or would you put them back in the fridge to use for another time?" "It's a broken egg, not a broken life"

@JanetMMcC cc - I think you are the one who asked what "mindfulness meditation" is. I am just learning about it myself. Mindfulness is the awareness that arises when paying attention to the present moment, with non-judgment. Jon Kabat-Zinn seems to be a person who has done a lot of teaching and research on the subject. He has explained that mindfulness as an approach to life based on the understanding that the present is the only time that any of us have to be alive – to know anything – to perceive – to learn – to act – to change – to heal. I started it for purposes of stress reduction and to understand the body-mind connection. So far I have found it helpful in improving my sleep.

@Annr - I like your idea for the TOPS group. People are averse to change, but hopefully you can present it in such a way, that they are excited about at least trying it.

This was the first day of my vacation. The weather is gorgeous and I love to putter around the house, so it's been relaxing.

Till later, lovelies.
    <3 Renny
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Katla......They do have washing machines at the stables but there are clear rules that they are for the stable owners and people who own horses and board them there, not the personal use of staff who work at the facility. She used enough machines that none were overloaded or harmed. I suppose she could have tried to sneak hers in but not worth the risk.
    yanniejannie
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Hmmm. Can everyone else see it even though I don't?

• miakoda40
    Options
    Ah! If I click on the link I can see it. Now to figure out how to get it to show up in a post.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Went on a road trip this weekend and unfortunately didn't get back to the thread. Today was a lot of fun, started water aerobics at 7:30 then yoga at 10:30. Had my hair cut and fixed at 3:00. We leave for Seattle on Thursday to see our #1 granddaughter graduate from College. Looking forward to being in Seattle again.
    DeeDee - so happy to read of your retirement. You will never be bored. <3
    I didn't take notes but did read a lot of the posts. I'll get back in the groove soon.
    SueBDew in TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Pip tee shirt is great! The picture of the lighted bike looks fun.

Good to see my mom today. She looks better than when I saw her in April. Unfortunately one the first thing the staff said to me is she needs clothes. I bought her two pieces when I was there is April, and they are gone. Other pieces I have bought her are gone too. It is very difficult to find clothes that work for my mom. I came to spend time with her not to buy clothes. I did buy her some diabetic socks.

We looked at her pictures when she and my dad went to Wiesbaden, Germany to visit my brother when he was in the service. They then went up through Belgium to visit relatives in Norway and Sweden. She has trouble remembering the trips. It is still fun to go through the pictures and it gives us something positive to talk about. She did not mention the sale of her home. I am not bringing it up unless she wants to talk about it.

I did enjoy an O'Charley pecan crusted chicken salad. I did get a half order.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.02min, 14.6amph, 2.9mi = 85c
    spin- 40min, 75ar, 120aw, 11-20g, 14.8mi = 347c
    ride gym 2 wk- 49.02min, 13.9amph, 11.3mi = 453c
    ride wk 2 tan- 57.05min, 11.7amph, 11mi = 494c
    ride tan 2 hm- 5.41min, 10.2amph, .9mi = 59c
    total cal 1438
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Allison, I am sorry your husband is a jerk. Oh to be...hmmm where are you? I need to have an "Alley Chat" with the man and tell him whats up. I do have an authoritative "Chiefs Wife" voice, and my dear sweet Mother gave me the talent of putting a "demonic twist" when disiplining children. Its a gift really.... I remember when my sons were small we could be at a store and I could snap my finger and point to my side, and ba'am they would be right there. New Moms would be all...umm how did you DO that?? lol What if when he is talking silly being all bossy you just put your hands over your ears and yell "LA-LA-La, I am not l-is-ten-ing to you-u". ((((hugs)))) I am just lightening the mood but hey, you can adopt me if you wanna... I have sister-in-hearts all over the world. :-) Say the world and mentally the documents will be sent friend....
  • Annr
    Options
    Pip, you are artistically wonderful!!! Love the lights! Are you the party house? It looks like it! Plus I would imagine you just think, "Hmmm I want a party.... *click* ok lets dance". Easy-peasy.
  • Annr
    Options
    @miakoda40 www@oregoncoast.com
  • Annr
    Options
    hmmm I thought that would turn blue...dont mind me
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mia in MI

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Yes I understand, I too was eating little amounts but way too often and to often the wrong foods. I do think I am happy with the weight I have lost but now am determined to keep it there. After all of this, I am so determined not to gain it back. Good luck on your goals. I love the ease of food tracking with MFP. Hang in there, we can do this together. :)

Janet
    Oklahoma City
  • glimmersilver
    glimmersilver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm new to MFP. I'm 59, single, no kids. Live in eastern Canada, though I hail from NYC originally. I have dealt with weight and emotional eating issues pretty much my whole life, and recently starting thinking it would be nice to find an online community to share with. I'm not horribly overweight - 5'3", 155 lbs, zaftig - but I've always intensely disliked the way I look. I have, I believe, the world's widest hips, rivaled possibly only by my mom, my aunt, and my cousin - just 'cause it's genetic doesn't mean I don't hate it! I always wanted to look like a swimmer, though I know no amount of dieting or swimming (and I do swim) will make me narrow hipped and flat chested. Sigh. I guess I qualify as having body image issues!

Around six years ago I managed, with serious work, to get down to almost 135 (from 165), but now I'm most of the way back up. Don't want to buy new clothes, which means I feel depressed every time I put on a pair of pants in the morning. I keep telling myself I'm going to just start eating better - tomorrow morning, right? But that doesn't work too well. So I decided I should seek out an online community which might help with confronting some of these issues. I know what I should eat - the problem is finding the motivation to do it. I'm pretty good on exercise, though when I'm feeling depressed (or traveling a lot, which I do for work), that can slip. At the moment I have a broken toe, too - great excuse, right? ;-)

I'm hoping I might find a community here of people facing similar challenges, which might help me find the motivation to improve my own eating habits. I'm not too sure how this website, and the groups and discussions here, work, but I'm hoping I'll figure it out!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of "ten minute Tummy Toner" DVD, held my plank for 2 min 45 sec, then the extremepump class. Tomorrow's plan is to do a spinning downloadable workout.

Have senior bowling later today.wm1oqne8ojax.jpg

Poop - wow! That's something how Kirby's bike split in two. Amazing. Looks like the welds didn't hold. On another note: I have a bike that literally must be 50-60 years old. I'm trying to find some theater group that might be able to use it. I feel badly donating it to the Salvation Army as this isn't exactly a run-of-the-mill type of thing. I honestly don't use it.

Janet - Jessica lives in Reston, VA. I can't get over the prices of homes there. Bet they weren't that way when you lived there. The metro just came to right by her apartment, which really saves her on gas (and emotion)

Mia
    - congrats on breaking that nasty plateau. What kind of glass studio do you have?

Steph - great weight loss

Kim - is there any way you would do classes over the internet?????

Joyce - it always bothers me so much when someone who isn't handicapped takes a handicapped space. Yes, I know that some handicaps aren't visible. But like I know that Lynette uses Ken's handicapped sticker all the time to park closer to the store. She isn't handicapped, but he is. Never heard of a uterine ablation. What's she getting it for? Excessive bleeding?

Heather
    - you weren't playing hookey, you were writing your post. Writing is writing! Congrats on your offer being accepted. That's great

Penny at the Pole
    - where is your summer home?

After the extremepump class, I stopped at the Salvation Army. Found 3 shirts that I really didn't need but bought anyway (one was 1/2 price). Also found these wall hangings that looked interesting. Will see what Vince says about them. Go to senior bowling later today. After bowling we need to stop at CVS, Vince needs to pick up a prescription and they have the vitamins on sale (D) BOGO, plus I have one $2 off coupon and another $1 coupon. I'll also get milk for Vince since I have the $3 off coupon and the manufacturers coupon. They don't have a good price, but I'll wind up gettting it for free

Joan
    - welcome! Great goals, you can get more fruits and veggies. Try only offering fruit for dessert and see how it goes. Like I know Vince would never stand for that kind of dessert, but to me it's totally acceptable (and, really, preferrable)

Carol in NC
    - how nice of you to take that boy in and let him sleep at your place

Oh, I completely forgot to tell you all about my ladybug (the one I painted at ceramics). Well, the other day I was out at the pool and noticed that the paint was really chipping off. So I took it back to the ceramics place. The lady said she'd fire another one for me that I'd have to paint it but she wouldn't charge me for it. She was going to touch up the paint, but she was afraid that it was chipping so badly that that wouldn't help. So right now I have the old one out by the pool right now mainly just for color. And when I get my new one, that one'll get thrown in the garbage.

janer
    - to me, the WORST part of water aerobics is having to walk past the mirror in your bathing suit....lol

tere - even tho you can do the workout at home, I find that for one thing accountability (the trainer is depending on me) is helpful. Also, it's easy to fall into bad habits without even realizing it, and the trainer will point them out before they become a habit. Glad to hear you SO is so willing to do it with you. 3oz of chicken and a cup of spinach! I don't think I'd care for that at all.

kim1546 - you're so welcome here

yea, Kim - now I'm thinking twice about the red/white/blue. Oh, did I put that in the post that was lost? Well, he has 10 "scales" on his shell, I'm going to do one orange the blue, and alternate. The at the bottom of the shell there are about 17scales. I'm going to alternate between orange, yellow, brown, blue and peach. Right now I'm thinking that the top of his shell should be maybe yellow, brown and peach. Tonight I put the third coat of paint on his toenails (bright red), then put the clear coat on the snail. One gal there said I really don't need it since the paints are glazes, but another gal who goes there said I do since it's going to be outdoors. So I put one coat on -- I don't want to take any chances. The base that Vince made had all these cobblestones. He painted them different shades of brown. Many of them chipped. Since it's going to be something indoors, he's using acrylics and then they'll spray it. I know that he's picked out a Christmas tree to put on it since you put a light in the tree, a snowman, but I don't think he's picked out the thrid item to be on the base. My snail was fired Thurs (pic below). One part of me says that the purple is so dark, but then again, it'll be outside.

After ceramics went to play mahjongg.

Sylvia - cute shirt

Lisa - what an analogy breaking diet and breaking an egg

Mary from MN - have a great supper

DeeDee
    - water is just great. I was sad that I couldn't go in today, we had bowling, then had to go to the bank, then CVS, I had to get dinner prepared so we could get to ceramics in time. But Wed. promises to be a really nice day. Now I know what FIL meant when he retired he'd say "where did I ever find the time to work?"

Mia - we have rocks all around the pool, and I just want some color. That's what the turtle/firefly/ladybug are for.

u9wf49u7olfm.jpg
    - have a safe trip

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Options
    Michele, um I have an answer to your pesky mirror problem at water aerobics....hahaha. You know your own birthday suit is better than any suit you buy at the store! Next weekend we are checking a Nudist Resort that is not too far from home. We are taking the free tour, and then wandering around like old nude people that lost their clothes.. With teenager in tow. We talked to him about it, and he was like, "oh cool!"....so that is a positive note :smile: