WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Lenora wrote: Was told to walk as much as possible; so today I went to 4 stores in the mall as well as K-mart looking for work shirts for my husband with 2 pockets on the breast. Walked the entire inside perimeter of the mall in the town near where I live.
    European perspective, here. One of the things I always think about when I visit the States is how much more difficult it is to make good exercise choices there. Sure, there are gyms and sports clubs, but not everyone can afford them in terms of time or money. Sometimes it seems that the only exercise some people get is walking across the (vast) parking lots and through the (sprawling) malls.

We've read several sad stories in this thread recently, about people who were out walking or biking and got hit by cars. Obviously that happens in Europe, too, but not as often, it seems. Lots of European cities grew up at a time when walking was the only way to get around, and it shows! There are paths for bikes and pedestrians. Safe paths! City centers aren't dead at night, because people live there, in addition to working there. If only the US could put some of its world-class drive and imagination into transforming towns and cities into places where citizens can get fit and stay fit. Like what they've been doing in Oklahoma City fastcoexist.com/3035899/this-city-lost-1-million-pounds-now-its-redesigning-itself-to-keep-them-off

Allison, I'm really happy to hear your husband read your note and had the common decency to put his tail between his legs, where it belongs! Reading about your general life situation is an eye-opener for me. I'm naïve enough – or blessed enough – to think that kind of maltreatment of women belonged to a bygone era. My bad!

I'll be spending my entire day at the computer, trying to finish commenting on what my students have done in their final exams. Once that's done, I can almost call it summer vacation!
  • Lagopus
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Penny, just when we got used to you way up there, you are leaving the Pole. Have a safe trip and an enjoyable one.
    Hey, Janet, don't worry! I'll only be away for a couple months. Then it's back to the Arctic tundra! Besides, even now, when I'm w-a-a-a-y south, I'm about as far north as Point Barrow, Alaska.
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    I was/am allergic to most things that are green and grow. But I had figured that out years ago.
    And if you're allergic to everything green and growing, maybe you should come live with me! When it's summer and everything is at its greenest, this is what it looks like:

3f43t431i4jx.jpg

I forget who asked, but I suspect the difference in urgency between a perforated uterus and a perforated colon is what leaks out into the body cavity...

/Penny, still darn near the Pole
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    got a good nights sleep and feel good.. and having my cup of tea.. I dont go into work until 1.
    so going to get my haircut at 10:30..
    my girlfriend at work ,I had lunch with her, we sat in her room and she closed her door, and we had a nice chat..she is an avid gardener and she and her husband are going to Italy for 2 weeks and I will be watering her flowers... she is paying me 150.00 to do that.. told her I dont really want to take money but she wants to pay me so.. that will go in the Ipad till...
    I am excited to go strawberry picking tomorrow and then go to my friends house to make jam..we did this many years ago and it was yummy.. and will have some to give as gifts...
    I have to go with one of the quotes they use in AA. Let go let God.. it is all in his hands and I will take life one day at a time.. we are not promised tomorrow~ and the past is the past
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Lesley prayers for your daughter.

Donna thinking of you.

Penny striking picture.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN, I am so sorry about Applejack. He was a beautiful horse.

We got a sympathy card from the Animal Medical Clinic that handled Sebastian's euthanasia. Every single employee of the clinic wrote a handwritten note in the card, calling him and us by name. It was very touching. DH couldn't read it.

Meg, please don't go. We don't care if you comment. We just want to hear from you. I'll give my analogy about the floors again. If you give your floors a hit and miss mopping on a regular basis, they will stay clean. The spots you missed last week will get mopped this week, or sooner or later anyway. The key is at least giving it a try. If you ignore it completely, it gets dirty quickly. So pop in, comment on one or two or none. Read a few, skim a few, pick up the rest of the news from those who comment on it. So what if you miss some. You'll get the benefit from what you do read. We love you!

Allison, the comment about the floors doesn't apply literally to you. This one time, I would have skipped mopping the floors, even if they were filthy. Sometimes it's the principle of the thing. When DH and I were first married, I was in graduate school and often neglected the house in favor of doing math problems. I mean really. Which is more fun, right? He would pick a fight, I would find myself cleaning to work off my frustration. Then one day I realized: could that be why he picked the fight? I swore off cleaning just because he fussed about it. Now, after 40 years of marriage, he just does it himself.

Heather, thank you for your post on logging. I needed to read that today.

Barbiecat, I rarely look at anyone else's diary, but now you have my curiosity. I'm going to have to check yours out.

Toni, I totally agree. It was time to retire. I actually love the idea of Common Core, but hate all the emphasis on test scores and pressure on the teachers. It seems that all the talk of accountability is given to teachers with none of it placed on students and parents. I wish we could share in the accountability without getting defensive and placing blame. But I digress!

A shoutout to my fellow Methodist, whose name I have already forgotten, but knows the numbers of all the ole-time favorites. It will come back to me.

And there my friends, you have the spots I'm hitting today. If I didn't get to you, maybe tomorrow!

K in NEGA.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    EVERYBODY - We love those of you who respond to individuals, and love reading them... thank you for that labor of love, but I'm going to stop feeling guilty and continue in Pip-like mode, responding as and where I can with a smile, and quit apologizing...

So, from here on out, it's WWP/PD, "What would Pip/Poop do?" smiley-signs014.gif

Welcome to everyone who's new... we're so glad you're here... I find it hard to believe that it's been only a month and a half for me on MFP, and on this group, but I feel like I'm finally in the right place, and I believe you will too.

MaryAnn in VT - I absolutely agree with the taping while you are working through the plantar fasciitis. I had PF to the point where I walked like I was 90 when I was in my 30s... A doc 20 years ago told me to simply write the alphabet with my toes with both feet before I ever set my feet on the floor in the mornings. It hurt to begin with, but stretches every tendon and muscle in your feet, and will eventually help those first stabbing pains recede. The biggest thing for me was losing weight... which you're here to do. I still do that exercise every morning, and have zero pain while walking. Well, from my feet, anyway. PF isn't always weight-related, but losing can help a lot.

@Annr (Becca) - For posting pictures, do a search for my username, and I do a quick explanation of how to post pictures a page or two back (or three pages by now!)

@janetr7476 (Janet from Myrtle Beach SC) - I also had gastric bypass, and am here trying to drop back down to the weight I lost down to - plus one more pound. I lost down to 137 originally, which was exactly one pound from "normal" BMI, which at 5'2" tall is 136 pounds. I'm such a geeky numbers girl... *sigh* Not sure why I think normal is such a good thing! I'll get there eventually. Anyway, after the marriage imploded, remarried, got happy, started putting on 6 to 7 pounds a year, hit 210, now I'm on my way back down again, with the help of MFP and this happy crew... it's a good place to be.

The old friend, half of the couple friends that my ex-husband pretty much "kept" in the divorce stopped by and stayed the night with us - we're so remote that it's hard to just "stop by." It ended up being a lovely visit. Haven't actually seen her in nearly ten years, but she really matured a LOT in those ten years, and we had tons to talk about, including things we never could talk about before. I'm sure I matured quite a bit in that time as well. My husband even liked her--unusual. And reassuring. He's pretty picky. Don't you love when things turn out better than you think they're going to?

My "Meet the Author" for This Little Pig is tomorrow night. Trying to stay focused on the details, taking lots of Sharpies for signing the books, deciding what scenes I'll be reading, making sure to take a couple bottles of water, so I'll have something to sip on while I'm reading, that kind of thing. Hope they have a short podium and a good microphone. I'm not soft-spoken, but having to project for a solid half hour can be exhausting. All kinds of thoughts going through my head--biggest one is, if I sell 20 books, I've covered my entire publication expense for this run. If I sell all 40, I'm well in the black... which is nice when writing IS my employment. And if I run out, I can talk people into pre-paying for copies delivered a few weeks post-event. Fingers crossed it comes to that!

The old friend even bought a signed copy of This Little Pig and pre-paid for the next one! :) I was kind of proud of myself for charging her... but it's time to get realistic about this stuff, you know!
    smiley-signs026.gif

Love, LisaH from West Texas

45970499.png
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi to Fiona, Mary Ann, kidsfirst30, Glimmersilver, Donna, Jadepearl, Caz and anyone else who is new and I have missed.

Barbie - I am one of the silly women who thinks oooh I have got .... calories left, what can I use them on. And then I wonder why I am not loosing as much as I want to. Have got to try again and think a little bit more about just what I eat (I am not giving up completely on pizza though, coz I just love it!!!).

TNToni - So happy that you are feeling better.

Lisa - I also enjoyed the broken egg analogy, thanks

DeeDee - Allergies are nasty, so sorry you are suffering. Hope you felt better after the medication.

Mary - isn't swimming wonderful? I used to go three times a day when younger but now only able to go three times a week (when well enough to go!)

Kim - feel free to take as much energy from me as you like this weekend. Luckily I have not got too much to do, and if I suddenly feel tired when swimming, I will know why!!

Michele - Love the snail and the pool, you are so lucky!!

It is bright and sunny here but the wind is so cold! I managed to swim a mile on sunday and half miles on monday and tuesday but now unable to go again until this sunday :neutral: .

Gilly, Suffolk UK

84029784.png
  • Lagopus
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lisa wrote: *sigh* Not sure why I think normal is such a good thing!
    That reminds me of how my boss reacted on his 50th birthday. He was feeling blue about it and I tried consoling him with some trite phrase along the lines of "Well it happens to all of us." He immediately retorted: "I've never taken any pleasure in being just like everyone else."

/Penny
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Lisa good luck to you in "Meet the Author".

K in NEGA love your analogy about mopping floors. Applies to so many things. I sometimes have a hard time cutting myself slack. Then I try to remember all I have already accomplished. As many of you have reminded me it is important to be kind to yourself. We are more than a number on a scale.

Because of our increasing number that I love I am using the strategy that you suggested K.

Meg good to see you here!

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele I agree with you about Alfred Dunner. My mom had a number of his clothes before she went into the nursing home. In the last couple of year she has lost a lot of weight not in a good way. Hence the need for new clothes. I just have to find that balance between nice enough, but not nice enough to get legs. I bought her a darling sweater in April, and it is gone.

My sisters and I divided up Mother's 'stuff' (with her blessings) before she went to live at an ALF; she made it clear that she did not want others to ramble through her stuff (yard or estate sale) and wanted us to donate it to a local charity instead. My oldest sister was in charge of everything and we made our choices in a rotating fashion. So each of us got what we wanted. After we had gotten what we wanted we did the same rotation for whatever the grandchildren wanted. After Mother got settled in at the ALF and finally realized she did not have a 'home' to go home to she 'sort of' accepted that fact. One day she called me (after calling my oldest sister first) and asked me 'who got her jewelry'? I told her I was not sure; and then I called my oldest sister and told her what Mother had asked about. She told me NOT to take any of those things to her because they would probably get 'legs' . . . so I ignored the question. She apparently forgot about it, too. But, the ALF where she lived let each of their patients bring their own furniture so they would feel like they had a piece of their life with them. She did have of her own things including her living room sofa - later they put her into a hospital bed so they could raise the rails so she could not get out and/or fall. They had intercoms in every room so that whoever worked the night shift could hear what was going on and go check on her if she needed help. When we called in 'Hospice Care' and they were good about making sure she took her meds, ate meals, and took a shower/bath and had time to go up to the living room when she felt like it to visit with others - some were friends of hers. She was asked by the Hospice Care what she 'thought' Hospice Care did . . . her answer was 'they are called in when someone has only 6 months to live'. She lived exactly 5.5 months later. The ALF let us keep her there during her last months on earth; but, told us that if the "State" came for an inspection they would probably require that she be moved to a nursing home.

Oldest sister was the one who took care of her affairs and went to visit her every weekend and usually one day during the week because she lived within driving range and the other 2 of us did not. Some days she'd be lucid and other days did not even know we were there.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Thank you for all the condolences for Apple Jack! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. My street strider elliptical bike arrived yesterday. It took a long time for my DH to put it together last night. It is not as easy to ride as it shows in the commercial. Hopefully I will not fall over.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Toni, I agree with you about the craziness in our school systems. You know, SC isn’t exactly up there in the top ten, and I have several friends who are either educators or administrators in the school system, and they are very discouraged. A few have even given up on retiring and sought second careers. So very sad. My kids are grown but I hope if I have any grands that my children will at least consider home schooling. Heck, I might even volunteer to do it. I know grandparents that do.
    Cheri, I suffer from plantar fasciitis too. I’m going to try the tape trick. Mine comes from bad ankles, and I do the ankle strengthening exercises I was taught, but not consistently.
    Janet, I sure do hate that you’re having such issues with allergies. My only one is mold, so in this damp, humid environment we live in, more than a day of rain will usually trigger a spore growth somewhere and then it’s on. Also , when they change out the air conditioning filters at work, I’m sick for a couple of days. I’m fortunate that a little Claritin and AlkaSeltzer sinus helps me through it. And, wow, what a monumental weight loss journey you’ve been on. That shows some dedication. :flowerforyou:
    Michele, your back yard looks very inviting. Good luck with Vince, hope it’s nothing serious.
    Lesley, much love and prayers for your daughter. As a wife of a cancer patient, I know it’s not easy watching a family member struggle with this awful disease. I wish her a speedy recovery and smooth sailing with her chemo.
    Joyce, I worked oncology for several years early in my career, switched to rural health for awhile, but working at a nursing home with our elderly is where I always felt led to be. Even when I was doing other things, I would work “prn” or weekends a nursing home. I love me some old folks, lol! I worked as a unit manager for several years, but took a “fill in” job doing Medicare reimbursement around ten years ago and I’ve been doing it ever since. It’s much more sedentary than floor or supervising, and I don’t mind it as I still get to interact with my folks because I have to do assessments on them on a routine basis. I just wish I wasn’t so tied to a desk!! Oh, and I’m not left handed. Matter of fact, I am soooo not left handed in any way, I hope I never break my right one! Kudos to you for loving colostomies. When I did floor, I loved surgical and wound care. We all have “thing”, don’t we? However, my pet peeve is respiratory. Holy moly I hated to float to the neuro floor with all those trachs! I would literally wear a mask just so the patients could see me wince. It has always been my weak spot. :noway:

Well, kiddoes,45 minutes on the elliptical last night. Woke up a little sore, but feeling accomplished! I don’t weigh until tomorrow, but I’m feeling a looser in my clothing so I’m going to consider it a victory anyway. And, of course, my bra is now too big. I always lose in my boobs first, but I’m not complaining. I’ve plenty to spare. Going to try and find a few arm exercises I can do with dumbbells, anyone who’s got a good program, post the link! I work in an office of three and one of my coworkers is a constant fidgeter, talks to herself, hums along to the overhead music, eats, sucks her teeth, yawns, etc. Not made for a desk job where there are other people in close proximity trying to concentrate. She drives me bananas some days. It’s all I can do to keep my sanity. I ask nicely for her to please refrain from some of this, to work more quietly, but she just sniffs and turns back around in her chair. I think I might buy and air horn and see if that’ll get her attention. Oh well, such is life, warts and all. Have a blessed day!!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.... or goodnight depending on where you are. <3

Busy day today, massage at 8, off to the city to see the foot dr. shop for some new shoes...massage therapy lady says to buy running shoes to walk in because they have more support for my feet.. so will look at Asics (I think that is how that is spelt).... best check in at the scrapbooking store as they advertised on their Facebook site they have some new stuff in :) ... then off to my mom's to take her caregiver shopping for groceries, mow her grass. Then home to mow my own grass. I am off from my paying job on Thursday and Friday too....so I could go back to tomorrow but I have so much yard work and book work at home I don't want to leave home.

On the topic of open and closed diaries. My diary is open. Kind of boring probably. Because I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday. Oatmeal, crushed hemp hearts, cinnamon, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup mixed berries. For lunch I have raw vegetables, and or salad and 2 oz of a protein (leftovers from supper or tuna or salmon) For dinner (supper) Always a vegetable and a protein. Because I am very strict on the sugar thing - there are very very rarely any deserts, or cookies. Also very strict on NO bread. I am very sensitive to yeast and it is in a lot of things. So when someone talked about the hassle they get from people about not eating certain foods I explain to them that tomorrow I will have a brain freeze headache if I eat anything with yeast in it. Enough rambling on .....

I have managed to walk 100 miles each month for the last 11 months, been very diligent with my food ...obviously by the last paragraph ..... I am post menopausal..... AND the scale is finally moving again.... 2 1/2 years ago I cut out all added sugar or high sugar foods, anything white, and picked up the exercise... I am soooo excited. My body fat is even looking better when I look at myself in the mirror...ha ha ha .... that sounds funny.

Okay enough rambling on, time for breakfast.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's going to be another hot one.

I've been trying to help my son get his apartment cleaned up, because he got a letter telling him there would be a HUD inspection and the place was a mess. You can imagine what three completely uncontrolled kids can do to an apartment. Well, in about 4 hours Sunday and Monday I got it pretty well organized, except for the kitchen. By then, the kids thought I was an evil witch, telling them to pick this up, put that away, etc. Yesterday he called at 10am in a panic because the inspectors were in the building. So I flew over on my broomstick and took out three big bags of trash, vacuumed the living room and was working in the kitchen when the inspectors knocked on the door. They came in the apartment, stayed all of about 20 seconds, and left. They never even came into the kitchen. From the questions they were asking, I think they were more interested in the physical condition of the apartment than its cleanliness. But that's ok. It needed to be done. I'm hoping to go over on a more regular basis, maybe a couple of hours once a week or so, just to help clean. He sure can't do it. He has a really, REALLY long tube for his oxygen machine that lets him walk anywhere in the apartment, but he still can't do anything physical or he stands there sucking air like a fish out of water. I think the kids could be helping more too.

After the inspectors left, I took him to get groceries. That's hard for him too. His car has a standard transmission and the A/C is broken. He has an oxygen bottle setup that he can carry with him, but it's not a perfect system. At the checkout the bottle went empty. He had brought a spare but when he put it on it didn't want to work, so it got a little scary for a few minutes till he got it working. Once we got back to the apartment, I left and went back to the studio to do some drafting, then took the kids to the pool for two hours. They had fun. The little guy is finally tall enough this year to go down the huge slide, so he was a happy camper. I have to say, I felt pretty good at the pool. Its amazing how much easier it is to function, and run after kids, at a lower weight.

Beth, I noticed I wasn't the largest woman in the pool, too. There were many, many heavier than me. Two years ago I would have been the biggest, but yesterday I felt downright normal. Normal is a very nice feeling.

For dinner last night I made orange chicken and brown rice. I found a Kikkoman orange chicken sauce and followed the recipe on the back of the bottle. I did use reduced salt soy sauce, but it was still higher in salt than I like, but it was delicious.
    Hubby thought the rice was too sticky. I'm not good at cooking rice, other than minute rice, but I bought a bag of Jasmine Brown Rice to try. I thought it was ok, but I'm not a rice expert. Maybe I need to buy a rice cooker.

Meg, if you stop coming to visit us, I will cry big buckets of tears! I don't care if you comment on things, or just stop by to say hello. I always smile when I see your profile picture come up and think, "Meg's here!" You were hotter there than we were yesterday. We just hit 96.

Well, it's time for me to get dressed. I hope you will all have a great day.

Sylvia
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well, I thought of one more thing I wanted to comment on. I totally agree that we are too young for Alfred Dunner! A similar brand is Bon Worth. Several of the ladies in my bridge club love these two brands. They have lots of pants with elastic waists with matching shirts. Too cutesy for me, but both brands have a petite line. I have told my DH that I am never going to be old enough for SAS shoes or Bon Worth clothes. I have bought Alfred Dunner in the past, but always regretted it. I bought my mother a Bon Worth outfit for Mother's Day. I prefer classics that can be mixed and matched as opposed to matching tops and bottoms that have no versatility.

My favorites of the moment are Chicos and Christopher And Banks.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yesterday I thought I would rest from exercise routines. However, the SO was waiting to workout with me when I arrived from work. I had been under the impression there was going to be some horizontal exercise upstairs – boy was I wrong! By the time we got through the routine we had trouble going upstairs to bed. I had more than enough calories to indulge in my favorite chocolate ice cream, but was too tired to walk downstairs and get it. Boy, the routine has taken the place of nooky and ice cream – just shaking my head.

Jeanniebeani: Potato chips in bed was one of my addictions. :# I couldn’t go to sleep without a bowl of chips. That was a hard habit to break for me. I finally decided there were more interesting things to do in bed than eat chips. The SO was happy! Congratulations for resisting.

Poopy Pip: You are such an enjoyable trip! You always seem to have the absolutely perfect response. :D

Heather: So now you are telling the “real story”. :o No nooky will make anybody irritable! That's how I am feeling today. ;)

TN Toni: I can’t find it on my Kindle or phone either. I hope somebody has the solution. Since I haven’t been able to replace my laptop yet I miss out on the weekends. Congratulations on the 6.4!

MNMargaret: I really like your VERB post. It is right on target.

Cynthia: Happy birthday to your fur baby! I think he’s doing well to have been still enough for a picture. Storm would have to be tied down.

Fanncy
    : Sending hugs! I've only had to put down a dog but it was traumatic for me! <3

Drkatiebug: I really get enjoyment from mentally saying your screen name. Allison has really made me look back on times in my relationships when the other person seemed to be demanding without really giving me any thought. Today, I see that I allowed or gave them control over my feelings for whatever reason. I chose not to give the SO that control and to put myself first (well you know within reason). So now if I (as the kids say) start “feeling a certain kind of way” about something then I don’t let it be swept aside but put it on the table for discussion or make a decision just for myself. We very seldom have upsets at my house I think because we respect each other as individuals and treasure this opportunity to be together. Besides he thinks I am just a little crazy. I believe people tend to treat you the way you let them treat you. I like how you “thought” your way through the cleaning demand.

Meg: I need you on these pages. <3 Just do the best you can!

Sylvia: I am not a good rice cooker either. My ex-husband is half Japanese so I had a rice cooker and the rice was always a little sticky. The SO prefers Uncle Bens rice that falls apart in individual little pieces. My solution is to use the boil in a bag rice that seems to come out perfect every time. I don’t care too much for rice at all.

Tere in RVA
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    ....my husband can't believe that you all have a wooden bike! I said yep, he said, naaa....and we went back and forth for a bit, until I yelled uhuh...PIP SAID SO!

LOL!!! I could hear this argument as I read it. All in the tone of voice of my 7 yr old nephew uses sometimes. Thanks for the belly laugh.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

SCC1958 - Hugs for the Police Officers in your area.

Meg – don’t give up. Just check in as able. I won’t take it personally; I just want what is best for you.

MaryAnn – when I had plantar fasciitis I bought “proper” inserts for my shoes and rolled my foot on a frozen bottle of water and/or a golf ball. I also stretched before ever setting foot on the floor in the morning. And allow me to add to what Lisa said about writing the alphabet in the air - write it big, to really work on the stretching. Tiny letters only does a tiny bit of good. This exercise is good for everyone, not just plantar fasciitis. Best of luck!

Lesley – hugs and prayers for your daughter and family.

Kim – Yes, the computer guy put Norton on there, and I will pay to keep it.

Joyce – DS and DH went to Sonic last night after weight lifting. DS gave me the bottom ½ of his shake, I took one spoonful, savored the flavor, and gave it back. My Dad saw Jurassic World last night, and stated that the 3D was amazing. Enjoy!

Gilly – I agree about the pizza. I just love the flavor combinations, and the simplicity of the purchase. I have found that on occasion I can have 2 slices of a thin crust pizza without derailing all my hard work. I am down to 1x a week, and will try to go further down, to once every 2 weeks. I really need baby steps to make the necessary changes, but I admire everyone who can do it resolutely and quickly. Congrats on all the swimming. Keep up the great work.

Jules – Nice NSV. Hooray !

Sylvia – any time I have eaten or cooked brown rice, it had a completely different texture than Minute rice. I have learned to really like it. A friend had a rice cooker that kept her rice delicious for several days, and she loved it.

The only way to get my DH to purchase the correct item without me is to either send the packaging, or contact the store in advance (like click-n-pull at Sam’s Club). Even with the packaging he sometimes gets it wrong. But with the packaging, he will purchase ANYTHING I ask without embarrassment. >:)

I got to work early again today, but the radio station announced tickets for the Rolling Stones, so I just walked around my office instead of hopping on the bike next door. My elbow pain isn't too bad, so I think I can handle the hand bike at lunch, and will get on the exercise bike after work.

DS's new weight lifting program looks pretty tough, but I'm confident that he can handle it. He is starting his squat lift at 140 pounds and his bench press at 100 pounds. He did not complain about being sore this morning. I walked slowly backwards on the treadmill most of the time, so I could get some exercise, use some different muscles, and watch and listen to his Trainer. I need to remember to buy more hamburgers, eggs, and musclemilk.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where it is now 80 degrees and humid)
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good morning:

I had some wonderful results at the cardiac rehab final visit yesterday. They were estatic at how good my blood test results were. All of my levels were where they wanted them and were better than good. My HDL had increased to 1.49 and it only needs to be greater than 1.1, it had only been .88 at the previous visit. I was able to walk 440 metres more than I could in the last visit..showing that my fitness level has increased substantially.

I did get to talk to the Dietician (my weight is bascially the same as it was in Nov). She looked at my test results, my food and exercise diary and didn't have any suggestions for how I can start to lose weight. Basically I am doing all the right things! She kept asking me if I would be happy to know that I am healthy and do I really need the scale to show it. Short answer YES... I need some weight to come off. My knees cannot handle the weight I'm currently at. I can't accept that a BMI of 34.1 is healthy!

She mentioned that when at a plateau sometimes it helps to decrease calories or to increase them. I'm at 1200 calories now and she doesn't really recommend that I go under that although she suggested that I could either go up or down 200 calories for a couple of days to see if that would shake things up.

She is going to think about it and talk to some specialists at the obesity clinic. She'll call me back on Friday.

Having lunch with a friend today..so I'll pick myself up and concentrate on the wonderful blood test results.

Thought for the day: Life is too short to spend in negativity. So I have made a conscious effort to not be where I don't want to be. - Hugh Dillon

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (in progress...3 weeks almost complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn
    W2: Lunch with a friend, going away party for co-worker... 2 more...yay!)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I have a few MFP “Friends” who are mostly people I’ve met on Women 50+. I don’t correspond with every person every day, but I enjoy the opportunity to keep in touch with women who are not currently able to keep up with this group. :flowerforyou:

Grits: I do my logging on my phone app, but it is also easily accomplished on the website. Go to My Home and Check-In. There is a place to record your current weight & measurements. I have never used the “measurements” feature. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Your little buddy has a fabulous face. I’m in love. :heart:

Mary: Our animals enrich our lives so much. I’m sorry that Apple Jack needed to be put down and that your daughter had to shoulder that responsibility. How old was he? :flowerforyou:

Bkrimpet: You can get back into the “swing” of things. Don’t worry about responding to every post. :noway:

Meg: I hope you won’t give up here. You will be missed. You don’t have to respond to everyone! Please continue to check in and let us know how you’re doing.:heart:

Fiona from Scotland: Welcome! Snow?? I wish it were possible for you to send some to our mountains. We’re facing a scary drought out here in Oregon. :flowerforyou:

Beth: Congratulations on the photo NSV! What excellent proof that you are making progress. :flowerforyou:

Janetr7476: Congratulations on your excellent success at improving your health! :flowerforyou:

Lesley: I’m sorry that Karen is facing more surgery. I hope this resolves the problem. :flowerforyou:

Penny: I love the photo. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Good luck with your “Meet the Author” event. :flowerforyou:

Dr Katie: I have some Sass shoes. They’re comfortable but not at all stylish. The sandals look great in my opinion. I’m a “buy American” fanatic. There aren’t many shoes available that are made here any more. I could easily go off on a political rant about our government selling our jobs to China, but I’ll try to control myself. :grumble:

Yoga today! Yay!!! We also have an appointment at the hearing aid store for DH and one at the bank to set up improved accounts. We’ve been getting over charged there. An employee who is our new guardian angel looked over our accounts and called to let us know that improvements can be made.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png