WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    I don’t want to brag or make anybody jealous, but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school. showoff.gif

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC

HA HA HA Janet...... I do tooooo!!!!

Lillian[/quote]

And some of the 'clunky' ones are coming back in style. I get all sorts of compliments on them and asked 'where did you get them'. "I've had them approximately 45 years" (since being in school." Some are for pierced ears and some clip-ons; but, I have also made some of the clip-ons into pierced ones so I can keep them on. I have small earlobes.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Penny stunning!

Deedee Noel adorable!

Good to be home. Much cooler. Ahhh!!

Going to clean up the garden today. I also brought back some cutting from my mom's forty year old rose bush. It is a red rose that smells like a rose. I am going to the garden center to get advice and call my friend who is a master gardener. Any of you start a rose plant from a cutting. What was your secret?

:heart: MNMargaret

I've heard that they need to be 'grafted' to another rose bush; but, I don't know why. Get them to someone who knows about getting a piece (one that has been cut off from another).
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Heather, I struggle with monkfish. The meat has such a great texture but I can never get the flavors of whatever I put on it to penetrate. It would be great if you could share the recipie.

The one downside of our holiday home it that the nearest fishmonger is two hours away. If we could figure out how to catch our own seafood we'd be well off, because the fjord is full of cod and haddock, we have a scallop bank not far away, mussels cling to anything solid, the neighboring fjord has world-class halibut fishing. And monkfish... out on one of our walks my husband and I spotted an otter that had just landed a monkfish and was tucking in! But our boat is still 1000 km away so all our fishing here is from shore.

You mentioned birdwatchers a zillion pages back. Are you a bird fiend? Perhaps more important, is your husband one, because if he is he can look forward to some potentially great sightings during the cruise. (We recently spotted king eiders and a couple of grey phalaropes in summer plumage in Longyearbyen.) That might even compensate for having to wear a tie.

/Penny at the Pole

What is a 'monkfish'? They don't sound very appetizing.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited June 2015
    @lagapus - beautiful picture you posted.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    JanetMMcC – Yes, please, if you’re willing to send an invitation to your home forum, you can reach me at lisa@lisachannon.com. And rock on with your bad self! And I haven’t heard exclamation points called “bangs” since I was managing editor of a newspaper back in the twilight of the last century… My old boss threatened me with mayhem if I used them. Ever.

KateKyi
    – thank you for the New Zealand flag, I THINK I’ve got everyone pretty much covered below with my flag wavers… any countries I’ve missed, guys? We’re a pretty diverse group, and my apologies I forgot our Canadian sistren… I tend to think of y’all as us. Which, on reflection, you may not actually consider a compliment.

Heather in the UK – loving the pictures of the grandbabies…
    Carol/Peach – sorry the family is so frustrating right now.

Mom216 – Yeah… there were some good things about my ex, but the day I woke up, looked at him and thought “I’d rather die alone than live with you,” was a big sign… My sister, who lived in mountainous Arkansas, said her signal was rooting for her now-ex-husband to drive off a mountain on the way home… everybody has their wake-up call, and then it is time to go!

Carey – love the saying “Dreams are renewable…”

Lillian – congrats on a year of logging on MFP!

DamitJanit – I kind of like DamitJanit, but we can call you whatever you would like… and congrats on busting the 400-post mark.

Nancy – I’m sorry about your friend… but unfortunately, you’re right, it’s exactly like alcoholism. Unlike alcoholics, however, we MUST indulge in our addiction at least twice or three times a day. Alcoholics can quit cold, smokers can quit, drug addicts can stop cold turkey. If we quit our addiction, we die. Your friend’s overeating for some reason that has nothing to do with hunger… but until he knows what it is, he won’t stop, and indeed, probably no longer can without some major epiphany of some kind. Mine was when I was thinking about the fact that you never see really, really heavy people over 70 or so. And I clicked to the fact that really, really heavy people don't GET old. This is the perfect place to vent – we’ve been in his shoes, most of us, and many of us in yours too. I’m so sorry.

Pip – holy crapolini, nearly 3 years on MFP? You are studly. Speaking of which, Kirby is indeed a handsome devil (thank you, Alison for that reference… :)) I love men who age well, and he is definitely one. If I remember, I’ll post a pic of my cowboy DH someday… He’s aging well, unlike the ex… And I love the way you remember who you were in the gym. I managed a gym for a bit, after I got most of my weight off, and it was enormously rewarding to be able to help people who needed it… I got to work a lot with before and after bariatric surgery patients, since I was one, and I loved it. Helping people who have been scared to try, and keeping them from giving up—it’s an honorable thing.

Daysie the dog was none too happy to be put back outside after the storm last night—we do bring her in for thunderstorms because she gets so stressed otherwise. She lives outside, so It’s one of the few times she gets to stay inside all evening, and she was basically UNDER the reclining loveseat most of the night as the thunder and lightning show was pretty noisy. The look she gave me when I told her it was time to go outside last night promised a half a lizard will be dropped on my foot halfway through my run this morning…

Love all the photos…. The clematis are beautiful, Greece, Norway, and the Kirby, I feel so lucky to be part of this group!

Got bread rising on the stove – my mother’s recipe for yeast rolls, modified with added wheat bran and much less sugar. I make it about once a month, freeze 3/4 of the dough to make into sandwich rolls each Sunday, so Corey (DH) has fresh bread each week. Much easier than trying to keep bread fresh in this climate, or even keeping it—if you forget to buy it, driving 45 minutes back to the store to get it just isn’t in the cards! I won’t eat them—they’re about 175 calories each, and more carbs than I usually want at a sitting.

But I’m using part of this week’s dough to try to make those 100-calorie flatbread sandwich things that you see now in the store. I use tortillas now, as I’m used to them, and it’s the southwest… but the same thing applies as for bread. You run out, you’re screwed. I’ve tried for years to learn to make them without success--mine just don’t turn out, even from pre-made masa harina. We’ll see if rolling out flatbread works from a yeast-raised dough! Have a feeling I’m going to end up with tiny hockey pucks.

The DH just showed me that RevereWare has a set of their copper-bottomed stainless steel cookware on sale, heavyweight, for $69 on Wayfair, if you've been looking. So tired of "wearever" non-stick that lasts less than a year... he's the cook, mostly, but is hard on non-stick surfaces, bless him.

Hope it's a peaceful Sunday for those on this side, and that your week begins well for those on the other side of the ponds...

Warmest regards,
    Lisa H in West Texas

Australia, Canada, Greece, Norway (for Penny's temp digs!), UK, US... anyone I missed?
    zx36n1v69x0a.jpg
  • Pamici9
    Pamici9 Posts: 19 Member
    Hello - I've been reading through the posts and would like to join in! I'm struggling to be proud of and satisfied with my nearly 40-day log in streak and a 4lb loss. I'm impatient, though. Looking back over the graphs in MFP and fit bit, I see some successes and some room for improvement. My goals this month are to get my steps up to 10K and be consistent about it, stay within my eating plan, and work on body weight exercises. And be proud of what I've done so far!
    Pamici in Dallas
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    I stepped enough at the mirror that I thought I could start w running. Sharp pain in my L knee ended that right off. So I walked. So my R hip started hurting. Usually that doesn't happen until much later in a walk. So over early. <sigh>

But weight still at 159.5.
  • lhannon062709
    Quick duck back in to make sure the second try at that post actually posted (it did... :wink:)

@JanetMMcC , as always, take anyone else's experience with exercise with a grain of salt, but walking actually hurts me MORE than running... And my "running" stride would be laughed out of the state by any "runner" that ever lived. My foot skims only high enough to keep me from tripping over the rocks. Full impact running would destroy what's left of my knees, and my right one's very near bone on bone with no ACL to speak of. If it hurts, change it until it doesn't. Just keep moving--and if moving means stepping in front of a mirror for now, then do that... you'll get there.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    What's a fitbit?

We had to bring our JRT inside if there was a lightening/thunderstorm . . . she would shake so bad when we did have one and would scratch at the door until we opened it. She was also our 'indicator' if we were going to have a storm. I guess they hear it from well off in the future or just 'smell' it coming. When my DS would come home, he'd bring his dogs (a lab - who is lazy; and Lilly, his Mountain Feist/Cur . . . she is 'so smart' that when we do get another dog; I'd like one like her. But, I hear they are expensive and difficult to find. His was a gift from one of his bosses. He used to have 2; but, one disappeared one night. Either an alligator got him or an upset
    'ex-girlfriend' took him. He swore once that he had seen him riding down the road in the back of a pick-up; but, could not turn around to go after them.
  • fitchriis
    fitchriis Posts: 14 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Don't forget to click on the star at the top to bookmark this page....I just came back to do that so I can find all of you again in the morning.smiley-laughing025.gif

Thanks - good idea
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hope everyone's day is off to a good start. I wanted to share a NSV milestone I had last evening. Two years ago we moved into a house that has a gigantic mirror wall just inside the front door. I immediately wanted it taken down. I wasn't going to suffer seeing my image in that mirror every time I stepped in the foyer of my home. The hubs wasn't buying the reason nor expense of having it removed. So I have become quite adept at averting my eyes whenever I needed to go out the front door or do anything in the room it reflects back into. Until last evening...we were going out for date nite to the local theater to see Oklahoma and as I got dressed I decided to try on some dress jeans and a top I had thus far not felt comfortable in size wise. Lo and behold the pants zipped with ease and the top as well! Feeling this new found comfort I decided to take a look at how I really could be seen in this outfit. The only mirror in the house to give me a full view was that danged mirror in the foyer! We became friends last nite! I even ventured to take a full length picture of myself....something I never do! And to put it fully out there and own it I am posting it here!!

mrailvttewie.jpg
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    JanetM, thanks for the links! I didn't know things like that existed. I think I'll order one just to see how it works. I too would be skeptical that it would cause any kind of actual loss, but if it stopped my arms from waving around like a sheet on a clothesline in a windstorm it would be an improvement. The trouble I could see would be the heat in the summer. Last week we had 97 degrees and 97% humidity, so anything would be uncomfortable. I hate summer.

I saw a man the other day wearing some long flesh colored sleeves under his short sleeved shirt. I considered asking him about them but was afraid they were something medical that covered a burn or something. Of course, they could have been covering up tattoos.

We had my son and the kids over for dinner last night. I was glad to see him get out of his apartment for a while. We had to go pick them up in the van because he didn't feel like driving. He brought along an extra oxygen bottle, which it turns out that he needed. My granddaughter wore her beautiful new purple maxi-dress. My son says DGD doesn't want to take it off. o:)

So far this morning I've managed to clean up the dishes from last night, but that's about all. There is a mountain of laundry waiting for me, so I'd better get started. I hope you are all having a fantastic weekend.

Sylvia
  • fitchriis
    edited June 2015
    Hi, I'm new to this site, my daughter suggested I join as both she and other daughter use it. Goals for June are:
    1. to get back into habit of going to gym at least 4 times a week (I had a knee sprain so haven't been for over 2 weeks)
    2. lose 4 pounds
    3. at gym go to at least 2 classes a week as I mostly just do my own exercise
    4. go to at least one yoga session a week as I do a morning yoga routine but havent had any teacher input for years
    5 do at least an hour a week yardwork
    6 go to at least one walking/fitness meet-up (moved last year and joined meet-up groups but am not making time to go to them.

I'm near Richmond Virginia USA, originally from Sheffield UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Debbie, I had to laugh about your "military diet". When I was 18 I went into the Air Force and gained about 20 pounds in basic training. The food in the chow hall was rich, high calorie, high carb stuff, and I was anorexic so the drill instructor watched me like a hawk to make sure I ate, then to make sure I didn't go off and throw up.

Sylvia
  • fitchriis
    Gosh, so many new people! Stick with us Lenora, Genevieve, Penny and Steph. :flowerforyou: You will be in good company! This month I am chocking up my 3rd year on an eating plan. I joined MFP in the August. Have been on this thread ever since.
    I was almost crippled with joint pain and very depressed about the way I looked and felt. I lost 57 lbs over 18 months and have kept it off with the help of this thread.
    Slow but sure seems to be the key. Never lose patience. Make it a change in lifestyle, not a diet. Eat good food. Don't starve yourself. Increase your exercise level. Calories in, calories out is the whole truth - the rest is just flummery and decoration. Weigh and measure food and your body.
    Good luck. Never give up. Never surrender. Take the long view. Remember - log every bite and every bit of exercise and if there is a deficit you will lose weight. Simple. :noway: :laugh:

Must wash off my hair dye! Heather UK

Wow Heather, that's an impressive amount of weight to lose, you're a great role model.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    edited June 2015
    cblue315 wrote: »
    Oh my this thread moves very quickly. Came back this morning to find a whole new page.

Pip - Both of you could sign up twice and do the whole race instead of a relay.

Lori from Wisconsin

morning peepers -
    well this morning will be yogi's first organized run!! go yogi!!!!at938aclvyli.jpg

we did do the full marathon last year... that's what i DON'T want to do again. another reason is cuz it will make kirby run by himself and he can go at his own pace not mine.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    csofled ~ Your NSV is awesome. You look great. I thought I was the only one who avoided mirrors or looking at pictures of myself.

Sylvia ~ You are such a great grandmother and mother.
  • lhannon062709
    edited June 2015
    @GRITSandSLUTS here's a link to the Fitbit Flex on Amazon, it's an activity and sleep tracker... It's worn on your wrist kind of 24-7, you can spend as much as you want, depending on how in-depth you want to take your stats. Flex is pretty much low end, which is where I'm staying for now.

And here's an image of my Fitbit dashboard, just a quick glance at my stats from what it told me for Friday... I haven't done squat today yet... :blush: but my husband and his boss just left to go pick up a vehicle from down south on the ranch, so I have an excuse, I swear! Heading out for my run now...

k5y8kzgh4b7t.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2015
    Janet in NO: I’ve read a few of the JDRobb books, but they’re not my cup of tea. Some of the hardback NR books are also too gritty for me, while others are golden. I liked Whiskey Beach and The Witness. I don’t generally like the books that revolve around fire. :noway: I guess I’m quirky. :laugh:

Joyce: Our air conditioner is old enough to vote but not to go to the taverns. It is not as old as DSIL’s, which could have voted for Ronald Reagan. They can last a long time. We had ours serviced a year ago because it was noisy and had been for years. They fixed it! I hope they’re able to fix yours, too. :flowerforyou:

Elizabeth from Bakersfield, Sue near Cambridge UK & Pamici in Dallas & all newbies: Welcome!

Penny near the Pole: Your photos are wonderful and your descriptions golden. I feel like I’m seeing things through your eyes. What a beautiful place! Some censored words can be fixed with a judicious symbol. For example, a male chicken is called a c*ck. How do you deal with the winter season’s lack of light? :huh: I live at just above the 45th parallel and have solar temperature lights all over my home in order to avoid winter depression. It seems like the farther north you are, the more challenging it would be. :flowerforyou:

Lillian: You are right that your friends at TOPS have the skills they need to succeed. Motivation to change your way of life can be harder to come by. I’ve told my story before, so I hope those who’ve heard it will forgive the repetition. I found motivation to change when DH gave me riding lessons and I gave myself bursitis posting. My knees weren’t up the task of lifting my hefty self out of the saddle repeatedly for almost an hour. It made me furious. Then buying clothes for DS’s upcoming wedding added fuel to the fire and I wondered if there was an app to help. I did not know how to begin to change my situation until I found the MFP app. Here I am, a few years later and a lot of pounds lighter. I’ve transformed my body and my lifestyle, one day at a time, thanks to the skills provided by MFP and the moral support I found with this group. :heart:

Lisa in W TX: We bought stainless steel cookware ages ago and love it. We also have traditional cast iron. A little bit of olive oil spray has not harmed our health or our “bottom line.” I don’t trust the nonstick coatings that are applied to metal cookware. I use pyrex bake ware. I love the flags! I think you missed Lesley in New South Wales. :flowerforyou:

Csofled: Lovely picture! :flowerforyou:

It is another beautiful morning & I’m wondering about putting some fun into the day. I need to go to the Zagg store and get a new glass protector for my iphone. I dropped it and cracked the glass top. I’m pretty sure the protective glass did it’s job and the actual phone glass is undamaged. If I’m mistaken, I will be a sad and much poorer woman. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • elizabeth50inCalifornia
    elizabeth50inCalifornia Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    I don’t want to brag or make anybody jealous, but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school. showoff.gif

Janet Myrtle Beach, SC, That is too funny!

Elizabeth in CA