WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jroll001 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, my name is Joyce W. And I am new to MFP, and new to posting ( got a lot to learn and hope I am doing this post correctly ). Glad to know there's a group of ladies in my age group. May I join you all? Again, I am new to posting and hope I can find you again. I'll have my June Goals ready for posting on tomorrow.

Joyce certainly you can join us. We are glad to have you aboard. You will quickly learn to get around the site. Welcome and let us know how you're doing.

Janet in Oklahoma City
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi all this will be short because it's late. Had a busy day today and lots of errands planned for tomorrow, We got nearly 3' of rain between last night and today. Otherwise quiet. I need to pick a sink and faucet tomorrow for the sort-of-new kitchen

TNToni: I usually have summers totally off, but I didn't do clinical this spring because of my knee, so I had to make up my hours somehow. So it's assessment lab and an online nursing history course,

selena: I'm so sorry for your loss

DeeDee: yes between my kids and the animals we do live in a zoo! Benny is sleeping sweetly right now but he had us up at 2;40 last night because he hates storms.

Welcome newbies!

OK that's all I can manage tonight! Take care, Meg from wet Omaha
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Your son and his children are always in my prayers. I googled his lung condition and was saddened by the difficulty of the challenge he faces. You are likely the best grandma, and most courageous mom I know. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Michele: Thanks for your sympathy. I’m sorry our friends didn’t get the house next door, too. They want to know right away if another comes on the market. I don’t know when that might be, but you never can tell. The good news is that our neighbors (also friends) will be able to stay put in their home until the one they’re having built is ready for them. The buyer was willing to rent back it to them for the next 5 or 6 months. :smile:

Selena: I am so sorry for your daughter’s situation. What a terrible tragedy. Travel safely. My prayers are with you and your daughter. :heartbreak:

Joyce W and other newbies: Welcome to an amazing group of women. :flowerforyou:

I went to the eye doctor today because I have an itchy, swollen eyelid. I thought it might be a sty, but it is something called a chalazion instead. The handout I received says that it occurs when a gland in the eyelid becomes clogged. I’ve used drops and hot moist packs and it is feeling quite a bit better already. The swelling is going down, too. It still itches a bit although not as much as it did.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/url
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Selena - my thoughts and prayers are for your daughter and you. Safe travels.

GUESS WHAT!!! It is raining!! It has been raining for 2 hours already! We so do need it. We had minimal snow last winter and we have had one rain previous to this one and that was only a 1/2 inch here for us.

That was a really cool bike I seen back a few pages. Too bad I live on a gravel road.

Heading off to bed, stayed up way too late last night catching up on posts, didn't sleep well and did a lot of gardening and yard work today.

Night all

Lillian in Rainy West Central Saskatchewan

Opps... I better get everything ready for the power outage tomorrow morning 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. Good think I have a gas stove and my mom's Pyrex coffee pot. I can perk my coffee in the morning just like my dad used to do.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Selena- we are praying for you (((hugs)))

TNToni - I hope you heal quickly! Becca is right about the bag balm. It's kinda like Vaseline. I'm sorry you have to stay out of the pool. Get a spray bottle and lay next to it.

Metallaxi - welcome to a great group of friends. I also do the fasting, I do some of the concepts from the 8 hour diet. I also lift every other day since March. I do Strong Lift 5x5.

Jroll001 - welcome! There is a star on the right side of the screen that you click on to highlight it and it turns yellow. That will bookmark the page. What do you like to be called?

Jan - the quotes appear if you accidentally touch it and they reappear even if you delete them until you sent a reply. So if I accidentally hit a quote I will delete and send a short post. Or ignore it lol

Sylvia- your DGD sounds so precious! What a fun life you live!

Barbie- I haven't heard of that movie. I will google it. I love comedies. You are extremely active and very inspirational.

Pip - great burn as usual!

Katla- that was a very quick sale! Hopefully your friends will find a place close by.

Janet Myrtle Beach- I need to take my bike to a large parking lot to practice. I almost fell over side ways! It's like learning all over again!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • dlevans_59
    dlevans_59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody, I like this page. It is like a room where people drop in and say 'hi'. A busy hub. I guess that is where we are all at in our lives. I get lost at which person I am looking at, trying to follow the conversation. I guess that gets better with time.

Lisa, the other day you gave me some great advice about my husband. Just wanted to say thank you for it. Lots of women gave some good advice, I just don't remember all the names to thank.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow. Someone on here said to log, log log. Logging, is my careful constant and kind reminder to make good choices about my food.

Donna
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay,got to page 31 but
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Dreamwriter, Dad is having a dance recital??? maybe you didn't catch an autocorrect.

Lillian, I hate those updates. When I get them on my laptop, they appear just as I am ready to shut it down for the night but on my desk top I just get them whenever my computer decides to send them. I don't know why but I got 3 yesterday and another 3 today. It just totally cuts me off of what I am doing. How rude!!!!

Jules, you are so right about the doctors. Oh the books we could write about them. We have a family practice residency program at our hospital. We had this one guy who was the sweetest thing and had the most impeccable hand writing. So when he finished his 3 years, the hospital was just then changing insurance which was going to be a big change for us. So he got a lot of the staff, that's how much we loved him. I am still with him after zilions of years.

Lisa, I use a browser (Safari) on my tablet exclusively to get on the forums. I use the app to log anything.

Mary, Minnesota, where do you sit on that thing. And how do you pedal. Update, I watched a u-tube video. Neat. It's like if I took the screws holding the eliptical at the Y onto the gym floor out, I could just ride it down the street. Did it cost a pretty penny? I see you live in a bi-level also. I hate the stairs! If either Charlie and I get to the point we need to have a mobility chair put on the stairs, it will have to be for up and down. It was real hard on my Mom and now it is for my sister. I just see it as a challenge for me now. I hope DH and my health stay good we don't need it.

Carey, my DH was offered cardiac rehab after he had his heart attack two years ago but he refused. He is not one who takes some one telling him what to do very well. The day after discharge he was at the mall. But he had his own personal private duty nurse walking with him with a blood pressure cuff. I would stop him about every 10 minutes and make him rest. I also made him go home after 1 mile. He walks 2 - 3 miles every day still. Of course now that he has Parkinson's, he has more of a reason to walk.

Katla, no the car will not be fixed. It is a 2002, we have the basic required insurance on it. The door closes OK, I'm sure where the exact point of impact was it will have some rusting through the years but it runs fine and that's the car that takes us all on vacation. It's a 7 passenger extended length minivan with a luggage rack on top. If we are on a physically active vacation I rent a mobility scooter here and take it. So that takes a lot of the luggage area inside. DH says he isn't upset since he knows it was a stupid mistake. That is a WOW moment for him. I think it is because his stupid mistake actually took the door off.

Sylvia, when my girls were young and we were in a public place and they misbehaved, I took them to the bathroom to have a discussion. They knew the next time I had to take them out of the situation ad go to the bathroom it would not to be to discuss anything. So that rarely happened. Only problem was that if it was just them and their Dad he ignored that behavior.

Allison, Why didn't you stop at my house? I'm sure southern Indiana was on your way home.

Selena, I am so sorry for your loss. Does she have any children? I know that shouldn't make any difference but it sure makes it hard on the kids and Mom when Mom has to pull double duty. Prayers for you for a safe trip and being with your daughter through this trying time. Don't worry about us at all.

ydailey, wish you well in cleaning up the mess. Am so glad your Father's house was intact. I have never been in any kind of disaster so I con't even envision what it is like to either go through it or clean up and try to pick up the pieces of your life again.

tngram, this lady in the iron lung was very interesting. She could be out of the lung 1 hour 3 times/day. I am sure she got very tired of explaining how the lung worked. Eventually her insurance stooped paying for home health nurses :o but the nurses continued anyway, just off the clock. They would take their lunch breaks at her house and her Mom would fix them lunch.

Welcome to our newbies, Gramzies1234, toniwilson47, sisterpam, mjones1029, metllaxi. and Joyce W. metallaxi, we had a lady join about a week ago from Greece. I think her name was Stephani. Joyce,W did I see an RN on your name pin??? I am an RN also. I guess I am going to have to add a K to my name as I have been the only Joyce here.

Going to see the new Jurassic Park movie tomorrow. So this week, several stations have had the 3 previous ones on. So now we are caught up. I have no idea if they will be using any of the same characters or plot line in the new one. I wanted to go to the 11 AM showing. But DH has medicines to take at 12:30 and he is afraid he will miss them so we will go to the 1 PM. I'm just afraid that the line will be long enough we won't even be able to get tickets. And I don't like a crowded theater. Talking about temperature, it is 80 degrees and almost 2 AM here!

Joyce K, Indiana

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    (((Selena))) What a shock to lose a loved one so suddenly and at so young an age. My heart goes out to you and your daughter.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Selena: so sorry. Thinking of you and your daughter.

Vicki: good to see you!

Michele: sorry Bryan is causing you pain.

Sylvia: lovely day with your granddaughter. I remember those days with my grandmother; enjoyed them so much.

Finally slept pretty well last night, but I had gone to bed too late. I’ve been exhausted since the bronchitis a few weeks ago. Hope I do better tonight.

It will be a warm day today. Little buddy and I are going to the holistic vet later. He gets seen every few months. It’s a different person this time, so I hope she’s good.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~Boy I am out of shape :s I was bending at the waist instead of with knees picking for an hour .. Oy I am sore this morning...
    Michelle if we were closer I would buy the kayak from you. that is something that I want to do when I move to florida..
    Selena~ my thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and your family,just heartbreaking..
    The contractor has put off the kitchen until the 23rd, of the month and has to get all the cabinets in by june 30th so that they can measure for countertops as that is the last day of the sale...
    Tom will have to go see his dad tomorrow,and the electrician has more work to do so he will be here again Saterday, we are going to a graduation party saterday afternoon ... so we will leave Tony here to work
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Selena - Hugs and prayers for you and your daughter.

TNToni - Ouch! Keep saying no, but no pool for two weeks - OMG!

Sisterpam - You sound as if you are in the same position as me. I also have about half of me to get rid of. It is lovely to see all the people on this site who have worked so hard to reach their goals but also wonderful to meet someone who is at the beginning of their journey. I swim as cannot run ( even difficult to walk sometimes). Heather is such an inspiration. I have only been on the site for a few months and have only know her as someone who exercises all the time and is up for anything. Reading today about how she started was such an eyeopener for me.

Caitwn - I am also a motorcycle accident survivor, one of the reasons the knees are so bad.

Terri - Rant away! I can take it. I love hearing about everyone's lives and struggles. I don't tend to write much about my life as so little happens. Work-home-work-home, bit of swimming inbetween, and ofcourse the occassional trips up to the West Midlands to see family.

Alison - I echo Cynthia, so nice to hear things are going nicely for you.

Sorry for all the people I have missed. Like I said I do enjoy reading all the posts and am with you every step of the way. Just so much going on. Prayers and hugs for you all and hope everything you do is enjoyable.

Gilly, Suffolk UK

84029784.png
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Selena :) I'm so sorry to hear about your DSIL :brokenheart: I was 39 when my hubby died. Prayers for your daughter and you❤️
  • Nanalleen
    Nanalleen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SelenaP63 wrote: »
    There's been so much going on. Too much. I should be packing up the house for a move. I'm packing a suitcase instead. My 30 yr old daughter called this morning. Her 34 yr old husband died. No cause known yet. I'm not sure why I'm telling you... I probably won't be back for another 300 posts or so and will never catch up. But maybe for the prayers of strangers who've become friends? Hugs to all.
    Selena in Utah

Headed to Alberta

Selena:

My prayers and thoughts to you and your daughter.
    Colleen in PA
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot :flowerforyou:
  • feelsgood2
    feelsgood2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Selena, best wishes to you and your daughter - cant imagine how you both must be feeling. Hang in there.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
    Morning everyone! Happy Friday from NE Ohio where it is going to be near 90 degrees today! I may have to start walking in the local mall to get my steps in at these temps.

Needing some encouragement in the pounds lost dept. as the scale hasn't budged in 2 weeks. I have been on MFP for 14 weeks and have lost 12 pounds. I have a 1300 calorie budget. Walking and strength training are my exercises of choice. I don't eat back my exercise calories for the most part. I must say I feel my body changing shape and most of my size16 pants are now wearable. I just wish the scale would move a little each week. Trying to be patient with this process. I am in it for the long haul!

Here's to a great day everyone! :)

Cheri in Fairlawn, Ohio
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    All caught up reading! Extremely happy to report the most unusual.......a great nights sleep!!! About seven hours worth, believe me, that is amazing for me. YAY! It is soooooo great to feel like I actually slept!

Watering finished. Breakfast next....in summer, usually a hard boiled egg followed by 2 % plain Fage yogurt with fruit....raspberries today, I think. More 90's in the ten day forecast than eighties...yuck, too early for those temps. DD off work today until 2:30pm, asleep yet.

Mary.....thanks, I guess I was doing the right thing, just deleting, then doing a post....it never happened until recently, but I never used the iPad so much either. Hope I haven't been sending everybody random quotes from their posts, if so I apologize.

Cynthia.....may you feel better every day!

Donna.....if you have the time to hang around, you will learn everybody quickly.

Sylvia.....nothing like a little girl in love with a new dress! And maxis are in yet again!

Wishing a great day for everyone.......yesterday that came out that I hoped we all had "Google" days,go figure! These things really do have a mind of their own!

Yanniejannie
    MidAtlantic

• alliebug42560
    alliebug42560 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! Glad to find this group! I want to lose about 30 pounds.
    My name is Deb aka alliebug42560 and I hail from west Michigan
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Selena - sometimes the comfort of strangers is best of all, as it's pure, without thought of return or need for anything more than acceptance. I am so sorry for your daughter's loss, and your own. I hope you are there safe, and while I know you won't, indeed can't check back this far down this thread, I hope you can feel all of us reaching out to support you when things are so tough right now...

GRITS/SLUTS - the thread does change every month, but the amazing Barbie always puts a link right at the end of the thread to the new one. I appreciate it, it feels like being able to cast off the old, start anew... It's OK, breathe, you've got like 18 whole days! smiley-gen113.gif

Newbies - all of you, welcome to this amazing, busy, comforting, busy, bustling, busy thread full of love and support, smiley-gen013.gif and some kick-asserysmiley-gen041.gif and tons of folks who just reach out to make sure everyone's OK... I love this place, and I do think of it as both place and community, in ways I had almost given up on the Internet supplying after so many years.

Donna - you're welcome. Trying to lose weight without the support of your SO (significant other) may be the hardest thing any of us try to do. Ever. The visitor I had this last weekend confirmed for me that my ex sabotaged me and all my efforts to diet in ways I thought I had exaggerated in my memory... She also showed me a current picture of him ( I haven't seen him in five years). Karma can be... exquisite. Just sayin'... smiley-gen121.gif

Alison
    - I am so glad to see things becoming closer to normality for you and your DH. And renovations are so stressful... Hope it's over soon.

Heather in the UK and all the other break-a-leggers and well-wishers - thank you! Yes, "break a leg," means the same thing out of the theatre world here... My book signing was not a bust...but had less than 25% of the attendance I had hoped. Ten attendees, sold 14 books, got pre-paid orders for three of the next book. Learned a lot about what to do, and what not to do. The best part is, now the first one's done and dusted, and the next one will be much less stressful, one hopes! Funnily enough, out of all that publicity, exactly ONE person showed up from the write-ups in the paper... which may say more about the paper readership than me, I hope.

Today is that inevitable let-down, you know? Trying not to second guess the whole process, or indulge in the "if-only's" or "I should haves." It's always temporary. The best part about being over 50 is knowing myself better and knowing this aftermath feeling is not permanent. It's simply a symptom that this means a LOT to me -- I have chosen to commit my life to making writing my career, and I do not wish, nor intend to fail.

Time to go run and shake off the day-after doldrums!

LisaH from West Texas

Picture of me from last night in full-on performance mode... happily signing a book... :blush:

h7oa7orz1zmt.jpg

45970499.png