WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    KateKyi wrote: »
    Hi My name is Kate and I turned 50 in April. I have been depressed for 7 years and live alone. I have little support. I have always been over weight. Since my depression I have become a couch potato and lost all muscle tone. The Good news is I have taken back control. I will not be depressed any more.
    In March I started to cycle under a Cycle for health scheme to get me out of the house and fitter.
    Goals for June
    Keep a food diary for the whole month
    Do more cycling - aiming for 3 times a week. I do 3.4 miles twice a week and 8 miles once a week.
    At the start of June I weighed 280 pounds and I am not weighing me until 1 July.
    I am weighing the food I eat so I dont need to weigh me too.
    I have difficulty with my lower back that stops me walking (hoping the bike riding will help but I know I need to do stretches too)
    I have cut out sugars and pre processed foods. I include sweetners in the cutting sugar category.

Hi, Kate, and Welcome! I am Kay, but folks on here call me Katie of Katiebug. Nobody in real life calls me Either anymore except a few cousins that I don't see often. I secretly like Kate and Katie better than Kay,

You have come to the right place for support. This bunch is fantastic!

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I am new to MFP. I just celebrated my 50th birthday. I am committed to getting fit this year. I have about 40lbs to lose. In addition to the weight loss, I want to get fit i.e. strong, healthy and active. I really like the positive support I see in this group. How do I join?

Welcome! You join just by posting. You can find the thread easily by marking it as a favorite by clicking on the star at the top of the page. At the beginning of each month, Barbiecat starts a new thread and puts a link to it in a post on this thread.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    cegmctx3wfyt.jpg

LOVE it!

Cheri
  • csofled
    Options
    @jmkmomm Cheri, many of us who haven't seen the scale move just use our own body as a judge as to how we are doing. do you keep your own body measurements? I am bad in that I didn't take them at first and I also didn't take a picture. Can be humiliating but needs to be done.

I did not do any body measurements and I regret that because I know my body has changed size wise. Also no picture Ugh!

Cheri
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    For weeks, the scale's been hovering around 162 to 163.5, though net Cals rose above goal (which predictive text just tried to turn into "above God"!!!) only 3 days since May 15. Today, UNDER 160!!!!! I don't usually break out the bangs (editor slang for !!s), but I'm excited!!! So excited I got in 1200 steps in front of the mirror rather than my usual 300 - 400. YAHOO!!! WHOOP JAMBOREE!!!!

Thank you for this post as I have been hovering at that same number for just about that same amount of time! I will keep the faith and let you know when I get to that same number you just celebrated!
  • csofled
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    For weeks, the scale's been hovering around 162 to 163.5, though net Cals rose above goal (which predictive text just tried to turn into "above God"!!!) only 3 days since May 15. Today, UNDER 160!!!!! I don't usually break out the bangs (editor slang for !!s), but I'm excited!!! So excited I got in 1200 steps in front of the mirror rather than my usual 300 - 400. YAHOO!!! WHOOP JAMBOREE!!!!

Woot! Woot! Congrats! lol 1200 steps!

Cheri in Fairlawn, Ohio

• butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm here I live in Oregon. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota

Thanks, for the encouraging words. After losing the 125 lbs. I got lax and told myself I know how to eat now. Which I do, but knowing and doing are two different things. I know this is a lifetime commitment and I'm in for the long haul.

Janetr Oklahoma City
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Kathleen (Toronto, Canada) - Welcome Kathleen, glad you found us. This is a great support group, lurking is great :). Please join in when you feel like it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Your exercise regime is far more challenging than mine, but you’re still a young pup. :bigsmile: :devil: I agree that the routine of daily exercise is a fitness engine that keeps you getting stronger and more fit because it is a regular part of life. I now take classes at the gym 3 to 5 days a week, and am more active on the weekends, too. I like it! :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: You need a bike of your own so you can ride with the girls, and it needs to fit. :heart:

Barbie: Your living room sounds amazing. The idea of it has me smiling. :bigsmile:

Lillian: Exercising in a cool basement on hot days is brilliant. :flowerforyou:

Mary from MN: It took time for me to adjust to retirement, too. I credit MFP for a very nice boost that encourages active living rather than sitting in front of the boob tube knitting all day. :wink: :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I hear and share your wishes for better fitting skin. I have no intention of getting a plastic surgeon to tighten everything. Maybe yoga togs every day is a good plan, or just admitting I’m 65 and counting. I’ve discovered that my wrinkles are worse if I don’t get enough water during the day. :noway: I love today’s joke. “Would you study?” What a novel idea! (retired teacher here.) :laugh:

Lillian: CONGRATULATIONS! Logging for 365 days is the beginning of a great new lifestyle. :flowerforyou:

I worked in my tiny garden this morning. I took out all of the Snowpea Taiwan Sugar vines that were not up to standard but still have Oregon Sugar Snap peas that are awesome. I planted Purple King beans where the yucky pea plants were. I’ll do a second planting of beans when I take out the Sugar Snap peas. They usually finish producing by July 4th.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Couldn't wait for DDIL to get back to me with a photo so I've taken a photo of the Touchnote postcard she sent. My two gorgeous grandchildren outside their parents' bedroom. Check out DGD in her mum's shoes. She's holding Rabbit, her comforter.
    Seeing them Wednesday week. Ooooohhhhh, can't wait!

Heather x x lpqzu4wt9k0a.jpg
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    OK ~ I just wrote a very long rant about my sis and I having to keep up my mom's house...taxes, insurance, utilities, yard, repairs. All because we are in a living trust with her until she passes away - which they pushed her into doing. My 3 brothers refuse to help and they are the executors so we can't sell the house. It is so frustrating.

Carol/Peach
  • metallaxi
    metallaxi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I live in Greece, on an island in the Aegean called Syros, the capital of the Cyclades complex of islands.
    My code name metallaxi is the greek word for transformation. My real name is Evangelia :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • seonagofsca
    seonagofsca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    New to the group and recently back to fitness pal. Making a point of signing on everyday to try and stay on track. Great to be in a group of like, minded 50 + women.

About my self: Seonag is my alias so to speak. Mature retired woman, trying to stay healthy, loose weight and become more active, now I no longer have the excuse of work. Love gardening, walking if it is somewhere interesting to go, like camping, fishing (anything outdoors really), craft - aholic, and foodie (clean eating goal). Recently moved to Tennessee, Knoxville area. Would like to find someone to workout with for motivation
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Lisa

The best 150 lbs - I ever lost was my Ex. Sure it was emotionally painful, left a few scars but overall I am soooooo much happier now. B)
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy sat.Another warm day and more rain.
    Welcome to the new ladies.So I feel like im falling apart at 59.The sciatica is getting better.Went to open a window last night and pulled something in my shoulder.Yikes.
    Have a good day.
    HUGS jane
  • janetr7476
    Options
    metallaxi - Evangelia, oh I'm sure it really is beautiful there. I'd love to see a picture if you have any.