WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    seonagofsca - Welcome and good luck on your journey to better eating. My exact reason for being here too. Glad you joined us. :)
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this party, but can I come anyway?

June goals:
    • Burn more.
    • Eat a little bit more.
    • Mix things up to keep the knees happy.
    • Make every parade (dance) practice.
    • Take some Me time.
    • Hit 165.
    • Improve body fat %.

My name is Heather and I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. Age 54, 5 kids, 2 grandsons. Computer programmer. Dancer. Been lifting since my early 20s.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Janet and Katyrain congrats on weight loss.

Katekyi great goals.

Heather darling!

Carol ((hugs.)) My brother who has power of attorney and executor is in the process of getting my mom's house ready to sell to help pay for her Nursing home care. DSIL over saw the removal of the extra stuff of my mom's and my brother's hoard. I thinks it took someone who could step outside the box to get this massive job done. Eight trunk loads of stuff came out. I do like how she staged the house. They keep a few pieces of furniture and then used some of my mom's cat collection as decoration. They also left a large frog in the back yard that I am sure my mom got because of her trip to Switzerland where they had frogs decorated all different kinds of ways. Chicago followed suit with cows and St. Paul did the Peanut characters.

Still it was hard to get leave this morning as I toured the house for the last time. I like how well the house shows, but then I do remember how it was. When I went through the photos there were several pictures of what it was like. It is just like that tour guide in St. Paul said. Things have to change to make way for something new.

:heart: MNMargaret

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    nur4d8vst13l.jpg

Before
    nbhsri3l3dlx.jpg

After
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ! ! !

Pat - thanks for sharing your flowers. My garden is resting this year, and I miss it.

Allison - nice horoscope. Go for it ! ! !

Janetr - Congrats on your loss.

Lisa - Congrats on breaking your plateau.

Cheri - Congrats on your loss.

Lillian - Congrats on your 365 days!

JanetMMc - Congrats on your loss.

Carol - Hugs for the stress of your mom's house.

Thanks for the sympathies for Yukon. Sisters SO was able to take the day off work, so she didn't have to do it alone. She never had children, so her dogs are her children (she is my DS guardian, but only because he is an athletic teenager now). Someone in her town will be dropping a dog on her porch shortly - at least that is how it usually happens.

DS and DH and I all got to the Fitness Center at my work today, and it was wonderful. DH acted as DS's spotter, so I could focus on me. I took a few pictures, rode the bike for 30 minutes, and walked slowly both forward and backwards on the treadmill. Then we ran a bunch of errands together: Big Lots for MuscleMilk and such, mostly for DS. Chick fil a for lunch, where I ate nothing (amazing NSV for me, as it is something I have NEVER done). Best Buy for printer cartridge. Home for haircuts. DH got his shaved again (might as well, since there is only a 2 inch horseshoe around the bottom); and shaved bottom medium top for DS, so it isn't so hot now that he will have basketball and weights every day and baseball almost every evening. Now DH wants to go to PigglyWiggly, and I want to get produce at El Rey (my favorite store for produce and chicken fajita meat).

Welcome to everyone new, and Hugs for EVERYONE ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pip - love Blondy! >:)

Heather UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. I am working 12 hours today and tomorrow. I can handle it as don't have to see my boss. Monday evening we are having a staff meeting and I know it will be very interesting, a lot of unhappy people.

Selena--Sorry to hear about your DD's husband. Sending prayers and hugs for all of you.

LisaH--Thanks for sharing the picture, Looking good! We are here to share what is going on in our lives and so your marketing is what is important to you. Not sure I said that right, but hope you understand what I mean.

Heather--Congrates on the losing the pound. I am getting so excited for your cruise. I so enjoy your trips and Thank you very much for sharing them. You have very cute DGC, they are growing up so fast.

Becca--Congrates on your loss of 2 pounds.

Mia--Great NSV's!!

pip--How very nice of you to help that lady. If more people would do things like that I think it would help those of us to embrassed to ask for help or keep going to gym.

Pat--Beautiful flowers.

Allison--sounds like good things are ahead for you. You more then deserve it.

Cheri--Congrates on your loss!! You go girl!

Lillan--One year!!!!!!!!! That is fantastic.

Margaret--change is not easy and letting go of your growing up home is hard. Sending (((HUGS))).

Happy Dance!!! I am up to date. Been behind all week. Been really slow here at work today and I am working alone most the day. DH will pick me up and we will go to church, so be after 8 when we get home and get to come back tomorrow for another 12 hours. It is really hot and muggy out so glad to be inside, but not getting a lot of steps.
    Welcome to all the new ladies. We are growing so fast, I love it. So much wisdom here. Have a good evening ladies and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words. I really appreciate it. :)
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello All,
    My name is Lori, I live in Wisconsin.
    My weight loss journey began 3 1/2 years ago. I weighed 297 on December 26th 2011. I joined Weight Watchers and lost 45 ish pounds over the next several months then stalled for two years. Last year in May I was back up to 259. My personal trainer left my gym and passed me onto another who asked me when I would get serious about weight loss. That is when I joined MFP.
    That was the wake up call I needed and my current weight is 181. I workout most days and two weeks ago I completed my first sprint triathlon.
    I have been married for 35 years, albeit rocky at the current time. I have two adult boys who still live at home. I am an interior designer and own my own store.
    I went back and read the last several pages of posts. You all sound so very supportive of each other.
    My goal is to be under 150 pounds by the end of this year. Next year I would like to do an olympic length triathlon and run a 1/2 marathon.

Lori from Wisconsin
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @DeeDee2211 We used to buy lotion by 4's / 4 kids 50/ 4 bottles of 30protec/ 4 bottles of 10 protec.....I wanted to invent a shower that emitted lotion you could just stand under....couple times a day of head to toe. You have to be a smart nudist. I have come to realize that I just like to be out in the elements and a tan isn't the goal its just an after effect. The resort was like a cool fat farm... I would buy only great stuff to eat, berries and granola for breakfast, lunch was fresh spinach, some goat cheese and some deli meats/ dinner was usually some kind of salad with meat in it as well. I played water-volleyball in the mid mornings and tennis in the afternoons. My sons and I played tennis then I got into the doubles playing. Oh the laughing and snorting that would go on. Same joke though... "Hey I don't have enough balls Joe....then realizing what ya just said...."ah dang it" *hand to your forehead*....typical response..."I got yer balls right here".....then everyone would throw tennis balls at Joe... After dinner was dancing up at the main bldg that housed the office/library/lounge bar/ and dance floor with a disco ball....great weekends and I would always come back home with a loss!

@DamitJanit I used to have a teeshirt that read....Garden Naked-It puts sun on your cheeks... hahaha! I used to introduce to people that I was a nudist...It weeded all the people that wouldn't understand that bit of me that just likes to engage in that activity. And yep, some of the moms I have met have never approached me again. Oh well, their loss I guess.

Today is bright blue sky at the coast! I forgot to water my community garden this morning, but will this early evening. I was lazy....
    Tomorrow traveling to my inlaws but traffic shouldnt be bad with it being a Sunday. Hopefully.

Had a long conversation with eldest son that is in the Navy. He is currently in Key West Florida helping train pilots and he is keeping the planes flying. He is a Aviation Tech, and is a 3rd Class Petty Officer. He is still a single guy, but enjoying playing with a truck, scooter, and car that he maintains. Like big Lego kits in his eyes. He has a Japanese style Deitsu truck that looks like a semi-truck for small kids. Its the cutest thing ever. He recently had it worked on and the owner of the shop wants to have him drive it in the July 4th parade in Oak Harbor WA when he comes back from Florida. He is excited about that. Its a small town and he is getting recognized with his the things he drives around town. He is shy and so its a great way to immerse yourself into a community. People remember unusual things they see. I am proud of him!
    Becca by the beach just because. :-)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    jog- 44.03min, 8.48ap, 3.5incline 6.5speed to 0incline 7.0speed every other song last song and 1/2 0 incline, 8.0-10.0speed, 5mi = 487c
    rowing machine- 30min, 7479meters or 4,65miles, machine was off, watts not correct = 228c
    total cal 715

welcome cblue !
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @cblue315 Lori you are Amazing girl!!!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Jules: I absolutely love hot stone massages. The first time I ever had one was on a cruise. I looked for a masseuse as soon as I got home. I have very tense shoulders and this is the only time that I've ever had them loosened up. Regular massage just doesn't do it for me.

Lillian: Have a great day! You have amazing perseverance!

Barbie:You're poodles are so cute... oohh them eyes!

Welcome to all the NEWBIE's.

fry.gif Well, I made curry chicken last night using a recipe from skinny taste. Heather, it was delicious even if I didn't have all the correct spices. The recipe called for coconut milk, the first time I've ever used it. It smelled amazing while cooking so much so my mouth was watering. Next time I'll add a little more of the Jamaican curry powder.

Went to Tai Chi today as well that makes 3 times this week. Trying to mix it up and see what happens. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Thought for the day: Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born. ~Dale E. Turner

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn
    W2: Lunch with a friend, going away party for co-worker... 2 more...yay!)
    W3: Pedicure
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    Options
    we'll.... peep-o-la's -

today i ran 5miles, no big but i usually have been only doing incline running. this time i alternated every other song like it says on my stats. i guess running strictly inlines worked cuz i hadn't had it on 0 incline for a bit so i thought i would do it but on a higher speed. i was so full of energy and i don't know why, guess all that incline running worked on my calves and quads because i could have done another 5 no problem. at a 7.0speed it was easy. i rode a total of 84miles on the bike this week so i felt like i wasn't going to have enough push in me to go that fast, much less get it up to an 8-10speed. our bodies are an amazing machine. of course, kirby did his 10miles and under 8minute mile. i have never tried to see how fast i can be on the treadmill but i am cool with that. tomorrow we are going to do a 5k run/walk. he is going to walk the 2 older ones and i am going to run yogi, the youngest, we will see how he does. i think this will be his first organized run.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    i didn't notice til now, i'm at 1050 logging streak!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Kirby~ you handsome devil you ;):*<3
    nice graduation party.. enjoyed seeing the family....
    only about 6,000 steps...
    the cousins were go ding Tom to let me get a gym membership as they are all fitness freaks.. didn't work , he says walking is free..
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, Everyone. :smiley: I'm new and glad to have found such an awesome group here!

Just need to vent my frustration about trying to help a guy friend. He is morbidly obese at 5'9" and nearly 400 lbs. He used to be 500 lbs. and said he got 'down to about 300 lbs.' a few years ago when his wife divorced him, partly because of his massive weight.

He started a new job last Aug. and has eaten his way back up to nearly 400 lbs. :o This guy will be 60 yo the end of July. He started online dating last summer and has been romance scammed a couple of times. Thinks he can land a 29-34 year old skinny blonde model for his next wife! (big eye roll)

He has asked for my help and ideas several times. But everything I suggest absolutely will NOT work for him (he has multiple excuses). Blames his severe weight problem entirely on 'genetics'! It could not possibly be the 5000 calories he eats every day, which always includes french fries and a giant sugary soda. God forbid, he ever use MFP, look up calorie counts, weigh/measure any food portions, or even use the eye/hand portion method.

After putting it off for 7 years, he finally went to his dr. for a physical recently. No surprise, his blood sugar is high. He's been on cholesterol med for several years. The dr. really got onto him about needing to lose the big excess weight and watch his sugar intake. So now he's feeding his sugar habit with large amounts of frozen yogurt and lots of sugary fruit and drinks all day.

I'm really scared he will have a heart attack, stroke or end up with a permanent disability. :( There's also another part of me that's just plain mad because he's in denial and refuses to do anything to help himself. >:)

It's now very clear to me that he's an emotional eater and food addict who absolutely does not want to give up the massive amounts of very unhealthy food he's using to self-medicate.

Yes, I know the 12 step principles. It's not my business or responsibility, and I'm powerless over someone else. I have decided to detach. Unfortunately, he will have to suffer the consequences of his bad habits and food addiction. He will have to find solutions if and when he's ready to do so (or not). It's just so VERY SAD to see someone killing themself in this way. Anyway, thank you for 'listening'. - Nancy
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Lillian :) Congrats on your one year anniversary on MFP :bigsmile:!

Cheri :) Congrats on your weight loss!!!! :happy:

Barbie :) Brandy and Sasha are adorable <3 !

Jane Martin :) Hope your shoulder feels better soon :flowerforyou:!

Janet Oaklahoma :) Congrats on the 3 pounds gone!!! :happy:

Carol/Peach :) The fur babies look so cute <3 ! Sorry to hear about the house situation, sending you a hug!

Katla :) I'm looking forward to hearing about Mary's adventures on her bike, I'm thinking I might look into getting one. You had a busy morning in your garden! What didn't you like about the peas you pulled up?

Sylvia :) Love the jokes :laugh:!!! I bet you feel better now than you did before you lost the weight, I would just wear things that covered up the sagging skin. You're a beautiful person <3 , don't ever forget that!

Heather :) Gorgeous grandchildren <3 !

Janet Myrtle Beach :) I would love to be there right now, listening to the sound of the ocean...ahhh if I close my eyes I can almost hear it now!

Margaret :) Hugs <3 Have a safe trip home!

Pip :) Cute blonde!!! :love:

Carey :) The chicken curry sounds delish!!! I always love your quotes, thanks for sharing them!!! I love the little chef icon, reminds me of me :laugh:.

Becca :) I think a shower of sunscreen would be great!!! I've had two skin cancers removed and I preach sunscreen!! Wow, it sounds like you had a marvelous time at the resort, and losing weight there too...woo hoo!!!

Vicki :) I'm wishing you good luck at the staff meeting!!! If they had put the right person (you) in the position, there would not be so many unhappy people!

It's been a beautiful day here, sunny and hot and a little humid, but there is a nice breeze too. I love summer time <3! Ms. Dog doesn't much care for the heat though, she would much rather be relaxing in the air conditioning :laugh:! Here is a pic of her relaxing out on the patio

9pretgm9zbbr.jpg

Welcome to everyone new! These are wonderful supportive women!!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Happy Saturday, Everyone. :smiley: I'm new and glad to have found such an awesome group here!

Just need to vent my frustration about trying to help a guy friend. He is morbidly obese at 5'9" and nearly 400 lbs. He used to be 500 lbs. and said he got 'down to about 300 lbs.' a few years ago when his wife divorced him, partly because of his massive weight.

He started a new job last Aug. and has eaten his way back up to nearly 400 lbs. :o This guy will be 60 yo the end of July. He started online dating last summer and has been romance scammed a couple of times. Thinks he can land a 29-34 year old skinny blonde model for his next wife! (big eye roll)

He has asked for my help and ideas several times. But everything I suggest absolutely will NOT work for him (he has multiple excuses). Blames his severe weight problem entirely on 'genetics'! It could not possibly be the 5000 calories he eats every day, which always includes french fries and a giant sugary soda. God forbid, he ever use MFP, look up calorie counts, weigh/measure any food portions, or even use the eye/hand portion method.

After putting it off for 7 years, he finally went to his dr. for a physical recently. No surprise, his blood sugar is high. He's been on cholesterol med for several years. The dr. really got onto him about needing to lose the big excess weight and watch his sugar intake. So now he's feeding his sugar habit with large amounts of frozen yogurt and lots of sugary fruit and drinks all day.

I'm really scared he will have a heart attack, stroke or end up with a permanent disability. :( There's also another part of me that's just plain mad because he's in denial and refuses to do anything to help himself. >:)

It's now very clear to me that he's an emotional eater and food addict who absolutely does not want to give up the massive amounts of very unhealthy food he's using to self-medicate.

Yes, I know the 12 step principles. It's not my business or responsibility, and I'm powerless over someone else. I have decided to detach. Unfortunately, he will have to suffer the consequences of his bad habits and food addiction. He will have to find solutions if and when he's ready to do so (or not). It's just so VERY SAD to see someone killing themself in this way. Anyway, thank you for 'listening'. - Nancy

hey there, i feel your pain. there was this guy i used to work with...same thing, only he was married and his excuses were that he was taking his kids to softball and by the time he got home the only thing was to go get a pizza on his way home and blah blah blah... i asked if his wife was enabling him or willing to help him, i gave him all the ideas in the world, like she could make you dinner and you could eat while he was playing softball or better yet, eat here then when his kid was playing he could walk and NO dinner for him cuz he had his.. no junk food, slurpees etc,... i would look in his desk and see all the treats and told him all this has got to go. i don't know what happened but i was finally inappropriate with him and got fed up and said, don't you want to see your kids graduate? get married? walk her down the isle? see grandkids?????? at this rate, none of this s@#$T is going to happen. i explained, i could give you all the suggestions and help in the world but YOU are the one in the final end that has to do it, not me. i was wanting it more for him than he was. i later apologized and said i was out of line. he was about 30something at the time. i think i saw him on a friends pic and things haven't changed. now his knees and ankles are starting to give out from all the weight he's carrying. you have got to want it for yourself. there is no magic pill.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    OOOh! I forgot about one of my deals from Walgreen's yesterday - Seasons 1 & 2 of Downton Abbey for $7.50 , so I am looking forward to my next long trip or yucky weekend, so I can binge-watch them. Can't wait ! ! !