tlflag1620 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Because the "low carb diet" is the in thing now.....just like all the other "diets" in the past, just another fad diet. LOL ;)

Yeah, that 100 year old fad really hasn't been around that long at all, amazing doctors have been prescribing it at all when it's only been successful longer than the FDA has existed. What's next, the sage wisdom that as soon as you eat carbs again, CICO magically stops working, or the advice that it can't be done long term?

LC is nothing more than IIFYM with a big gap between carbs and fat. Why do you hate IIFYM so much?
    Where did state that I hated IIFYM???
    Because the "low carb diet" is the in thing now.....just like all the other "diets" in the past, just another fad diet. LOL ;)

Yeah, that 100 year old fad really hasn't been around that long at all, amazing doctors have been prescribing it at all when it's only been successful longer than the FDA has existed. What's next, the sage wisdom that as soon as you eat carbs again, CICO magically stops working, or the advice that it can't be done long term?

LC is nothing more than IIFYM with a big gap between carbs and fat. Why do you hate IIFYM so much?

I am not aware of an IIFYM version that restricts foods....

LC doesn't restrict foods. If you really wanted to, you could have that fun sized snickers bar for breakfast and not eat any other carbs for the rest of the day. It's just more intelligent to use that macro for things like vegetables. People on LC often choose to restrict foods because they have other conditions that warrant it, like diabetes or IR. That's a personal choice, just like people who don't like spinach or are allergic to nuts choose not to eat spinach or nuts, even though they'd fit their macros.

really? So you are not restricting your carb intake to a certain level?

You do restrict your carbs on LC (obviously), just like you restrict your calories when calorie counting. What foods you eat is still up to you. I can have a couple cans of pop on LC diet, or I can have an absolute crap ton of fibrous veggies, some whole dairy, seeds and nuts, and a small amount of low sugar fruit for the same amount of carbs. Just like a person can have a donut for breakfast or some oatmeal with fruit for similar calorie levels. Carbs aren't a "food" they are a macro, but you know this :)

ummm if you are restricting carbs then that means that there are certain foods like pasta, rice, etc that you can't eat; hence, you are restricting them. Unless you are saying different? The poster is trying to conflate IIFYM with LC, which IMO is not a valid comparison point.

I don't see what a donut for breakfast has to do with this...

I can, and do, eat pasta, rice, and potatoes, etc. you can't eat those things when you are keto (but that's not simply LC), and many LC plans have people do a short term "induction" phase where you can't eat those foods. However, you do gradually add back carbs as you approach maintenance and, depending on your personal tolerance level, you may very well be able to have small portions of starchy carbs now and then. You are restricting carbs, much the same way someone might restrict calories; how many carbs (or calories) you have to "spend" and what you choose to spend them on, is still up to you!

interesting, considering you have potatoes listed once in the past seven days in your diary and none of these other foods that you say you eat.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LC doesn't restrict foods. If you really wanted to, you could have that fun sized snickers bar for breakfast and not eat any other carbs for the rest of the day. It's just more intelligent to use that macro for things like vegetables. People on LC often choose to restrict foods because they have other conditions that warrant it, like diabetes or IR. That's a personal choice, just like people who don't like spinach or are allergic to nuts choose not to eat spinach or nuts, even though they'd fit their macros.

You do restrict your carbs on LC (obviously), just like you restrict your calories when calorie counting. What foods you eat is still up to you. I can have a couple cans of pop on LC diet, or I can have an absolute crap ton of fibrous veggies, some whole dairy, seeds and nuts, and a small amount of low sugar fruit for the same amount of carbs. Just like a person can have a donut for breakfast or some oatmeal with fruit for similar calorie levels. Carbs aren't a "food" they are a macro, but you know this :)

ummm if you are restricting carbs then that means that there are certain foods like pasta, rice, etc that you can't eat; hence, you are restricting them. Unless you are saying different? The poster is trying to conflate IIFYM with LC, which IMO is not a valid comparison point.

I don't see where I mentioned donuts either, but that doesn't seem to stop you. If you are restricting carbs to 100, you can have pasta, rice, etc. If you are restricting carbs to 75, you can have them, but you'll have to trade something else to make them fit your macros. If you're restricting to 50 or below, you have to trade several somethings, or make them with alternate ingredients like almond flour.

Meanwhile, if you're restricting carbs to 200 a day, you can't eat 4 slices of bread, 6 ounces of rice, and 4 ounces of pasta all in the same day, so which food are you going to restrict? If you want dessert after dinner, which food are you going to choose to not eat to make room for it?

you did not mention donuts, the other poster did.

That is a pretty neat trick that you did trying to say "trade" instead of "restrict"...

I don't restrict carbs. If I eat 200 and I am in my calorie target then I am fine. If I eat 170 and am in my calorie target then I am fine. Either way it has no bearing on me.

Yes, If I am in a calorie deficit, I restrict food, we all do. Not sure what your point is. My point is that I don't restrict certain groups of foods and I do not view them as "bad".

Look, just admit that you restrict carbs, it is OK.

and IIFYM and Low Carb are not the same thing.

How many days a week to you eat 300g of carbs?

I have no idea, I would have to check my diary. I am guessing I am averaging about 200 a day ...but what does it matter if I eat 300 in a day or not? I fail to see your point.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I don't see where I mentioned donuts either, but that doesn't seem to stop you. If you are restricting carbs to 100, you can have pasta, rice, etc. If you are restricting carbs to 75, you can have them, but you'll have to trade something else to make them fit your macros. If you're restricting to 50 or below, you have to trade several somethings, or make them with alternate ingredients like almond flour.

Meanwhile, if you're restricting carbs to 200 a day, you can't eat 4 slices of bread, 6 ounces of rice, and 4 ounces of pasta all in the same day, so which food are you going to restrict? If you want dessert after dinner, which food are you going to choose to not eat to make room for it?

That is a pretty neat trick that you did trying to say "trade" instead of "restrict"...

I don't restrict carbs. If I eat 200 and I am in my calorie target then I am fine. If I eat 170 and am in my calorie target then I am fine. Either way it has no bearing on me.

Yes, If I am in a calorie deficit, I restrict food, we all do. Not sure what your point is. My point is that I don't restrict certain groups of foods and I do not view them as "bad".

I have no idea, I would have to check my diary. I am guessing I am averaging about 200 a day ...but what does it matter if I eat 300 in a day or not? I fail to see your point.

Because every day you eat 200 instead of 300 you're restricting 100g of carbs. You can keep dancing all around it all you want. All of your macros (and that's a generic your) are restrictions, whether it's 200 carbs or 50 fat or 120 protein, it's an upper limit you are setting to not exceed. Any of those numbers being lower than someone else's is you restricting that macro more than the other person.

And FYI, the IIFYM calculator has a keto option built right into it. It's not some gangland turf war like you want to make it out to be.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Nice to know you all have nothing better to do than stalk our group.

Almost as nice as you guys claiming you get attacked over here then spend pages and pages trash talking members of MFP over and over. As well as starting campaigns to get certain members banned from the forums while calling people childish at the same time.

So let's go ahead and say the people reading an open group is the bad part. Right?

Don't you guys think certain members text message each other to tell each other to gang up on you? How is it as soon as your group started getting spoken about you showed up here?

That's complete nonsense. You are slipping. We have zero threads on the front page about the main forum. We had one yesterday that has been bumped down. I hardly call that "plastered all over." It had been awhile since we had one. We do have better things to talk about. But I don't read every single thread. We have 10000 members and I'm one of 3 mods.

It's actually purely coincidence I showed up on this thread today. You probably don't notice that I'm not around here much so I don't expect you to believe me. I was bored today. Periodically I pop over here to see if there are any low-carb threads that people might read who might be interested in joining the low-carb group.

I'm not going to lie and say that some members don't talk about the forum or lie and say that it hasn't happened that there was talk about a current thread and that people don't come look at the train wreck. I try to discourage that, but as long as they aren't openly organizing nefarious *kitten* it isn't my business.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @jpw1990 I think you struck a nerve on this one
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I prefer "high protein on a caloric deficit" than "low carb", though they can end up being the same thing sometimes. I get cranky and don't have the energy to workout as hard if I don't get at least 100 grams of complex carbs a day. Don't know how you atkins/nocarb people do it.

Once you're keto-adapted, working out is no issue. Your body is burning fat for energy, rather than carbs. I'm not no-carb, as that is impossible, but I try to keep my carbs under 30 grams, 20 if I can help it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Because every day you eat 200 instead of 300 you're restricting 100g of carbs. You can keep dancing all around it all you want. All of your macros (and that's a generic your) are restrictions, whether it's 200 carbs or 50 fat or 120 protein, it's an upper limit you are setting to not exceed. Any of those numbers being lower than someone else's is you restricting that macro more than the other person.

And FYI, the IIFYM calculator has a keto option built right into it. It's not some gangland turf war like you want to make it out to be.

yea, I am restricting foods when I am in a calorie deficit.

My point is I don't really care about my carb intake, hence, it has no bearing on my day.

Where as you and your crew do restrict carbs because in order to be low carb you have to have your carbs at a certain gram per day. Or are you saying you don't do that?

Now you are just arguing semantics.

Technically, everyone is restricting something because there is a certain point were even a 500 pound man stops eating too. So does that mean they are IIFYM too?

I am not making anything into a turf war. If anything you and your LC group are doing that, as you all came flying in here to defend a thread about nothing. I find it amusing.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options

My point is I don't really care about my carb intake, hence, it has no bearing on my day.

Where as you and your crew do restrict carbs because in order to be low carb you have to have your carbs at a certain gram per day. Or are you saying you don't do that?

Technically, everyone is restricting something because there is a certain point were even a 500 pound man stops eating too. So does that mean they are IIFYM too?

I am not making anything into a turf war. If anything you and your LC group are doing that, as you all came flying in here to defend a thread about nothing. I find it amusing.

Let me check...NOPE. Still zero threads about the big forum active on the group. There are about 3 members of a over 10000-member group posting in here right now. 3 is not ALL. You guys can continue to argue and exaggerate over nonsense. I'm going to go workout outdoors before it f*cking rains again. Enjoy.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I see we finally agree on something.

Also, LMAO at the idea I have a "crew". I post answering questions for people, and I post correcting gross misinformation when people insist their n=1 is fact. If other people agree with me or not, I really don't care. And if you've been devoting so much time and energy to stalking my post history, you know damn well I'll have it out with someone preaching bad LC info as soon as someone whining about how "it's not sustainable long term" just because they screwed it up when they tried it.

You don't like having a bad reputation with LC people, maybe consider not following them around?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I know that a few of us low carbers come in to low carb threads to offer advice and point them in the direction of the low carb group. So that is likely why the few that are in here clicked on it. Aren't you in here also?

But it is true, we just have different macros set than a standard diet. Why does that bring such hatred. I don't think most of us think those who don't eat low carb eat donuts all day. There may be some people in the world that do but unlikely anyone on MFP who is trying to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle.

I also don't think most of us are delusional about why we are losing weight when we eat low carb. There's no magic to it, it provides a way to naturally feel full and makes me personally feel a lot better due to health issues. Making it easier for me to lose weight as I have more energy to be more active.

It's rather insulting though to be referred to as a "groupie" , yes we belong to the low carb group as a resource to bounce around ideas and get questions answered, but we don't all think the same or have the same skewed views on other peoples diets or even the same views on low carb.

• auntstephie321
    Options
    I know that a few of us low carbers come in to low carb threads to offer advice and point them in the direction of the low carb group. So that is likely why the few that are in here clicked on it. Aren't you in here also?

But it is true, we just have different macros set than a standard diet. Why does that bring such hatred. I don't think most of us think those who don't eat low carb eat donuts all day. There may be some people in the world that do but unlikely anyone on MFP who is trying to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle.

I also don't think most of us are delusional about why we are losing weight when we eat low carb. There's no magic to it, it provides a way to naturally feel full and makes me personally feel a lot better due to health issues. Making it easier for me to lose weight as I have more energy to be more active.

It's rather insulting though to be referred to as a "groupie" , yes we belong to the low carb group as a resource to bounce around ideas and get questions answered, but we don't all think the same or have the same skewed views on other peoples diets or even the same views on low carb.

Note that I'm not specifically talking about outside of MFP, I clearly stated it is said that over on this side of the forum IIFYM is equated with us eating "crap all day" which has been said many times. So just like there Low Carb people that think that just because someone says they follow an IIFYM way of eating they assume they ignore nutrition, are hungry all the time, they eat donuts all day and just want to show off abs there are people that assume someone eating low carb isn't sustainable or its done for pure "this is the best for weight loss purposes", both groups have people in it that are wrong. To paint an entire group as it being that everyone does things for the same reason is false. As I personally have said a bunch of times, if you actually took the group of people that follow nutrition properly but take different approaches you will see that they way we eat isn't miles apart but people would rather focus on individual cases where people don't understand how things work, take what they say and run with it

Agreed
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Nice to know you all have nothing better to do than stalk our group.

Almost as nice as you guys claiming you get attacked over here then spend pages and pages trash talking members of MFP over and over. As well as starting campaigns to get certain members banned from the forums while calling people childish at the same time.

So let's go ahead and say the people reading an open group is the bad part. Right?

Don't you guys think certain members text message each other to tell each other to gang up on you? How is it as soon as your group started getting spoken about you showed up here?

Why do you hate accepting the fact that the people that say they follow IIFYM don't eat donuts all day, actually pay attention to nutritional needs, are hungry all day and aren't sugar addicts?

It's based on a statement they like to make that we don't realize that in reality IIFYM is pretty much LC but we don't see that.

You seem to have me confused with one of your groupies.

So now that we have established that it is something you guys say over in your group how about providing an answer without deflecting?

Why do you hate accepting the fact that the people that say they follow IIFYM don't eat donuts all day, actually pay attention to nutritional needs, are hungry all day and aren't sugar addicts?

Deflecting what? I've never said they eat donuts all day. I'm sorry your strawman has adequacy issues, but that's not my problem.

Right, you've never made statements like that in your group. I guess I'm the only one that can see it.

Agree.....went over to the group and read some of the threads wow just wow!! Talk about hatred.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that we are getting into personalities here. Is that what all threads with no subject devolve into? lol

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3530364/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19480693

Here are a few studies which talk about the links to blood sugar and cancer or the therapeutic benefit of a very low carb diet on existing cancers. I know there are a lot of conflicting studies about these benefits, however big pharmacy, mass food producers and the FDA have a lot of money to spend on studies to discredit research they don't want heard.

I'll be happy to state that I deliberately set my carb macro low. There are a lot of health benefits to that. An additional benefit is that, once most people adapt to a low carb state they are much more compliant to their calorie goals.

There are a lot of benefits for performance athletes to a low carb way of eating also. There are some good studies on that also if anyone is interested.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    It's a shame that we are getting into personalities here. Is that what all threads with no subject devolve into? lol

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3530364/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19480693

Here are a few studies which talk about the links to blood sugar and cancer or the therapeutic benefit of a very low carb diet on existing cancers. I know there are a lot of conflicting studies about these benefits, however big pharmacy, mass food producers and the FDA have a lot of money to spend on studies to discredit research they don't want heard.

I'll be happy to state that I deliberately set my carb macro low. There are a lot of health benefits to that. An additional benefit is that, once most people adapt to a low carb state they are much more compliant to their calorie goals.

There are a lot of benefits for performance athletes to a low carb way of eating also. There are some good studies on that also if anyone is interested.

It is!

This is the most messed up forum I know of!

At work I showed some of the Cross Fit guys a few posts and they just laughed!

And no, I'm not a cross fit guy. That is some hard core craziness!

I have read how bread and grain industries may have helped make their food a staple as a marketing device

Maybe some truth?

Look back at tobacco companies had Doctors advocating smoking!!

But yes the moderate carb and slightly higher fat diet with the fat from MCT sources looks interesting.

But my issue is I like the full feeling from fibrous carbs in vegetables. Sugar no...

I can enjoy a low carb tortilla with black beans and shredded chicken breast and a good hot pepper sauce

That is adding into 30 carbs. And it is filling and has a good blend of nutrients and dietary fiber.

In your experience personally, how effective is 60-80 carbs a day in a pretty active exercise life at seeing those lower carb lifestyle benefits?

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I can, and do, eat pasta, rice, and potatoes, etc. you can't eat those things when you are keto (but that's not simply LC), and many LC plans have people do a short term "induction" phase where you can't eat those foods. However, you do gradually add back carbs as you approach maintenance and, depending on your personal tolerance level, you may very well be able to have small portions of starchy carbs now and then. You are restricting carbs, much the same way someone might restrict calories; how many carbs (or calories) you have to "spend" and what you choose to spend them on, is still up to you!

interesting, considering you have potatoes listed once in the past seven days in your diary and none of these other foods that you say you eat.

I ate rice with dinner today (haven't finished out the day's entry yet). Yesterday I had a double burger at Wendy's and (gasp) ate the bun (omg! alert the LC police), This past weekend I ate pizza (including the crust) and homemade mac and cheese (there's your pasta, hon).... Only went over my carb goals once -my youngest daughter's b-day when I had pizza and chocolate cake. Oh, wait, my bad - I was STILL under by 2 g. Low carb is not no carb. Now, on my daughter's b-day I had to eat VLC breakfast and a VLC lunch to make "room" for the pizza and cake that I knew was coming, but that's the point - I wouldn't do that every day because I wouldn't be able to fill my micros that way. Once in a while? Sure. But as a general rule I'd rather have more veggies and more fruit than that.

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the forums make me think of high school. This is why we can't have nice things....
This discussion has been closed.