Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Hello all! i'm at 23% BF, down from 29% after losing 50 pounds, i'm 6'0" and 215....i don't want to lose the muscle i've gotten during the three months of strength training. Sure, i'd love to lose more body fat....but i could care less about the scale and my weight hasn't changed much in the last 40 days or so. if my goal is to get below 20%, should i just keep doing what i'm doing or do i have to go into a cut phase? Thank you!

If you add roughly 6.5lbs of muscle you will get below 20% at your current weight.

But there's no reason to assume you will automatically lose muscle if you lose weight if you lose slowly, with a good level of protein and good resistance training, especially as you seem to be new or returning to strength training.

A "cut" doesn't have to be a full on diet with rapid weight loss.

• Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    edited April 2019
    alexmose wrote: »
    I am 5’4’’ 114 lb female and at 19-20% bodyfat. I have a Dexa scale I use all the time. My qieeion is, how long did it take u all to drop body fat? I have been the same % for FOUR months. I track all my food with a food scale and lift heavy. Wondering if anyone else is stalled. I follow the Mucle Building Routine (it was it program). I have been lifting for over a year, about 15 months. Cardio 6-7 days/week for calorie burn.

I've been the same percentage give or take since late November but my weight has increased a good 5 pounds. At this point, any improvement is at a snail's pace. When I began it was rapid but I was probably 22+ percent body fat which is high for a male.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    @alexmose so your goal is to lose body fat? You're already at the low end of things so you're going to find it really difficult to lose more. Your body needs fat to operate optimally and if you go too low you'll start feeling bad. Tired all the time, intense hunger cravings, insomnia, etc. 20% is probably not quite that level, but for a woman 14%-20% is considered elite athlete level so you're close.

If your goal is to build muscle then you probably want to do as @sardelsa suggests and go into a bit of a calorie surplus and use a structured weight lifting program to gain muscle mass. Probably a good idea to cut out some of that cardio as well. 6-7 days of cardio, depending on how intense it is, will make it hard for your body to have enough recovery time to be able to build muscle.

Thanks for this advice, both! I am in a very unfortunate situation where I need to get a bridesmaid’s dress fitted for a June 1 wedding this month and then by that point it’s summer. So I guess I’ll just think about maintaining til the wedding. Should I cut during the summer, accept the muscle loss, and then bulk in the fall? Or should I just maintain through and go right to the bulk? Goal is to lower body fat percentage and gain some muscle, esp in upper body. I carry my fat in my tummy and would like that to go away :) thanks in advance!
  • alexmose
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    I am 5’4’’ 114 lb female and at 19-20% bodyfat. I have a Dexa scale I use all the time. My qieeion is, how long did it take u all to drop body fat? I have been the same % for FOUR months. I track all my food with a food scale and lift heavy. Wondering if anyone else is stalled. I follow the Mucle Building Routine (it was it program). I have been lifting for over a year, about 15 months. Cardio 6-7 days/week for calorie burn.

I've been the same percentage give or take since late November but my weight has increased a good 5 pounds. At this point, any improvement is at a snail's pace. When I began it was rapid but I was probably 22+ percent body fat which is high for a male.

Is this a result of the bulk? Are you still 22%?
  • alexmose
    sardelsa wrote: »

The thing is because you are already very lean being at the lower end of the BMI your progress might be slow to seemingly non-existent. I've been there, ultra lean trying to recomp, although I didn't stay with it as long as you did. At the end of the day if you have been recomping for over a year with little progress, and aren't happy with the direction you are going, I would start to think about changing things. It could be your workout program, I am not familiar with it but make sure it has adequate muscle stimulation and you are progressing over time. Also perhaps running a very small surplus for a while to gain weight then return to recomp or do a small cut.

Thank you for advice! In addition to my other post, I guess I’ll stop w the small deficit I had been running. No point if I don’t see the progress, right? So maintence I guess for me.
  • alexmose

@alexmose so your goal is to lose body fat? You're already at the low end of things so you're going to find it really difficult to lose more. Your body needs fat to operate optimally and if you go too low you'll start feeling bad. Tired all the time, intense hunger cravings, insomnia, etc. 20% is probably not quite that level, but for a woman 14%-20% is considered elite athlete level so you're close.

If your goal is to build muscle then you probably want to do as @sardelsa suggests and go into a bit of a calorie surplus and use a structured weight lifting program to gain muscle mass. Probably a good idea to cut out some of that cardio as well. 6-7 days of cardio, depending on how intense it is, will make it hard for your body to have enough recovery time to be able to build muscle.

Thanks for this advice, both! I am in a very unfortunate situation where I need to get a bridesmaid’s dress fitted for a June 1 wedding this month and then by that point it’s summer. So I guess I’ll just think about maintaining til the wedding. Should I cut during the summer, accept the muscle loss, and then bulk in the fall? Or should I just maintain through and go right to the bulk? Goal is to lower body fat percentage and gain some muscle, esp in upper body. I carry my fat in my tummy and would like that to go away :) thanks in advance!

Sorry edit I’m only 5’3’’. I know it’s just an inch but it’s a lot on small women like me!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

If you take a reasonable deficit this bolded doesn't have to happen.

Do whatever fits with your schedule. Maintain and recomp now until wedding.

Do as much cardio as you need to eat at a level you can sustain, though you aren't as short as other women I've seen do a lot so they can eat more than bird level.
  • alexmose
    heybales wrote: »

If you take a reasonable deficit this bolded doesn't have to happen.

Do whatever fits with your schedule. Maintain and recomp now until wedding.

Do as much cardio as you need to eat at a level you can sustain, though you aren't as short as other women I've seen do a lot so they can eat more than bird level.

Thanks! Yep I like to eat a lot of food hence all the cardio
  • Dvdgzz

Sorry, I was 22%(guesstimate) last April. I am closer to 13% or so now at the same body weight. I just haven't gotten leaner since November but appear leaner on some body parts because of the muscle increase. My calves, for instance, have gotten bigger because of the increased frequency and even have some veins now.

• alexmose

Sorry, I was 22%(guesstimate) last April. I am closer to 13% or so now at the same body weight. I just haven't gotten leaner since November but appear leaner on some body parts because of the muscle increase. My calves, for instance, have gotten bigger because of the increased frequency and even have some veins now.

So you ate more or less?
  • Dvdgzz

So you ate more or less?

My calories have remained at a 3800 calorie average for several months. So the same.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hey everyone. Still sticking to recomping and took previous advice to track progress via pictures. so far going good. I'm 5'2, 150lb, 32% body fat(last I checked about 3 weeks ago). HIIT cardio 2x week and weight lifting 3x week. Feel free to let me know if that sounds like a good schedule. My question is has anyone ever tried doing a cut for a week or two and then going back to a recomp or is that counter productive?

Side note: what is the best thing to use to measure body fat? My gym has one of those devices where you hold it out in front of you after putting your age/weight. I use that right now
  • sijomial
    @digidoomed

"Hey everyone. Still sticking to recomping and took previous advice to track progress via pictures. so far going good. I'm 5'2, 150lb, 32% body fat(last I checked about 3 weeks ago). HIIT cardio 2x week and weight lifting 3x week. Feel free to let me know if that sounds like a good schedule."
    If that is real HIIT and not just plain old cardio with intervals then no it's not a good schedule. HIIT and weight training both require recovery and that will interfere with your next training session.
    (e.g. HIIT = short periods of your absolute maximal effort with recovery periods.)

"My question is has anyone ever tried doing a cut for a week or two and then going back to a recomp or is that counter productive? "
    Doesn't matter.
    If you want to lose fat / lose weight then it's a good option. You probably don't want to cut hard though.

"Side note: what is the best thing to use to measure body fat? My gym has one of those devices where you hold it out in front of you after putting your age/weight. I use that right now."
    Post mortem dissection. ;)
    No a two sensor BIA device, especially used in a gym, is not a good way to estimate bodyfat. That would be an inaccurate device used under variable conditions which then badly affects the reading primarily due to changes in hydration.
    Tape measurements and progress pictures are free. As is comparing yourself to sample BF% pictures online.
    If you have access to DEXA or hydrostatic testing they can be OK - but that's not universal and they cost money.
    Does it actually matter to have a number would be the first question to ask yourself.
  • digidoomed
    edited April 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    @digidoomed

"Hey everyone. Still sticking to recomping and took previous advice to track progress via pictures. so far going good. I'm 5'2, 150lb, 32% body fat(last I checked about 3 weeks ago). HIIT cardio 2x week and weight lifting 3x week. Feel free to let me know if that sounds like a good schedule."
    If that is real HIIT and not just plain old cardio with intervals then no it's not a good schedule. HIIT and weight training both require recovery and that will interfere with your next training session.
    (e.g. HIIT = short periods of your absolute maximal effort with recovery periods.)

"My question is has anyone ever tried doing a cut for a week or two and then going back to a recomp or is that counter productive? "
    Doesn't matter.
    If you want to lose fat / lose weight then it's a good option. You probably don't want to cut hard though.

"Side note: what is the best thing to use to measure body fat? My gym has one of those devices where you hold it out in front of you after putting your age/weight. I use that right now."
    No a two sensor BIA device, especially used in a gym, is not a good way to estimate bodyfat. That would be an inaccurate device used under variable conditions which then badly affects the reading primarily due to changes in hydration.
    Tape measurements and progress pictures are free. As is comparing yourself to sample BF% pictures online.
    If you have access to DEXA or hydrostatic testing they can be OK - but that's not universal and they cost money.
    Does it actually matter to have a number would be the first question to ask yourself.

Man, you are great at this stuff lol. For the HIIT, are you saying I should do it 1x week or space it more? As reference, I usually do HIIT on Monday/Saturday and weights T/TH/F (i take Wednesday as a rest day). Just trying to figure out what is best and I appreciate the reply.

SB: Just to be humble, I do give the most effort I can during my HIIT, but I know I can probably do more as I continue.
  • sijomial
    digidoomed wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    @digidoomed

Doesn't matter.

Man, you are great at this stuff lol. For the HIIT, are you saying I should do it 1x week or space it more? As reference, I usually do HIIT on Monday/Saturday and weights T/TH/F (i take Wednesday as a rest day). Just trying to figure out what is best and I appreciate the reply.

SB: Just to be humble, I do give the most effort I can during my HIIT, but I know I can probably do more as I continue.

I'm actually saying that HIIT isn't a great idea at all if weight training is your priority. What are you actually doing and why would be helpful to know. There's zero need for the vast majority of the population ever to do (true) HIIT even if you have fairly advanced cardio goals.
    The caveat is that as the term HIIT is misused about 95% of the time (stat from the Office of Made Up Statistics ;) ) in the last few years as it's become fashionable in the fitness industry to attach it to everything from circuit training to calisthenics to cardio intervals.

e.g. I do a huge volume of cycling, includes some high intensity / high stress training and rides. I never do what I would regard as a true HIIT protocol as it's a poor match for my goals and fitness level.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Hey everyone. Still sticking to recomping and took previous advice to track progress via pictures. so far going good. I'm 5'2, 150lb, 32% body fat(last I checked about 3 weeks ago). HIIT cardio 2x week and weight lifting 3x week. Feel free to let me know if that sounds like a good schedule. My question is has anyone ever tried doing a cut for a week or two and then going back to a recomp or is that counter productive?

Side note: what is the best thing to use to measure body fat? My gym has one of those devices where you hold it out in front of you after putting your age/weight. I use that right now

What is your reason for recomp vs. weight loss at this point? Are you a bodybuilder with significant muscle mass and prefer not to cut down? I just ask because with your stats you might be better off cutting, then when you reach a healthy BMI go back to recomp. You will likely see more significant progress that way.
  • digidoomed
    edited April 2019

What is your reason for recomp vs. weight loss at this point? Are you a bodybuilder with significant muscle mass and prefer not to cut down? I just ask because with your stats you might be better off cutting, then when you reach a healthy BMI go back to recomp. You will likely see more significant progress that way.

I started recomp because I liked that you could lose fat and get muscle at the same time. I've been able to increase my weights on certain lifts while doing it. Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but can I still cut and keep the strength I have now? I was thinking about it before just so I could try to get my body fat down lower but I wasn't sure how I would have to change my workouts if I was cutting since I wouldn't be eating as much to fuel the workout. Still learning here lol.

Also, if I was to go to a traditional cut, MPF suggest 1200 cal daily. I just feel that is so different from the 1800 I've been eating for maintenance. Since I workout 5x week, should I be adding my exercise calories to that? So something like 14/1500?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

I started recomp because I liked that you could lose fat and get muscle at the same time. I've been able to increase my weights on certain lifts while doing it. Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but can I still cut and keep the strength I have now? I was thinking about it before just so I could try to get my body fat down lower but I wasn't sure how I would have to change my workouts if I was cutting since I wouldn't be eating as much to fuel the workout. Still learning here lol.

Typically recomp is done when you are already at a healthy weight but not happy with your body composition and bodyfat levels. Or if you don't want to lose more weight but want to get in shape or gain strength. It will be really difficult to lower your bodyfat significantly if you start off overweight, more recommended to run a deficit first.

Many people can retain strength or even increase it when cutting. Some people cut down on volume but it really depends on your programming. Based on your stats I would say your main priority would be to eat in a deficit, continue to lift and get to a healthy BMI. You don't have to have a really steep deficit either. 0.5-1lb loss per week is fine.
  • digidoomed

Also, if I was to go to a traditional cut, MPF suggest 1200 cal daily. I just feel that is so different from the 1800 I've been eating for maintenance. Since I workout 5x week, should I be adding my exercise calories to that? So something like 14/1500?

• digidoomed

Typically recomp is done when you are already at a healthy weight but not happy with your body composition and bodyfat levels. Or if you don't want to lose more weight but want to get in shape or gain strength. It will be really difficult to lower your bodyfat significantly if you start off overweight, more recommended to run a deficit first.

Many people can retain strength or even increase it when cutting. Some people cut down on volume but it really depends on your programming. Based on your stats I would say your main priority would be to eat in a deficit, continue to lift and get to a healthy BMI. You don't have to have a really steep deficit either. 0.5-1lb loss per week is fine.

Thank you. I might just do that and come back to recomp once I'm low enough. Also thanks for the quick reply. I had added a side note from my post but I think it was after you replied. Could you please help me with this question?
    "Also, if I was to go to a traditional cut, MPF suggest 1200 cal daily. I just feel that is so different from the 1800 I've been eating for maintenance. Since I workout 5x week, should I be adding my exercise calories to that? So something like 14/1500?"