Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

1108109110111112114»

Replies

• Cassandraw3Cassandraw3 Posts: 938Member, Premium Member Posts: 938Member, Premium Member
    kingers0 wrote: »
    So I recently hit my goal weight and am looking to now tone and get stronger. Where do I start. Obviously I’m working with maintenance calories but what type of workout plan? I do a lot of cardio (running/Jazzercize/Barre...) Most of my classes involve weights but I don’t think enough to get the results I’m looking for.

Also, I’m wondering what a realistic goal is for me? Can this flab turn into muscle? Lol

If you are new to training, you should be able to see some pretty good progress. Make sure you follow a structured program. Going to the gym doing random movements may show some results, but they will be minimal. The below post is a good starting point to find a structured program for best results.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sijomialsijomial Posts: 14,764Member Member Posts: 14,764Member Member
    @kingers0

You had some good simple advice from @sardelsa @Cassandraw3 and @Dvdgzz
    (Also some poor and complex advice but let's gloss over that...)

Keep it simple, be clear about your goals, track your progress (pictures, strength increases, tape measurements), train well and train hard, be patient, enjoy the process as well as the results
  • raficdafer2000raficdafer2000 Posts: 11Member Member Posts: 11Member Member
    This thread helps a lot but I have a question in terms of lifting. When recomping, is it better to do high reps low weight till burn out or heavy weight low reps?
  • heybalesheybales Posts: 16,656Member Member Posts: 16,656Member Member
    This thread helps a lot but I have a question in terms of lifting. When recomping, is it better to do high reps low weight till burn out or heavy weight low reps?

Doesn't matter as much as it was thought before.

You can gain muscle any where in traditional range.

You merely have to present a reason to grow more.
  • DvdgzzDvdgzz Posts: 419Member Member Posts: 419Member Member

Depends on your goals. If they are strength centered, you want to keep going heavy so that you don't lose it. Pretty much, keep doing what you're doing. Just like @heybales said, as far as keeping muscle mass, it shouldn't matter, just keep pushing yourself.
  • jeffrey_adjeffrey_ad Posts: 228Member, Premium Member Posts: 228Member, Premium Member
    eaz6c3qcpq4d.jpeg
    I am starting to work on recomp.
    Stats:
    Height: 5’10’
    CW: 173.6
    SW: 216
    %BF ~20
    I am doing StrongLifts 5x5 and am on week 7.
    I’ve decided to try cycling calories at maintenance on lift days and 200 deficit on off days. Right now this is 2100/1900. I do a fair amount of cardio (Zumba, running and HIIT) but am cutting that a bit.
  • heybalesheybales Posts: 16,656Member Member Posts: 16,656Member Member
    @jeffrey_ad

Not sure how you are cycling - just plan on fact the recovery from a good workout like that is 24-48 hrs after.
    So actually cutting calories the next day is not the best bet when body can have the most use of it for repair/recovery.

Usually a minor deficit won't hurt in the time before a workout if meal timing is right to get a good workout in.

If this is morning workout - perhaps not that bad. If evening, keep that recovery window in mind.
    Our midnight of logging calories for a day isn't related to the cycles of the body.

Good plan and an update in the future will be great encouragement for people too.
    edited June 13
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 1,818Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,818Member, Premium Member
    @jeffrey_ad, I think you're doing great and StrongLifts will definitely inch you along the path of progress.

We have amazingly close stats with starting weight, current weight and height. I just had my body fat measured yesterday with a DXA scan and it's slightly lower than yours. I'm a decade plus older than you at age 64.

I do lots of running too as my primary goals are cardiovascular conditioning and strength endurance. I believe LISS cardio would serve you well in your recomp journey, such as good old-fashioned brisk walking for 30 to 60 minutes. Problem with walking is it's time-consuming.

Wishing you the best, keep marching forward.