Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I remember first reading this thread over a year ago and wanting to try a recomp. I overthought it like crazy. Then I gave up and went the cut and bulk route.

Now it seems so simple. Eat at maintenance. Train hard. Even better if you have fitness goals-and the physique will follow. Now recomp is all I do...it's called eating TDEE and picking things up/putting them down.

I agree and am puzzled why so many people think it is "hard". I am so thankful to have found this thread. I love eating TDEE also. I don't "eat back" calories because I figure in exercise as simply part of my daily energy expenditure. My body shape was getting weird (for me), and I was beginning to think an expanding waistline was inevitable. Plus people think that this is some kind of long, drawn out process. I've seen appreciable changes in a few months. I've lost the emerging muffin top and tummy roll. I am ecstatic because I'm back in tank tops and body conscious dresses. Whoot!

It would depend on their goals and if there are associated time frames. Recomping for many just takes longer than they are willing to deal with. Others find it beneficial.

No worries. I'm speaking for myself only.
  • DebSozo
    I tend to see results quicker than average, I suppose.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

In the words of a wise man " you are not a special snowflake".
  • DebSozo

In the words of a wise man " you are not a special snowflake".

Thanks! That means others can do it too!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Not suggesting they won't see improvement, even in a short period of time. Many of us have seen improved looks and aesthetic in short periods but it depends how much change is required to hit their goal. For someone who has a good amount of weight to lose, recomp isn't an effective plan. But someone who is more lean, this could be a very good plan.

Other considerations are dietary knowledge and training.
  • DebSozo

Not suggesting they won't see improvement, even in a short period of time. Many of us have seen improved looks and aesthetic in short periods but it depends how much change is required to hit their goal. For someone who has a good amount of weight to lose, recomp isn't an effective plan. But someone who is more lean, this could be a very good plan.

I agree that it is not a "get fit quick" plan. One needs to be able to be patient. People who are competing or need shorter deadlines might not be too thrilled. But I don't like to gain weight and was stalled, so I figured that doing recomp would work in my life for now. I am so excited about the changes because I didn't really expect it, plus it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. People on MFP seem to try to discourage others from trying recomp because of time restraints. I like taking things slowly and then maintaining the fitness level, so it is a good fit for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

I agree that it is not a "get fit quick" plan. One needs to be able to be patient. People who are competing or need shorter deadlines might not be too thrilled. But I don't like to gain weight and was stalled, so I figured that doing recomp would work in my life for now. I am so excited about the changes because I didn't really expect it, plus it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. People on MFP seem to try to discourage others from trying recomp because of time restraints. I like taking things slowly and then maintaining the fitness level, so it is a good fit for me.

Glad its' working for you. I would only discourage the plan if it doesn't align to their goals (short and/or long) and time frames.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I remember first reading this thread over a year ago and wanting to try a recomp. I overthought it like crazy. Then I gave up and went the cut and bulk route.

Now it seems so simple. Eat at maintenance. Train hard. Even better if you have fitness goals-and the physique will follow. Now recomp is all I do...it's called eating TDEE and picking things up/putting them down.

Yah I kept overthinking it too. Now I am bulking. Just because it is in line with my goals at the moment. Oh well maybe next year I will give recomp a real try.

You're lucky to be lean enough to bulk! I'll never be there again, that's why I'll either be cutting or maintaining for life...
  • DebSozo
    Yes.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Yah I kept overthinking it too. Now I am bulking. Just because it is in line with my goals at the moment. Oh well maybe next year I will give recomp a real try.

You're lucky to be lean enough to bulk! I'll never be there again, that's why I'll either be cutting or maintaining for life...

Yea I got too lean to recomp. Ahh well I'm sure if you wanted to bulk again you could. Getting lean the first time is hardest I find.
    And look and what you are doing.. holy your profile pic gets my heart pumping just looking at it!!
  • DebSozo
    ^both of your profile pics look amazing. I don't know if I can ever get lean enough to bulk either.
  • arditarose

Yea I got too lean to recomp. Ahh well I'm sure if you wanted to bulk again you could. Getting lean the first time is hardest I find.
    And look and what you are doing.. holy your profile pic gets my heart pumping just looking at it!!

Nah...I bulked and pretty much stayed fluffy :) I don't know how to cut anymore. I admire everyone who can!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Sgt1372, what I mean by skinny is looking like Vanna White (or Twiggy for that matter); that woman needs to put on about 8 - 10 lbs. I don't want to look like Twiggy! I have seen older (60+) women that are under weight and it doesn't look good and more than likely not healthy either.
  • arditarose
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Sgt1372, what I mean by skinny is looking like Vanna White (or Twiggy for that matter); that woman needs to put on about 8 - 10 lbs. I don't want to look like Twiggy! I have seen older (60+) women that are under weight and it doesn't look good and more than likely not healthy either.

I personally think Vanna White looks great. Maybe a better way to respond, instead of body shaming others, is to say that you personally prefer the look of a not so low body fat%, on yourself.
  • Nikkimaxim
    Nikkimaxim Posts: 221 Member
    I have been doing a recomp over a period of 2 years, starting from a fairly fit place... I'm several inches smaller now than when I started, and within 3 lbs of the same weight. I'm around 21% body fat as of 3 weeks ago. The image in the white bikini is the oldest, and the one in the blue and black is the most recent. I don't know what my body fat was when I started, but I'd guess around 26-27%, with a lot less lean mass. 7hkpov0qlyax.jpg
    densrsmiw24d.jpg

You look great. .sorry if this is old. .but what was your caloric intake during this time and what were you macros percentages (roughly)?
  • Nikkimaxim
    Hello, all. I'm 5'3" alt 124 pounds. I don't really care to lose that much more weight, only about 4-6 pounds. I would like to lose fat and gain muscle. .i would like a big booty. .haha..would recomp be beneficial for someone like me? What I'm getting is that it would be beneficial for me, but the process of losing fat and gaining a bum would take a lot longer than if i were to bulk/cut? Therefore, with bulking i would gain a bum faste but then have to deal with the whole cutting ordeal later
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Nikkimaxim wrote: »
    Hello, all. I'm 5'3" alt 124 pounds. I don't really care to lose that much more weight, only about 4-6 pounds. I would like to lose fat and gain muscle. .i would like a big booty. .haha..would recomp be beneficial for someone like me? What I'm getting is that it would be beneficial for me, but the process of losing fat and gaining a bum would take a lot longer than if i were to bulk/cut? Therefore, with bulking i would gain a bum faste but then have to deal with the whole cutting ordeal later
    @Nikkimaxim
    Same answer I gave in the Gaining weight forum but would point out that you choose bulk / cut cycles then you would probably be would be better off cutting then bulking then cutting again.
    So your comparison is tiny deficit and recomp versus cut/bulk/cut. If you need/want to add a lot of muscle then NEITHER option is fast.

The choice is yours and only you know what is most important to you.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    FYI, I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I just think that she is too skinny. If you look at old pics of the show you can tell she is smaller now than she was back in the 80s or 90s.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

You don't need to bulk or cut again, you are definitely at a place were recomp for life is going to serve you well!
  • Nikkimaxim
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nikkimaxim wrote: »
    @Nikkimaxim
    Same answer I gave in the Gaining weight forum but would point out that you choose bulk / cut cycles then you would probably be would be better off cutting then bulking then cutting again.
    So your comparison is tiny deficit and recomp versus cut/bulk/cut. If you need/want to add a lot of muscle then NEITHER option is fast.

The choice is yours and only you know what is most important to you.

So, a 10%deficit from tdee until I'm at the weight that I want and then recomp (eat at maintenance) to continue gaining muscle but losing fat?