What is your RED FOOD and how do you overcome the urge to eat it?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I find I get into trouble with Red Rum.

OMG, that would be a great brand name for rum infused with cinnamon or cayenne....gotta get on that...

Or a really horrible one. I imagine the bottle would be captioned: "All work and no play..."

Well and we obviously have a prime candidate for a celebrity spokesperson...

Estes Park Brewery, has a redrum ale. Apropos for the location!
    http://www.epbrewery.com/our-brands
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

OMG, that would be a great brand name for rum infused with cinnamon or cayenne....gotta get on that...

Or a really horrible one. I imagine the bottle would be captioned: "All work and no play..."

Man I was just in Colorado last week! We didn't make it to RMNP though.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Man I was just in Colorado last week! We didn't make it to RMNP though.

I hear it's great. A friend bought me a t-shirt!
    http://www.cafepress.com/mf/12703412/stanley-hotel-redrum_tshirt?shop=EPBrewery&productId=58940540
  • MartinGibbs
    MartinGibbs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Just picked my first dozen last night out of my garden :)

ETA: Strawberries, that is.

Don't forget Sriracha. It's a fruit, right?!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Woot! I'm headed up there this weekend if the weather's good. I wonder if the brewery has a tour...
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My red food is sugar free koolaid. But it doesn't make me gain weight. It etches the enamel off my teeth and gives me gas.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Individual foods do not cause weight gain, too much food does. Dark chocolate is carbs and fat. Color coding foods to imply their status as bad is silly.

cosign
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Red Food is something you absolutely know will make you gain weight.

My Red Food is Carbs. White bread, potatoes, white rice, noodles. Anything that would be considered a carb. I look at it and I gain weight, I stay away from it and I lose.

Since I started the South Beach Diet and went through the first phase which I think was a month I have very few desires for anything fatty, sweet and just plain crappy junk food.

I like dark chocolate and tolerate milk chocolate, can't stand soda anymore. Broasted chicken which I loved no desire to eat.
    I see food differently since I have done phase one. I had tried weight watchers and other similar diets but this one seems to have helped me the most.

so you eat no bread, vegetables, fruits, etc. Just fat and protein??????????????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    That's just ridiculous

Laughsss

You gain weight because you have been low carbing so as soon as you eat carbs you gain back the glycogen and associated water weight ...there's a reason people think low carbing is an amazing diet at the start ...it's water weight manipulation

Not knocking low carb if it's what works long term for you

But please understand that scale weight is made of water, body fat, LBM and waste in the body

Simple manipulation of the 10-15lbs you hold in water weight has nothing to do with fat loss

You can eat anything and lose weight if you stick to your defecit and if there's a food you can't stop eating then maybe that should be avoided...personally I don't get that lack of control any more and eat everything in moderation

why was this flagged???????????????

come on people...!
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. Your asking what foods trigger overrating/binge eating and how do we avoid them. Mine are potato chips and naniamo bars. Basically I have to drive by the store in order not to set myself off. What I have found is it's probably stress and not enough water if craving chips. And a super fatiguing week for the bars. I try to eat nuts and drink water on the way home and not let myself get too fatigued.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    do you know that a large chocolate shake from Dairy Queen is about 700+ calories....that blew me away when I read that....

why is that surprising?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Whats Broasted Chicken? Congrats on your success! Keep it up. Love pizza!!!!!!
    6w89jix7d87s.jpg
    PZ.jpg 39.6K
  • lisasweetlisa
    lisasweetlisa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Broasted chicken is like deep fried. A term used from were I live in WI. I truly appreciate all feedback and am loving the discussion. But like one said everyone has a trigger or "RED" food. I just find it interesting what people have and how they overcome it. Just a clarification I do NOT cut carbs out completely, I still have some but very rarely and small small small quantities. I'm not a saint who can stay away, but keeping my trigger foods "RED FOODS" down to a comfortable smidgen for ME is good and I don't crave them. And I know many items contain carbs. I was basically talking about white flour type items or like white potatoes. Which I had in the past tried the bake potato only diet. Loved it but it didn't love me. Love sweet corn, still must keep it to a smidgen. So, should I rephrase the question?

What is YOUR TRIGGER FOOD and how do you manage to contain yourself on NOT going overboard.

yes yes I know calories, but I live in the real world and when I have that food staring at me calories is NOT the first thing I think of.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Frozen pizzas and Doritos. I think it's my background as a gamer, but I cannot just eat one slice of a frozen pizza or one handfull of Doritos, unless I immediately put away the rest of the pizza / bag. Oddly, I control myself a lot better with an ordered pizza. Go figure, right? Anyway, when I start weight loss, my first rule is usually "NO DORITOS -- SERIOUSLY, PUT THE BAG DOWN, ALI, YOU KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN."

Also, I tip my hat to all the superior dieters here mocking the thread and those with food weaknesses. I wish that we, too, could be Adonises of moderation. Be careful not to fall off your pedestals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP my quoting is failing me today, but no, not everyone has a trigger food. I don't, and that's not me bragging or being up on a pedestal. I was overweight because I ate a little too much of everything, not because one food caused me to overeat/binge/lose control. I believe firmly in moderation and am always careful to say in these kinds of discussions that I don't have experience with binging, or even emotional eating. I just liked food, all kinds, and didn't exercise much. I gained weight over time and when I found MFP, I was able to lose the weight by learning how many calories were in certain types of food and balancing my diet to fit everything in.

I am sure that makes my experience different than yours and others who do struggle with moderation, but that's why I think it is so important to learn to moderate. Many of the people commenting here saying, "everything in moderation" did have to learn that skill, it takes practice and doesn't come easily to everyone. But I personally feel that the ones who have triggers, or suffer from binge eating, are the ones for whom it is most important to learn so you have the power over the food not the other way around.

And yes, I think the phrase "Red Foods" immediately set some people off because we see day in and day out posts on these forums saying, "sugar is evil" or "one must eat clean in order to lose weight". There is nothing inherently wrong with any food for ALL people and labeling foods as "red" or "bad", even if you just meant they are triggers for you, seems to imply that you think everyone should avoid them. I don't think that is what you're saying, but I think that's what a lot of people got out of your title and maybe some of your original post.

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @lisasweetlisa broasted chicken sounds amazing. I don't deprive myself of any trigger food. I keep to my tracking as best as possible. But when I have those days that the trigger food takes over I become more mindful of what I am doing and try to stop. Key is to think about it. Don't just eat to eat. You have to think about what your doing to yourself. Granted I can have a whole week of trigger foods and going off the deep end. The key is to get back to tracking and make the next 3 weeks your best. 1 week is no big deal. It can happen. Just do your best to move forward and hit a nice streak of logging accurately and get some exercise in as well. In the end you will be rewarded. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Broasted chicken is like deep fried. A term used from were I live in WI. I truly appreciate all feedback and am loving the discussion. But like one said everyone has a trigger or "RED" food. I just find it interesting what people have and how they overcome it. Just a clarification I do NOT cut carbs out completely, I still have some but very rarely and small small small quantities. I'm not a saint who can stay away, but keeping my trigger foods "RED FOODS" down to a comfortable smidgen for ME is good and I don't crave them. And I know many items contain carbs. I was basically talking about white flour type items or like white potatoes. Which I had in the past tried the bake potato only diet. Loved it but it didn't love me. Love sweet corn, still must keep it to a smidgen. So, should I rephrase the question?

What is YOUR TRIGGER FOOD and how do you manage to contain yourself on NOT going overboard.

yes yes I know calories, but I live in the real world and when I have that food staring at me calories is NOT the first thing I think of.

Just a word of advice, don't write in absolutes. Not everyone has a trigger food.

A lot of my weight gain can be contributed to drinking my calories. A lot of Mt. Dew and 600+ calorie coffee drinks to be exact. Add the fact that I wasn't paying attention to or caring about what I was eating in general and boom, 30 pound gain. I still enjoy those things just not as often as I used to. Having these items have never triggered a binge.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I do not have a trigger food. never ate a whole bag of chips, plate full of pasta, pan of brownies.
    I had to shrink my serving size. I would have some of everything then realized I needed to shrink my portion size.
    For me as I got older I moved less and didn't burn as many calories, but I did not adjust my intake.
    I have not cut out any food - just use moderation. oh and have started moving more. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have a trigger food either, and on the whole there are foods I can't eat as much of as I'd like, but none I want that I feel like I must avoid. (I also never much liked packaged snacks or fast food or the like, although I think those things can be fit into a good eating plan for those who do. I have other high calorie preferences, however.)

What I did have was a distorted idea about proper servings and how much food I needed to feel full (and once it was on my plate I'd eat it), a habit of overindulging myself at restaurants (and the fact they were mostly nicer restaurants or local ethnic places didn't make them less caloric), and a bad habit of emotional eating/eating to procrastinate. As I may have said above, for me it's much more about trigger times than foods--not eating throughout the day but only at meal times (including a dessert sometimes) is what works for me.