What is your RED FOOD and how do you overcome the urge to eat it?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    but no, not everyone has a trigger food. I don't, and that's not me bragging or being up on a pedestal.

I was deliberately not referencing a single post / poster in my comment, because it wasn't a single poster or post. More a tone spread out amongst several posts / posters. If you read back, there's more than a couple here that feel (to me, at least) like they're being snarky, basically saying "Jeez, fatties, just have a little willpower and you could eat anything like I do." It wasn't a welcome tone.

Some of us have trigger foods. We are aware, and we know the best course of action for our diets is avoidance. That's being responsible; that's a form of willpower. "No, I won't even buy that, because I know I'll overeat." Same willpower, different application.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    but no, not everyone has a trigger food. I don't, and that's not me bragging or being up on a pedestal.

I was deliberately not referencing a single post / poster in my comment, because it wasn't a single poster or post. More a tone spread out amongst several posts / posters. If you read back, there's more than a couple here that feel (to me, at least) like they're being snarky, basically saying "Jeez, fatties, just have a little willpower and you could eat anything like I do." It wasn't a welcome tone.

Some of us have trigger foods. We are aware, and we know the best course of action for our diets is avoidance. That's being responsible; that's a form of willpower. "No, I won't even buy that, because I know I'll overeat." Same willpower, different application.

OP said in the post before yours:
    everyone has a trigger or "RED" food.

What I read in many of the previous posts were people saying that they had struggled with binging, or trigger foods, or whatever, and it wasn't until they learned to moderate it that they were finally able to be successful.

In fact I thought the snarkiest post in the thread was this statement from you:

Also, I tip my hat to all the superior dieters here mocking the thread and those with food weaknesses. I wish that we, too, could be Adonises of moderation. Be careful not to fall off your pedestals.

Not one person in this thread said, "geez fatties have willpower and you can eat anything you like". If you read that, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

People respect those struggling to learn moderation since many have gone through it. What people don't respect is arbitrarily labeling foods as bad, particularly if the implication is that they are bad for everyone.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Just picked my first dozen last night out of my garden :)

ETA: Strawberries, that is.

You best be putting some of them on ice cream or gelato!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    The only red foods I have are the ones I binge on occasionally & I just take them out of my everyday eating until I can moderate them again.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What I read in many of the previous posts were people saying that they had struggled with binging, or trigger foods, or whatever, and it wasn't until they learned to moderate it that they were finally able to be successful.
    I suppose that's one of the flaws of online communications -- we lose a lot of the subtleties, like tone, and need to supply them ourselves. Two people can read the exact same thing and come away with two very different senses of the message.

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I struggle to stop myself at a reasonable portion of homemade lasagna. I have not made it in ages as a result. I seem to be ok with chocolate and puddings these days and work in a fair portion here and there. If I drink alcohol, I am more likely to overeat yummy things.

I think the root of the lasagna problem was competition with siblings and family. If you didn't scarf down the biggest portion you could manage during family dinner, you would lose out altogether. If you had a dainty portion and hoped for seconds - forget about it! Same goes for roast potatoes. It was every wo/man for themselves.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I suppose that's one of the flaws of online communications -- we lose a lot of the subtleties, like tone, and need to supply them ourselves. Two people can read the exact same thing and come away with two very different senses of the message.

Agreed.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Red M&Ms, Red skittles, tomatoes, apples (sometimes) , strawberries just to name a few

But do you eat the red ones last? Oh wait...