Coconut Oil?

Options

Replies

• mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's now sells it in a spray can for cooking. I've been using it and it doesn't make my eggs taste like coconut.

OMG SO going to Trader Joe's this weekend! Score!
    I use the solid stuff for cooking on the stove - and I really don't taste 'coconut' in the cooked food.
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use small amounts of it in my hair and also on my skin. As far as consuming, I add a small spoonful to my protein smoothies and also into my last drink of hot coffee. It melts quickly into my coffee; I barely taste it.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    After researching up on this "wonder oil" I decided to try it. So, I grabbed a spoon and took a "bite"... omg! its awful! So how do I overcome this?! suggestions?

You're supposed to cook and **** with it...not eat spoonfuls of it. Do you eat spoonfuls of butter or olive oil? I know people do eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, but it's just a stupid, weird trend that makes no sense. It's still ****ing fat...and I'm of the personal opinion that any fat that can remain solid at room temperature can't be exceedingly good for you. I eat the stuff sparingly...I use it often in lieu of butter...but I don't eat spoonfuls of it...that's just weird.

WOAH. Woah. Yes cooking and effing with it both good, good stuff.

Yes, coconut oil is a saturated fat. Great source of fats! But yes, not too tasty by the spoonfull. My ex used to put it in his coffee. I love baking with it. It is not magical but it's got antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral properties. I use it on small abrasions and I oil my piercings with it when they get angry. Enjoy! Coconut oil is amazing and there are much more tasty ways to ingest it!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's now sells it in a spray can for cooking. I've been using it and it doesn't make my eggs taste like coconut.

OMG SO going to Trader Joe's this weekend! Score!
    I use the solid stuff for cooking on the stove - and I really don't taste 'coconut' in the cooked food.

Note that there is a bit of soy oil in TJ's Coconut oil spray. I doubt it's enough to affect anything but if you're avoiding soy for any reason you should bear it in mind.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just thought of more uses
    If there is an outbreak of lice at your kids school rub some in there hair and it helps to kill lice and prevent it all together
    Feed it to your cat or dog to give them a healthy shinny coat. Dogs seams to enjoy it more, some cats too

Something I copied from a website To show benifits of eating it

Boosts metabolism & aids with weight loss.
    Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
    Improves heart health & reduces health risks associated with diabetes.
    Supports thyroid function.
    Supports immune system.
    It’s antifungal, antiviral & antibacterial.
    Promotes healing & tissue repair.
    Improves digestion & nutrient absorption.
    Enhances physical performance.
    Hydrates and protects the skin, improves skin tone and prevents wrinkles and skin aging.
    Reduces psoriasis, eczema symptoms.
    Improves hair and scalp condition.
    Functions as a protective antioxidant.
    It’s a quick energy source and controls sugar cravings.
    Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
    Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
    Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
    Reduces epileptic seizures.
    Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    I add mine to decaf coffee, but I don't use it often. Usually just butter in coffee. Yeah I weird...

Not weird at all... I put butter and coconut oil in my tea.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat it. I use it for baking.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I love the Nutiva Extra Virgin Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil. I put it in my coffee, on my toast, on top of a baked sweet potato and use in place of oil. I also remove eye make up with it, use it as an all over body moisturizer. I love the stuff. I have also shaved with it.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I throw a tbsp in my smoothies and use it on my skin.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I make 'sweet' treats with it. They're called "fat bombs" if you're not familiar with the term.

BEV'S LEMON ZINGER FAT BOMBS

1 cup coconut oil (1/2 cup melted, 1/2 cup solid)
    zest of one medium lemon
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. pure lemon extract
    9 drops of EZ-Sweetz (or to taste)

Place all ingredients in food processor. Mix until evenly blended. Pour in tupperware container or small pan that is lined with parchment paper. Place in freezer until solid, and cut to size. I measure mine by the gram (easier to keep track that way). Keep in freezer until you want a piece. I have a hard time limiting myself to just one of these...they're SO good and refreshing, especially on a hot day or after a work-out.

HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE ~ Fat Bombs

1/4 cup coconut oil melted (takes about 20-30 seconds in the micro)
    1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
    12 - 15 drops of EZ-Sweetz (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix it all together. Pour it into a flat dish lined with wax paper. Put in freezer to harden. Once hardened, I weigh it by grams and divide it into 10 servings. Servings are 10-12 grams each. I wrap each serving in a little bit of wax paper. Store it in the freezer or refrigerator. Because it is made with coconut oil it melts quickly in your hands or at room temp. Courtesy: LauraDotts
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't imagine a "bite" of any oil would taste good?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If there is an outbreak of lice at your kids school rub some in there hair and it helps to kill lice and prevent it all together
    Feed it to your cat or dog to give them a healthy shinny coat. Dogs seams to enjoy it more, some cats too

Supports immune system.
    Hydrates and protects the skin, improves skin tone and prevents wrinkles and skin aging.
    Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).

Source?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    After researching up on this "wonder oil" I decided to try it. So, I grabbed a spoon and took a "bite"... omg! its awful! So how do I overcome this?! suggestions?

You're supposed to cook and **** with it...not eat spoonfuls of it. Do you eat spoonfuls of butter or olive oil? I know people do eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, but it's just a stupid, weird trend that makes no sense. It's still ****ing fat...and I'm of the personal opinion that any fat that can remain solid at room temperature can't be exceedingly good for you. I eat the stuff sparingly...I use it often in lieu of butter...but I don't eat spoonfuls of it...that's just weird.

Coconut oil is free of cholesterol and trans-fats. It also contains lauric acid, which is a good thing.

dietary cholesterol is irrelevant. and I said I eat it...just not by the spoonful. I know it has good properties, but people tend to take this stupid **** to exceedingly off the chart levels....ever heard of too much of a good thing?
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Spread it on warm toast. If you still don't like it, add a little peanut butter on top of it.

Yum Yum!!! That's what I have every morning, except I put some grinded flax seed on top.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use it as a moisturizer (doesn't cause acne, I have very oily skin) and in my coffee on occasion . * Please make sure you buy Extra Virgin Coconut Oil if you're going to use it on your skin. If you use a refined type, it will clog your pores.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Supports immune system.

Source?

I am sorry I didn't save the site, but just google benifits of coconut oil and u will get plenty of info. I kno some may be a long shot but there might be something that is worth a shot for u. I
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Was using it instead of butter and my cholesterol & LDL cholesterol both went up a lot! Not so good! Was also eating 2 eggs a day. Even tho they say dietary cholesterol doesn't affect blood cholesterol, I am cutting back slightly on the eggs & eliminated the coconut oil for now to see what happens in 6 months.

That might be related to the eggs.
  • CoralDream
    CoralDream Posts: 25
    Options
    I was just wondering what section of the store this is usually in? Baking or health section?