Do you post "gym selfies?"

Options

Replies

• JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I take selfies all the time. I take selfies when my hair looks good. I take selfies when I look great in an outfit. I take selfies when I see progress at the gym. I take selfies with my dog because she's the cutest.
    And you know why? Because I spent like 18 years hating myself and now I catch myself in the mirror and I'm like "dayum girl." And I post some of them on facebook because I want other people to see not only how I've changed physically but how I've changed emotionally.
    Ain't nothing wrong with loving yourself. I personally take a lot of joy in seeing other people express pride and love for themselves, as well. I think it's great. I give a lot of selfies, weight loss photos, outfit of the day photos a big ol like on facebook because we all deserve to love ourselves and feel good about it.
  • nick40vmi
    nick40vmi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    nick40ghs wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Congratulations. You've been reported for trolling.

Excuse me, I'm here to stimulate a scientific and debatable topic that may require further understanding due to the recent findings of the Brunel University study. If you do not wish to view or be a part of this discussion, you are not required to engage in the discussion.

Then where is the study so we can all see it and read it?

I'm sorry to say the study is still in its preliminary phases. Dr. T. Marshall of the university has still yet to publish the work. Hopefully, it will be made available soon to help our understanding.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I SURE DO! I am damn proud of my accomplishments and for those who say its a psychological problem, I say no. I used to have one because I refused to be photographed. I think that was way more of a problem than a gym selfie. Jesus people are so judgy!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    How is posting a gym selfie any different than a regular selfie? Social media is pretty much a vehicle for narcissism, isn't it? I don't see how this is different.

And I've taken two gym selfies. One of my biceps (because they're awesome) and my profile photo, because it was a funny story.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Yeah, selfies are the worst!

Since it is arguable your profile picture is a 'gym selfie' would you say your picture is "the worst!"

That was the point. It was a joke. I think you might need this as well:

high-horse.jpg

And maybe this:

troll.jpg

Ah! So including your sarcasm, are you implicitly saying you do not believe a gym selfie is 'narcissistic' as the Brunel University study says? If this is true, would you care to elaborate?

Absolutely. This should explain everything:

post-22461-Hot-Dogs-Nostalgia-Chick-gif-TYRj.gif

OMG! The Nostalgia Chick!!! :D:D:D
  • try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on context. On a fitness site it makes sense. On Facebook it's tacky. Consider the medium used to distribute the selfie.
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    It seems a previously posted question needs to be supplied again due to the nature of the discussion:

Why does one post their accomplishments for people on social network when regardless if it is posted or not, your accomplishment remains intact?

Responses are encouraged.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    It seems a previously posted question needs to be supplied again due to the nature of the discussion:

Why does one post their accomplishments for people on social network when regardless if it is posted or not, your accomplishment remains intact?

Because why not?

Social media is for sharing your life. Fitness is part of my life.
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    I think it depends on context. On a fitness site it makes sense. On Facebook it's tacky. Consider the medium used to distribute the selfie.

Great point, so you're saying the vessel used to post the picture is appropriate based upon the websites genre?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't post my stuff to FB
    Only to here, or IG or over at BB.com......
    But I don't do my health/exercise/fitness stuff on FB page.
  • nick40vmi
    Options

Because why not?

Excellent point, social media is an efficient way to keep people informed of one's activities. So this brings up another discussion:

What kind of posting is healthy and unhealthy? Is their such a thing as healthy or unhealthy posting?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't take selfies. Sometimes, I force someone else to take a picture of me. Does that make me more or less narcissistic than someone who takes selfies? Does frequency matter? Am I less narcissistic if I force someone to take a picture of me once per month than if I do it every week? I simply must know the scientific answer to these all-important questions.
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Its a social media..where we supposed to socialize,especially if you live abroad away from your friends FB now days serves as a good tool to stay in touch just like Skype..And nothing wrong to post your achievement,for which you deserve to proudly present to your friends on social media..and perhaps to motivate..if you are a person with no issues you will easily see who has them..like so many ppl on here sadly...Im coming back to MFP forums after quite a long time and still Im disgusted to see so many profiles with ridiculous selfies that can almost be classified as nudity,where you have a typical MFP attention seeking guy that has been on here for years and if you check his pics all you see is pathetic narcistic selfies,which sadly show no progress..but never hesitates add some more to his posts already counting in thousands...Now that kind of ppl need help for sure
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Because why not?

Excellent point, social media is an efficient way to keep people informed of one's activities. So this brings up another discussion:

What kind of posting is healthy and unhealthy? Is their such a thing as healthy or unhealthy posting?

I think that's going to vary wildly from person to person. And I don't think it's up to anyone else to determine for another person.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Because why not?

I heard that posting a lot of carbs and sugar is unhealthy.
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    I don't take selfies. Sometimes, I force someone else to take a picture of me. Does that make me more or less narcissistic than someone who takes selfies? Does frequency matter? Am I less narcissistic if I force someone to take a picture of me once per month than if I do it every week? I simply must know the scientific answer to these all-important questions.

Good questions, does anyone care to elaborate?

A suggestion though, keeping questions linked through the developmental growth of the discussion is typically easier to comprehend for the sake of the discussion. Keep questions less frequent and pose more when the question arises.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I follow many people on Instagram who do constant gym/flexing selfies. I find these are the people who keep me on track, give great advice, and I also find them to be surprisingly humble.
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    JengaJess wrote: »

Because why not?

I heard that posting a lot of carbs and sugar is unhealthy.

Hahaha you're Tom-foolery is amusing. Well done!
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    I follow many people on Instagram who do constant gym/flexing selfies. I find these are the people who keep me on track, give great advice, and I also find them to be surprisingly humble.

Interesting point. Would you say your motivation would primarily cease to exist without the 'gym selfies' of others?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Interesting point. Would you say your motivation would primarily cease to exist without the 'gym selfies' of others?

It may not cease to exist but it would certainly not be as strong. It is a constant daily motivator, and I look forward to hearing what they say or seeing what they're doing. roberta.saum on IG is a MFP'er who says something every day which strikes a chord with me.