Do you post "gym selfies?"

Replies

• terrilouH
    terrilouH Posts: 90 Member
    I take one "selfie" every Friday and I post a before and after at each month mile stone I reach..... I do it because I'm proud of myself for achieving those goals not because of what others will think lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    So one cannot be proud of what they accomplish? Do you not frame your college degrees if you have any? Same goes for gym selfies. You work hard for what stares back at you in the mirror

• nick40vmi
    nick40vmi Posts: 70 Member
    It's not saying it's wrong to post gym selfies, the Brunel University study simply states people who do post gym selfies tend to be narcissists and their narcissism is fueled by the "Likes" or positive feedback. It's to boost their ego, whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant.
  • yopeeps025
    nick40ghs wrote: »
    It's not saying it's wrong to post gym selfies, the Brunel University study simply states people who do post gym selfies tend to be narcissists and their narcissism is fueled by the "Likes" or positive feedback. It's to boost their ego, whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant.

I can see that for the people who constantly take gym photos and I mean like everyday with a check up to said gym. There are people like that.
  • terrilouH
    terrilouH Posts: 90 Member
    When people have a baby they post a picture, get married post a picture, graduate post a picture would these pictures also fall under narcissism, I think any period in your life you are happy/proud and feeling accomplished you should be allowed to share without being labelled
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I have posted I think two in my entire journey lol. one was to show how I looked once I hit goal so that I would have a reference point for any future figure changes. One was very un-narcissistic as I did not post flatteringly. I just handed husband the camera and lifted in my usual way (making horrible faces, covered in sweat) in order to make some of my friends feel better because THEY were looking at workout selfies online and feeling ugly. I said hold up, I'll post a REAL one and then you will feel better. I feel like I helped them out. :D
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member

This goes for any selfies. The chick that can't drive to work without a car selfie. The dude that can't take a shower without the towel in the mirror selfie, etc
  • nick40vmi
    Let's pose another question:

Should pride be kept to one's self and not posted to a complete public audience (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.), could that no longer be pride and reach vanity?
  • yopeeps025

Should pride be kept to one's self and not posted to a complete public audience (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.), could that no longer be pride and reach vanity?

That answer is up to the individual.
  • nick40vmi
    edited June 2015
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

That answer is up to the individual.

Good point, this question ends subjectively. So better question:

Why post a gym selfie for the Web to see publicly, if one is already proud of what they have accomplished?
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2015
    I have an anonymous Instagram account on which I sometimes share post-workout selfies. I use my IG fitness account as sort of an illustrated supplement to MFP. There's a whole community of people on IG similar to MFP, with an added visual element.

It may be a little narcissistic, but I think that a lot of the gym selfies I see on the fitness community of IG are all about fostering hard work and self care, much like MFP.
  • nick40vmi
    BFDeal wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    So one cannot be proud of what they accomplish? Do you not frame your college degrees if you have any? Same goes for gym selfies. You work hard for what stares back at you in the mirror

Yeah, at home or maybe in your office. Probably only if you're a doctor or a lawyer too. But you don't post pictures of your degree on social media every day to show how you still have a degree or talk about your degree constantly. If you did the implication would be you're going out of your way to rub it in peoples faces. And isn't all the "hard work I put in at the gym" for the individual? That's the thing people always say. "I do this for me. I don't do this for anyone else." Except the people your post the selfies for?

Free pass for specifically related fitness site selfies. It's a fitness site. What do you expect?

Interesting response, so could you conclude accomplishments are primarily meant for ones that matter to the individual? Typically these can be regarded as friends and family, and at a professional level it is used to display as a qualification, as opposed to anything beyond that such as social media sites or any other publicly viewed sector reaches a point of gaudy behavior, vanity, and narcissism?
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Nope, too busy working out to care about a photo!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Of course. How else will people know I'm a douche?

Oh my God I love this guy!!! <3:*
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    LOL I guess the majority of the world is narcissistic because selfies are everywhere! Whether in the gym or not in the gym, someone is taking a selfie right at this very moment! Hmm, Okay got to go take a selfie! LOL
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Man, people who post gym selfies are so full of themselves :wink:
  • nick40vmi
    LOL I guess the majority of the world is narcissistic because selfies are everywhere! Whether in the gym or not in the gym, someone is taking a selfie right at this very moment! Hmm, Okay got to go take a selfie! LOL

A very generalized statement I might add.

At what point is a selfie 'a photo meant to show- off' and at what point is it simply just 'a photo'?