Do you post "gym selfies?"

Options

Replies

• baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have an anonymous Instagram account on which I sometimes share post-workout selfies. I use my IG fitness account as sort of an illustrated supplement to MFP. There's a whole community of people on IG similar to MFP, with an added visual element.

It may be a little narcissistic, but I think that a lot of the gym selfies I see on the fitness community of IG are all about fostering hard work and self care, much like MFP.

Same here. I post a daily gym selfie on IG, and it gives me a confidence boost. I can see the progress as I scroll through all the pics.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I don't post selfies too often. I do post clips of my workout though. Does that mean I'm extra narcissistic?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I don't post selfies too often. I do post clips of my workout though. Does that mean I'm extra narcissistic?
    Please do not cease or desist.
  • nick40vmi
    nick40vmi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Based upon the opinions of most of the users who have posted, it seems they do not feel the Brunel University in London study does not hold true and narcissism is not prevalent in those who post 'gym selfies' on social media sites. Great discussion!
  • LolBroScience
    edited June 2015
    Options
    nick40ghs wrote: »
    Based upon the opinions of most of the users who have posted, it seems they do not feel the Brunel University in London study does not hold true and narcissism is not prevalent in those who post 'gym selfies' on social media sites. Great discussion!

Me thinks the study should be re-titled "Group of DYEL's conduct study on personal jealousy - Haters gonna hate."
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I think it is all relative - it depends on who is doing the defining (which camp one is on). I have a feeling soon enough they will do a study on people that do not post/take selfies, accompanied by a defining word for them :smiley:
  • nick40vmi
    Options

Me thinks the study should be re-titled "Group of DYEL's conduct study on personal jealousy - Haters gonna hate."

Hahahaha quite amusing, however the study is performed in a objective manner as is all scholarly work. I doubt the motivations for the study are based upon emotional responses
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I see you have very little experience with studies.
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I see you have very little experience with studies.

To disagree with my response may require some rebuttal, but I am quite sure the statement, stands to reason, to be true.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Is the selfie situationally appropriate? On this site, yes. On FB? Maybe not so much. I think that question has bearing on the conclusion I would come to one way or the other. That being said, my gym doesn't allow cameras, so, no selfies for me.
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    Is the selfie situationally appropriate? On this site, yes. On FB? Maybe not so much. I think that question has bearing on the conclusion I would come to one way or the other. That being said, my gym doesn't allow cameras, so, no selfies for me.

Just out of curiosity, why does your gym not allow cameras? An oddly specific policy I might add.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Just out of curiosity, why does your gym not allow cameras? An oddly specific policy I might add.

It's common at a lot of commercial gyms actually
  • TR0berts
    Options

I see you have very little experience with gyms, as well.
  • nick40vmi
    Options

It's common at a lot of commercial gyms actually

I do not usually go to gyms or know much about them, so my knowledge on their policies is fairly limited.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    It's not that unusual, really. My gyms are a part of a State University, so I always figured it was just a way for them to reduce headaches and shenanigans. I've never really needed to prove to anyone but my insurance provider that I was at the gym anyway, and just swiping my ID at the door does that.
  • nick40vmi
    Options

I find your posts irrelevant to the discussion and frankly distasteful, I would like to ask you to please cease any further negative comments. Thank you.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I find your posts irrelevant to the discussion and frankly distasteful, I would like to ask you to please cease any further negative comments. Thank you.

You did start a topic to link people to a blog that doesn't really say anything that references a study nobody can access. Then you haven't actually contributed much of anything to the discussion, so I can see why people would poke fun at you.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    They're actually quite relevant.

First post of mine: it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of others posting gym selfies.

Second post of mine: studies are often started because someone has an emotional investment in the subject.

Third post of mine: confirmed by you later, that you don't know basic rules of most gyms.

I give your trolling a 3/10.
  • nick40vmi
    Options

You did start a topic to link people to a blog that doesn't really say anything that references a study nobody can access. Then you haven't actually contributed much of anything to the discussion, so I can see why people would poke fun at you.

My dear sir, I've been a catalyst for intelligent discussion. My contribution has been that of a third person stand point.