Do you post "gym selfies?"

Options

Replies

• nick40vmi
    nick40vmi Posts: 70 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Please, I hope these comments are Notdirected at me. Regardless the nature of my original post, I was simply trying to stimulate discussion of the topic. However, if the nature of the posts are meant to be negative, I hope it was not from offense from me.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    terrilouH wrote: »
    When people have a baby they post a picture, get married post a picture, graduate post a picture would these pictures also fall under narcissism, I think any period in your life you are happy/proud and feeling accomplished you should be allowed to share without being labelled
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Didn't you know? If you are fit, you're supposed to be ashamed of that progress. You should not share it on Facebook, because that would be narcissistic. You should not post status updates of successes in the gym or progress made. That is braggery.

However... If you are volunteering at your child's school - THAT is FB worthy. Because that shows you are a good parent. Or if you make a delicious meal. You should post THOSE pics. Or, you can always feel free to post a meme about how you are NOT fit or beautiful, that you have curves and focus on your family. Those are acceptable.

But posting pictures that show you may have a nice physique? Despicable. Heaven forbid someone feels that you are telling them that you are a better at parenting er... cooking er... taking care of yourself. You may come across as having a better family life er... cooking skills er... body than them. And that's clearly wrong.

ETA: Oh and don't forget vacation photos... those are perfect photos to post. No one will ever think that you are posting those because you're richer than them, or have better opportunities. Everyone wants to see your posts of your world travels. But not your running route... or your new work out clothes. Fancy shoes? yes... Runners no.

Clear... right?

I might be misunderstanding, but are you honestly suggesting that having nice abs is on par with volunteer work or as relevant and interesting to your social network as a wedding and/or a new baby?

• belleamore1234
    belleamore1234 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When people have a baby they post a picture, get married post a picture, graduate post a picture would these pictures also fall under narcissism, I think any period in your life you are happy/proud and feeling accomplished you should be allowed to share without being labelled
    Didn't you know? If you are fit, you're supposed to be ashamed of that progress. You should not share it on Facebook, because that would be narcissistic. You should not post status updates of successes in the gym or progress made. That is braggery.

However... If you are volunteering at your child's school - THAT is FB worthy. Because that shows you are a good parent. Or if you make a delicious meal. You should post THOSE pics. Or, you can always feel free to post a meme about how you are NOT fit or beautiful, that you have curves and focus on your family. Those are acceptable.

But posting pictures that show you may have a nice physique? Despicable. Heaven forbid someone feels that you are telling them that you are a better at parenting er... cooking er... taking care of yourself. You may come across as having a better family life er... cooking skills er... body than them. And that's clearly wrong.

ETA: Oh and don't forget vacation photos... those are perfect photos to post. No one will ever think that you are posting those because you're richer than them, or have better opportunities. Everyone wants to see your posts of your world travels. But not your running route... or your new work out clothes. Fancy shoes? yes... Runners no.

Clear... right?

I might be misunderstanding, but are you honestly suggesting that having nice abs is on par with volunteer work or as relevant and interesting to your social network as a wedding and/or a new baby?

I find other people's weddings and babies inanely boring, a nice pair of abs on the other hand ..........
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't do selfies! I know people who do post gym selfies. I never had thought of it.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Clear... right?

clearly, if I agree with your understanding of what I'm saying, I must be highly narcissistic... or at the very least, have a flawed sense of understanding about what my "social network" - aka family and friends - want to know about my life.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Clear... right?

I can't speak for the poster, but that is not really what I took from it. I think their point was most things are posted in a some what "narcissistic" way. Whether it's a picture of you right after you broke a PR at the gym or a picture of you volunteering or a picture of you getting married, we share them because we want others to know they happened. People shouldn't be shamed for wanting others to know they're working hard and are super fit and feel awesome about it if they're not shamed for feeling super awesome about anything else they do/ are.
    Although, it really depends on your audience. Honestly, I'd much rather see a bunch of gym selfies than a bunch of baby pictures and wedding photos. But that's because fitness and health is one of my priorities right now.
  • belleamore1234
    Options

Clear... right?

clearly, if I agree with your understanding of what I'm saying, I must be highly narcissistic... or at the very least, have a flawed sense of understanding about what my "social network" - aka family and friends - want to know about my life.

Get married and have a baby so you can post endless pics about it how dare you work on your fitness and show people the results ;) lol
  • MireyGal76
    edited June 2015
    Options

Clear... right?

but therein is the problem.

I have friends that CONSTANTLY talk about struggling with their weight, and having no time, and not knowing what to do. And yet they're posting recipes for these crazy desserts, and food parties and the like.

If i even hint at the fact that I watch my food... or that I go to the gym... or how I manage my life so that I fit that stuff in... it gets reduced to me saying "look at my abs"

That is bullsh!t.

Nothing I said in the quote you placed said I had abs. I talked about progress made. I talked about the results of putting in time and effort. Training and dedication. You are the one who whittled it down to being about abs. Just like most everyone (non fitness minded) on FB does.

So, if I spend hours and hours crocheting a blanket. Is it safe to post a picture of the blanket? Am I bragging about the blanket? About my skill at chrochet? Am I assuming anyone gives a crap about what I did? I shouldn't assume that my crochet skills are interesting to anyone because they're not on par with volunteering or pushing out a baby?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Clear... right?

You truly think your family cares more about your workout than if you got married?

Fwiw, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gym selfies, or any other kind of selfies; i just don't agree with the comparisons you used.
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    So are what's allowed as far as gym selfies go dependent on the person? I'm guessing no one wants a shirtless ab shot of me since I"m 5'11" 230lbs 28% body fat right? But I've spent years working on my body though. Too bad I started at 365lbs. Maybe then I could "just be proud of my hard work" publicly.

Who said you can't be??
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    So are what's allowed as far as gym selfies go dependent on the person? I'm guessing no one wants a shirtless ab shot of me since I"m 5'11" 230lbs 28% body fat right? But I've spent years working on my body though. Too bad I started at 365lbs. Maybe then I could "just be proud of my hard work" publicly.

as far as I'm concerned? I'd say hell yes - post that pic. Because you worked freaking hard. Post the before, post the after. And I'll celebrate with you vehemently. Because you worked hard and you were determined, and you have a RIGHT TO BE PROUD of that.

Post it.
  • belleamore1234
    Options

Clear... right?

I have friends that CONSTANTLY talk about struggling with their weight, and having no time, and not knowing what to do. And yet they're posting recipes for these crazy desserts, and food parties and the like.

If i even hint at the fact that I watch my food... or that I go to the gym... or how I manage my life so that I fit that stuff in... it gets reduced to me saying "look at my abs"

That is bullsh!t.

Nothing I said in the quote you placed said I had abs. I talked about progress made. I talked about the results of putting in time and effort. Training and dedication. You are the one who whittled it down to being about abs. Just like most everyone (non fitness minded) on FB does.

So, if I spend hours and hours crocheting a blanket. Is it safe to post a picture of the blanket? Am I bragging about the blanket? About my skill at chrochet? Am I assuming anyone gives a crap about what I did? I shouldn't assume that my crochet skills are interesting to anyone because they're not on par with volunteering or pushing out a baby?

I think the issue is that appearance is used as the measuring stick of a person's value all too often. The same isn't true for blankets. If you post a good looking blanket you made and I post an ugly one no one is going to say "Man, look at his blanket. What a loser. He really shouldn't of posted that. He's probably lazy and didn't work very hard on it. How did his blanket even end up looking like that?"

I think you are taking the comparisons a bit too literally
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Clear... right?

You truly think your family cares more about your workout than if you got married?

Fwiw, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gym selfies, or any other kind of selfies; i just don't agree with the comparisons you used.

my family knows I got married.

look at your feed and what it's made up of:
    - pics of kids (I do that)
    - inspirational quotes
    - funny jokes
    - recipes
    - buy my seacret / partylite / epicure / miracle cream that makes you look like julia roberts
    - work vent
    - quilts
    - vacation trips
    - wine glasses half full
    - painted toes
    - fish stories
    - new cars
    - new homes
    - cd release parties

I haven't seen a "Hey I got married, here's my pics" post in ages

So why is it that a reference to the gym is not acceptable with the rest of these? Why is that narcissistic, and these are not?
  • MireyGal76
    Options

Clear... right?

That is bullsh!t.

I think the issue is that appearance is used as the measuring stick of a person's value all too often. The same isn't true for blankets. If you post a good looking blanket you made and I post an ugly one no one is going to say "Man, look at his blanket. What a loser. He really shouldn't of posted that. He's probably lazy and didn't work very hard on it. How did his blanket even end up looking like that?"

I can guarantee you... if you posted your progress pic, and I posted mine - same stance, maybe flexing a bicep - on the same FB feed list... yours would be very well received. mine, would be seen as narcissistic.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I post selfies periodically and so do a lot of my Facebook friends. It's a way of connecting. I don't think of any of them as narcissistic .
  • MireyGal76
    Options

as far as I'm concerned? I'd say hell yes - post that pic. Because you worked freaking hard. Post the before, post the after. And I'll celebrate with you vehemently. Because you worked hard and you were determined, and you have a RIGHT TO BE PROUD of that.

Post it.

So why the before AND the after? Why not just the after? The answer to that question is why people think gym selfies are douchie.

then do the after. your real friends will know the before anyways and respect the work you put in.