Low carb diet help!

Options

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I do what works for me. You do what works for you. You and your pro-CICO friends need to quit pushing your beliefs on those who don't follow your philosophy. Remember what you parents and teacher taught you: Don't push your beliefs on anyone. This thread is about low-carb, not CICO. Lets keep it on-topic.

It's not a "belief" dear. It's science.

You might want to stow your ignorance on this one.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So are you saying that CICO does not apply to everyone and that I can eat in a calorie surplus, go low carb, and lose weight?

and you got the body in the picture from overeating, carbs had nothing to do with it, no matter how much you think they did.

It's impossible to eat a calorie surplus if you're a woman who eats 25 grams of fiber or a man who eats 38 grams of fiber everyday. If a normal person without an eating disorder eats fiber, their body will feel so full, they won't need any more food.

ceoverturf wrote: »

Where has ANYONE bashed her?

Specific examples please.

On the first page of this forum post, this is what agglikik said:
    aggelikik wrote: »
    So, how does a 19 year old decide to start a low carb diet for life? If the answer is because you googled it and it is the latest fashion, are you sure you want to base your life on google? And your eating choices on what is the latest "thing"?
    Check here, this might help you decide if this is such a good idea or not:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    Why is a 19 year old with no weight issues even counting calories and carbs? I know it is a weird thing to ask considering I am on this site too, but you are 19. And normal weight. Calorie counting, carb counting etc, are not "normal" for someone your age without weight or health issues.

And I've seen other pro-CICO post on other low carb threads, like yesterday's thread about no-carb recipes in the recipe section.

No...you got it by eating more calories than your body burned. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and certainly major medical issues can and do affect the number of calories your body burns on an average day, sometimes significantly. But the point of CICO still stands.

You can believe what you want. If CICO works for you: Great!

I do what works for me. You do what works for you. You and your pro-CICO friends need to quit pushing your beliefs on those who don't follow your philosophy. Remember what you parents and teacher taught you: Don't push your beliefs on anyone. This thread is about low-carb, not CICO. Lets keep it on-topic.

I have no idea where you are from. I am assuming it not from this planet. Us humans, we take energy from food. Energy is measured in calories. This is the CI in CICO. Then we burn energy to breathe, move etc. This is again measured in calories. The CO in CICO. My 5th grader had a test about it at school last month. It is what she was taught in basic science. Which applies to all humans as far as I know. It is not a belief, it does not involve praying to higher powers. It is called science. It not something that is philosophical, it is a proven fact. I do not know, I guess educational systems vary a lot around the planet. I must admit that until coming on MFP I did not think there were adults who were never taught basic biology and physics.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I don't understand people's negativity towards low carb. I think it's a fantastic way to lose weight. For me eating low carb had cut my cravings for food. I'm so satisfied with the meals I eat and am still losing. It's helped my hypoglycaemia. For me, eating high carbs and low fat always set me up for failure as id be ravenous all day long. Lchf has helped me stick to my calorie deficit. Yes you don't need to limit carbs to lose weight, but it does help people who struggle eating carbs.

I think most of us agree low carb CAN be a very effective way to create a calorie deficit/lose weight.

The disagreement comes with those who say it's the ONLY way and/or calories don't matter as long as you count carbs.

Or from those who say it's never the way. Oddly, the same ones who seem to be attracted to any thread that mentions lc.

@fferbz You may also want to go read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Read the FAQ, download the spreadsheet, and you can use that to calculate your macros and set up your program to alter them as you progress.

While I acknowledge my personal views may have blinded me to it, I don't recall EVER seeing anyone saying it's NEVER the way.

Every time someone says it's all water weight you'll gain back if you don't eat that way for life.

Well, I'm sure both of our personal views cause us to interpret that statement different ways.

I'd hardly interpret that as saying low-carb is NEVER the answer...in fact I'd equally apply that statement to any sort of eating plan, low-carb, IF, moderating, etc. Whatever plan you choose should ideally be one you can stick to for life if you want to keep the weight off.

Not really. All that matters is that you eat at maintenance for life. It doesn't matter how you eat to eat at maintenance. Prior to maintenance, if LC, IF, etc help you to easier achieve a deficit, there's no reason to not use that tool. People gain weight after their "diet" is over because they go back to pizza and beer every weekend and eating all the free bagels at work every day, not because they switch from LC to IF or from vegan to IIFYM. And/or they stop working out, and go back to marathoning GoT and TWD every weekend.

Right now there are tons of people on a cut living on chicken, broccoli and brown rice. Not a single one of them has any intention of eating that way for life, rather most of them are bitching about it every day they're doing it. It's all just a means to an end.

I don't disagree with any of that. But still doesn't make the above statment = your claim that people say "Low Carb NEVER works".

As far as I'm aware, posting specific examples is against the rules, but if you really are curious, spend some time searching for "not sustainable" and "must eat carbs".

Well - doesn't pretty much any weight loss 'plan' have like a 95% failure rate? Pointing out something isn't sustainable I guess to me is different that pointing out it doesn't work, otherwise we could say any diet plan doesn't work.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So are you saying that CICO does not apply to everyone and that I can eat in a calorie surplus, go low carb, and lose weight?

and you got the body in the picture from overeating, carbs had nothing to do with it, no matter how much you think they did.

It's impossible to eat a calorie surplus if you're a woman who eats 25 grams of fiber or a man who eats 38 grams of fiber everyday. If a normal person without an eating disorder eats fiber, their body will feel so full, they won't need any more food.

So, how does a 19 year old decide to start a low carb diet for life? If the answer is because you googled it and it is the latest fashion, are you sure you want to base your life on google? And your eating choices on what is the latest "thing"?
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    Why is a 19 year old with no weight issues even counting calories and carbs? I know it is a weird thing to ask considering I am on this site too, but you are 19. And normal weight. Calorie counting, carb counting etc, are not "normal" for someone your age without weight or health issues.

EDIT: That post counts as bashing.

And I've seen other pro-CICO post on other low carb threads, like yesterday's thread about no-carb recipes in the recipe section.

No...you got it by eating more calories than your body burned. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and certainly major medical issues can and do affect the number of calories your body burns on an average day, sometimes significantly. But the point of CICO still stands.

Ok, so I checked your diary. Let's go back to basics. Do you realise you are eating 160 grams of carbs per day? Which, gasp, means you are not eating low carb? And that as a 400 lbs woman you are eating 1800 calories per day, which, double gasp, means you are actually eating at a significant calorie deficit?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Your claims about fiber, fullness, and the impossibility of overeating aren't true.

Exhibit A chiming in.

I'd like to get back to the topic of the OP rather than making this pro-carb vs. anti-carb.

Is ANYONE else going to wonder why someone who weighs 119 pounds wants to lose 7 pounds? If she's short and small framed, okay? Maybe she just needs to lower her body fat through progressive lifting and does not need to eat at deficit at all.

I don't think anyone is thinking of the OP here, including you. You're pushing an agenda as much as you claim "the CICO crowd" is.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

CICO does not mean what you think it means. CICO applies to everyone, it's why you can either lose or gain weight on keto, because it's nothing but a mathematical equation. It is not a WOE or a diet plan. It's a very simple if then statement: if CI > CO then weight goes up, if CI < CO then weight goes down, if CI=CO then weight stays the same. Low Carb is a tool you use to alter your CI. It's also possible you have conditions like insulin resistance, PCOS or diabetes that alter your CO, meaning you do the same activity as someone else the same size at the same intensity for the same amount of time, but do not burn as many calories, while reducing your carbs offsets the symptoms of those conditions, restoring your CO to the same level as the other person.

TBF, there are some other people who also use CICO incorrectly, and use it to describe a WOE, when what they really mean is calorie restriction, and that may explain your confusion. Make an effort when they do that to substitute the phrase "eat at a deficit" and you won't feel so confused.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You did not answer my question, well I guess you did with your "if CICO works for you" statement.

Ok,

then please run this little test on yourself.

set carbs to 70 grams
    eat the right foods
    eat in a 500 calorie surplus
    do this for four months
    record monthly weight
    report back wit results..

If you are so confident that CICO does not work for you then you should report back that you gained zero weight..if you don't want to run this experiment, then what are you afraid of?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ok, so I checked your diary. Let's go back to basics. Do you realise you are eating 160 grams of carbs per day? Which, gasp, means you are not eating low carb? And that as a 400 lbs woman you are eating 1800 calories per day, which, double gasp, means you are actually eating at a significant calorie deficit?

oh snap...
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Your claims about fiber, fullness, and the impossibility of overeating aren't true.

Exhibit A chiming in.

I'd like to get back to the topic of the OP rather than making this pro-carb vs. anti-carb.

Is ANYONE else going to wonder why someone who weighs 119 pounds wants to lose 7 pounds? If she's short and small framed, okay? Maybe she just needs to lower her body fat through progressive lifting and does not need to eat at deficit at all.

I don't think anyone is thinking of the OP here, including you. You're pushing an agenda as much as you claim "the CICO crowd" is.

She only wants to lose 7lbs. If OP is 5'5 or shorter, that's within the healthy weight range.
    I have many friends who are around 5'4 and eight stone; some are even smaller... without looking like Skeletor.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Actually this thread is about the goals of the OP and how to best advise her on reaching those goals without doing anything risky or anything that won't help her reach her goals. If her goal is to maintain her weight and improve her lean body mass %, low carb eating won't help her. Low carb is nothing more than a method to ease feelings of hunger during calorie restriction. That's it. Since OP is not overweight, people are guessing that she does not have a problem with overeating. Therefore low carb is likely not the best option for her to meet her goals. Unless her goal is actually to become underweight in which case the correct response is to advise against that, period.

• JPW1990
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

She already said it's a cut. This could evolve into a bulk/cut vs recomp debate, but that's irrelevant to LC, since you can use that for either.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

She only wants to lose 7lbs. If OP is 5'5 or shorter, that's within the healthy weight range.
    I have many friends who are around 5'4 and eight stone; some are even smaller... without looking like Skeletor.

She might not need to create a deficit to achieve her goals. Let's let her answer the question, hmmm?

Since she is already lifting, following a progressive lifting routine will slowly change her body composition and lean her out. If she's not eating at deficit, she'll make more progress with her lifts. She said she wanted to look leaner. Leaner doesn't necessarily translate to scale weight.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Actually this thread is about the goals of the OP and how to best advise her on reaching those goals without doing anything risky or anything that won't help her reach her goals. If her goal is to maintain her weight and improve her lean body mass %, low carb eating won't help her. Low carb is nothing more than a method to ease feelings of hunger during calorie restriction. That's it. Since OP is not overweight, people are guessing that she does not have a problem with overeating. Therefore low carb is likely not the best option for her to meet her goals. Unless her goal is actually to become underweight in which case the correct response is to advise against that, period.

That's got to be the most ill-informed statement I've ever seen about low-carb... and that's saying something!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

She already said it's a cut. This could evolve into a bulk/cut vs recomp debate, but that's irrelevant to LC, since you can use that for either.

No, she didn't. She mentioned other body builders being on cuts using low carb or something like that.

She said that she wants to "tone up her body and get lean".

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's got to be the most ill-informed statement I've ever seen about low-carb... and that's saying something!

I guess you missed the poster who said low carb operates outside the realms of the energy balance equation?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I eat over 25 grams of fiber each and every day. I do not agree with you that it would be impossible for me to eat at a surplus.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

What other reason would one have to lower carbs specifically?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

She might not need to create a deficit to achieve her goals. Let's let her answer the question, hmmm?

Since she is already lifting, following a progressive lifting routine will slowly change her body composition and lean her out. If she's not eating at deficit, she'll make more progress with her lifts. She said she wanted to look leaner. Leaner doesn't necessarily translate to scale weight.

did OP ever say what lifting program she is on?

and good luck bulking on low carb....
  • JPW1990
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

did OP ever say what lifting program she is on?

and good luck bulking on low carb....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0O9duM9hOw
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Actually maybe just found something even more ill informed, from Taubes who is pretty well known for his quackery (odd how low carbers still recommend his books)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10100379640292358&amp;id=274705965&amp;refsrc=https://m.facebook.com/MartinNutrition/videos/10100379640292358/&amp;_rdr