Can you visualize what life will be like after you've reached your goal?

Options

Replies

• lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've already lost 67 pounds, with a goal of another 60- there are so many things that have already changed for me. I look so much better, I can walk at a fast pace, I can run (a little bit) I can hike long distances, I am able to try and somewhat succeed at different fitness classes (I tried a pilates class when I was heavier and it was a disaster). I just see myself getting stronger, being super active, and hopefully, looking good doing it : )
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have reached goal...

it didn't change my life,
    I look like a smaller version of me,
    self image didn't change,
    feels great (mainly due to lack of aches and pains)
    lifestyle didn't change once I hit maintenance...still logged accurately and consistently and exercising.
    No problems...
    people respond?...hmmm nothing really.
    New Ops...I quit smoking and started running.

If anyone thinks losing weight will change these things...eh...not sure they do. If you aren't happy when you are bigger why would you be happier when you lose weight...????

Not trying to be a downer but them's the facts.

I'll bite. So why lose weight? OK, health. Take that one off the table. Too obvious. So let's phrase is this way, why diet down and/or become fit beyond what is considered relatively healthy/average/etc? In other words, why is everyone trying to get a six pack? And no "I do it for me" bs answers. That can mean anything. I brush my teeth for me. That is, so they don't get narly, so my breath doesn't smell, and so people don't look at me funny. That's the same as "doing it for me."

Why rule out health and "I do it for me" as too obvious and bs answers and, therefore, unworthy of being the truth? A lot of people lose weight/exercise/get fit for exactly those reasons.

I rule it out because it's away of getting around listing a real reason. It's a catch all. This thread was about specifics and how specifically you think you're life with change. Stef's assertion seemed to be that it won't really change much. So that prompts the obvious question: Why go above and beyond what bare minimum needed for health if there's no positive effect on your life? It'd certainly be easier to just be "sorta chubby but still healthy" or "kinda fit but not really super fit" etc etc. But everyone seems to want a six pack. So, why? Achieving this obviously gains them something, especially considering how shallow our society is.

What are you basing this assumption on? I certainly don't have an interest in a six pack and I'm betting there's a lot of people here who are the same way. I did lose the weight for health reasons. If you read my response to the OP's question I answered no longer a pre-diabetic and improved blood panels/health first. For me, the lower weight I am, the lower my glucose number is. I have the test results to prove this. Pretty straightforward.

There's all sorts of other benefits to being a healthy weight, but that's all secondary to my new, better health.
    All I know is as a male here getting lean is rammed down your throat. I challenge you to find one guy that says he wants to be 20% body fat. Most are trying to get to 10 it seems like. It's purely aesthetic at that point.
    It's not purely aesthetic at 20%. Calorie partitioning is a thing.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

lifestyle didn't change once I hit maintenance...still logged accurately and consistently and exercising.
    No problems...

If anyone thinks losing weight will change these things...eh...not sure they do. If you aren't happy when you are bigger why would you be happier when you lose weight...????

I'll bite. So why lose weight? OK, health. Take that one off the table. Too obvious. So let's phrase is this way, why diet down and/or become fit beyond what is considered relatively healthy/average/etc? In other words, why is everyone trying to get a six pack? And no "I do it for me" bs answers. That can mean anything. I brush my teeth for me. That is, so they don't get narly, so my breath doesn't smell, and so people don't look at me funny. That's the same as "doing it for me."

Why rule out health and "I do it for me" as too obvious and bs answers and, therefore, unworthy of being the truth? A lot of people lose weight/exercise/get fit for exactly those reasons.

I rule it out because it's away of getting around listing a real reason. It's a catch all. This thread was about specifics and how specifically you think you're life with change. Stef's assertion seemed to be that it won't really change much. So that prompts the obvious question: Why go above and beyond what bare minimum needed for health if there's no positive effect on your life? It'd certainly be easier to just be "sorta chubby but still healthy" or "kinda fit but not really super fit" etc etc. But everyone seems to want a six pack. So, why? Achieving this obviously gains them something, especially considering how shallow our society is.

What are you basing this assumption on? I certainly don't have an interest in a six pack and I'm betting there's a lot of people here who are the same way. I did lose the weight for health reasons. If you read my response to the OP's question I answered no longer a pre-diabetic and improved blood panels/health first. For me, the lower weight I am, the lower my glucose number is. I have the test results to prove this. Pretty straightforward.

There's all sorts of other benefits to being a healthy weight, but that's all secondary to my new, better health.
    All I know is as a male here getting lean is rammed down your throat. I challenge you to find one guy that says he wants to be 20% body fat. Most are trying to get to 10 it seems like. It's purely aesthetic at that point. Not a bad thing. Just an observation. They must think it's changing something about their lives. How people view them I guess. Having people kiss their butts for being so fit. I dunno. The usual round of human nature vanity reasons. You know, the things people lump in with "I do it for me."

I see "getting rammed down your throat" as somebody telling you that you're not doing it right unless that is your goal. When has that actually happened here? (By "here" I assume you mean on MFP.) Because I've never seen a poster tell a guy that if he doesn't want to get to 10% bf (or want to get a visible 6 pack) that his goal is wrong. My guess is that most of the people here who have/strive for 6 packs really don't care whether other guys are doing the same.

• lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I found this little exercise interesting (sorry men, it's only for the ladies) ... you guess what you look like, then enter your measurements and it tells you what you really look like. Someone linked to this in the Success forum, and I gave it a go ...

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758

When I first did it, I estimated that I looked relatively slender, like I looked 4 years ago. But I wasn't, I was actually heavier than that which was a little startling. I've never visualised myself as overweight.

Fortunately now that I've lost the weight and actually do look like I looked 4 years ago, I'm guessing right. :)

This was EYE-OPENING. I've lost 67 pounds in the past 5 and a half months and it's been hard to adjust, I still see myself as so much bigger than I am. I chose the second to last girl, and it actually says that I look like someone right in the middle.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

All I know is as a male here getting lean is rammed down your throat. I challenge you to find one guy that says he wants to be 20% body fat. Most are trying to get to 10 it seems like. It's purely aesthetic at that point. Not a bad thing. Just an observation. They must think it's changing something about their lives. How people view them I guess. Having people kiss their butts for being so fit. I dunno. The usual round of human nature vanity reasons. You know, the things people lump in with "I do it for me."
    By whom?
    I challenge you to find one guy that says he wants to be 20% body fat.
    Do you?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

All I know is as a male here getting lean is rammed down your throat. I challenge you to find one guy that says he wants to be 20% body fat. Most are trying to get to 10 it seems like. It's purely aesthetic at that point.
    It's not purely aesthetic at 20%. Calorie partitioning is a thing.
    Agreed. I've never been at 10% but the difference between 15% and 20% for me is that at 20 I'm just carrying around an extra 12 pounds of fat on my gut that serves no purpose but to slow me down.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

Ok there have been several responses to this comment, but to add something to them: having 10% body fat has many other advantages than aesthetics alone. One that is very important to me is that I will have to carry less excess baggage, making it easier to move around. You can perform better at sports and at (physical) work. In fact this is more important to me than aesthetics.

Also I don't remember anybody telling me I should do this, on the contrary, people say I already looked good at 15-18% and that I don't need to lose more.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for about 8 years.

There are things that I avoided when I was fat. Cameras and being in photos.

I waited to do things or avoided experiences that I thought would be more fun as a thin person. Or planned things hoping I could lose a few pounds to get ready for them. I sometimes bought clothing that was a size smaller hoping I would lose weight.

I always imagined my life as a thin person. When I lost the weight I did a lot of the things I'd missed out on.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I waited to do things or avoided experiences that I thought would be more fun as a thin person. Or planned things hoping I could lose a few pounds to get ready for them. I sometimes bought clothing that was a size smaller hoping I would lose weight.

I always imagined my life as a thin person. When I lost the weight I did a lot of the things I'd missed out on.

Ah, good point! That is one thing that has changed for me. I got to a point where I realized that I avoided cameras and mirrors like the plague because I didn't like what I would see. Then I remembered that I have 0 pictures of my mom and I from when I was my daughter's age because my mom avoided cameras too. That was one of the many things that led up to me buckling down and losing weight. Now I try to get pictures with my daughter on a regular basis. I still don't have a full length mirror but my husband recently asked if I would want one now and I said yes. So that's a change for me.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

What threads are you reading? I haven't seen that viewpoint pushed at all. At the risk of being flagged or whatever, I'm going to make a suggestion that perhaps it's your own attitude that is holding you back. Your posts seem very negative and you make a lot of assumptions. Generally, changing our mindset is the first step to success.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Ah, good point! That is one thing that has changed for me. I got to a point where I realized that I avoided cameras and mirrors like the plague because I didn't like what I would see. Then I remembered that I have 0 pictures of my mom and I from when I was my daughter's age because my mom avoided cameras too. That was one of the many things that led up to me buckling down and losing weight. Now I try to get pictures with my daughter on a regular basis. I still don't have a full length mirror but my husband recently asked if I would want one now and I said yes. So that's a change for me.

Yes, that's a huge change, and also not being miserable when I have to be weighed--I used to avoid the doctor because of that, which is crazy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Ya, me too. In fact upcoming wedding photos is what prompted me to knuckle down and get serious.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Up thread there were some comments along the lines of "If you didn't love yourself when you were fat, you won't love yourself when you are skinny." I have a different perspective. There's satisfaction when one sets a goal and achieves it and disappointment when one is not living in integrity. So for me the issue isn't love/not love, but proud/disappointed, etc. I was proud when I lost weight, disappointed with myself when I gained weight back, proud that I am on the right track again.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I certainly don't have an interest in a six pack and I'm betting there's a lot of people here who are the same way.

Not to be totally creepy, but I don't care about a 6-pack, but would love your mid-section.

I don't think there's any inconsistency, though, between saying that you don't think things will fundamentally change, that you will be a different person, or that you will have no more self-confidence at goal and still wanting some perks like looking really good to yourself in a wider variety of clothes or being more easily able to find clothes you enjoy wearing. It's totally vain, sure, but I like vintage clothes and it's much easier to find stuff that looks good at a thinner weight than I am now (I'm a 4-6 US sizes, based on current sizes, but also 5'3).

Beyond that, I had no health issues but certainly worried about developing them, and I feel far better when I'm really active and find it more enjoyable to be active when I'm lighter, as I tend to be more energetic, recover quicker, etc. I'm also interesting in gaining muscle in part for looks but in part because there are some benefits to having some strength (saying this as someone who has never been particularly strong and likes being able to carry things).

Aw thanks o:)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

I think you're projecting a bit here. My husband has no clue, or interest in his body fat percentage. The reason why he dropped a few pounds recently is because weight/health stats are now tied to our health insurance, and we're fined if our numbers aren't what they want them to be. We were being penalized $500 a year because of my husband's cholesterol numbers, so he lost the weight to avoid another fine. Besides that he could care less about his weight/stomach/looks :p I don't know-he's got a great job, a super hot wife :D , he has friends, hobbies, is confident and outgoing, and he has no problem walking around without a shirt on, even without defined abs.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll have the confidence to be a snide science jerk in public when I'm at goal weight.
    I can probably find a lot of bad science at local gyms.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :( wow i seriously should get down my expectation because of some things i've being reading here, not that i think that once i reach my goal weight everything would be rainbows and butterfly but damn i must believe i dont know that maybe some aspect of my life are gonna improve or something..

i would say is that every path of each of us is different, i see many of you who have accomplish their goal weight but in my case my goal weight is like double the amount many of you have lost, i think that losing 150 lbs are gonna have a significant impact in my life, specially when you've being obese your whole life, since day one, i don't have a minimum idea what normal weight/ bmi feels like

things like wearing a bikini for the very first time, the airline seat belt fitting you for the first time, not having to limit your shopping to the plus size department for the first time -_-, men who wouldn't dare to look at you before; asking you out now,not being always the biggest person in the room, that sort of things not everyone have experience it.

ok ok my bad i thought i was gonna find much more exiting answer than the whole oh well "i'm just me" and it's all the same

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have reached goal...

No problems...

Totally disagree with this statement.

People may be happier because they have energy, don't feel sick so much anymore, can move around without feeling like they are dying, feel proud, feel empowered, feel more in control, feel encouraged, or celebrated (self). I think that parts of self- image might not change but heck, I will not be afraid to leave my house because I don't want people to notice how fat I got. So, I think for every downer thing that you believe is true for yourself an opposite experience happens for someone else. I think both sides are important to the discussion however. Perhaps, what is self-esteem and self-image and how can we improve our mindset to increase our positive feelings about ourselves... :)
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    :( wow i seriously should get down my expectation because of some things i've being reading here, not that i think that once i reach my goal weight everything would be rainbows and butterfly but damn i must believe i dont know that maybe some aspect of my life are gonna improve or something..

i would say is that every path of each of us is different, i see many of you who have accomplish their goal weight but in my case my goal weight is like double the amount many of you have lost, i think that losing 150 lbs are gonna have a significant impact in my life, specially when you've being obese your whole life, since day one, i don't have a minimum idea what normal weight/ bmi feels like

things like wearing a bikini for the very first time, the airline seat belt fitting you for the first time, not having to limit your shopping to the plus size department for the first time -_-, men who wouldn't dare to look at you before; asking you out now,not being always the biggest person in the room, that sort of things not everyone have experience it.

ok ok my bad i thought i was gonna find much more exiting answer than the whole oh well "i'm just me" and it's all the same

There are people who want some extra weight gone but don't feel generally unhappy because of it. Some have loved ones, children, nice jobs or lack of need for one and lost weight is really mostly a health and vanity improvement for them. And then there are people like me and you (from the sound of your post) that find the weight to be a terrible obstacle in all areas of our lives. Since it's such a big problem, obviously it being gone will bring a tremendous change. It won't solve all the problems but the change will be very hard not to notice.