deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    • long term use of certain medications, including statins and antidepressants
    And excess and long-term refined sugar intake.

Nope.
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues (NOT that any refined sugar intake at all is a problem). The link you provided proves that point. The From that very link:
    The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks
    Note, that says sugar-sweetened beverages should be avoided to PREVENT diabetes, not simply to manage one's existing diabetes.

In fact, the ADA source you linked supports the idea that long term and (not or) excess refined sugar intake can cause diabetes. It supports the intake of sugars and desserts in moderated amounts as part of a balanced diet and specifically tells people to avoid drinks with high added sugar contents.

you left off this little caveat at the end of the list:
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

so they are recommended to be avoided to keep blood sugar down and avoid a mass dose of calories in one serving, not just because they have sugar.
    Well, they raise blood sugar because they have added sugar... I mean you can't get sugar from no sugar, right? And consistently (and artificially) elevated blood sugar levels are a risk factor for diabetes for those who currently do not have the disease.

I have no quarrel with CICO - in fact, I believe in it. The point I was making is simply that added sugars in excess amounts ARE a risk factor in diabetes and other metabolic troubles, not that it is the only factor, nor that no added sugar should be consumed whatsoever if one hopes to avoid these diseases, nor any insane thing of that sort. That consumption of added sugars in high amounts long term is a factor is supported by the American Diabetes Association.

OK but my point is they are not saying avoid it JUST because of sugar….
    A fact I acknowledged at the very outset - by saying that high amounts of added sugar was a risk factor rather than a cause of disease. But in case I didn't make it clearer, yes, I agree that they are not saying to avoid sugary drinks ONLY because of sugar.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The point here is excess of sugar consumption isn't simply because because of the excess sugar itself, but also because it can cause one to consume excess of other foods, thus increasing overall calorie intake. Eating too many apples or too many oranges don't generally cause people to want to chow down on a pizza as well.

Neither does eating some ice cream, IME, or putting some (gasp!) added sugar in a rhubarb sauce or eating some flavored yogurt.

And the WHO does not claim otherwise.
    I never said anything against "some" added sugars. We're - I am at least - talking about long term, sustained excess.

does eating a chocolate bar every night count as long term sustained excess?

Depends on the size of your chocolate bar, but if it's the usual size serving as part of a balanced diet, not only is it not excess, chocolate can in fact be beneficial to your health.

It's a full serving of cadbury milk chocolate...and yes it is beneficial as I don't feel the over whelming desire to kill.... :D

I am over my sugar macro everyday due to my fruits, milk, juice and chocolate...I am not a diabetic so I have no reason to avoid it.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues (NOT that any refined sugar intake at all is a problem). The link you provided proves that point. The From that very link:
    The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks
    Note, that says sugar-sweetened beverages should be avoided to PREVENT diabetes, not simply to manage one's existing diabetes.

In fact, the ADA source you linked supports the idea that long term and (not or) excess refined sugar intake can cause diabetes. It supports the intake of sugars and desserts in moderated amounts as part of a balanced diet and specifically tells people to avoid drinks with high added sugar contents.

These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

so they are recommended to be avoided to keep blood sugar down and avoid a mass dose of calories in one serving, not just because they have sugar.
    Well, they raise blood sugar because they have added sugar... I mean you can't get sugar from no sugar, right? And consistently (and artificially) elevated blood sugar levels are a risk factor for diabetes for those who currently do not have the disease.

I have no quarrel with CICO - in fact, I believe in it. The point I was making is simply that added sugars in excess amounts ARE a risk factor in diabetes and other metabolic troubles, not that it is the only factor, nor that no added sugar should be consumed whatsoever if one hopes to avoid these diseases, nor any insane thing of that sort. That consumption of added sugars in high amounts long term is a factor is supported by the American Diabetes Association.

A fact I acknowledged at the very outset - by saying that high amounts of added sugar was a risk factor rather than a cause of disease. But in case I didn't make it clearer, yes, I agree that they are not saying to avoid sugary drinks ONLY because of sugar.

Would the OP's sugar intake, based on her post, be seen as excessive, and thereby be putting her at risk for disease? It seems the tangents of sugars increasing risks of disease that the OP never mentioned, caused her to abandon this thread. I wonder if she ever found a useful answer to her particular question?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Oh anti-sugar crusaders? I once got a heaping whack of sugar on a day where I ate no fruit. No added refined sugar. I was over my MFP limits.

How did this happen. There was one single food in my diary that had the most grams of sugar. Guess what it was.

I think, in your zealotry to rail against sugar, you have failed to help the OP by bringing in such issues as refined sugars, excess consumption of said refined sugars, insulin resistance, and diabetes.

Well done derailing the thread.

She just wanted to know if she could eat fruit. You didn't even ask about her health status before you went off on a pet topic.

Nicely played.

Now guess the mystery, sugar-laden food item from my day.
    I'm going to guess Greek yogurt.

And imo, OP is fine with her fruit.

No, it was not that or any other dairy product.

Since no one else is playing...

It was cauliflower. 10 grams of sugar.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hmmm this is kind of fun.

Spaghetti sauce?
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks

Would the OP's sugar intake, based on her post, be seen as excessive, and thereby be putting her at risk for disease? It seems the tangents of sugars increasing risks of disease that the OP never mentioned, caused her to abandon this thread. I wonder if she ever found a useful answer to her particular question?
    For the record, no I don't think there's anything to worry about in OP's diet which goes over sugars due to fruits.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Spaghetti sauce?

I edited in the answer. It was cauliflower. And this brings us back to the OP and MFP's sugar allowance and how you can go over.

I had sugars in my foods that day from plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and vegetables. And I was over my sugar allowance. The biggest hit was a very large serving of cauliflower.

The problem in this thread is that a lot of people saw the word "sugar" and had a knee-jerk reaction and started going off and didn't read the original post critically.

The poster isn't consuming EXCESS refined sugar.

She's eating a few pieces of fruit.

(I know you know this ceoverturf, but what happened to this thread is annoying in the extreme.)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks

For the record, no I don't think there's anything to worry about in OP's diet which goes over sugars due to fruits.

Then why on God's green earth are you here preaching about the evils of excess sugar intake? No one here is advocating for excess sugar intake, or excess food intake, period. If one is otherwise meeting their other macronutrient needs, is eating at maintenance or below by monitoring their overall caloric intake, then they're not intaking excess anything, right? Is anyone here saying "OMG I totes only eat doughnuts and Twinkies all day and everyone on this board should do the exact thing because it's perfectly healthy!"

No? No one is saying that. The anti-sugar brigade on a calorie-counting website is useless (aside from going around humble bragging about their nutritional superiority). We are all keeping sugar intake low because we are counting calories. Prolonged and excess calorie intake, no matter the source, will eventually lead to obesity, which can in turn lead to heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Christ.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited June 2015
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks

Then why on God's green earth are you here preaching about the evils of excess sugar intake? No one here is advocating for excess sugar intake, or excess food intake, period. If one is otherwise meeting their other macronutrient needs, is eating at maintenance or below by monitoring their overall caloric intake, then they're not intaking excess anything, right? Is anyone here saying "OMG I totes only eat doughnuts and Twinkies all day and everyone on this board should do the exact thing because it's perfectly healthy!"

No? No one is saying that. The anti-sugar brigade on a calorie-counting website is useless (aside from going around humble bragging about their nutritional superiority). We are all keeping sugar intake low because we are counting calories. Prolonged and excess calorie intake, no matter the source, will eventually lead to obesity, which can in turn lead to heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Christ.

Maybe it will sink in this time....

But probably not
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks

Christ.

Maybe it will sink in this time....

But probably not

Nah, doubtful.

At least I tried!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Spaghetti sauce?

I edited in the answer. It was cauliflower. And this brings us back to the OP and MFP's sugar allowance and how you can go over.

I had sugars in my foods that day from plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and vegetables. And I was over my sugar allowance. The biggest hit was a very large serving of cauliflower.

The problem in this thread is that a lot of people saw the word "sugar" and had a knee-jerk reaction and started going off and didn't read the original post critically.

The poster isn't consuming EXCESS refined sugar.

She's eating a few pieces of fruit.

(I know you know this ceoverturf, but what happened to this thread is annoying in the extreme.)

If you want to start a "cauliflower is da debil" thread I'm on board for shenanigans!
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't generally look at the sugar content of anything. If you have steady energy throughout the day then what you are doing is working for you. Personally I look for Protein and Fiber when I make my meal plans. I feel great through out the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I was browsing google scholar and came across this:
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10408390802248569

if anyone has a link to the full text study that would be greatly appreciated….
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Though you can intake too much sugar eating fruits, I don't see how you can have a problem while you are actively trying to loose weight. I don't generally look at the sugar content of anything. If you have steady energy throughout the day then what you are doing is working for you. Personally I look for Protein and Fiber when I make my meal plans. I feel great through out the day and don't feel food deprived.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The point here is excess of sugar consumption isn't simply because because of the excess sugar itself, but also because it can cause one to consume excess of other foods, thus increasing overall calorie intake. Eating too many apples or too many oranges don't generally cause people to want to chow down on a pizza as well.

Neither does eating some ice cream, IME, or putting some (gasp!) added sugar in a rhubarb sauce or eating some flavored yogurt.

I never said anything against "some" added sugars. We're - I am at least - talking about long term, sustained excess.

Depends on the size of your chocolate bar, but if it's the usual size serving as part of a balanced diet, not only is it not excess, chocolate can in fact be beneficial to your health.

Not the crap you see at the checkout line in the supermarket. That stuff is not beneficial.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Not the crap you see at the checkout line in the supermarket. That stuff is not beneficial.

Chocolate is never crap, just saying.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

Here's the entire document on sugar guidelines by the WHO, telling you how much sugar you should consume and why.
    Could you read through it and show me the part where it says sugar is bad for your health?

That was a trick question, because it doesn't.
    It can cause holes in your teeth if your dental hygiene isn't good enough and it can make you gain weight if it makes your total calorie intake too high.
    That's it.
    Wait a minute. YOU just pointed out where it says sugar is bad. At the minimum, the WHO guideline, even according to you, indicates that sugars can be a risk factor, even if not the only factor promoting weight gain. If free sugars (as the WHO document refers to it) is one of the factors that can cause one to overeat (even if it isn't the sugar they are overeating), then moderating its intake is in fact beneficial to health and weight.

The truth is, with respect to diets, different things work for different folk. If one is to follow CICO, then one has to acknowledge that there are different ways to reduce calorie intake, and if sugar is a factor that causes one to overeat (i.e. increase calorie intake), then reducing sugar intake may be their ticket to reducing calories-in, and thus weight loss.
    None of that says sugar is bad. Excess is bad. Like literally everything, if eaten in excess it can cause problems. Instead of sugar it could have said lemons and oranges. They're also bad for your teeth in excess and can have too much calories if you eat a bunch of them.
    That's the thing, sugar is painted as some sort of "culprit", the source of all our problems. Over and over again.
    It's not.
    Scientific studies don't characterize things as "good" or "bad" because those words are value judgments, not facts. The point here is excess of sugar consumption isn't simply problematic because of the excess sugar itself, but also because it can cause one to consume excess of other foods, thus increasing overall calorie intake. Eating too many apples or too many oranges don't generally cause people to want to chow down on a pizza as well.

Neither does a snickers.
  • stevencloser
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues (NOT that any refined sugar intake at all is a problem). The link you provided proves that point. From that very link:
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks

Have you read it? It specifically lists that sugar doesn't cause diabetes, just that consumption of sugar sweetened beverages in particular (no other food things, just drinks with sugar in it) is correlated with diabetes. A phrase whose underlying truth that can range from something like the connection betweeen the amount of people swimming and ice cream sales being correlated to possible causation.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Someone is full of opinions tonight… @ihatetodietalways
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I'm going to hate myself for this but @stevencloser , perhaps you can confirm this for me...

Aren't most of the findings on SSB following from either the cohort studies (which are correlational and more likely to be related to consumption with calorie-dense and/or fast food) and studies done with straight glucose beverages in amounts unlikely to be consumed normally?

I have no idea.
This discussion has been closed.