Options

Replies

• deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    • long term use of certain medications, including statins and antidepressants
    And excess and long-term refined sugar intake.

Nope.
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues (NOT that any refined sugar intake at all is a problem). The link you provided proves that point. From that very link:
    The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks
    Note, that says sugar-sweetened beverages should be avoided to PREVENT diabetes, not simply to manage one's existing diabetes.

In fact, the ADA source you linked supports the idea that long term and (not or) excess refined sugar intake can cause diabetes. It supports the intake of sugars and desserts in moderated amounts as part of a balanced diet and specifically tells people to avoid drinks with high added sugar contents.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Eric7259 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

OP has not ID'd a medical condition so this is not necessary for her.

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.

There are hundreds of other sources. Look it up.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

Just because what you do works for you does not mean it works for most people.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone spouts debatable information and then expects someone to go find where they got that information from. It's not our responsibility to search for sources you should have at hand if you're willing to start a debate.

More than just a pet peeve...it's completely against how debating works...on the internet or otherwise.

You make the claim, you back it up.

For example: source for the above claim... http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/CHAPTER_5_ARGUMENTS_EXPERIENCE/Burden-of-Proof.htm

Here is one by a CARDIOLOGIST. I am not going to direct you to every video and web site that says refined sugar is bad for you. There are hundreds of them and they are easy to find.

On the other hand, you can not find a single credible video that says refined sugar is good for you and there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Burden of proof is on you, not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDDLypjo5FI
    There's a funny thing about cardiologists. You might not know this but they work on hearts, not nutrition. A cardiologist knows as much about nutrition as your average high school student.

dr oz comes to mind...

@Eric7259 would you let a cardiologist operate on your brain? I assume no, so why would you take nutrition advice from one?

preach.....when I had to see every doctor under the sun during the kidney donation process to give one to my dad, the nephrologist had a chocolate bar in hand every single time I saw him. Since he's a doctor and obviously advocates regular consumption of processed sugars, they must be good for you......but wait....if a cardiologist says they're bad and a nephrologist says they're good....who wins?

LOL

the guy that did my thyroid surgery about five years ago was eating a brownie right before the surgery..I was pissed because I could not eat a damn thing since the night before and my surgery got delayed until like two in the afternoon…you wanna talk about hungry….

so I guess that means sugar is good because endocrinologists eat brownies...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

Here's the entire document on sugar guidelines by the WHO, telling you how much sugar you should consume and why.
    Could you read through it and show me the part where it says sugar is bad for your health?

That was a trick question, because it doesn't.
    It can cause holes in your teeth if your dental hygiene isn't good enough and it can make you gain weight if it makes your total calorie intake too high.
    That's it.
    Wait a minute. YOU just pointed out where it says sugar is bad. At the minimum, the WHO guideline, even according to you, indicates that sugars can be a risk factor, even if not the only factor promoting weight gain. If free sugars (as the WHO document refers to it) is one of the factors that can cause one to overeat (even if it isn't the sugar they are overeating), then moderating its intake is in fact beneficial to health and weight.

The truth is, with respect to diets, different things work for different folk. If one is to follow CICO, then one has to acknowledge that there are different ways to reduce calorie intake, and if sugar is a factor that causes one to overeat (i.e. increase calorie intake), then reducing sugar intake may be their ticket to reducing calories-in, and thus weight loss.
    None of that says sugar is bad. Excess is bad. Like literally everything, if eaten in excess it can cause problems. Instead of sugar it could have said lemons and oranges. They're also bad for your teeth in excess and can have too much calories if you eat a bunch of them.
    That's the thing, sugar is painted as some sort of "culprit", the source of all our problems. Over and over again.
    It's not.
    Scientific studies don't characterize things as "good" or "bad" because those words are value judgments, not facts. The point here is excess of sugar consumption isn't simply problematic because of the excess sugar itself, but also because it can cause one to consume excess of other foods, thus increasing overall calorie intake. Eating too many apples or too many oranges don't generally cause people to want to chow down on a pizza as well.

wait, so sugar makes you want pizza?

I just want pizza because it is freaking awesome….
  • deaniac83
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The point here is excess of sugar consumption isn't simply because because of the excess sugar itself, but also because it can cause one to consume excess of other foods, thus increasing overall calorie intake. Eating too many apples or too many oranges don't generally cause people to want to chow down on a pizza as well.

Neither does eating some ice cream, IME, or putting some (gasp!) added sugar in a rhubarb sauce or eating some flavored yogurt.

And the WHO does not claim otherwise.
    I never said anything against "some" added sugars. We're - I am at least - talking about long term, sustained excess.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The point here is excess of sugar consumption isn't simply because because of the excess sugar itself, but also because it can cause one to consume excess of other foods, thus increasing overall calorie intake. Eating too many apples or too many oranges don't generally cause people to want to chow down on a pizza as well.

Neither does eating some ice cream, IME, or putting some (gasp!) added sugar in a rhubarb sauce or eating some flavored yogurt.

I never said anything against "some" added sugars. We're - I am at least - talking about long term, sustained excess.

What qualifies as sustained excess? Is there a definite value? Or is this another strawman, claiming that anyone who goes over their sugar allotment for the day surely eats only twinkies?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

In fact, the ADA source you linked supports the idea that long term and (not or) excess refined sugar intake can cause diabetes. It supports the intake of sugars and desserts in moderated amounts as part of a balanced diet and specifically tells people to avoid drinks with high added sugar contents.

Then I guess I don't know what your quarrel is.

No one is advocating eating excessive anything (sugar included).

Some people on this thread and on mfp ( not necessarily you) can't seem to realize that there are more options than "excessive" and "none"
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues (NOT that any refined sugar intake at all is a problem). The link you provided proves that point. The From that very link:
    The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks
    Note, that says sugar-sweetened beverages should be avoided to PREVENT diabetes, not simply to manage one's existing diabetes.

you left off this little caveat at the end of the list:
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

so they are recommended to be avoided to keep blood sugar down and avoid a mass dose of calories in one serving, not just because they have sugar.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hate myself for this but @stevencloser , perhaps you can confirm this for me...

Aren't most of the findings on SSB following from either the cohort studies (which are correlational and more likely to be related to consumption with calorie-dense and/or fast food) and studies done with straight glucose beverages in amounts unlikely to be consumed normally?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

Here's the entire document on sugar guidelines by the WHO, telling you how much sugar you should consume and why.
    Could you read through it and show me the part where it says sugar is bad for your health?

That was a trick question, because it doesn't.
    It can cause holes in your teeth if your dental hygiene isn't good enough and it can make you gain weight if it makes your total calorie intake too high.
    That's it.
    Wait a minute. YOU just pointed out where it says sugar is bad. At the minimum, the WHO guideline, even according to you, indicates that sugars can be a risk factor, even if not the only factor promoting weight gain. If free sugars (as the WHO document refers to it) is one of the factors that can cause one to overeat (even if it isn't the sugar they are overeating), then moderating its intake is in fact beneficial to health and weight.

The truth is, with respect to diets, different things work for different folk. If one is to follow CICO, then one has to acknowledge that there are different ways to reduce calorie intake, and if sugar is a factor that causes one to overeat (i.e. increase calorie intake), then reducing sugar intake may be their ticket to reducing calories-in, and thus weight loss.
    None of that says sugar is bad. Excess is bad. Like literally everything, if eaten in excess it can cause problems. Instead of sugar it could have said lemons and oranges. They're also bad for your teeth in excess and can have too much calories if you eat a bunch of them.
    That's the thing, sugar is painted as some sort of "culprit", the source of all our problems. Over and over again.
    It's not.
    Scientific studies don't characterize things as "good" or "bad" because those words are value judgments, not facts. The point here is excess of sugar consumption isn't simply problematic because of the excess sugar itself, but also because it can cause one to consume excess of other foods, thus increasing overall calorie intake. Eating too many apples or too many oranges don't generally cause people to want to chow down on a pizza as well.

wait, so sugar makes you want pizza?

I just want pizza because it is freaking awesome….

Ditto
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

You're the only one. Everyone else is talking about sugar in moderation and within a healthy diet that meets macro and micronutrient goals.

But you know, keep on going I guess.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

There is also correlation (not proven causation but there are more studies all of the time) that environmental factors such as higher than normal amounts of arsenic and certain herbicides and pesticides also may have an effect.

I guess you did not get the part about how fasting blood sugar misses true diabetics or at least the pre-diabetics. After heart disease, diabetes is the most common ailment in the US. I don't know where you live. And, diabetes is a heavy risk factor for heart disease and cancer.

Also, when you tax your pancreas (the organ that makes insulin) with a lot of sugar, it releases a lot of insulin to take care of glucose because the glucose in the blood is BAD. After a while of this (i don't know how long, but it most likely will happen because we do have a lot of diabetics) the cells taking in glucose tell the insulin to get lost, we don't want any more. So? Glucose stays in blood, and it gets high. This is real, please educate yourself.

@ihatetodietalways Oh my word.

The only people who have to be worried about sugar are those with diabetes, hypoglycemia, hyperinsulinemia, insulin resistance, etc. What you are failing to realize is that a MAJORITY of people do not have those conditions. People with a normal functioning pancreas do not overproduce insulin. Blood glucose does not spike high. That only happens in individuals with impaired glucose/insulin production.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Why? I can't see the relevance to the thread topic or what anyone has been saying.

Are you under the misimpression that people have been arguing in favor of "long term, sustained excess" or that OP, in eating a banana and some strawberries, is engaging in such?
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

OP has not ID'd a medical condition so this is not necessary for her.

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.

There are hundreds of other sources. Look it up.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

Just because what you do works for you does not mean it works for most people.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone spouts debatable information and then expects someone to go find where they got that information from. It's not our responsibility to search for sources you should have at hand if you're willing to start a debate.

More than just a pet peeve...it's completely against how debating works...on the internet or otherwise.

You make the claim, you back it up.

For example: source for the above claim... http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/CHAPTER_5_ARGUMENTS_EXPERIENCE/Burden-of-Proof.htm

Here is one by a CARDIOLOGIST. I am not going to direct you to every video and web site that says refined sugar is bad for you. There are hundreds of them and they are easy to find.

On the other hand, you can not find a single credible video that says refined sugar is good for you and there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Burden of proof is on you, not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDDLypjo5FI
    There's a funny thing about cardiologists. You might not know this but they work on hearts, not nutrition. A cardiologist knows as much about nutrition as your average high school student.

dr oz comes to mind...

@Eric7259 would you let a cardiologist operate on your brain? I assume no, so why would you take nutrition advice from one?

preach.....when I had to see every doctor under the sun during the kidney donation process to give one to my dad, the nephrologist had a chocolate bar in hand every single time I saw him. Since he's a doctor and obviously advocates regular consumption of processed sugars, they must be good for you......but wait....if a cardiologist says they're bad and a nephrologist says they're good....who wins?

LOL

the guy that did my thyroid surgery about five years ago was eating a brownie right before the surgery..I was pissed because I could not eat a damn thing since the night before and my surgery got delayed until like two in the afternoon…you wanna talk about hungry….

so I guess that means sugar is good because endocrinologists eat brownies...

yep. that's 2 of our professionals to his 1.

I had to stop solid foods by 10 am but was allowed liquid or "creamed" things right up to 10 pm the night before my 8:30 am surgery as long as there was nothing solid in it at all. Of course, that equaled watching TV in my hotel room with a 2 liter of Chocolate Ice cream and some peanut butter mixed in. my dad was allowed solids until 10 pm and tried to act like it was some sort of big secret he had to keep from me or I might feel bad because he was allowed normal food....to which I said "Of course you are. You're a diabetic who has to eat regularly so you don't end up in a coma, and you're not allowed liquids because you're on dialysis and you'll wreck your kidneys and bloat to the size of a beluga. Yes. I'm so jealous of you and your solid food."
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

does eating a chocolate bar every night count as long term sustained excess?
  • deaniac83
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues (NOT that any refined sugar intake at all is a problem). The link you provided proves that point. The From that very link:
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks

These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

so they are recommended to be avoided to keep blood sugar down and avoid a mass dose of calories in one serving, not just because they have sugar.
    Well, they raise blood sugar because they have added sugar... I mean you can't get sugar from no sugar, right? And consistently (and artificially) elevated blood sugar levels are a risk factor for diabetes for those who currently do not have the disease.

I have no quarrel with CICO - in fact, I believe in it. The point I was making is simply that added sugars in excess amounts ARE a risk factor in diabetes and other metabolic troubles, not that it is the only factor, nor that no added sugar should be consumed whatsoever if one hopes to avoid these diseases, nor any insane thing of that sort. That consumption of added sugars in high amounts long term is a factor is supported by the American Diabetes Association.
  • ndj1979
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues .

well I have been eating sugar for 36 years and my blood work is still coming back nearly perfect ….
  • deaniac83
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

does eating a chocolate bar every night count as long term sustained excess?

Depends on the size of your chocolate bar, but if it's the usual size serving as part of a balanced diet, not only is it not excess, chocolate can in fact be beneficial to your health.
  • ndj1979
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks

Well, they raise blood sugar because they have added sugar... I mean you can't get sugar from no sugar, right? And consistently (and artificially) elevated blood sugar levels are a risk factor for diabetes for those who currently do not have the disease.

I have no quarrel with CICO - in fact, I believe in it. The point I was making is simply that added sugars in excess amounts ARE a risk factor in diabetes and other metabolic troubles, not that it is the only factor, nor that no added sugar should be consumed whatsoever if one hopes to avoid these diseases, nor any insane thing of that sort. That consumption of added sugars in high amounts long term is a factor is supported by the American Diabetes Association.

OK but my point is they are not saying avoid it JUST because of sugar….

• deaniac83
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

Nope.
    Let me first reiterate what I said - that long term AND excess refined sugar intake can cause medical issues .

well I have been eating sugar for 36 years and my blood work is still coming back nearly perfect ….

Yes, so you have addressed only one part of that equation - the long term part. I said long term AND excess - meaning that both conditions have to be satisfied for it to be a medical risk factor. You have been eating sugar for 36 years (I have been alive a smaller period so I have been eating it for a smaller period), but according to your current food diary, you are mostly UNDER your sugar goals, meaning you are NOT eating sugar in excess.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Oh anti-sugar crusaders? I once got a heaping whack of sugar on a day where I ate no fruit. No added refined sugar. I was over my MFP limits.

How did this happen. There was one single food in my diary that had the most grams of sugar. Guess what it was.

I think, in your zealotry to rail against sugar, you have failed to help the OP by bringing in such issues as refined sugars, excess consumption of said refined sugars, insulin resistance, and diabetes.

Well done derailing the thread.

She just wanted to know if she could eat fruit. You didn't even ask about her health status before you went off on a pet topic.

Nicely played.

Now guess the mystery, sugar-laden food item from my day.
    I'm going to guess Greek yogurt.

And imo, OP is fine with her fruit.
This discussion has been closed.