Options
    Quantity never did = quality.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Authority nutrition...webmd....YouTube....blogs

We're getting some quality stuff here

If you have better info then bring it on.

The topic is excessive sugar added to food being good to avoid in a nutritional diet

Where is that even remotely like rocket science?

Every major hospital has a blog.

American cancer institute, AMA, on and on...

So they are discredited for having a blog? Come on man...

I have an open mind if you have something stating added sugar calories equal good nutritional value.

You can post the nutritional breakdown of a sugar molecule and then of any of the food options in the MFP Blog that is so bad.

Back up just one instance of a food they cite being inferior to table sugar. If it is such junk science and rubbish, it should be easy for you to run it down.

AMA

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/news/news/2012-06-20-ama-policy-addresses-obesity.page

Prostate Cancer? You want increased risk of that? Really?

http://www.pcf.org/atf/cf/{7c77d6a2-5859-4d60-af47-132fd0f85892}/NUTRITION-EXERCISE-AND-PROSTATE-CANCER.PDF

Heart risks

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars-Add-to-Your-Risk-of-Dying-from-Heart-Disease_UCM_460319_Article.jsp#mainContent
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The topic is excessive sugar added to food being good to avoid in a nutritional diet

Reread the OP. Not sure why you think that's the topic.

Also, I don't think anyone disagrees that it's good to avoid "excessive sugar." We are disagreeing, perhaps, on what excessive sugar is. For example, I think including some added sugar to a diet that is overall balanced and filling and meets nutrient needs and does not contain excessive calories is just fine. I've not seen anything from a reputable source that says otherwise.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I have an open mind if you have something stating added sugar calories equal good nutritional value.

You can post the nutritional breakdown of a sugar molecule and then of any of the food options in the MFP Blog that is so bad.

Back up just one instance of a food they cite being inferior to table sugar. If it is such junk science and rubbish, it should be easy for you to run it down.

AMA

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/news/news/2012-06-20-ama-policy-addresses-obesity.page

http://www.pcf.org/atf/cf/{7c77d6a2-5859-4d60-af47-132fd0f85892}/NUTRITION-EXERCISE-AND-PROSTATE-CANCER.PDF

Heart risks

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars-Add-to-Your-Risk-of-Dying-from-Heart-Disease_UCM_460319_Article.jsp#mainContent

The topic is actually if going over sugars because of fruit is okay...

The AMA link: Cool. So if we all just stop drinking soda there will be no more obesity, right? No? Oh. Because it's more than just sugary sodas that causes obesity? Yes? Oh.

Prostate cancer: Who has ever said to eat excess sugar?? Moderation is always endorsed. No one is saying EAT ALL OF THE SUGARZ! Not once.

Heart Association: Again, excess. Which no one is endorsing.

Unless you see someone who is saying to eat excessive amounts of sugar?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Reread the OP. Not sure why you think that's the topic.

Also, I don't think anyone disagrees that it's good to avoid "excessive sugar." We are disagreeing, perhaps, on what excessive sugar is. For example, I think including some added sugar to a diet that is overall balanced and filling and meets nutrient needs and does not contain excessive calories is just fine. I've not seen anything from a reputable source that says otherwise.
    Yeah, that's some Grade A Large question-begging right there.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is sugar from fruit excessive?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Anything is bad in excess.............especially derp
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

AMA

Heart risks

The topic is actually if going over sugars because of fruit is okay...

The AMA link: Cool. So if we all just stop drinking soda there will be no more obesity, right? No? Oh. Because it's more than just sugary sodas that causes obesity? Yes? Oh.

Prostate cancer: Who has ever said to eat excess sugar?? Moderation is always endorsed. No one is saying EAT ALL OF THE SUGARZ! Not once.

Heart Association: Again, excess. Which no one is endorsing.

Unless you see someone who is saying to eat excessive amounts of sugar?

Yup
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really hope the OP got something out of this.

That she should worry because her sugar is over 24g based on two or so servings of fruit?

Sigh.

But based on that you know she can't maintain a deficit, overeats sugary sweets, should probably do a low carb diet, and likely has diabetes. Good for you.

I'm getting so tired of posts that assume everyone should act as if they have diabetes even when we know we do not and are not insulin resistant, and I am similarly tired of posts that assume everyone eats sugar immoderately or has some reason to cut it out or owes their weight issues to sugar. (And many of us aren't overweight anymore or are very successfully losing despite our approaches--various as they are--to sugar.)

Seems to me that maybe you are looking for a scapegoat and can't accept that people gain weight from eating too much, but too much of all kinds of different foods, depending on the person.

You are putting words in my mouth. Stop that. I did not say OP is diabetic. We should all be mindful. It is just a friendly warning.
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    • long term use of certain medications, including statins and antidepressants

There is also correlation (not proven causation but there are more studies all of the time) that environmental factors such as higher than normal amounts of arsenic and certain herbicides and pesticides also may have an effect.

I guess you did not get the part about how fasting blood sugar misses true diabetics or at least the pre-diabetics. After heart disease, diabetes is the most common ailment in the US. I don't know where you live. And, diabetes is a heavy risk factor for heart disease and cancer.

Also, when you tax your pancreas (the organ that makes insulin) with a lot of sugar, it releases a lot of insulin to take care of glucose because the glucose in the blood is BAD. After a while of this (i don't know how long, but it most likely will happen because we do have a lot of diabetics) the cells taking in glucose tell the insulin to get lost, we don't want any more. So? Glucose stays in blood, and it gets high. This is real, please educate yourself.

I read that part and it does not change my statement. Eating carbs doe NOT cause insulin resistance. Yes, the a1c is the best test for catching early blood sugar issues and should be done more often so people who are tending towards those problems can deal with them. The causes are the same no matter if it is detected early or not, and eating carbs is NOT a cause.

I have educated myself thoroughly since I was diagnosed T2Dm 18 months ago. My doctor is a Certified Diabetic Educator and has given me a wealth of information, all of which says that eating carbs does not cause diabetes. Other factors cause it and reducing carbs is the main treatment for anyone that has blood glucose issues. By reducing mine to a max of 180 g a day, I have successfully reduced my a1c to normal levels.

I think you are the one that needs a more well rounded education on the subject.

No, it is the insulin response.

Well that settles it...I'm convinced

(OK not really)

I know. He keeps describing the disease itself thinking that the symptoms are the cause.

Please read up on low carb diets and diabetics. Just to prove me wrong.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

Consider yourself proven wrong.

ADA is a joke. A serious diabetologist laughs at their guidelines.
  • mantium999
    Options

That she should worry because her sugar is over 24g based on two or so servings of fruit?

Sigh.

But based on that you know she can't maintain a deficit, overeats sugary sweets, should probably do a low carb diet, and likely has diabetes. Good for you.

I'm getting so tired of posts that assume everyone should act as if they have diabetes even when we know we do not and are not insulin resistant, and I am similarly tired of posts that assume everyone eats sugar immoderately or has some reason to cut it out or owes their weight issues to sugar. (And many of us aren't overweight anymore or are very successfully losing despite our approaches--various as they are--to sugar.)

Seems to me that maybe you are looking for a scapegoat and can't accept that people gain weight from eating too much, but too much of all kinds of different foods, depending on the person.

You are putting words in my mouth. Stop that. I did not say OP is diabetic. We should all be mindful. It is just a friendly warning.

There are lots of things to be mindful of. Forcing a tangent that is known to be contentious helps the op how?
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Sigh.

There are lots of things to be mindful of. Forcing a tangent that is known to be contentious helps the op how?

I was hoping we would be having an intelligent discussion.
  • mantium999
    Options

Sigh.

We could also discuss the intellectual dispute about carb blocking supplements as a solution to the the op going over on sugars via the consumption of fruit, but why complicate things that aren't necessary in the context of their particular question?
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

Here's the entire document on sugar guidelines by the WHO, telling you how much sugar you should consume and why.
    Could you read through it and show me the part where it says sugar is bad for your health?

That was a trick question, because it doesn't.
    It can cause holes in your teeth if your dental hygiene isn't good enough and it can make you gain weight if it makes your total calorie intake too high.
    That's it.
    Wait a minute. YOU just pointed out where it says sugar is bad. At the minimum, the WHO guideline, even according to you, indicates that sugars can be a risk factor, even if not the only factor promoting weight gain. If free sugars (as the WHO document refers to it) is one of the factors that can cause one to overeat (even if it isn't the sugar they are overeating), then moderating its intake is in fact beneficial to health and weight.

The truth is, with respect to diets, different things work for different folk. If one is to follow CICO, then one has to acknowledge that there are different ways to reduce calorie intake, and if sugar is a factor that causes one to overeat (i.e. increase calorie intake), then reducing sugar intake may be their ticket to reducing calories-in, and thus weight loss.
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options
    Every day I go way over on my sugar. 98% of it is from fresh fruits. Today I am already over by 24g.have a lot of sugar but most of it is from 1 banana at 14 g and strawberry salad from Wendys at 13 g. Can this sugar be ignored in the counter? If not how can you possibly stay under the daily intake of 24g.

Hi, sorry about all this. What I would recommend is to take one fruit out of your daily diet regimen. In my opinion, veggies are also a great source of carbs and have great nutrients. But, maybe you don't like veggies. Not sure what you mean by sugar being ignored in the counter?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Sigh.

We could have if instead of posting youtube videos you'd start showing actual studies, and actually talking points instead of saying the goshdarn diabetes association is "a joke" and that (of course unnamed, uncited, unsourced) "serious diabetologists" laugh at them. As it stands, you're going to be treated like a troll.
  • mantium999
    Options
    Every day I go way over on my sugar. 98% of it is from fresh fruits. Today I am already over by 24g.have a lot of sugar but most of it is from 1 banana at 14 g and strawberry salad from Wendys at 13 g. Can this sugar be ignored in the counter? If not how can you possibly stay under the daily intake of 24g.

Hi, sorry about all this. What I would recommend is to take one fruit out of your daily diet regimen. In my opinion, veggies are also a great source of carbs and have great nutrients. But, maybe you don't like veggies. Not sure what you mean by sugar being ignored in the counter?

Also, to the op, how do your other macros look, and are you hitting your calorie target? If you're blowing your calorie goal, but hitting your protein and fat targets, then yes, you might just be eating too much fruit. If you are still within your calorie target, and hitting your protein and fat goals, than maybe your carb target is set too low?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

Here's the entire document on sugar guidelines by the WHO, telling you how much sugar you should consume and why.
    Could you read through it and show me the part where it says sugar is bad for your health?

That was a trick question, because it doesn't.
    It can cause holes in your teeth if your dental hygiene isn't good enough and it can make you gain weight if it makes your total calorie intake too high.
    That's it.
    Wait a minute. YOU just pointed out where it says sugar is bad. At the minimum, the WHO guideline, even according to you, indicates that sugars can be a risk factor, even if not the only factor promoting weight gain. If free sugars (as the WHO document refers to it) is one of the factors that can cause one to overeat (even if it isn't the sugar they are overeating), then moderating its intake is in fact beneficial to health and weight.

The truth is, with respect to diets, different things work for different folk. If one is to follow CICO, then one has to acknowledge that there are different ways to reduce calorie intake, and if sugar is a factor that causes one to overeat (i.e. increase calorie intake), then reducing sugar intake may be their ticket to reducing calories-in, and thus weight loss.
    None of that says sugar is bad. Excess is bad. Like literally everything, if eaten in excess it can cause problems. Instead of sugar it could have said lemons and oranges. They're also bad for your teeth in excess and can have too much calories if you eat a bunch of them.
    That's the thing, sugar is painted as some sort of "culprit", the source of all our problems. Over and over again.
    It's not.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

But, why? Eating a banana and some strawberries is bad for her health, how? She has no stated medical conditions, so what benefit does she get from taking fruit out of her diet?
This discussion has been closed.