Sugars

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    • long term use of certain medications, including statins and antidepressants

There is also correlation (not proven causation but there are more studies all of the time) that environmental factors such as higher than normal amounts of arsenic and certain herbicides and pesticides also may have an effect.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight

There is also correlation (not proven causation but there are more studies all of the time) that environmental factors such as higher than normal amounts of arsenic and certain herbicides and pesticides also may have an effect.

This...

Plus...no one is saying you HAVE to eat sugar. What people are saying is you don't have to eliminate/cut down specifically sugar.

That is a tremendously unsubtle and important difference.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

I guess you did not get the part about how fasting blood sugar misses true diabetics or at least the pre-diabetics. After heart disease, diabetes is the most common ailment in the US. I don't know where you live. And, diabetes is a heavy risk factor for heart disease and cancer.

Also, when you tax your pancreas (the organ that makes insulin) with a lot of sugar, it releases a lot of insulin to take care of glucose because the glucose in the blood is BAD. After a while of this (i don't know how long, but it most likely will happen because we do have a lot of diabetics) the cells taking in glucose tell the insulin to get lost, we don't want any more. So? Glucose stays in blood, and it gets high. This is real, please educate yourself.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

• genetics
    • excess weight

This...

Plus...no one is saying you HAVE to eat sugar. What people are saying is you don't have to eliminate/cut down specifically sugar.

That is a tremendously unsubtle and important difference.

This, and the point that some stop by to try stating that their sugar reduction, and not the calories reduced as a result of said sugar reduction, are the cause of weight loss. Not once have I seen a person successfully lose weight, in a calorie surplus, because they reduced sugar. Likewise, I have yet to see evidence of a person gaining weight in a caloric deficit, because they consumed too much sugar. Nutritional and medical reasons aside, the end result of weight loss really is consuming fewer calories than your body uses.
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options
    Did anyone say calorie surplus??? I just find it important to talk about the health of what we are eating. Excuse me. Some or most of us who have to lose weight are metabolically broken. So, go and find out for yourself what is wrong. Get of the CICO and look at your health while you lose weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/3/651.short

from the abstract:

Numerous clinical studies have shown that sugar-containing liquids, when consumed in place of usual meals, can lead to a significant and sustained weight loss

so yea you can eat sugar and lose weight.

" Supported by the American Beverage Association, Danone Vitapole, and grant no. 1P20RR020774-01 from the National Institutes of Health for the Exploratory Center for Obesity Research. "

• juggernaut1974
    Options
    Did anyone say calorie surplus??? I just find it important to talk about the health of what we are eating. Excuse me. Some or most of us who have to lose weight are metabolically broken. So, go and find out for yourself what is wrong. Get of the CICO and look at your health while you lose weight.

And here comes the predictable strawman.

Please find me one post where anyone advocated not "looking at your health while you lose weight" (whatever the heck that means)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

from the abstract:

Numerous clinical studies have shown that sugar-containing liquids, when consumed in place of usual meals, can lead to a significant and sustained weight loss

" Supported by the American Beverage Association, Danone Vitapole, and grant no. 1P20RR020774-01 from the National Institutes of Health for the Exploratory Center for Obesity Research. "

the poster asked for a study showing you can lose weight while eating sugar….even though he refused to post anything close to a study about his claims.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

So, if I don't have a medical issue, eat at my calorie target, get sufficient nutrients, and hit my protein and fat goals, do I get extra points by arbitrarily reducing sugar, and giving those calories to protein and fat, which I've already met target on?
  • ndj1979
    Options

why is the fall back always that CICO = not looking out for overall health? Where does that lunacy come from…?
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options

from the abstract:

OMG
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

I guess you did not get the part about how fasting blood sugar misses true diabetics or at least the pre-diabetics. After heart disease, diabetes is the most common ailment in the US. I don't know where you live. And, diabetes is a heavy risk factor for heart disease and cancer.

Also, when you tax your pancreas (the organ that makes insulin) with a lot of sugar, it releases a lot of insulin to take care of glucose because the glucose in the blood is BAD. After a while of this (i don't know how long, but it most likely will happen because we do have a lot of diabetics) the cells taking in glucose tell the insulin to get lost, we don't want any more. So? Glucose stays in blood, and it gets high. This is real, please educate yourself.

I read that part and it does not change my statement. Eating carbs doe NOT cause insulin resistance. Yes, the a1c is the best test for catching early blood sugar issues and should be done more often so people who are tending towards those problems can deal with them. The causes are the same no matter if it is detected early or not, and eating carbs is NOT a cause.

I have educated myself thoroughly since I was diagnosed T2Dm 18 months ago. My doctor is a Certified Diabetic Educator and has given me a wealth of information, all of which says that eating carbs does not cause diabetes. Other factors cause it and reducing carbs is the main treatment for anyone that has blood glucose issues. By reducing mine to a max of 180 g a day, I have successfully reduced my a1c to normal levels.

I think you are the one that needs a more well rounded education on the subject.

• ndj1979
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

So, if I don't have a medical issue, eat at my calorie target, get sufficient nutrients, and hit my protein and fat goals, do I get extra points by arbitrarily reducing sugar, and giving those calories to protein and fat, which I've already met target on?

you get two gold stars.
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

I read that part and it does not change my statement. Eating carbs doe NOT cause insulin resistance. Yes, the a1c is the best test for catching early blood sugar issues and should be done more often so people who are tending towards those problems can deal with them. The causes are the same no matter if it is detected early or not, and eating carbs is NOT a cause.

I have educated myself thoroughly since I was diagnosed T2Dm 18 months ago. My doctor is a Certified Diabetic Educator and has given me a wealth of information, all of which says that eating carbs does not cause diabetes. Other factors cause it and reducing carbs is the main treatment for anyone that has blood glucose issues. By reducing mine to a max of 180 g a day, I have successfully reduced my a1c to normal levels.

I think you are the one that needs a more well rounded education on the subject.

No, it is the insulin response.
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options
    Eric7259 wrote: »
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

OP has not ID'd a medical condition so this is not necessary for her.

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

I enjoy the fact that you use the internet and YouTube as validation, while telling someone to ignore a poster on the internet. Good stuff.

This poster is not an MD, Dietician or Nutritionist, correct?

are you?

Dr. Oz has an MD.

hahahahaha
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

• genetics
    • excess weight

No, it is the insulin response.

Well that settles it...I'm convinced

(OK not really)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

why is the fall back always that CICO = not looking out for overall health? Where does that lunacy come from…?

From the depths of a hell where only the metabolically damned can survive. Lakes of non-diet soda threaten to consume the unworthy, and a sugar-coated Cerberus serves as guardian preventing passage to all those who choose to eat in moderation.
  • ndj1979
    Options

from the abstract:

Wow. A study supporting sugar funded by the soda industry. Now that's credible.

Also it's from 2007. Ancient history.

And your peer reviewed source is where???
This discussion has been closed.