Sugars

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that when I put fruit into my blender the fiber doesn't magically disappear into thin air. Could be wrong, though.
    Maybe the blender breaks it down so much as to render it ineffective? Do you have a Vitamix?

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

You're confusing blending with juicing. A juicer removes the fiber, a blender does not. And unless you have a medical issue, like you do with T2, sugar isn't a big deal, processed or natural.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to track sugars; unless, of course, your sugar consumption puts you into a caloric surplus.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

OP has not ID'd a medical condition so this is not necessary for her.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing and coincidental that most people who fear monger and claim added/processed sugars are evil are members who don't have profile pictures, have nothing on their profile and obviously haven't been here long. It's like they join just so they can spew crap like this.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing and coincidental that most people who fear monger and claim added/processed sugars are evil are members who don't have profile pictures, have nothing on their profile and obviously haven't been here long. It's like they join just so they can spew crap like this.

And never link any of the research they reference
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Eric7259 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

I enjoy the fact that you use the internet and YouTube as validation, while telling someone to ignore a poster on the internet. Good stuff.
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Options

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you have a target of 244 you haven't rerun your goals for over a year.

At 1200 cals the sugar allowance is 48g ie 15% of calories. That's enough for a sensible sugar intake from typical fruit & veg intake.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    24 grams not 244 sorry can't edit on phone
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I suggest viewing a youtube video or internet article on how to vet reliable sources.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

I enjoy the fact that you use the internet and YouTube as validation, while telling someone to ignore a poster on the internet. Good stuff.

This poster is not an MD, Dietician or Nutritionist, correct?

are you?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.

There are hundreds of other sources. Look it up.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

Just because what you do works for you does not mean it works for most people.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone spouts debatable information and then expects someone to go find where they got that information from. It's not our responsibility to search for sources you should have at hand if you're willing to start a debate.
  • ndj1979
    Options

There are hundreds of other sources. Look it up.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

Just because what you do works for you does not mean it works for most people.

Nope, does not work that way. You are making the ridiculous claims so it is on you to backup said claims. If the information is as accessible as you say it is then you should have no problem locating a peer reviewed subject on the matter.

Or, as I suspect, you have zero clue as to what you are claiming.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Actually, I've been reading these posts for a long time. Finally decided to join. Enough is enough.

so this thread, not the thousands of other sugar threads, spawned you into action?? Isn't that special...
This discussion has been closed.