juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eric7259 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

OP has not ID'd a medical condition so this is not necessary for her.

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.

There are hundreds of other sources. Look it up.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

Just because what you do works for you does not mean it works for most people.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone spouts debatable information and then expects someone to go find where they got that information from. It's not our responsibility to search for sources you should have at hand if you're willing to start a debate.

More than just a pet peeve...it's completely against how debating works...on the internet or otherwise.

You make the claim, you back it up.

For example: source for the above claim... http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/CHAPTER_5_ARGUMENTS_EXPERIENCE/Burden-of-Proof.htm
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

Nope, does not work that way. You are making the ridiculous claims so it is on you to backup said claims. If the information is as accessible as you say it is then you should have no problem locating a peer reviewed subject on the matter.

Or, as I suspect, you have zero clue as to what you are claiming.

No you are making a ridiculous claim.

Please direct me to a video or article by an MD, dietician or nutritionist that says refined sugar is good for you, and that there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Crickets...

Who says they're "good" for you? They're not good or bad (well, they taste good), they just ARE.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My dietitian steers me away from blended drinks, not because of the action of the blender or that the sugars are somehow transmogrified in to something less healthy. It's because those sneaky drinks can quickly add up to a lot more calories. Consider how long it takes to munch on a single apple. One apple, one serving, eaten at a decent rate. Now convert four apples in to a smoothie. Gulp. Done.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Nope, does not work that way. You are making the ridiculous claims so it is on you to backup said claims. If the information is as accessible as you say it is then you should have no problem locating a peer reviewed subject on the matter.

Please direct me to a video or article by an MD, dietician or nutritionist that says refined sugar is good for you, and that there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Crickets...

LOL really? So you are saying that you can eat refined sugar, be in a calorie deficit, and NOT lose weight? Is that your argument, really?

bahahahahahahahahaha

FYI - You need to cut back on ALL calories to lose weight.

• ndj1979
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/3/651.short

from the abstract:

Numerous clinical studies have shown that sugar-containing liquids, when consumed in place of usual meals, can lead to a significant and sustained weight loss

so yea you can eat sugar and lose weight.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    when the sugar is from fruit I tend to ignore the amount of sugar, but I do know when I watched my sugar level and kept well below my quota I always lost weight plus it makes me stop craving more sugar. Its a matter of personal preference though :smile: At the end of the day its CICO that works for weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Crickets...

LOL really? So you are saying that you can eat refined sugar, be in a calorie deficit, and NOT lose weight? Is that your argument, really?

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Most people fail at dieting, whether they count calories or don't count calories. Just because it's easy for you and others who post here to be in a calorie deficit does not mean it is easy for others. In fact, it is very difficult.

So you project your success onto others and tell them not to worry about refined sugar. Just cut ALL calories.

Sorry, but the first thing you should cut back on to try to maintain a calorie deficit is refined sugar, because it is a junk substance with no nutritional benefit that provides no satiety. Again, I'm not saying to never have it.

The best example is Coke (drink water, unsweetened tea or Diet Coke instead). Another great example is a 10 oz. glass of orange juice (eat an orange instead, which has far fewer calories, plus fiber). Is a cream-filled donut the best way to start your day? I don't think so, unless you want to be starved in a few hours.

now, you are moving the goal posts. We are talking about sugar, and your ridiculous claims.

You specifically insinuated that one must cut down on refined sugar in order to lose weight and that is totally bogus, and you know it.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Most people fail at dieting, whether they count calories or don't count calories. Just because it's easy for you and others who post here to be in a calorie deficit does not mean it is easy for others. In fact, it is very difficult.

So you project your success onto others and tell them not to worry about refined sugar. Just cut ALL calories.

Sorry, but the first thing you should cut back on to try to maintain a calorie deficit is refined sugar, because it is a junk substance with no nutritional benefit that provides no satiety. Again, I'm not saying to never have it.

The best example is Coke (drink water, unsweetened tea or Diet Coke instead). Another great example is a 10 oz. glass of orange juice (eat an orange instead, which has far fewer calories, plus fiber). Is a cream-filled donut the best way to start your day? I don't think so, unless you want to be starved in a few hours.

And it sounds like you are projecting a bit as well, no? Sorry you can't have a donut in the morning and feel full for more than a few hours. But that doesn't mean no one can or should. What if my donut has fiber? Does that make it okay? I'm pretty sure they have fat as well, especially if they are cream filled. So...what's the magical cutoff for macros in foods to make them acceptable?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone spouts debatable information and then expects someone to go find where they got that information from. It's not our responsibility to search for sources you should have at hand if you're willing to start a debate.

More than just a pet peeve...it's completely against how debating works...on the internet or otherwise.

For example: source for the above claim... http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/CHAPTER_5_ARGUMENTS_EXPERIENCE/Burden-of-Proof.htm

Here is one by a CARDIOLOGIST. I am not going to direct you to every video and web site that says refined sugar is bad for you. There are hundreds of them and they are easy to find.

On the other hand, you can not find a single credible video that says refined sugar is good for you and there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Burden of proof is on you, not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDDLypjo5FI

And since I haven't made any claims re: sugar on this thread you would (once again) be wrong
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Here is one by a CARDIOLOGIST. I am not going to direct you to every video and web site that says refined sugar is bad for you. There are hundreds of them and they are easy to find.

On the other hand, you can not find a single credible video that says refined sugar is good for you and there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

There's a funny thing about cardiologists. You might not know this but they work on hearts, not nutrition. A cardiologist knows as much about nutrition as your average high school student.
  • ndj1979
    Options

There's a funny thing about cardiologists. You might not know this but they work on hearts, not nutrition. A cardiologist knows as much about nutrition as your average high school student.

dr oz comes to mind...

@Eric7259 would you let a cardiologist operate on your brain? I assume no, so why would you take nutrition advice from one?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @eric7259 , 1/4 cup orange juice, just fine.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/149782/1/9789241549028_eng.pdf?ua=1

Here's the entire document on sugar guidelines by the WHO, telling you how much sugar you should consume and why.
    Could you read through it and show me the part where it says sugar is bad for your health?

That was a trick question, because it doesn't.
    It can cause holes in your teeth if your dental hygiene isn't good enough and it can make you gain weight if it makes your total calorie intake too high.
    That's it.
    That's the only two valid reasons that the people in a position to make a guideline like that on reducing sugar intake came up with.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Still haven't taken my suggestion on learning proper sources huh?
This discussion has been closed.