mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Eric7259 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

OP has not ID'd a medical condition so this is not necessary for her.

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

I enjoy the fact that you use the internet and YouTube as validation, while telling someone to ignore a poster on the internet. Good stuff.

This poster is not an MD, Dietician or Nutritionist, correct?

are you?

Dr. Oz has an MD.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

you need to worry about processed sugars because you have a medical condition....

There are hundreds of articles on the internet and hundreds of videos on YouTube (many by MD's dieticians and nutritionists) explaining why the totally empty calories of refined sugar are bad for you. Try Sugar and Cancer, or Sugar and Type 2 diabetes, or Sugar and Obesity, etc.

And if your having trouble meeting your caloric goal (like most people), greatly reducing refined sugar and replacing it with fat should help you meet those goals.

Don't take it from me (not an MD, dietician or nutritionist). Do your own due diligence. And please don't listen to some random poster who implies that sugar is just wonderful.

One of hundreds - http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.

There are hundreds of other sources. Look it up.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

Just because what you do works for you does not mean it works for most people.

Nope, does not work that way. You are making the ridiculous claims so it is on you to backup said claims. If the information is as accessible as you say it is then you should have no problem locating a peer reviewed subject on the matter.

Or, as I suspect, you have zero clue as to what you are claiming.

No you are making a ridiculous claim.

Please direct me to a video or article by an MD, dietician or nutritionist that says refined sugar is good for you, and that there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Crickets...

LOL really? So you are saying that you can eat refined sugar, be in a calorie deficit, and NOT lose weight? Is that your argument, really?

bahahahahahahahahaha

FYI - You need to cut back on ALL calories to lose weight.

Review session -

Most people fail at dieting, whether they count calories or don't count calories. Just because it's easy for you and others who post here to be in a calorie deficit does not mean it is easy for others. In fact, it is very difficult.

So you project your success onto others and tell them not to worry about refined sugar. Just cut ALL calories.

Sorry, but the first thing you should cut back on to try to maintain a calorie deficit is refined sugar, because it is a junk substance with no nutritional benefit that provides no satiety. Again, I'm not saying to never have it.

The best example is Coke (drink water, unsweetened tea or Diet Coke instead). Another great example is a 10 oz. glass of orange juice (eat an orange instead, which has far fewer calories, plus fiber). Is a cream-filled donut the best way to start your day? I don't think so, unless you want to be starved in a few hours.

And it sounds like you are projecting a bit as well, no? Sorry you can't have a donut in the morning and feel full for more than a few hours. But that doesn't mean no one can or should. What if my donut has fiber? Does that make it okay? I'm pretty sure they have fat as well, especially if they are cream filled. So...what's the magical cutoff for macros in foods to make them acceptable?

Don't listen to me.

Someone walks into a dietician's office or nutritionist's office and needs to lose 75 lbs. Does the dietician assume that the person is eating too much fish, chicken and steak, or too much refined garbage that is loaded with sugar, along with garbage that is mostly sugar? Take a guess.

The blowback here is unbelievable. This could be the only weight loss site on the planet where most posters tell you to not to worry about sugar. Just cut back an ALL calories - "NO BIG DEAL. I CAN DO IT SO YOU CAN DO IT."

Personally, I went into a calorie deficit not by counting calories, but by going on a low-refined sugar, low-carb from grains, high fat regimen (not a diet). And I only needed to eat at meal times.

There is a low-carb (and presumably low-sugar) group on this site with thousands of members. I'm not the only one.

Questioning your statements isn't blowback. It's a conversation. When you talk to people in real life, do you just make statements and then run away before they can respond?

No one here will say that someone wanting to cut down on their sugar consumption because it helps them create a calorie deficit is wrong, or that they should eat sugar just because they can.

It's when people like you come in and say that we MUST cut down on sugar to lose weight that it becomes a problem. Because it just ain't true.
  • mantium999
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

why don't you go ahead and link to a peer reviewed source, which authority nutrition is not.

I eat all kinds of sugar and I am a ten year cancer survivor, and every year at my physical my blood work comes back nearly perfect.

Did you ever think that cancer might be linked to obesity and obese people tend to consume more sugar because they are obese?

There are a thousand different factors that go into what causes cancer and trying to isolate one is idiotic.

To tell people who are struggling with weight loss and having difficulty meeting calorie limits (and the vast majority fail at dieting whether they count calories or don't count calories) to just continue to eat and drink something that provides no satiety and is not healthy, is absurd. I'm not saying to give up refined sugar. I'm not saying to give up anything. Just cut way back.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone spouts debatable information and then expects someone to go find where they got that information from. It's not our responsibility to search for sources you should have at hand if you're willing to start a debate.

More than just a pet peeve...it's completely against how debating works...on the internet or otherwise.

You make the claim, you back it up.

For example: source for the above claim... http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/CHAPTER_5_ARGUMENTS_EXPERIENCE/Burden-of-Proof.htm

Here is one by a CARDIOLOGIST. I am not going to direct you to every video and web site that says refined sugar is bad for you. There are hundreds of them and they are easy to find.

On the other hand, you can not find a single credible video that says refined sugar is good for you and there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Burden of proof is on you, not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDDLypjo5FI
    There's a funny thing about cardiologists. You might not know this but they work on hearts, not nutrition. A cardiologist knows as much about nutrition as your average high school student.

dr oz comes to mind...

@Eric7259 would you let a cardiologist operate on your brain? I assume no, so why would you take nutrition advice from one?

Shoot, you beat me to it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone spouts debatable information and then expects someone to go find where they got that information from. It's not our responsibility to search for sources you should have at hand if you're willing to start a debate.

More than just a pet peeve...it's completely against how debating works...on the internet or otherwise.

For example: source for the above claim... http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/CHAPTER_5_ARGUMENTS_EXPERIENCE/Burden-of-Proof.htm

Here is one by a CARDIOLOGIST. I am not going to direct you to every video and web site that says refined sugar is bad for you. There are hundreds of them and they are easy to find.

On the other hand, you can not find a single credible video that says refined sugar is good for you and there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

There's a funny thing about cardiologists. You might not know this but they work on hearts, not nutrition. A cardiologist knows as much about nutrition as your average high school student.

Keep coming back at me. I'll just keep coming back with more evidence.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20130114/sugar-excess-weight

Now, if you could post a single credible source, that would be fancy, unfortunately you don't.
    But don't worry, I already did for you a bit above this post. Read through it if you like.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Nope, does not work that way. You are making the ridiculous claims so it is on you to backup said claims. If the information is as accessible as you say it is then you should have no problem locating a peer reviewed subject on the matter.

Please direct me to a video or article by an MD, dietician or nutritionist that says refined sugar is good for you, and that there is no need to cut back if you are trying to lose weight.

Crickets...

LOL really? So you are saying that you can eat refined sugar, be in a calorie deficit, and NOT lose weight? Is that your argument, really?

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Most people fail at dieting, whether they count calories or don't count calories. Just because it's easy for you and others who post here to be in a calorie deficit does not mean it is easy for others. In fact, it is very difficult.

So you project your success onto others and tell them not to worry about refined sugar. Just cut ALL calories.

Sorry, but the first thing you should cut back on to try to maintain a calorie deficit is refined sugar, because it is a junk substance with no nutritional benefit that provides no satiety. Again, I'm not saying to never have it.

The best example is Coke (drink water, unsweetened tea or Diet Coke instead). Another great example is a 10 oz. glass of orange juice (eat an orange instead, which has far fewer calories, plus fiber). Is a cream-filled donut the best way to start your day? I don't think so, unless you want to be starved in a few hours.

And it sounds like you are projecting a bit as well, no? Sorry you can't have a donut in the morning and feel full for more than a few hours. But that doesn't mean no one can or should. What if my donut has fiber? Does that make it okay? I'm pretty sure they have fat as well, especially if they are cream filled. So...what's the magical cutoff for macros in foods to make them acceptable?

Don't listen to me.

Someone walks into a dietician's office or nutritionist's office and needs to lose 75 lbs. Does the dietician assume that the person is eating too much fish, chicken and steak, or too much refined garbage that is loaded with sugar, along with garbage that is mostly sugar? Take a guess.

The blowback here is unbelievable. This could be the only weight loss site on the planet where most posters tell you to not to worry about sugar. Just cut back an ALL calories - "NO BIG DEAL. I CAN DO IT SO YOU CAN DO IT."

Personally, I went into a calorie deficit not by counting calories, but by going on a low-refined sugar, low-carb from grains, high fat regimen (not a diet). And I only needed to eat at meal times.

There is a low-carb (and presumably low-sugar) group on this site with thousands of members. I'm not the only one.

LOL yea, go over to the LC group and burry your head in the sand, please do.

I would hope that said dietician would evaluate their entire diet and find out how many calories they are consuming on a daily basis and then work backward from there in reducing intake.

And people cant get fat from eating too much chicken, steak, and fish, really? Ever heard of KFC or long john silvers?

• ndj1979
    Options

Keep coming back at me. I'll just keep coming back with more evidence.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20130114/sugar-excess-weight

do you know what a peer reviewed source is?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Don't listen to me.

Any health care professional operating on assumptions isn't much of a professional.

I think what you're receiving as 'blowback' is just a bunch of people that have had success in achieving and maintaining fitness goals without feeling the need to track sugar... because (unless you have a medical condition) you really don't need to.

But, public forum... feel free to demonize and fear monger.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I enjoy the fact that you use the internet and YouTube as validation, while telling someone to ignore a poster on the internet. Good stuff.

This poster is not an MD, Dietician or Nutritionist, correct?

are you?

Dr. Oz has an MD.

touché
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Don't listen to me.

I would hope that said dietician would evaluate their entire diet and find out how many calories they are consuming on a daily basis and then work backward from there in reducing intake.

And people cant get fat from eating too much chicken, steak, and fish, really? Ever heard of KFC or long john silvers?

I wish I could find a picture that was in our biology textbook.
    A really fat person sitting on a table with a whole bunch of food.
    Not a single processed food in sight but easily 5000+ calories on it.

A Maß of beer, a big roast with gravy, sauerkraut, klöße and a bunch of other stuff.
    German food, man.
  • mantium999
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Don't listen to me.

Interestingly that group is private. I guess it's only there to help those who already believe. Shouldn't truth be available to all, and be capable of standing up to critical debate with factual support and evidence?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Don't listen to me.

A Maß of beer, a big roast with gravy, sauerkraut, klöße and a bunch of other stuff.
    German food, man.

I used to have a link to an article from a clean eater who got fat eating almost 100% clean foods...

I wish I still had it ..

and agree on the german food...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Don't listen to me.

German food, man.

Went to a great German bar in Austin, TX (Easy Tiger, I believe) and pigged out an tons of awesome food. Easily the highest calorie meal I had the whole time I was there and I ate at all the *kitten* food trucks in the city. A ton of awesome brats and mustards and krauts will do the trick as much as ein berliner...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Don't listen to me.

German food, man.

Went to a great German bar in Austin, TX (Easy Tiger, I believe) and pigged out an tons of awesome food. Easily the highest calorie meal I had the whole time I was there and I ate at all the *kitten* food trucks in the city. A ton of awesome brats and mustards and krauts will do the trick as much as ein berliner...

what, no peeps???????????????
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing and coincidental that most people who fear monger and claim added/processed sugars are evil are members who don't have profile pictures, have nothing on their profile and obviously haven't been here long. It's like they join just so they can spew crap like this.

Actually, I've been reading these posts for a long time. Finally decided to join. Enough is enough.

Fantastic. Just what this forum needed.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Crickets...

bahahahahahahahahaha

Review session -

Don't listen to me.

If the dietician is remotely competent, he or she should not assuming any of the above, but actually TALK to the person about their diet and perhaps have them log.

I was 75 lbs overweight (I've lost 95 lbs, in fact), and yet I didn't eat all that much sugar and on the whole have not lost weight based on cutting sugar (although I do probably eat overall less because I've been working on my emotional eating issues). The bigger culprits for me were restaurant meals (not fast food, and regular looking meals, just with more calories and extras than home cooked meals), the idea that going out to eat was a special occasion when I did it a few times a week, and in particular my reliance on ordering Indian when working late (which I do a lot). There wasn't a lot of sugar in the Indian food, I don't think.

If I'd just cut back on dessert it wouldn't have addressed my food issues and I'd still be fat.

But enjoy your scapegoat.

Also, what's particularly funny, is that none of your posts have a thing to do with OP's question and your various assumptions about her (that she can't stick to her calories, is eating absurd amounts of "refined sugar" do not appear to be true).

Great, but why is what worked for you what should work for everyone else? I have no interest in a low carb or high fat diet. I don't feel good eating high fat, and the carbs I eat are for the most part healthy for me, I think. And, sure, I enjoy ice cream, etc., and seem to have no problems eating it in moderation (curry, on the other hand, I still struggle with, because it's so delicious).

In another thread people are getting all huffy claiming that low carb evangelism is not a thing, but it obviously is.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My dietitian steers me away from blended drinks, not because of the action of the blender or that the sugars are somehow transmogrified in to something less healthy. It's because those sneaky drinks can quickly add up to a lot more calories. Consider how long it takes to munch on a single apple. One apple, one serving, eaten at a decent rate. Now convert four apples in to a smoothie. Gulp. Done.

Apple is great. Apple juice is terrible.

Orange is great. Orange juice is terrible.

It takes four oranges to make 8 oz. of orange juice. Anyone eating four oranges at breakfast?

I could easily eat 4 oranges at breakfast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @eric7259 , 1/4 cup orange juice, just fine.
    Who drinks a 1/4 cup of orange juice?

I did. For years. Because I read labels. This is the size of a juice cup from my childhood. 1/4 cup of orange juice is not terrible.

il_340x270.708415543_e846.jpg

For other reasons, I no longer drink at meals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My dietitian has plastic food. Each is set out to the standard "portion". One food she held up to me was a cube of cheese and asked if I was eating more or less than that? Cheese is a calorie dense food that can get out of hand very quickly. Hence, the check. Too many calories. Is. The. Problem.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    My dietitian steers me away from blended drinks, not because of the action of the blender or that the sugars are somehow transmogrified in to something less healthy. It's because those sneaky drinks can quickly add up to a lot more calories. Consider how long it takes to munch on a single apple. One apple, one serving, eaten at a decent rate. Now convert four apples in to a smoothie. Gulp. Done.

Apple is great. Apple juice is terrible.

Orange is great. Orange juice is terrible.

It takes four oranges to make 8 oz. of orange juice. Anyone eating four oranges at breakfast?

I could easily eat 4 oranges at breakfast.

Also, weren't we talking about smoothies? A smoothie is just the same thing blended up, with all the fiber and everything else.

I happen to find that they aren't as satisfying for me, since it actually does make a difference whether I eat or drink calories psychologically (although I don't drink smoothies very fast), but I don't question the many other people who say they work well for them and are satisfying.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.
This discussion has been closed.