• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    And the specific person I responded to first made a blanket statement that sugar is not bad (again, as opposed to a precise and correct statement that it isn't bad in all quantities.
    No. That's not how it works. Saying that sugar isn't bad doesn't lack precision or correctness. If you want to assert that sugar is bad, you need to define precisely and correctly the parameters in which it is so. If X amount of sugar is bad, it's the X amount, rather than something inherent in the sugar. What's the X amount, then, in your view?
    Yes, that is exactly how it works. You cannot say "my side of the debate doesn't have to be specific but the other side does." If asserting sugar is bad requires defining parameters in which it is so - and I tend to agree that it does so require - asserting it isn't also requires defining parameters for which it isn't so. Otherwise, both are imprecise, inaccurate statements.
    In the absence of a medical condition, if you're staying without your calorie limit, hitting your macros, and getting good coverage on your micros, you're not eating too much sugar. Pretty much like people have written on nearly every page of this thread.
    This is precise and correct. All I'm asking for.
    And the issue is "excess sugar" not "absence of excess sugar" so the burden is on those asserting excess sugar to define what excess means here.
    Well, one may frame the issue as "added sugar consumption is safe", in which case the burden falls to those asserting its safety and thus defining the parameters and quantity of that safe limit - which you just did above. To me, that statement ("added sugar consumption is safe") is a bad scientific statement as the answer to the question "is added sugar consumption safe?" is "it depends on how much and how long."

Did you read the part in Tex's reply where he said "Pretty much like people have written on every page of this thread." Because you just agreed with something that has been repeated on every page of this thread. The same statement that you've been arguing against this whole time. You either didn't read the replies thoroughly, you read what you wanted to read in the replies, or you just wanted to get on your soap box for some reason.

Umm, actually, I always agreed with that statement. But I replied to specific statements with specific comments. It seems you are under the impression that I think all added sugars in all quantities is bad. That isn't true, and I have painstakingly said so again and again. In fact, one of my problems here is that I am being bashed even though I am agreeing with a lot of what is said, simply because I mentioned that sugar can have a negative context (quantity and duration). So no, I don't think I'm the one not reading or that I'm the one demanding a soapbox...

No, you've argued several times in this thread that sugar causes diabetes.

Really? Then PLEASE quote me. I have said multiple times that added sugars (and I have usually been precise to say in high quantities in long term use) consumption is a risk factor of diabetes, not that it causes it. Go ahead, find where I said it causes diabetes rather than that it's a risk factor.
    You know, if you're basically saying the same thing everyone else is saying, yet everyone else seems not to be getting that point, perhaps the issue is your delivery rather than everyone else misunderstanding whatever point you're trying to make.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    just break up already

giphy.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    And the specific person I responded to first made a blanket statement that sugar is not bad (again, as opposed to a precise and correct statement that it isn't bad in all quantities.
    No. That's not how it works. Saying that sugar isn't bad doesn't lack precision or correctness. If you want to assert that sugar is bad, you need to define precisely and correctly the parameters in which it is so. If X amount of sugar is bad, it's the X amount, rather than something inherent in the sugar. What's the X amount, then, in your view?
    Yes, that is exactly how it works. You cannot say "my side of the debate doesn't have to be specific but the other side does." If asserting sugar is bad requires defining parameters in which it is so - and I tend to agree that it does so require - asserting it isn't also requires defining parameters for which it isn't so. Otherwise, both are imprecise, inaccurate statements.
    In the absence of a medical condition, if you're staying without your calorie limit, hitting your macros, and getting good coverage on your micros, you're not eating too much sugar. Pretty much like people have written on nearly every page of this thread.
    And the issue is "excess sugar" not "absence of excess sugar" so the burden is on those asserting excess sugar to define what excess means here.
    Well, one may frame the issue as "added sugar consumption is safe", in which case the burden falls to those asserting its safety and thus defining the parameters and quantity of that safe limit - which you just did above. To me, that statement ("added sugar consumption is safe") is a bad scientific statement as the answer to the question "is added sugar consumption safe?" is "it depends on how much and how long."

Did you read the part in Tex's reply where he said "Pretty much like people have written on every page of this thread." Because you just agreed with something that has been repeated on every page of this thread. The same statement that you've been arguing against this whole time. You either didn't read the replies thoroughly, you read what you wanted to read in the replies, or you just wanted to get on your soap box for some reason.

Umm, actually, I always agreed with that statement. But I replied to specific statements with specific comments. It seems you are under the impression that I think all added sugars in all quantities is bad. That isn't true, and I have painstakingly said so again and again. In fact, one of my problems here is that I am being bashed even though I am agreeing with a lot of what is said, simply because I mentioned that sugar can have a negative context (quantity and duration). So no, I don't think I'm the one not reading or that I'm the one demanding a soapbox...

Really? Then PLEASE quote me. I have said multiple times that added sugars (and I have usually been precise to say in high quantities in long term use) consumption is a risk factor of diabetes, not that it causes it. Go ahead, find where I said it causes diabetes rather than that it's a risk factor.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    • long term use of certain medications, including statins and antidepressants
    And excess and long-term refined sugar intake.
    Here you go...this is where you said it caused it...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    tumblr_inline_n5bvq39rZ31reddj0.gif
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

No this is not how it works. Sugar isn't bad. By your logic, you'd have to say EVERYTHING is bad, because everything has an amount that is going to kill you.

Except that I never said anything about anything being "bad" as a blanket statement. You claimed, in a blanket statement, that it isn't bad (even just now). Blanket statements are bad for debate and need parameters. Saying that "sugar isn't bad" is an inaccurate and imprecise statement does not mean one is saying that "sugar IS bad." This isn't either or.

Oh sorry, by your logic then, you can't say that drinking water is good for you, without mentioning that there's unsafe water in 3rd world countries, if you inhale it you can drown, and excess over a short period of time can lead to dilutional hyponatremia and death, because it would be a blanket statement then.
    Does one REALLY need to mention every single possible exception to something that is in general true?
    Do I have to tell you not to eat 5 pounds of it if I say that sugar isn't bad for you or else you'd think you could go ahead and do that?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    • long term use of certain medications, including statins and antidepressants
    And excess and long-term refined sugar intake.
    Here you go...this is where you said it caused it...

kabooyow.gif
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    In before, "You misunderstood me..."
  • tincanonastring
    Options

6vApA.gif
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

No this is not how it works. Sugar isn't bad. By your logic, you'd have to say EVERYTHING is bad, because everything has an amount that is going to kill you.

Except that I never said anything about anything being "bad" as a blanket statement. You claimed, in a blanket statement, that it isn't bad (even just now). Blanket statements are bad for debate and need parameters. Saying that "sugar isn't bad" is an inaccurate and imprecise statement does not mean one is saying that "sugar IS bad." This isn't either or.

Oh sorry, by your logic then, you can't say that drinking water is good for you, without mentioning that there's unsafe water in 3rd world countries, if you inhale it you can drown, and excess over a short period of time can lead to dilutional hyponatremia and death, because it would be a blanket statement then.
    Does one REALLY need to mention every single possible exception to something that is in general true?
    Do I have to tell you not to eat 5 pounds of it if I say that sugar isn't bad for you or else you'd think you could go ahead and do that?

Here's another one. Peanuts aren't bad for you. Regardless of there being millions of people who could die if they ate one.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

a405cd1846554b92d3829676984a9855.jpg
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

6vApA.gif

Best backpedaling gif ever.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    So, we're to the point where it's all gifs henceforth, correct?

200.gif
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    tumblr_nbb1hvQAwR1rrkahjo3_250.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    So, we're to the point where it's all gifs henceforth, correct?

200.gif

Yes.

J5AEn1F.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    tumblr_m9ri3pvwwU1roa7c8o1_250.gif
  • tincanonastring
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Godwin Sugar...

200.gif

You know, the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) was created to combat the rampant cleanse/detox threads. Maybe we need a similar program for sugar threads...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

200.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread has already reached this point...

200.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    holier_than_thounuts.gif
This discussion has been closed.