Sugars

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    Just how is a posting gifs self-aggrandizing?

Dude throws around big words without actually analyzing what they mean.

Yeah, totally gif time. It's pointless having a discussion that won't be productive.

Actually, I should just Beetlejuice a mod, probably.

@kgeyser this is hopeless.

dumpster-garbage-fire-gif.gif
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    And the specific person I responded to first made a blanket statement that sugar is not bad (again, as opposed to a precise and correct statement that it isn't bad in all quantities.
    No. That's not how it works. Saying that sugar isn't bad doesn't lack precision or correctness. If you want to assert that sugar is bad, you need to define precisely and correctly the parameters in which it is so. If X amount of sugar is bad, it's the X amount, rather than something inherent in the sugar. What's the X amount, then, in your view?
    Yes, that is exactly how it works. You cannot say "my side of the debate doesn't have to be specific but the other side does." If asserting sugar is bad requires defining parameters in which it is so - and I tend to agree that it does so require - asserting it isn't also requires defining parameters for which it isn't so. Otherwise, both are imprecise, inaccurate statements.
    In the absence of a medical condition, if you're staying without your calorie limit, hitting your macros, and getting good coverage on your micros, you're not eating too much sugar. Pretty much like people have written on nearly every page of this thread.
    This is precise and correct. All I'm asking for.
    And the issue is "excess sugar" not "absence of excess sugar" so the burden is on those asserting excess sugar to define what excess means here.
    Well, one may frame the issue as "added sugar consumption is safe", in which case the burden falls to those asserting its safety and thus defining the parameters and quantity of that safe limit - which you just did above. To me, that statement ("added sugar consumption is safe") is a bad scientific statement as the answer to the question "is added sugar consumption safe?" is "it depends on how much and how long."

Did you read the part in Tex's reply where he said "Pretty much like people have written on every page of this thread." Because you just agreed with something that has been repeated on every page of this thread. The same statement that you've been arguing against this whole time. You either didn't read the replies thoroughly, you read what you wanted to read in the replies, or you just wanted to get on your soap box for some reason.

Umm, actually, I always agreed with that statement. But I replied to specific statements with specific comments. It seems you are under the impression that I think all added sugars in all quantities is bad. That isn't true, and I have painstakingly said so again and again. In fact, one of my problems here is that I am being bashed even though I am agreeing with a lot of what is said, simply because I mentioned that sugar can have a negative context (quantity and duration). So no, I don't think I'm the one not reading or that I'm the one demanding a soapbox...

No, you've argued several times in this thread that sugar causes diabetes.

Really? Then PLEASE quote me. I have said multiple times that added sugars (and I have usually been precise to say in high quantities in long term use) consumption is a risk factor of diabetes, not that it causes it. Go ahead, find where I said it causes diabetes rather than that it's a risk factor.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    • long term use of certain medications, including statins and antidepressants
    And excess and long-term refined sugar intake.
    Here you go...this is where you said it caused it...

Lol. Everything listed in the previous quote to mine, despite its poster claiming as causes, are in fact risk factors. Genetics, for example is not a cause of diabetes but a risk factor. I added one factor. None of the other factors will inevitably lead to diabetes, hence they are risk factors. So no, I didn't call it a cause. But somehow, your problem isn't with the other poster calling those "causes" because you know they are really referring to risk factors.

Wow just wow...really....just can't be wrong...well I am glad I got it in black and white for all to see...and just so it doesn't get lost...note the word causes...and you added excess and long term refined sugar intake...

one of my most loved quotes is..."you can be right or you can be happy" I am both today....*blah eatin' grin*

<snip>
    The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight

ETA: you said find where I said "caused" so I did...can't back peddle with implications, inferrances or any other word you want to come up with...you said it was a cause..accept it and move on...and next time don't ask to be proved wrong...if you don't want to be proved wrong...

Actually you didn't even do that. You found where someone else said other things that are really risk factors were "causes." This is SO left to implications and inferences that there is little else it is left to. What isn't left to implications and inferences is your having no problem with that poster but all of it with me.

tumblr_inline_n5clvbB16D1r64lal.gif
    And the specific person I responded to first made a blanket statement that sugar is not bad (again, as opposed to a precise and correct statement that it isn't bad in all quantities.
    No. That's not how it works. Saying that sugar isn't bad doesn't lack precision or correctness. If you want to assert that sugar is bad, you need to define precisely and correctly the parameters in which it is so. If X amount of sugar is bad, it's the X amount, rather than something inherent in the sugar. What's the X amount, then, in your view?
    Yes, that is exactly how it works. You cannot say "my side of the debate doesn't have to be specific but the other side does." If asserting sugar is bad requires defining parameters in which it is so - and I tend to agree that it does so require - asserting it isn't also requires defining parameters for which it isn't so. Otherwise, both are imprecise, inaccurate statements.
    In the absence of a medical condition, if you're staying without your calorie limit, hitting your macros, and getting good coverage on your micros, you're not eating too much sugar. Pretty much like people have written on nearly every page of this thread.
    This is precise and correct. All I'm asking for.
    And the issue is "excess sugar" not "absence of excess sugar" so the burden is on those asserting excess sugar to define what excess means here.
    Well, one may frame the issue as "added sugar consumption is safe", in which case the burden falls to those asserting its safety and thus defining the parameters and quantity of that safe limit - which you just did above. To me, that statement ("added sugar consumption is safe") is a bad scientific statement as the answer to the question "is added sugar consumption safe?" is "it depends on how much and how long."

Did you read the part in Tex's reply where he said "Pretty much like people have written on every page of this thread." Because you just agreed with something that has been repeated on every page of this thread. The same statement that you've been arguing against this whole time. You either didn't read the replies thoroughly, you read what you wanted to read in the replies, or you just wanted to get on your soap box for some reason.

Umm, actually, I always agreed with that statement. But I replied to specific statements with specific comments. It seems you are under the impression that I think all added sugars in all quantities is bad. That isn't true, and I have painstakingly said so again and again. In fact, one of my problems here is that I am being bashed even though I am agreeing with a lot of what is said, simply because I mentioned that sugar can have a negative context (quantity and duration). So no, I don't think I'm the one not reading or that I'm the one demanding a soapbox...

No, you've argued several times in this thread that sugar causes diabetes.

Really? Then PLEASE quote me. I have said multiple times that added sugars (and I have usually been precise to say in high quantities in long term use) consumption is a risk factor of diabetes, not that it causes it. Go ahead, find where I said it causes diabetes rather than that it's a risk factor.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Diabetes Epidemic & You, by Dr. J.R. Kraft. He is a renowned doctor in Chicago and he publishes the fact that fasting glucose can miss 20% of diabetics. Yes. He has looked at 15,000 people from age 3-90. There is a lot of information in this book.
    And there are TONS of papers about low carb diets. Phinney, Volek, Pulmetter, Noakes, Attia, and others are leading the research.
    Stop telling people to eat sugars and instead tell them, go check your fasting insulin with a simple blood test at the doctor. Furthermore, since insulin resistance is a true phenomenon (it is observed before pre-diabetes), we may want to give our pancreas a break and take the carbs slowly. I don't vilify sugar and carbs. There are people who chose to limit them. That is all.

You are equating people with a medical reason for reducing carbs with people who have normal pancreatic function (the majority of the population). They are not the same. Too many carbs does not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. The inability to properly regulate blood glucose is the main SYMPTOM of those medical issues. The causes are many and include:
    • genetics
    • excess weight
    Here you go...this is where you said it caused it...

Lol. Everything listed in the previous quote to mine, despite its poster claiming as causes, are in fact risk factors. Genetics, for example is not a cause of diabetes but a risk factor. I added one factor. None of the other factors will inevitably lead to diabetes, hence they are risk factors. So no, I didn't call it a cause. But somehow, your problem isn't with the other poster calling those "causes" because you know they are really referring to risk factors.

oOOoO.gif

ETA: Stop f***ing up the page 12 gifs!

and to fix my gif screw up here is another one

tumblr_mrbwtublzi1r52he3o1_500.gif

I'm glad to see your above evaluation of yourself. :-) Also, like you, I love filling up forum pages with giant gifs. Thanks for providing some.

2012-12-19-Holier-Than-Thou.jpg

Yay! Right back atcha! See this is why I love this forum. Thank you for saving me the trouble of digging up these gifs for you.

m5u2u3y.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    For example, not knowing how to swim won't cause you to drown - on dry land, for example, as you actually have to be in a body of water to drown - but it is a risk factor.

On the other hand epidemiology suggests being able to swim is strongly associated with drowning.

That's epidemiology for you.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    What's up with these "sugar is the devil" threads, lol, another just came up. I am working on my 3rd Bingo for this week. :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    What's up with these "sugar is the devil" threads, lol, another just came up. I am working on my 3rd Bingo for this week. :)

they all get deleted so new ones keep coming up

the circle of life

on-the-path-unwinding-in-the-circle-of-life.jpg
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    a_560x0.jpg.gif

You know a thread's a mess when you get a gif from Ghost Shark.

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,

kgeyser
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.