Looking for nerd/science answer - losing inches but not really pounds...

Options

Replies

• sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    If you are new to lifting, you can have "newbie gains" but not enough to offset your 1lb/week goal. Women who are eating in a calorie surplus and on a dedicated progressive lifting program can gain .5-1lb/month. So, let's rule out the whole "replacing fat with muscle" argument.

1. Have you taken actual measurements? If not, it could be a bit psychosomatic. It could also be a bit of water retention.
    2. What is your current intake?
    3. How are you logging your intake?

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. If you have been logging what you think should be a pound a week and it's only .25lb/week, adjust your intake accordingly, as your TDEE estimate is likely off.

Are you suggesting I have a psychosomatic tape measure? ;)

All of this info i've mentioned above, also as i weigh 195lbs how far off do you actually think my TDEE is? My MFP is set at 1300 minimum, I earn slightly above this if I walk more & I'm not recording any of my exercise from the gym (nearly 5 hours a week) If I drop my intake any further I'll end up at 1200 (which is the minimum MFP recommends) I don't think that 100 cal's a day will make me drop a further .75 a week, also as I lose weight how can I drop my intake further from this point? say in 30lbs time?
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sticky130 wrote: »
    mcr0980 wrote: »
    You're gaining muscle! It weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Don't be bothered, be happy =p

And what makes you say this?

We're not eating at a surplus, as we keep getting told this is the only way to gain muscle, also I think we're both happy that we're losing inches we would just like a nerd/science answer, one that doesn't contradict everything we've been told!! :)

We're just looking for something a bit more specific...

You and I are definitely on the same page!!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting, you can have "newbie gains" but not enough to offset your 1lb/week goal. Women who are eating in a calorie surplus and on a dedicated progressive lifting program can gain .5-1lb/month. So, let's rule out the whole "replacing fat with muscle" argument.

1. Have you taken actual measurements? If not, it could be a bit psychosomatic. It could also be a bit of water retention.

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. If you have been logging what you think should be a pound a week and it's only .25lb/week, adjust your intake accordingly, as your TDEE estimate is likely off.

All of this info i've mentioned above, also as i weigh 195lbs how far off do you actually think my TDEE is? My MFP is set at 1300 minimum, I earn slightly above this if I walk more & I'm not recording any of my exercise from the gym (nearly 5 hours a week) If I drop my intake any further I'll end up at 1200 (which is the minimum MFP recommends) I don't think that 100 cal's a day will make me drop a further .75 a week, also as I lose weight how can I drop my intake further from this point? say in 30lbs time?

Um, no, I didn't suggest anything of the sort.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    hartmamp wrote: »

1. Yes, actual measurements (although I struggle with the accuracy of this because how can I be sure I'm doing it the exact same way each time?) I also compared photos and there is a noticeable difference, as well as clothes fitting that did not fit before.
    2. I average 1650 calories a day - I say average because some days are less and some are more because I aim for a weekly number.
    3. I log using MFP and I weigh everything I possibly can. Yes, including packaged items that have serving sizes. Yes, in grams. I know all those rules. This isn't one of those posts.

I post this from a different angle than many other MFPer's... I am confident that I am getting smaller, that's not my question. I'm not going to cut my calories much lower (if at all) because I know for me, that's just gonna be too much of a struggle. My question is that from my understanding (previously) was that you cannot build muscle in a deficit. So why isn't my scale dropping when my measurements are?

There seems to be a minor chance that certain individuals who have a high bodyfat % and are new to heavy lifting may be able to achieve fat loss and muscle increase for a short time. This could possssssibly be the case but I'm not really sure yet. But the articles that Morgaath posted seem to indicate that it's not 100% IMpossible. I hesitate to jump on board that this is my answer because although I did start stronglifts about six weeks ago I was not brand new to working out or even strength training, although I was in the BodyPump/lighter weight camp.

Yes, these are "newbie gains" which have been mentioned several times. Enjoy it while it lasts.
  • sticky130
    Options

I think you have missed the tongue in cheek in the reply to this part of your statement :)

The rest though, I would be interested in your opinion now your know the figures :)
  • sticky130
    Options

1. Yes, actual measurements (although I struggle with the accuracy of this because how can I be sure I'm doing it the exact same way each time?) I also compared photos and there is a noticeable difference, as well as clothes fitting that did not fit before.
    2. I average 1650 calories a day - I say average because some days are less and some are more because I aim for a weekly number.
    3. I log using MFP and I weigh everything I possibly can. Yes, including packaged items that have serving sizes. Yes, in grams. I know all those rules. This isn't one of those posts.

I post this from a different angle than many other MFPer's... I am confident that I am getting smaller, that's not my question. I'm not going to cut my calories much lower (if at all) because I know for me, that's just gonna be too much of a struggle. My question is that from my understanding (previously) was that you cannot build muscle in a deficit. So why isn't my scale dropping when my measurements are?

There seems to be a minor chance that certain individuals who have a high bodyfat % and are new to heavy lifting may be able to achieve fat loss and muscle increase for a short time. This could possssssibly be the case but I'm not really sure yet. But the articles that Morgaath posted seem to indicate that it's not 100% IMpossible. I hesitate to jump on board that this is my answer because although I did start stronglifts about six weeks ago I was not brand new to working out or even strength training, although I was in the BodyPump/lighter weight camp.

Yes, these are "newbie gains" which have been mentioned several times. Enjoy it while it lasts.

So are you suggesting, stick with it as it will be like this for a while, and then when the newbie gains bit starts petering off the scale should start shifting? By the way you were the first person that mention newbie gains.

I have lifted on and off for the past 12 months but only just knuckled down and pushed myself regularly.

I definitely fit into the high BF% so I may just fall into this camp that may gain more easily.

It would be good if we could fast forward in time check that what we are doing is all good and just keep the faith :)
  • 3bambi3
    Options

I think you have missed the tongue in cheek in the reply to this part of your statement :)

The rest though, I would be interested in your opinion now your know the figures :)

When I gain and lose the same few pounds over the course of a few weeks, I usually chalk it up to natural fluctuations. Foods, hormones, activity level, are all variables that can affect your body and water retention. I like to use an app like Happy Scale to chart trends so that I don't get lost worrying about a pound here and there. As long as the overall trend is down, I'm happy. Personally (and this is totally anecdotal) when I started SL, I gained about 5 pounds and it stuck around for about 2 months. I stayed to course and the weight steadily came off.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

This. When I plugged your numbers into scooby's calculator, and gave you 1-3 hours of exercise (because Stronglifts is 3xweek), your TDEE is 1854.

With you eating at 1650, you're not really creating much of a deficit.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    mcr0980 wrote: »
    You're gaining muscle! It weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Don't be bothered, be happy =p

The first part of this is untrue. The second part is true.

Muscle = more dense than fat
    Muscle =/= heavier than fat

True but which tastes better?

I like the 80/20 ratio. :)
  • hartmamp
    Options

This. When I plugged your numbers into scooby's calculator, and gave you 1-3 hours of exercise (because Stronglifts is 3xweek), your TDEE is 1854.

I just went to scooby myself and did it agin and got 1980 as my TDEE with 1-3 days so.... Yeah. You did it wrong.

Also I do more than just Stronglifts. I'm in the gym at least 4 days a week, up to 6. But I'm willing to err on the side of caution and use 1-3 days in the Scooby site.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I just went to scooby myself and did it agin and got 1980 as my TDEE with 1-3 days so.... Yeah. You did it wrong.

Also I do more than just Stronglifts. I'm in the gym at least 4 days a week, up to 6. But I'm willing to err on the side of caution and use 1-3 days in the Scooby site.

No, scooby's is sometimes weird, you have to do it two times. I got the same 1850ish tdee on IIFYM for 3 times a week.

Regardless, if you're not losing weight, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

This could either be an issue on the calories in or the calories out side, wrt underlying undiagnosed medical issues.

• hartmamp
    Options

No, scooby's is sometimes weird, you have to do it two times. I got the same 1850ish tdee on IIFYM for 3 times a week.

This could either be an issue on the calories in or the calories out side, wrt underlying undiagnosed medical issues.

My question back to you though is - if I'm not losing weight, why am I getting smaller? That's the root of this thread -- I wasn't looking for help on calories or TDEE considering I'm getting smaller and isn't that what I want?
  • sticky130
    Options

My question back to you though is - if I'm not losing weight, why am I getting smaller? That's the root of this thread -- I wasn't looking for help on calories or TDEE considering I'm getting smaller and isn't that what I want?

I just put mine in as well, 2487 TDEE, I do 40mins 3 times a week heavy lifting, and 2.5hr cardio per week so put moderate. still can't figure out how I'm not in a deficit at 14-1500 cals a day.
  • sticky130
    Options
    Maybe we just have to stick with it, see what happens in a couple of months as nobody really knows enough nerdy science for us!! It's just all hypothesis at the moment.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

How much inch loss have you seen? Is this measured with more than a tape measure?

People are giving you science. I'm sorry it's not the science you want to hear. If the scale's not moving, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

There is a process where you can eat at maintenance and slowly lean out and replace fat with muscle, but it takes a bit longer than since March, I would say. There's a thread in the Maintaining section on it. It's called Body Recomposition.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was reluctant to use a bodybuilding site as a source because of the negative response that usually creates, but since others have brought up Scooby's, according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

You CAN gain muscle and lose fat at the same time
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I just put mine in as well, 2487 TDEE, I do 40mins 3 times a week heavy lifting, and 2.5hr cardio per week so put moderate. still can't figure out how I'm not in a deficit at 14-1500 cals a day.

You have multiple days of non-logging, and days with caloric intakes over 1500 cals. So, perhaps consistency?
  • sticky130
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Actually I have a problem with my diary that is being investigated!! All of my diary has disappeared from Sunday backwards, but I can assure you that it's bang on :) I try to get around 100g of protein a day and then top up on other macro's without going over total calories. Hopefully MFP will fix this issue and then you can go back and check :)

My cals did go over 1500 yesterday as it's linked to my Fibit and ended up covering about 6 miles trust me I don't do that everyday, but overall it was still under what MFP gave me.

Actually on just checking its seems to have come back to Friday yay!! so if you check back before then you will see how consistent it actually is :)

Just checked on the last 7 full days (that I can actually see lol) and the average is 1450
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I was reluctant to use a bodybuilding site as a source because of the negative response that usually creates, but since others have brought up Scooby's, according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

You CAN gain muscle and lose fat at the same time

No one has ever disputed the recomp.