Looking for nerd/science answer - losing inches but not really pounds...

Options

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    closed diary

such mysteries

riddles are abound tonight

Just a few syllables away from being a great haiku.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,106 Member
    Options
    hartmamp wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    If you are new to lifting, you can have "newbie gains" but not enough to offset your 1lb/week goal. Women who are eating in a calorie surplus and on a dedicated progressive lifting program can gain .5-1lb/month. So, let's rule out the whole "replacing fat with muscle" argument.

1. Have you taken actual measurements? If not, it could be a bit psychosomatic. It could also be a bit of water retention.
    2. What is your current intake?
    3. How are you logging your intake?

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. If you have been logging what you think should be a pound a week and it's only .25lb/week, adjust your intake accordingly, as your TDEE estimate is likely off.

This. When I plugged your numbers into scooby's calculator, and gave you 1-3 hours of exercise (because Stronglifts is 3xweek), your TDEE is 1854.

With you eating at 1650, you're not really creating much of a deficit.

I just went to scooby myself and did it agin and got 1980 as my TDEE with 1-3 days so.... Yeah. You did it wrong.

Also I do more than just Stronglifts. I'm in the gym at least 4 days a week, up to 6. But I'm willing to err on the side of caution and use 1-3 days in the Scooby site.

No, scooby's is sometimes weird, you have to do it two times. I got the same 1850ish tdee on IIFYM for 3 times a week.

Regardless, if you're not losing weight, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

This could either be an issue on the calories in or the calories out side, wrt underlying undiagnosed medical issues.

My question back to you though is - if I'm not losing weight, why am I getting smaller? That's the root of this thread -- I wasn't looking for help on calories or TDEE considering I'm getting smaller and isn't that what I want?

How much inch loss have you seen? Is this measured with more than a tape measure?

People are giving you science. I'm sorry it's not the science you want to hear. If the scale's not moving, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

There is a process where you can eat at maintenance and slowly lean out and replace fat with muscle, but it takes a bit longer than since March, I would say. There's a thread in the Maintaining section on it. It's called Body Recomposition.

There are a whole bunch of reasons the scale would not be moving while fat is still coming off. If measurements are going down, fat is coming off. Weight will follow, but not necessarily all at the same time. The most obvious example of this is "whooshes" where a person does not lose weight for a period of time while still maintaining a calorie deficit. Suddenly 4-5 pounds will drop off in a 1-3 day period. This has been observed by reliable people, but the actual process is not clear. It has been a while since I have read up on it, so maybe someone has figured the actual process out. Realize the person asking is not someone who does not measure their intake carefully, they do. They also do not over estimate their calories out based on what they have posted which I will take at face value. Instead I will repeat what I said before, weigh it a horrible way to measure progress in losing fat. Careful body measurements and pictures are far more useful.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

But I thought that was impossible on a deficit?

Depends on timescale. You could eat 30g of protein at each of three meals and have several hours in a surplus while overall for the day in a deficit. Hence the IF protocols.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    If you are new to lifting, you can have "newbie gains" but not enough to offset your 1lb/week goal. Women who are eating in a calorie surplus and on a dedicated progressive lifting program can gain .5-1lb/month. So, let's rule out the whole "replacing fat with muscle" argument.

1. Have you taken actual measurements? If not, it could be a bit psychosomatic. It could also be a bit of water retention.

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. If you have been logging what you think should be a pound a week and it's only .25lb/week, adjust your intake accordingly, as your TDEE estimate is likely off.

This. When I plugged your numbers into scooby's calculator, and gave you 1-3 hours of exercise (because Stronglifts is 3xweek), your TDEE is 1854.

I just went to scooby myself and did it agin and got 1980 as my TDEE with 1-3 days so.... Yeah. You did it wrong.

Also I do more than just Stronglifts. I'm in the gym at least 4 days a week, up to 6. But I'm willing to err on the side of caution and use 1-3 days in the Scooby site.

No, scooby's is sometimes weird, you have to do it two times. I got the same 1850ish tdee on IIFYM for 3 times a week.

This could either be an issue on the calories in or the calories out side, wrt underlying undiagnosed medical issues.

My question back to you though is - if I'm not losing weight, why am I getting smaller? That's the root of this thread -- I wasn't looking for help on calories or TDEE considering I'm getting smaller and isn't that what I want?

How much inch loss have you seen? Is this measured with more than a tape measure?

People are giving you science. I'm sorry it's not the science you want to hear. If the scale's not moving, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

There is a process where you can eat at maintenance and slowly lean out and replace fat with muscle, but it takes a bit longer than since March, I would say. There's a thread in the Maintaining section on it. It's called Body Recomposition.

Actually the only scientific answers I've gotten are good ones -- that I'm losing fat and building muscle is the best thing one could hope for. I am so used to reading this just isn't going to happen that I am still skeptical but I will continue to read more. Also I read a lot on bodybuilding.com and over there, the recomp is known as an extremely difficult feat so I never went to that in my head.

So you can't accept that you're not creating an adequate deficit, and won't answer how many inches you've lost.

Recomp is NOT difficult, it's just a long process.

I totally missed your inches question, wasn't reading close enough. I've lost 2.5 inches off hips, 1.5 off one thigh and 1.25 off the other, and .75 off waist. Nothing off biceps to this point. Those are the only 4 places I measured to start off.

Wanted to add -- I wouldn't give a damn about my deficit if I could continue to lose inches the way I have so I'm not sure why you're dwelling on that so much. IF (big if) the answer is that by continuing this way I will lose more inches, then I'd choose that and throw out the scale. I never said I cared about what the scale says .... Was just curious as to why.

IF you're recomping, and that's a big IF.... recomp will only shrink you so far. Measuring yourself with a tape measure is unreliable over so short an amount of time, because of issues with body/tape placement.

Agreed on that damn tape measure. So on summary from our discussion, you'd recommend that if the scale doesn't drop, it's likely I won't continue with loss of inches because over time, the deficit simply must not be large enough? That's what I am afraid of because obviously, who wants to eat less? The scale isn't always the best but it also doesn't lie for months at a time.

You said you lost 5 pounds. A 5 pound loss for me would mean losing some inches from my waist and thighs. How is this not the answer instead of muscle gain? Or did you take measurements when you lost the 5 pounds and they are different than today?
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    sticky130 wrote: »
    Actually I have a problem with my diary that is being investigated!! All of my diary has disappeared from Sunday backwards, but I can assure you that it's bang on :) I try to get around 100g of protein a day and then top up on other macro's without going over total calories. Hopefully MFP will fix this issue and then you can go back and check :)

My cals did go over 1500 yesterday as it's linked to my Fibit and ended up covering about 6 miles trust me I don't do that everyday, but overall it was still under what MFP gave me.

Actually on just checking its seems to have come back to Friday yay!! so if you check back before then you will see how consistent it actually is :)

Just checked on the last 7 full days (that I can actually see lol) and the average is 1450

Just a suggestion? Maybe start your own thread? It's getting confusing with two conversations going on.

I answered a question that was directed at me, the OP and myself were working together to get to the bottom of the same issue. What's the point of covering the same ground twice for the same point?

It's the same conversation :)

Your data is different to hers, your circumstances are different to hers, and the answers will be different.

The data may be different but the circumstances are exactly the same, that why we're both looking for the same answer. I have only given specifics about my data if somebody asked for them.

The conditions playing into your circumstances will be different. Your body fat is likely higher. You weigh considerably more than her. Do you train as much? Are you older? There are a lot of variables when it comes to weight loss.

Editing to add: Also? You've established a pattern of loss and now are stalled. The OP is in a different situation.

It's NOT the same thing.

Where is my pattern of loss? I stated that I'd gained and lost the same 4lb since I started lifting several months ago! the only thing I've lost, same as OP is inches.

I was just sticking around in this thread to get to the bottom of my issue, this is the same as the OP regardless of what you think. This is just muddying the water. Can we stick to the issue in hand and drop it please? :).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Actually I have a problem with my diary that is being investigated!! All of my diary has disappeared from Sunday backwards, but I can assure you that it's bang on :) I try to get around 100g of protein a day and then top up on other macro's without going over total calories. Hopefully MFP will fix this issue and then you can go back and check :)

My cals did go over 1500 yesterday as it's linked to my Fibit and ended up covering about 6 miles trust me I don't do that everyday, but overall it was still under what MFP gave me.

Actually on just checking its seems to have come back to Friday yay!! so if you check back before then you will see how consistent it actually is :)

Just checked on the last 7 full days (that I can actually see lol) and the average is 1450

Just a suggestion? Maybe start your own thread? It's getting confusing with two conversations going on.

I answered a question that was directed at me, the OP and myself were working together to get to the bottom of the same issue. What's the point of covering the same ground twice for the same point?

Your data is different to hers, your circumstances are different to hers, and the answers will be different.

The data may be different but the circumstances are exactly the same, that why we're both looking for the same answer. I have only given specifics about my data if somebody asked for them.

The conditions playing into your circumstances will be different. Your body fat is likely higher. You weigh considerably more than her. Do you train as much? Are you older? There are a lot of variables when it comes to weight loss.

I've listed all of the information over the thread, All we're trying to find out is why over several months where we have lifted heavy have we lost inches but barely showing anything on the scale? I do nearly three hours of heavy lifting a week as previously stated. Nobody mentioned age, or BF, how do either of these effect what we're trying to get to the bottom of? If, as previously stated it is possible that at the beginning we can lose fat and gain muscle how can this work for one and not the other?? We are constantly being told that we can't gain muscle in a deficit we were just trying to find out what is making our bodies shrink but not really weigh any less?

There are plenty of reasons you could be barely showing anything on the scale which will have nothing to do with the reasons the OP is showing barely anything on the scale.

Neither of you want to hear them, apparently.

That's cool.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    draekin13 wrote: »
    My guess is that you are turning your fat into lean muscle mass because of the heavy lifting. When I tend to start lifting weights my weight loss slows but I continue to lose inches. I would bet your body fat % is getting lower, that may be how you want to track.

I am 5'2" and started at 149lb. The lowest my scale has shown has been 144lb, but I only saw that number once. I tend to see 145-145.5lb more frequently.

You can add a little muscle while burning some fat as fuel. I have done it but it isn't at the same moment in time. A few diet cardio days and eat break even on a lifting day.

I would not get overly concerned and let it get you off track.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    ajomx0d4f9j3.gif

Cosigned.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

There are a whole bunch of reasons the scale would not be moving while fat is still coming off. If measurements are going down, fat is coming off. Weight will follow, but not necessarily all at the same time. The most obvious example of this is "whooshes" where a person does not lose weight for a period of time while still maintaining a calorie deficit. Suddenly 4-5 pounds will drop off in a 1-3 day period. This has been observed by reliable people, but the actual process is not clear. It has been a while since I have read up on it, so maybe someone has figured the actual process out. Realize the person asking is not someone who does not measure their intake carefully, they do. They also do not over estimate their calories out based on what they have posted which I will take at face value. Instead I will repeat what I said before, weigh it a horrible way to measure progress in losing fat. Careful body measurements and pictures are far more useful.

Over 4 months? I don't disagree with you that a lot of things could be happening here, but she's not creating the deficit she thinks she is, her inch losses aren't significant enough to be beyond user error with the tape measure either.
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Editing to add: Also? You've established a pattern of loss and now are stalled. The OP is in a different situation.

It's NOT the same thing.

Where is my pattern of loss? I stated that I'd gained and lost the same 4lb since I started lifting several months ago! the only thing I've lost, same as OP is inches.

I was just sticking around in this thread to get to the bottom of my issue, this is the same as the OP regardless of what you think. This is just muddying the water. Can we stick to the issue in hand and drop it please? :).

I think what I'm gathering is that there isn't really an answer. Perhaps we got some newbie gain magic but more than likely it's just the deficit we are working with reflecting on the scale (for me, that would be a super small one). A 5lb loss over 3 months for me translates to what I see in the mirror.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

It's NOT the same thing.

Your ticker shows that you're not new to weight loss.

• hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options

It's NOT the same thing.

I think what I'm gathering is that there isn't really an answer. Perhaps we got some newbie gain magic but more than likely it's just the deficit we are working with reflecting on the scale (for me, that would be a super small one). A 5lb loss over 3 months for me translates to what I see in the mirror.

And to clarify - I think I look like I've lost MORE than lb but... How would I know!
  • sticky130
    Options

It's NOT the same thing.

Your ticker shows that you're not new to weight loss.

Yes, and all of that was lost before I started lifting.

• sticky130
    edited June 2015
    Options

It's NOT the same thing.

And to clarify - I think I look like I've lost MORE than lb but... How would I know!

And that's what's important :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lol this thread is going places
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Agreed on that damn tape measure. So on summary from our discussion, you'd recommend that if the scale doesn't drop, it's likely I won't continue with loss of inches because over time, the deficit simply must not be large enough? That's what I am afraid of because obviously, who wants to eat less? The scale isn't always the best but it also doesn't lie for months at a time.

I found that the thing I trusted most was my clothing. I had a pair of pants that fit tight, a tshirt that was snug, and a belt I was on the very last hole on the big side. No real way to fake how they fit, or worry that I might not have them in the right place.
    Put them on at least once a month (OK, the belt was daily), and notice where they fit different. The belt is now in a hole I had to put in, as I am too small for it, and I had to replace the tshirt and pants with smaller things as "Yep still too loose to wear in public" doesn't mean much. Was a happy day when I could take the pants off by just undoing the belt.
    During this I have gone from 1200 to 1400 to 1600 to 1800 to 2000 to 2200 cals as I ease into maintenance. I eat more on days I am more active, have been getting more active, and never tried that whole needing to freak out if I go over thing.
    For the last say 3 months I was bouncing over a 5lb range (187-192), and it took a week long trip to Vegas before I hit 185...We did a lot of walking and dancing, including a day I walked 23 miles in 24 hrs. Now I am bouncing from 184-190.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are turning your fat into lean muscle mass because of the heavy lifting. When I tend to start lifting weights my weight loss slows but I continue to lose inches. I would bet your body fat % is getting lower, that may be how you want to track.

Turning fat into muscle is biologically impossible :)

But I know that's not what the guy meant.

It is possible to increase muscle mass while losing fat on a deficit; it's not "impossible", or else "recomp" wouldn't be a thing.

It's just very difficult to do, in particular because while you're in a calorie deficit, protein synthesis is slowed down, and that's the key to the muscles growing.

But it's possible, especially for folks who haven't strength trained before.

http://evidencemag.com/minimalist-recomposition?__s=wyzycccxsoaihk2xqsw7

So you're losing inches, which means you're losing body fat. But the scale is staying roughly the same, which means you're gaining some lean muscle mass to compensate for the weight of the lost fat. And since muscle is more dense than fat, yep, you'll lose inches.
  • 3bambi3
    Options

It is possible to increase muscle mass while losing fat on a deficit; it's not "impossible", or else "recomp" wouldn't be a thing.

It's just very difficult to do, in particular because while you're in a calorie deficit, protein synthesis is slowed down, and that's the key to the muscles growing.

So you're losing inches, which means you're losing body fat. But the scale is staying roughly the same, which means you're gaining some lean muscle mass to compensate for the weight of the lost fat. And since muscle is more dense than fat, yep, you'll lose inches.

OP is not new to lifting. OP has also lost 5 pounds on her small frame which could account for said inches.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

OP is not new to lifting. OP has also lost 5 pounds on her small frame which could account for said inches.

Possibly not new to lifting, but new to a consistent routine with progressive overload?

Even so, recomposition can allegedly occur in advanced trainees as well...
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

OP is not new to lifting.

I said that where?