Looking for nerd/science answer - losing inches but not really pounds...

Options
12346»

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How do your clothes fit?

The reason I'm asking this is that tape measurements? Well, I admit, I'm not the best. I've lost almost 44 pounds. You know what? I measure myself????? Except for my waist, I still get the same measurements. And yet, my old pants fall off me.

We really are not very good when it comes to measuring ourselves.
    Thanks for saying this! My waist and pants are doing the same thing.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit?

The reason I'm asking this is that tape measurements? Well, I admit, I'm not the best. I've lost almost 44 pounds. You know what? I measure myself????? Except for my waist, I still get the same measurements. And yet, my old pants fall off me.

We really are not very good when it comes to measuring ourselves.
    Thanks for saying this! My waist and pants are doing the same thing.

I have to laugh, this is an old thread. I've lost 47.4 pounds now! Congrats on the falling off pants!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    hartmamp wrote: »
    I know there are a ton of threads about this, and typically the answer is "water". But this for me has been a solid 3 months of accurate weighing/logging and lifting heavy (Stronglifts). Since the beginning of March, the scale has shown at MOST a loss of 5lbs (I weighed in at this much of a loss only once about 2 weeks ago - I consistently see a number that shows a 3.5 - 4lb loss). But in comparing pictures and also my clothes, I am losing inches, which of course, I will take! But what is the real reason this is happening since I'm eating at a deficit? Is it still just water or what?

The deficit I am eating at should be around a 1lb loss per week. I say around because I know it's hard to find an accurate TDEE number. I'm assuming I am eating at a decent deficit to be losing inches, but is that an inaccurate assumption? Should I cut calories even more?

things to consider:
    Toning muscle with resistance training is the quickest way to shrink your muscles and lose inches. Good job. Keep that up. Some exercises can "pump" your muscles so make a note to yourself on what exercises slim you and what exercises pump your muscles up. The pump muscle will be smooth. The slim muscle may appear stringy and perhaps defined.

1. your TDEE to lose weight should be your lean body muscle mass. Take that amount of weight and x 10 to get your body weight TDEE calories you should be fueling for fat loss. Knowing how to determine your lean body muscle mass requires you to subtract your body fat % weight from total body weight. Since your profile picture is a dog, who looks to be about 30% body fat, be sure to take your total body weight and multiply it by .7 to get your lean body muscle mass. So if you are 200#, you take 200x7=1400 TDEE calories. Yeah, that is low! But these are nutrient dense, no empty calorie fuel calories!

2. exercise to burn fat and raise your metabolism without losing muscle mass.
    3. eat to refuel the body with nutrient dense food, nothing processed and nothing high glycemic index
    4. no cheat meals while you are on a diet to lose body fat
    5. stay hydrated and supplemented with all of your essential water soluble vitamins
    6. eat at least one meal a day of green leafy veggies and colorful stuff
    7. massages to get the swole out of the muscles after exercise is key to flushing out the lymph system. Ice packs too.
    8. never diet like point no. 1 for more than 4 weeks at a time. By week two you should be dropping body fat quickly if you are below your TDEE.
    9. be sure that your are measuring all food and beverages BEFORE cooking and prep. Raw foods are to be measured for calories.
    10. Go get your annual physical check up by your doctor, and demand a full blood workup to check blood sugar levels, electrolytes, hormones.
    11. Don't sabotauge yourself by eating dessert, drinking alcohol, and cheating.
    12. Get your biggest meal of the day before your workout.

best wishes.
    CoachTeresaCPT advanced CPT

LOLOLOL
    What?

The real question... is the dog swole?

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I know there are a ton of threads about this, and typically the answer is "water". But this for me has been a solid 3 months of accurate weighing/logging and lifting heavy (Stronglifts). Since the beginning of March, the scale has shown at MOST a loss of 5lbs (I weighed in at this much of a loss only once about 2 weeks ago - I consistently see a number that shows a 3.5 - 4lb loss). But in comparing pictures and also my clothes, I am losing inches, which of course, I will take! But what is the real reason this is happening since I'm eating at a deficit? Is it still just water or what?

The deficit I am eating at should be around a 1lb loss per week. I say around because I know it's hard to find an accurate TDEE number. I'm assuming I am eating at a decent deficit to be losing inches, but is that an inaccurate assumption? Should I cut calories even more?

things to consider:
    Toning muscle with resistance training is the quickest way to shrink your muscles and lose inches. Good job. Keep that up. Some exercises can "pump" your muscles so make a note to yourself on what exercises slim you and what exercises pump your muscles up. The pump muscle will be smooth. The slim muscle may appear stringy and perhaps defined.

1. your TDEE to lose weight should be your lean body muscle mass. Take that amount of weight and x 10 to get your body weight TDEE calories you should be fueling for fat loss. Knowing how to determine your lean body muscle mass requires you to subtract your body fat % weight from total body weight. Since your profile picture is a dog, who looks to be about 30% body fat, be sure to take your total body weight and multiply it by .7 to get your lean body muscle mass. So if you are 200#, you take 200x7=1400 TDEE calories. Yeah, that is low! But these are nutrient dense, no empty calorie fuel calories!

3. eat to refuel the body with nutrient dense food, nothing processed and nothing high glycemic index
    5. stay hydrated and supplemented with all of your essential water soluble vitamins
    7. massages to get the swole out of the muscles after exercise is key to flushing out the lymph system. Ice packs too.
    8. never diet like point no. 1 for more than 4 weeks at a time. By week two you should be dropping body fat quickly if you are below your TDEE.
    9. be sure that your are measuring all food and beverages BEFORE cooking and prep. Raw foods are to be measured for calories.
    10. Go get your annual physical check up by your doctor, and demand a full blood workup to check blood sugar levels, electrolytes, hormones.

best wishes.

LOLOLOL
    What?

LMAO! 3qd77itgj94l.jpg

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here take into consideration BMR at all?
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    best wishes.

busywaterbending, you're definitely a bender and it's obvious you're bending other things besides water.

Would you please share what area of US you coach - I've got ti check if I need to alert any relatives in that area.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can read later :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

This method would give me a calorie goal of 1000.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others have already said this, but you know the saying "muscle weighs more than fat"? Well, that's sort of true. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat. A pound is a pound. But muscle is more dense than fat. So you can fit a pound of muscle into a smaller space than you can to that pound of fat. So if you have been doing a lot of weight / strength training, then the scale may not move as much even though you are losing fat. If that makes sense.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

things to consider:

best wishes.

LOLOLOL
    What?

The real question... is the dog swole?
    Confirmed:
    51c865f5c856114ac400000d_736.jpg

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This method would give me a calorie goal of 1000.

Unless we really are talking about my dog's body fat percentage, in which case it would be much lower.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Wait, I can use a dog's TDEE or even just BMR for my calorie needs? Wait, I need to stop at the human society for five dogs and the grocery store for like 2 gallons of ice cream.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First "stupidize" and now "swole". MFP never fails to deliver.

Sorry for off topic OP, but I had to giggle at swole.

I have no science to offer, but my guess is you will have to create a bigger deficit if you want to lose. Maybe knock off 100 calories for a couple weeks and see what happens. Or burn 100 more a day from a 20 minute brisk walk.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It seems odd that Hartmamp started pretty much the exact same thread two years ago:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/938428/its-probably-unlikely-ive-gained-7lbs-of-muscle