Looking for nerd/science answer - losing inches but not really pounds...

Options

Replies

• hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    hartmamp wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    If you are new to lifting, you can have "newbie gains" but not enough to offset your 1lb/week goal. Women who are eating in a calorie surplus and on a dedicated progressive lifting program can gain .5-1lb/month. So, let's rule out the whole "replacing fat with muscle" argument.

1. Have you taken actual measurements? If not, it could be a bit psychosomatic. It could also be a bit of water retention.
    2. What is your current intake?
    3. How are you logging your intake?

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. If you have been logging what you think should be a pound a week and it's only .25lb/week, adjust your intake accordingly, as your TDEE estimate is likely off.

This. When I plugged your numbers into scooby's calculator, and gave you 1-3 hours of exercise (because Stronglifts is 3xweek), your TDEE is 1854.

With you eating at 1650, you're not really creating much of a deficit.

I just went to scooby myself and did it agin and got 1980 as my TDEE with 1-3 days so.... Yeah. You did it wrong.

Also I do more than just Stronglifts. I'm in the gym at least 4 days a week, up to 6. But I'm willing to err on the side of caution and use 1-3 days in the Scooby site.

No, scooby's is sometimes weird, you have to do it two times. I got the same 1850ish tdee on IIFYM for 3 times a week.

Regardless, if you're not losing weight, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

This could either be an issue on the calories in or the calories out side, wrt underlying undiagnosed medical issues.

My question back to you though is - if I'm not losing weight, why am I getting smaller? That's the root of this thread -- I wasn't looking for help on calories or TDEE considering I'm getting smaller and isn't that what I want?

How much inch loss have you seen? Is this measured with more than a tape measure?

People are giving you science. I'm sorry it's not the science you want to hear. If the scale's not moving, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

There is a process where you can eat at maintenance and slowly lean out and replace fat with muscle, but it takes a bit longer than since March, I would say. There's a thread in the Maintaining section on it. It's called Body Recomposition.

Actually the only scientific answers I've gotten are good ones -- that I'm losing fat and building muscle is the best thing one could hope for. I am so used to reading this just isn't going to happen that I am still skeptical but I will continue to read more. Also I read a lot on bodybuilding.com and over there, the recomp is known as an extremely difficult feat so I never went to that in my head.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I was reluctant to use a bodybuilding site as a source because of the negative response that usually creates, but since others have brought up Scooby's, according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

You CAN gain muscle and lose fat at the same time

Did you read the caveats included? It's under specific circumstances.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you are new to lifting, you can have "newbie gains" but not enough to offset your 1lb/week goal. Women who are eating in a calorie surplus and on a dedicated progressive lifting program can gain .5-1lb/month. So, let's rule out the whole "replacing fat with muscle" argument.

1. Have you taken actual measurements? If not, it could be a bit psychosomatic. It could also be a bit of water retention.

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. If you have been logging what you think should be a pound a week and it's only .25lb/week, adjust your intake accordingly, as your TDEE estimate is likely off.

This. When I plugged your numbers into scooby's calculator, and gave you 1-3 hours of exercise (because Stronglifts is 3xweek), your TDEE is 1854.

I just went to scooby myself and did it agin and got 1980 as my TDEE with 1-3 days so.... Yeah. You did it wrong.

Also I do more than just Stronglifts. I'm in the gym at least 4 days a week, up to 6. But I'm willing to err on the side of caution and use 1-3 days in the Scooby site.

No, scooby's is sometimes weird, you have to do it two times. I got the same 1850ish tdee on IIFYM for 3 times a week.

This could either be an issue on the calories in or the calories out side, wrt underlying undiagnosed medical issues.

My question back to you though is - if I'm not losing weight, why am I getting smaller? That's the root of this thread -- I wasn't looking for help on calories or TDEE considering I'm getting smaller and isn't that what I want?

How much inch loss have you seen? Is this measured with more than a tape measure?

People are giving you science. I'm sorry it's not the science you want to hear. If the scale's not moving, you're not creating a calorie deficit.

There is a process where you can eat at maintenance and slowly lean out and replace fat with muscle, but it takes a bit longer than since March, I would say. There's a thread in the Maintaining section on it. It's called Body Recomposition.

Actually the only scientific answers I've gotten are good ones -- that I'm losing fat and building muscle is the best thing one could hope for. I am so used to reading this just isn't going to happen that I am still skeptical but I will continue to read more. Also I read a lot on bodybuilding.com and over there, the recomp is known as an extremely difficult feat so I never went to that in my head.

It isn't easy per say... but it's easier for a beginner, overfat, retraining.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    sticky130 wrote: »
    Actually I have a problem with my diary that is being investigated!! All of my diary has disappeared from Sunday backwards, but I can assure you that it's bang on :) I try to get around 100g of protein a day and then top up on other macro's without going over total calories. Hopefully MFP will fix this issue and then you can go back and check :)

My cals did go over 1500 yesterday as it's linked to my Fibit and ended up covering about 6 miles trust me I don't do that everyday, but overall it was still under what MFP gave me.

Actually on just checking its seems to have come back to Friday yay!! so if you check back before then you will see how consistent it actually is :)

Just checked on the last 7 full days (that I can actually see lol) and the average is 1450

Just a suggestion? Maybe start your own thread? It's getting confusing with two conversations going on.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

How many inches are we talking?
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    dup
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

So you can't accept that you're not creating an adequate deficit, and won't answer how many inches you've lost.

Recomp is NOT difficult, it's just a long process.

• sticky130
    Options
    Actually I have a problem with my diary that is being investigated!! All of my diary has disappeared from Sunday backwards, but I can assure you that it's bang on :) I try to get around 100g of protein a day and then top up on other macro's without going over total calories. Hopefully MFP will fix this issue and then you can go back and check :)

My cals did go over 1500 yesterday as it's linked to my Fibit and ended up covering about 6 miles trust me I don't do that everyday, but overall it was still under what MFP gave me.

Actually on just checking its seems to have come back to Friday yay!! so if you check back before then you will see how consistent it actually is :)

Just checked on the last 7 full days (that I can actually see lol) and the average is 1450

Just a suggestion? Maybe start your own thread? It's getting confusing with two conversations going on.

I answered a question that was directed at me, the OP and myself were working together to get to the bottom of the same issue. What's the point of covering the same ground twice for the same point?

It's the same conversation :)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I answered a question that was directed at me, the OP and myself were working together to get to the bottom of the same issue. What's the point of covering the same ground twice for the same point?

Your data is different to hers, your circumstances are different to hers, and the answers will be different.

• hartmamp
    Options

So you can't accept that you're not creating an adequate deficit, and won't answer how many inches you've lost.

I totally missed your inches question, wasn't reading close enough. I've lost 2.5 inches off hips, 1.5 off one thigh and 1.25 off the other, and .75 off waist. Nothing off biceps to this point. Those are the only 4 places I measured to start off.
  • sticky130
    Options

Your data is different to hers, your circumstances are different to hers, and the answers will be different.

The data may be different but the circumstances are exactly the same, that why we're both looking for the same answer. I have only given specifics about my data if somebody asked for them.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

The data may be different but the circumstances are exactly the same, that why we're both looking for the same answer. I have only given specifics about my data if somebody asked for them.

The conditions playing into your circumstances will be different. Your body fat is likely higher. You weigh considerably more than her. Do you train as much? Are you older? There are a lot of variables when it comes to weight loss.

Editing to add: Also? You've established a pattern of loss and now are stalled. The OP is in a different situation.

It's NOT the same thing.

• hartmamp
    Options

I totally missed your inches question, wasn't reading close enough. I've lost 2.5 inches off hips, 1.5 off one thigh and 1.25 off the other, and .75 off waist. Nothing off biceps to this point. Those are the only 4 places I measured to start off.

Wanted to add -- I wouldn't give a damn about my deficit if I could continue to lose inches the way I have so I'm not sure why you're dwelling on that so much. IF (big if) the answer is that by continuing this way I will lose more inches, then I'd choose that and throw out the scale. I never said I cared about what the scale says .... Was just curious as to why.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,111 Member
    Options
    I know there are a ton of threads about this, and typically the answer is "water". But this for me has been a solid 3 months of accurate weighing/logging and lifting heavy (Stronglifts). Since the beginning of March, the scale has shown at MOST a loss of 5lbs (I weighed in at this much of a loss only once about 2 weeks ago - I consistently see a number that shows a 3.5 - 4lb loss). But in comparing pictures and also my clothes, I am losing inches, which of course, I will take! But what is the real reason this is happening since I'm eating at a deficit? Is it still just water or what?

The deficit I am eating at should be around a 1lb loss per week. I say around because I know it's hard to find an accurate TDEE number. I'm assuming I am eating at a decent deficit to be losing inches, but is that an inaccurate assumption? Should I cut calories even more?

What does it matter. If you are losing inches that means 1) You are losing fat which the goal of all this, not simply weight loss. 2) Eventually, when enough inches come off you will lose the pounds.

Frankly, weight is a rather unhelpful measure of success. No one knows your weight unless you tell them. What is far more important from a health standpoint is how much fat you are carrying. Since most body fat measuring devices a home user can get are very inaccurate, shooting for losing inches and going by that a pictures is a far more important way to measure progress.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    closed diary

such mysteries

riddles are abound tonight
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Wanted to add -- I wouldn't give a damn about my deficit if I could continue to lose inches the way I have so I'm not sure why you're dwelling on that so much. IF (big if) the answer is that by continuing this way I will lose more inches, then I'd choose that and throw out the scale. I never said I cared about what the scale says .... Was just curious as to why.

IF you're recomping, and that's a big IF.... recomp will only shrink you so far. Measuring yourself with a tape measure is unreliable over so short an amount of time, because of issues with body/tape placement.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    3 months in a "deficit", weight stable, size down.
    Are your lifts going up in weight / volume?
  • sticky130
    Options

The conditions playing into your circumstances will be different. Your body fat is likely higher. You weigh considerably more than her. Do you train as much? Are you older? There are a lot of variables when it comes to weight loss.

I've listed all of the information over the thread, All we're trying to find out is why over several months where we have lifted heavy have we lost inches but barely showing anything on the scale? I do nearly three hours of heavy lifting a week as previously stated. Nobody mentioned age, or BF, how do either of these effect what we're trying to get to the bottom of? If, as previously stated it is possible that at the beginning we can lose fat and gain muscle how can this work for one and not the other?? We are constantly being told that we can't gain muscle in a deficit we were just trying to find out what is making our bodies shrink but not really weigh any less?
  • hartmamp
    Options

IF you're recomping, and that's a big IF.... recomp will only shrink you so far. Measuring yourself with a tape measure is unreliable over so short an amount of time, because of issues with body/tape placement.

Agreed on that damn tape measure. So on summary from our discussion, you'd recommend that if the scale doesn't drop, it's likely I won't continue with loss of inches because over time, the deficit simply must not be large enough? That's what I am afraid of because obviously, who wants to eat less? The scale isn't always the best but it also doesn't lie for months at a time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options