Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Correct, but the NHS also indirectly links sugar consumption with diabetes, saying that added sugars can translate to weight gain, which can then lead to diabetes. (link)
    Only if you eat at a surplus and gain weight. That said, weight gain can be achieved via any macro in surplus...

I don't think I disputed that. But as I have said now in multiple posts, because of the concentration of sugars and thus calories (as well as the propensity to create cravings in the case of many), eating sugary foods and drinks make the calories add up faster by volume than many other foods.
    So we agree, it's not the sugar...

Is overconsumption of free sugars, specifically free-sugar concentrated foods and drinks, "the sugar"? You can decide. I don't even think it matters. What does matter is moderating the intake of these foods can be effective in weight loss, and thus reducing the risk of metabolic disease.
    As can, for about the eleventy billionth time, moderating the intake of protein, fat, and alcohol. It's not either/or and there isn't one culprit.

And for the eleventy billionth time, I don't disagree with that. I am merely stating, for again what seems to be the eleventy billionth time, that it is easier to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks than cutting many other things.

For you, maybe. What we are saying is: No, it is not easier for everyone to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks. You are painting everyone with the same paintbrush.

Re: the bolded part an honest question: why is this? Is it because someone may find free sugars too difficult to cut and other things (like red, fatty meats) easier because of their habits? Is it because someone may not be eating that much free sugars to begin with and could have weight problems due to other factors? I meant easier in the sense that cutting out the same volume reduces more calories compared to many other foods. If you are talking about habits and attachments, then you do have a point. I'm also talking about a generality - of course nothing applies to "everyone", except that we all got a mother and that we're all going to die someday.

It's easier to reduce everything by a little than one thing completely because I don't have to miss out on something I like that way.

Agree completely, because that's a nice, moderate solution.

But let's cue some endless arguing about just how dumbed down <snip>

This just in, Mamapeach thinks people are dumb!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    While we're discussing what we over ate to get fat, I also love savory and would hide food that I ate from my parents. But as an afternoon snack, I could put away a stick or two of butter slathered on graham crackers. And still eat dinner.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    obiese person may be eating 10-20.

Not me.

I got fat because I was disgustingly inactive and ate lots of savory food ("healthy" stuff even, for the most part). I also didn't eat fast food or TV dinners, to address some of the other annoying stereotypes.

And I wasn't insulin resistant either.

Oh yeah, I'm actually eating fast food way more often nowadays than I did when I was overweight.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Correct, but the NHS also indirectly links sugar consumption with diabetes, saying that added sugars can translate to weight gain, which can then lead to diabetes. (link)
    Only if you eat at a surplus and gain weight. That said, weight gain can be achieved via any macro in surplus...

I don't think I disputed that. But as I have said now in multiple posts, because of the concentration of sugars and thus calories (as well as the propensity to create cravings in the case of many), eating sugary foods and drinks make the calories add up faster by volume than many other foods.

Is overconsumption of free sugars, specifically free-sugar concentrated foods and drinks, "the sugar"? You can decide. I don't even think it matters. What does matter is moderating the intake of these foods can be effective in weight loss, and thus reducing the risk of metabolic disease.
    As can, for about the eleventy billionth time, moderating the intake of protein, fat, and alcohol. It's not either/or and there isn't one culprit.

And for the eleventy billionth time, I don't disagree with that. I am merely stating, for again what seems to be the eleventy billionth time, that it is easier to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks than cutting many other things.

For you, maybe. What we are saying is: No, it is not easier for everyone to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks. You are painting everyone with the same paintbrush.

Re: the bolded part an honest question: why is this? Is it because someone may find free sugars too difficult to cut and other things (like red, fatty meats) easier because of their habits? Is it because someone may not be eating that much free sugars to begin with and could have weight problems due to other factors? I meant easier in the sense that cutting out the same volume reduces more calories compared to many other foods. If you are talking about habits and attachments, then you do have a point. I'm also talking about a generality - of course nothing applies to "everyone", except that we all got a mother and that we're all going to die someday.

It's easier to reduce everything by a little than one thing completely because I don't have to miss out on something I like that way.

Agree completely, because that's a nice, moderate solution.

But let's cue some endless arguing about just how dumbed down <snip>

This just in, Mamapeach thinks people are dumb!

You've just distilled this whole discussion down to a single, hilariously funny post.

Well played.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    1278396156858419120.jpg

KitKats might not be evil or wrong....but eating one like this. DEAD WRONG. There are rules Giancarlo.

BLASPHEMY!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    While we're discussing what we over ate to get fat, I also love savory and would hide food that I ate from my parents. But as an afternoon snack, I could put away a stick or two of butter slathered on graham crackers. And still eat dinner.

You're making me sad that in my butter/cracker phase, we only ever had Saltines in the house. I bet graham crackers would have been awesome. That was my after high school food of choice.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

The same volume of a fatty food contains more calories per gram than a sugary food. Alcohol contains more calories per gram than carbs. If we are simply suggesting efficiency of calorie reduction, should these 2 not be on the top of the list?

Alcohol certainly. Fats too, yes. But with respect to fat, since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine: I find it a lot harder to eat the same volume of pure fat (say pure butter or cooked animal fat chunk) than to eat that volume of a sugary treat.

Again - You are projecting your issues with sugar onto everyone else. This is what the food-group-demonizers tend to do on here on a regular basis.

Maybe you couldn't eat a whole bunch of fatty foods, but I sure as hell can.

I specifically stated "since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine". That is the opposite of projecting onto anyone (let alone everyone) else; it's as specific as it gets.

Again speaking for myself and not some group I don't even know I'm a part of, I couldn't demonize sugar if I wanted to. I am famous for loving sweet stuff among people who know me - both in its whole and added forms. I do understand your observation about "food-group-demonizers", but I see concern-demonizing (belittling anyone who displays or talks about concerns about a particular food group) happening a lot more. But that's just my observation.

Because you and many others are concerned about the wrong things. You have to look at the big picture. And you have to understand that just because you personally have issues with certain foods (sugar, gluten, peanuts, dairy, whatever) does not mean that any of those foods are bad for everyone. By all means, eat the diet that you will stick to, but don't decide that you can't eat sweets without binging on them and then go onto health/fitness forums preaching to everyone about the "dangers" of sweets. It doesn't work that way.

Wait, I can't tell you what the right thing for you to be concerned about is, but you can tell me what the wrong thing for me to be concerned about is? That doesn't sound right.
    Sure it does. The wrong thing is overly focusing on a particular type of food which isn't a problem for everyone. The right thing is for each person to determine what cuts work best for them. Maybe that actually is sugar. Maybe it's not.

Hmm, and when a given individual does decide that for them it is sugar, and they post that here, there is no reason to jump on them right?

You remember how in the other thread, you started backpedaling? You're doing that now. Because it didn't start out with you only being concerned for yourself. It started with you saying that added sugar is to blame for all sorts of things.

Maybe a moderator can answer this - is dragging other threads - especially a closed one - into a new one fine with the rules? Because if it is, I am happy to respond to this accusation. If not, it would be against forum rules. I am going to send an email to the mods and ask.

really?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

The same volume of a fatty food contains more calories per gram than a sugary food. Alcohol contains more calories per gram than carbs. If we are simply suggesting efficiency of calorie reduction, should these 2 not be on the top of the list?

Alcohol certainly. Fats too, yes. But with respect to fat, since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine: I find it a lot harder to eat the same volume of pure fat (say pure butter or cooked animal fat chunk) than to eat that volume of a sugary treat.

Again - You are projecting your issues with sugar onto everyone else. This is what the food-group-demonizers tend to do on here on a regular basis.

I specifically stated "since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine". That is the opposite of projecting onto anyone (let alone everyone) else; it's as specific as it gets.

Again speaking for myself and not some group I don't even know I'm a part of, I couldn't demonize sugar if I wanted to. I am famous for loving sweet stuff among people who know me - both in its whole and added forms. I do understand your observation about "food-group-demonizers", but I see concern-demonizing (belittling anyone who displays or talks about concerns about a particular food group) happening a lot more. But that's just my observation.

Because you and many others are concerned about the wrong things. You have to look at the big picture. And you have to understand that just because you personally have issues with certain foods (sugar, gluten, peanuts, dairy, whatever) does not mean that any of those foods are bad for everyone. By all means, eat the diet that you will stick to, but don't decide that you can't eat sweets without binging on them and then go onto health/fitness forums preaching to everyone about the "dangers" of sweets. It doesn't work that way.

Wait, I can't tell you what the right thing for you to be concerned about is, but you can tell me what the wrong thing for me to be concerned about is? That doesn't sound right.
    Sure it does. The wrong thing is overly focusing on a particular type of food which isn't a problem for everyone. The right thing is for each person to determine what cuts work best for them. Maybe that actually is sugar. Maybe it's not.

Hmm, and when a given individual does decide that for them it is sugar, and they post that here, there is no reason to jump on them right?

You remember how in the other thread, you started backpedaling? You're doing that now. Because it didn't start out with you only being concerned for yourself. It started with you saying that added sugar is to blame for all sorts of things.

Maybe a moderator can answer this - is dragging other threads - especially a closed one - into a new one fine with the rules? Because if it is, I am happy to respond to this accusation. If not, it would be against forum rules. I am going to send an email to the mods and ask.

really?

I'm curious if she also posts when she takes bathroom breaks so we have up to date information.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

really?

Moderator inbox: cat-memes-ma-theyre-posting-weird-*kitten*-again.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    11 pages? Bonkers.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to reduce everything by a little than one thing completely because I don't have to miss out on something I like that way.

Fixed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i love how the never ever ever wrong poster is now bombarding this thread with infinite wisdom and neva eva wrongness ….
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

We weren't big dessert eaters growing up. Yes, I maybe had one Little Debbie or whatever every couple of days. But my mom could cook. We had a garden, so fresh veggies were always in supply (and lots of canned veggies in the winter). My dad was (and still is) a master griller. Mashed potatoes, fried okra, squash casserole, fried pork chops, fried green tomatoes, cornbread, broccoli and cheese, chili, spaghetti, slaw, turnip greens - all of those foods were staples in my diet. Not really a lot of "free sugars."

I got fat off of overeating all those foods. Not free sugars.

Stop demonizing one food group and admit that yes, it's overall calorie consumption that matters. Not just sugars. Sugar is just the new thing to blame, just like fat was to blame in the 80s.

It was the 90's dang it! I am not that old. :tongue:

Stop-the-Insanity.jpg
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    11 pages? Bonkers.

Yeah...and some doofus predicted how it would end in the first response.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Alcohol certainly. Fats too, yes. But with respect to fat, since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine: I find it a lot harder to eat the same volume of pure fat (say pure butter or cooked animal fat chunk) than to eat that volume of a sugary treat, and a ton more so of it's a sugary drink. I don't think I could stomach raw oil at all, by contrast.

The sugary treat isn't pure sugar so your comparison is bad. Most sugary treats have a whole bunch of fat, usually more calories from fat than other stuff.

Which proves that one way to take in large amounts of fat is to ingest it with a bunch of free sugars. So yes that wasn't as good a comparison as comparing with sugar crystals, but what you've just proven is that cutting down on sugary treats also helps one cut down on fat! Awesome!

You're overestimating the amount of sugar in sugar treats. A lot.

And then there's stuff like chips. And fast food. Even homecooked meals. Chicken legs with skin in gravy? Tons of calories. There were days where I had 4 cheese and ham sandwiches as a single meal, that's 800 calories from the bread alone. Or a big plate of fries with weiners. Loved the stuff. But the calories from sugar I got in a day probably would have fit within WHO guidelines most of the time.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    I have closed this discussion and am going to hide this discussion momentarily so mods can take a look; we will review, discuss and move back.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    edited June 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Surely bringing up posting history isn't against the rules.

Yes it can be against the rules as it can be viewed as inciting drama.

But at this point i might just close this thread as its pretty much full of drama and reading it makes me sad.

Okay reading through this discussion and going to stop here to quote @psulemon re: it depends on if bringing up a previous discussion is a violation and this thread makes me sad too and I don't see the point it un-closing it.

I do want to say that there is a lot in this discussion that doesn't make me sad; I wish we could make points without going off about marshmallows or calling a thread a dumpster fire (okay we see it, but especially when we call it out early, it just is throwing fuel on it) but there is a lot of solid advice and guidance and discussion being offered here and even if there weren't kitten flags I would like it for that reason.

Please though, let's try to focus on the solid, respectful advice when someone posts about sugar, because people are never going to stop posting about sugar.
This discussion has been closed.