Say no to sugar

Options
Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, restricting sugar under your doctor's advice is the thing to do. If you don't have that problem, there is nothing wrong with some sugars in your diet.

*sigh* I'm gonna get some marshmallows, this is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Ah the placebo effect.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Awesome that you're following doctor's orders and avoiding diabetes (assuming you're pre-diabetic since your doc would have no reason to recommend this otherwise).

However, for the general healthy (aka not diabetic/pre-diabetic) population, it's not necessary to eliminate sugar for weight loss or even for overall health.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    If you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, restricting sugar under your doctor's advice is the thing to do. If you don't have that problem, there is nothing wrong with some sugars in your diet.

*sigh* I'm gonna get some marshmallows, this is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.
    Mmmmmmm! Marshmallows! just need chocolate and graham crackers
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Awesome that you're following doctor's orders and avoiding diabetes (assuming you're pre-diabetic since your doc would have no reason to recommend this otherwise).

However, for the general healthy (aka not diabetic/pre-diabetic) population, it's not necessary to eliminate sugar for weight loss or even for overall health.

This 100%
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Mmmmmmm! Marshmallows! just need chocolate and graham crackers

I have the poker stick ready to go
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

You get any marshmallows, I need em for my hot chocolate......pweeeeezzeeee
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    e59b_stay_puft_marshmallows2.jpg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Chantell that is awesome and do not look back. I did it 8 months ago when in very poor health at age 63. In 30 days my pain level had dropped so much I no longer needed any meds to manage it. I am only down 25 pounds off of sugar but it looks more like a 50 pound lost. Plus I feel better than I have in 40 years.

It is not just Type 2 diabetes you may prevent but perhaps heart attacks, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer's, etc. With your change it can help others around you when they see your health gains.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Then your doctor is misinformed. Studies have shown that while sugar may contribute to diabetes but it is a myth that too much sugar causes diabetes.
  • elphie754
    edited June 2015
    Options

Chantell that is awesome and do not look back. I did it 8 months ago when in very poor health at age 63. In 30 days my pain level had dropped so much I no longer needed any meds to manage it. I am only down 25 pounds off of sugar but it looks more like a 50 pound lost. Plus I feel better than I have in 40 years.

It is not just Type 2 diabetes you may prevent but perhaps heart attacks, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer's, etc. With your change it can help others around you when they see your health gains.
    What??? Can explain or link to a scientific journal study on sugar causing heart attacks? I would be vey curious to read up on it because I'm calling shenanigans.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

in for the marshmallows .. and a cosy fire for da roasting
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options

Please could you post the source for sugar CAUSING heart attacks, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer

not the ones that talk about increased risk factors due to being overweight and losing weight ameliorating the risk factor

but the actual source for a causative relationship here

That would be interesting to read
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Then your doctor is misinformed. Studies have shown that while sugar may contribute to diabetes but it is a myth that too much sugar causes diabetes.

being overweight can correlate to increased risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes

lose weight risk goes
  • calbrecht2000
    calbrecht2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Good for you, I am happy to read that you feel good. I have been cutting back on my sugar because I am a 'sugar addict' with penny candy being my 'addiction'. I have been off my heavy use of sugar for 3 weeks and still have morning headaches (they started after I cut back). I thought it was sugar withdrawal because I no longer put 3 spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee, but after 3 weeks, something is different and my head isn't 'happy'.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Good for you, I am happy to read that you feel good. I have been cutting back on my sugar because I am a 'sugar addict' with penny candy being my 'addiction'. I have been off my heavy use of sugar for 3 weeks and still have morning headaches (they started after I cut back). I thought it was sugar withdrawal because I no longer put 3 spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee, but after 3 weeks, something is different and my head isn't 'happy'.

have you cut back on caffeine?
    are you drinking adequate fluids?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think its good you are following your Drs advice and learning about controlling your processed sugar levels especially if you are pre diabetic. At the moment im fine with sugar and you can be perfectly healthy with it, but all things in moderation.
  • elphie754
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

being overweight can correlate to increased risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes

lose weight risk goes

Not saying that being over weight is a risk factor, but rather that it is it the sugar itself.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Well since over 100 million people in the US are diabetic or pre-diabetic it seem like something many need to be looking out for.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

lose weight risk goes

Not saying that being over weight is a risk factor, but rather that it is it the sugar itself.

exactly. it was sort of like when I was over weight and my cholesterol was high my doctor told me to stop eating eggs...*smh*
This discussion has been closed.