Say no to sugar

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

(really do not know much about this so just interested)

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Living a sedentary lifestyle
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

so is it not weight that is the issue and not sugar consumption?

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

Yeah ... I might be wrong as I said I don't know much about it and a quick scan on google does not an educated person make

It does say that the most overwhelming factor is family history

and I did read that sugar is not causative

I was just interested

Sugar may not be causative. Many studies have failed to prove it as a cause. Either it is not a cause, or it works so slowly that it's nearly impossible to prove anything other than correlation. But whatever the cause, once you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, sugar is a major factor in controlling the condition. And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she is inferring that in order to be healthy, all of us, even those not at risk for diabetes, need to give up sugar.

And at that, even diabetics don't need to give it up. They just need to control it, and eat it in combination with other macronutrients.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'm late to the dogpile. What's the zaniest thermodynamics law breaking statement so far?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Shoot, I'm late to the dogpile. What's the zaniest thermodynamics law breaking statement so far?

None of that thankfully!

Just the usual. We should all assume we'll get teh betus.

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    Regarding the idea that sugar is linked to heart disease here's another link:

Journal of the American Medical Association

For full disclosure the study appears to focus on "added sugars".

While it is fair to say sugar can be part of a healthy diet, it is false to say that there is no evidence of links to obesity or other conditions. JAMA is saying there is a link, WHO is saying there is a link, AHA is saying there is a link.

Also another link from AJCN

Is having a little sugar sprinkled on your Sunday morning oatmeal going to kill you? Probably not. But having a can of sugar sweetened soda everyday is pushing it.

Nope, you've got it wrong. They are saying there's a link with EXCESS sugar.

It's a very important distinction.

You're also forgetting that EXCESS sugar consumption usually goes hand in hand with excess caloric consumption in general, which... leads to all those other conditions.

Confounding variables, you cannot get around them.

Aaaaand, we're back to being moderate. With sugar, AND with calories.

Well "EXCESS" implies more than one needs. While it may not be feasible, we don't need any sugar in our diet.

I did clarify that the study focused on "added sugars". I also included comments about the amount of sugar that is reasonable.

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

While it is fair to say sugar can be part of a healthy diet, it is false to say that there is no evidence of links to obesity or other conditions. JAMA is saying there is a link, WHO is saying there is a link, AHA is saying there is a link.

Is having a little sugar sprinkled on your Sunday morning oatmeal going to kill you? Probably not. But having a can of sugar sweetened soda everyday is pushing it.

You're also forgetting that EXCESS sugar consumption usually goes hand in hand with excess caloric consumption in general, which... leads to all those other conditions.

Well "EXCESS" implies more than one needs. While it may not be feasible, we don't need any sugar in our diet.

I did clarify that the study focused on "added sugars". I also included comments about the amount of sugar that is reasonable.

ex·cess
    ikˈses,ˈekses/
    noun
    an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable.

PERMITTED OR DESIRABLE. Seriously, three donuts is a desirable amount to me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

No, it implies more than is healthy. You can still healthily eat things you don't need.

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

Sorry, you're moving goalposts. The study you posted was quite clear in percentage of total calories where the correlations began to occur.

There's a threshold of acceptable intake, from any source because your body doesn't care frankly, where the correlation didn't appear.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Turbo_facepalm_by_specialvore-d69viv5.png

So now the goal posts have moved from actual excess sugar to any added sugar? I'll never understand this logic. And by "this logic," I mean "zero logic."
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Great job Chantell! I am a type 2 diabetic and was diagnosed 1.5 years ago! I was overweight but was told it had more to do with genetics than anything! But your right about changing your diet now as alot of people don't realize hidden sugars in simple things! Your on the right path and if it's alright I would like to add you!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

Yeah ... I might be wrong as I said I don't know much about it and a quick scan on google does not an educated person make

I was just interested

Sugar may not be causative. Many studies have failed to prove it as a cause. Either it is not a cause, or it works so slowly that it's nearly impossible to prove anything other than correlation. But whatever the cause, once you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, sugar is a major factor in controlling the condition. And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she is inferring that in order to be healthy, all of us, even those not at risk for diabetes, need to give up sugar.

I think you mean you are inferring. Though honestly, since she mentioned her medical condition why you would infer that meant anyone without the condition would also need to follow her doctor's advice is a mystery to me.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I was just interested

I think you mean you are inferring. Though honestly, since she mentioned her medical condition why you would infer that meant anyone without the condition would also need to follow her doctor's advice is a mystery to me.

Sorry, I meant "implying." It's still early for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

What is a good carb??? Sighs.

Sugar is not bad. Sugar is not evil.

Glad you are following your doctor's advice and finding something that is working for you. I am disappointed that he/she didn't just advise you to reduce your calories since the most effective way to reduce your risk of diabetes is to maintain a normal body weight.
    As for the marshmallows. I can't eat them anymore....and sometimes I really miss them.

True, however, many items with added sugar are not very nutritionally dense and have been a big contributor to people's weight issues. Eliminating foods with added sugar (without any other diet changes) will most likely result in weight loss for the majority of people.

Since most people have no clue about nutrition, telling the patient to simply eliminate foods with added sugars is probably the most effective way to communicate.

I don't need a doctor to dumb things down for me. And if most people have no clue about nutrition, educate them instead of misinforming them. Unacceptable.

Yeah, good post. I kind of understand where doctors are coming from on this, since I'm sure many patients lie and are frustrating to deal with, but ever since I read Andrew Weil saying he recommended a vegetarian diet since meat in moderation was okay but he assumed everyone would cheat and similarly read about numerous doctors recommending 1200 calorie diets or not taking exercise into account since they basically assumed people were wrong about their calories it has frustrated me. Many people perhaps benefit from this approach, but as someone who does track very carefully and who takes a promise to eat no meat (or no whatever) completely seriously, the idea that I will not follow rigidly and can't be trusted would turn me off of a doctor immediately, as it feels so condescending. I want accuracy and the respect to believe that I will choose to do the right thing without being lied to.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Chantell that is awesome and do not look back. I did it 8 months ago when in very poor health at age 63. In 30 days my pain level had dropped so much I no longer needed any meds to manage it. I am only down 25 pounds off of sugar but it looks more like a 50 pound lost. Plus I feel better than I have in 40 years.

I'm down 111 pounds on sugar. I guess it also looks like 111 pounds. Maybe sugar isn't the actual issue.

So you mean if I'd quit sugar it would look like I am down 190, and not just 95? Darnit! (I probably wouldn't look good at only 30 lbs, but still, it's the principle of the thing.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I was just interested

Sorry, I meant "implying." It's still early for me.

Grammar aside, it's not much different. You are inferring something, so you assume she is implying it.
  • dep_25
    dep_25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Congrats !
    Hi ! I have been avoiding sugar for 18 days already, it is dificult but not impossible, we can do it ! :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So I have given up sugar folks.

If you were eating/drinking it in excess and had health issues that would be negatively affected by it, good for you. I tend to think that doctors make these blanket recommendations if they think their patient can't moderate for some reason (or simply because they assume everyone cheats, which I find a negative approach and don't like), but it's certainly possible you have not successfully moderated in the past. Sounds like it's early days but that you are working on improving your health and enjoying your new plan. If you do start to struggle (and even if not) there's a great community of experienced T2 and pre-diabetic/former pre-diabetics on MFP who will likely have wise advice for you.
    My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

I feel good too, I'm not sluggish (I ran 7 miles yesterday, plus spent extra time in the gym doing some cardio stuff), and I don't have morning headaches. I do seem to be woken up at a ridiculously early time so am tired, but I blame my cat, not sugar. I generally am not tired during the day. I think I'm pretty healthy too, and eat a good diet.

Are you saying I need to quit all sugar (fruit and dairy too?) to be healthy? Even though I eat it in moderation within an overall healthy diet?

This seems a rather harsh response, especially since the OP specifically said she was following her doctor's orders and giving up beverages with added sugar, and that she was still eating fruit and foods with sugar naturally in them.

Seriously? I thought it was quite positive about OP's changes but noted that there are others here with experience in living a lifestyle needed to address pre diabetes or diabetes, since often people think they have everything figured out after a week or two and find it gets more challenging.

I also thought it was fair to address the "say no to sugar" aspect of the post, which was aimed at everyone and seemed to presume--incorrectly--that we all should do what works for OP.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is it anti sugar week or something? I swear this is like the tenth thread this week on this topic, and it is only Wednesday...

OP lets re hash...

I don't know what 'good carbs' are, can you please expand on that?
    Sugar is not evil, and does not need to be avoided (unless you have a medical condition). You can eat sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight.
    Sugar does not cause diabetes....

Why is it ok to eat fruit sugar but not added sugar? Can you explain the distinction?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

ex·cess
    ikˈses,ˈekses/
    noun
    an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable.

PERMITTED OR DESIRABLE. Seriously, three donuts is a desirable amount to me.

But is it desirable for you?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Chantell that is awesome and do not look back. I did it 8 months ago when in very poor health at age 63. In 30 days my pain level had dropped so much I no longer needed any meds to manage it. I am only down 25 pounds off of sugar but it looks more like a 50 pound lost. Plus I feel better than I have in 40 years.

I'm down 111 pounds on sugar. I guess it also looks like 111 pounds. Maybe sugar isn't the actual issue.

So you mean if I'd quit sugar it would look like I am down 190, and not just 95? Darnit! (I probably wouldn't look good at only 30 lbs, but still, it's the principle of the thing.)
    I have no clue how lost pounds could look like double the lost pounds just because they were lost by cutting sugar. It's almost certainly a good thing that you don't look like you weigh 30 pounds, though. Sugar was a godsend in your case.

This discussion has been closed.