Say no to sugar

Options

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    When my wife says no to my sugar I am left feeling neither happy or satiated. My vote is more sugar.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Remember when Nancy Reagan was on Diff'rent Strokes and telling Arnold and Willis and all the kids (Kimberly might have been off at boarding school with Mrs. Garrett) to just say no to sugar? That was totally the best.

(Yes, I'm old.)

I watched Diff'rent Strokes faithfully, along with Facts of Life. <3

humms.......
    (You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have the facts of life, the facts of life...)

Thanks for getting that stuck in my head.
    tumblr_mfzb33lygS1qfitcbo3_12801.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Krispy-Kreme-Donuts-Box-PHI.jpg

I want. the whole. box...

...if the hot sign is on of course.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    When my wife says no to my sugar I am left feeling neither happy or satiated. My vote is more sugar.

I lol'd
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Chantell that is awesome and do not look back. I did it 8 months ago when in very poor health at age 63. In 30 days my pain level had dropped so much I no longer needed any meds to manage it. I am only down 25 pounds off of sugar but it looks more like a 50 pound lost. Plus I feel better than I have in 40 years.

It is not just Type 2 diabetes you may prevent but perhaps heart attacks, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer's, etc. With your change it can help others around you when they see your health gains.

Please could you post the source for sugar CAUSING heart attacks, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer

not the ones that talk about increased risk factors due to being overweight and losing weight ameliorating the risk factor

but the actual source for a causative relationship here

That would be interesting to read

Rabbit this is a Google results base on your own words in your post. Thanks for your question.

https://google.com/search?q=sugar+CAUSING+heart+attacks%2C+cancer%2C+stroke%2C+Alzheimer&oq=sugar+CAUSING+heart+attacks%2C+cancer%2C+stroke%2C+Alzheimer&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8
    That isn't what Google Scholar means at all, not at all.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're pre-diabetic and your doctor tells you to stop eating sugar, of course you should. But as many others have pointed out, moderate amounts of sugar are not harmful to otherwise healthy people. I recently went on a short-term diet that helped me lose some fat. But it had zero carbs and no sugar. I had to take a break because I need some carbs and some sugar. They give me energy.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Good for you, I am happy to read that you feel good. I have been cutting back on my sugar because I am a 'sugar addict' with penny candy being my 'addiction'. I have been off my heavy use of sugar for 3 weeks and still have morning headaches (they started after I cut back). I thought it was sugar withdrawal because I no longer put 3 spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee, but after 3 weeks, something is different and my head isn't 'happy'.
    Have you switched to "sugar free" products that contain aspartame? Some people experience migraine type headaches from use.

• Carlos_421
    Options
    Smurfs_Going_Crazy.gif
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

(really do not know much about this so just interested)

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Living a sedentary lifestyle
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

so is it not weight that is the issue and not sugar consumption?

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

This (bold part) is a good point. One of my aunts was not overweight as a teenager, but she was diagnosed as an insulin dependent diabetic at about 13. Diabetes runs in our family, so heredity is a factor too.

Young teen, not overweight, insulin dependent points to type 1, not type 2. My brother was 15 and around 100lbs when he was diognosed with Type 1 diabetes. Not being able to properly convert food to energy meant he was losing weight and was worryingly thin.

There are two types of diabetes and they're pretty different. In Type 1, the body destroys the cells that make insulin creating a lack of insulin. In Type 2, the insulin is there, but the body can't use it properly (insulin resistance)

Diet does not prevent Type 1. We don't know what causes Type 1 (genetics, environmental factors, and viruses may all play a role)

When people talk about "diabetes " they are frequently talking about Type 2 since its much more common (90-95% of people with diabetes have Type 2) Which means that Type 1 folks frequently get lumped in inappropriatly when talking about prevention and management with diet. Type 1 can not be managed with diet alone. Before the discovery of insulin, Type 1 diabetes was a death sentence. A strict, very low carb diet might get a patient a few extra years, but the disease was gonna kill them.

Anyway, its hard to talk about prevention and how you know not overweight people who got diabetes unless you know which Type you're discussing.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Chantell that is awesome and do not look back. I did it 8 months ago when in very poor health at age 63. In 30 days my pain level had dropped so much I no longer needed any meds to manage it. I am only down 25 pounds off of sugar but it looks more like a 50 pound lost. Plus I feel better than I have in 40 years.

It is not just Type 2 diabetes you may prevent but perhaps heart attacks, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer's, etc. With your change it can help others around you when they see your health gains.

Your wrong in every way, but not surprise!!

I had heart disease and now no longer do, while eating sugary goodness!!! My doctor says I am in excellent health!!

IN. And of course I know I will be flagged for this, lol.

OP, good for you. I will enjoy eating my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

Then your doctor is misinformed. Studies have shown that while sugar may contribute to diabetes but it is a myth that too much sugar causes diabetes.

being overweight can correlate to increased risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes

lose weight risk goes

Not saying that being over weight is a risk factor, but rather that it is it the sugar itself.

if you already have elevated blood sugar levels in a fasted state, that is an indicator of insulin resistance for which sugar consumption should be moderated...pretty much thinking that's why the doctor probably told the OP to reduce consumption of sugar.

I'm at a healthy weight and exercise regularly...I still get high glucose reading (pre-diabetic) if I go overboard on things like candy and other common desert items, soda, etc. I avoid that stuff for the most part to keep my glucose in check...so for some people, yes..sugar is indeed a risk.

I'm definitely not in the sugar is the debil camp or that it's addictive, etc...but it seems like a great many MFPers ignore the fact that a lot of people probably do have insulin sensitivities even if they're not full blown diabetic...it's pretty common with overweight individuals.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think I'm addicted to sugar... threads.

Never change MFP... never change.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

Perfect.
    Pretty much sums up every one of these sugar threads.

"Quit sugar."
    "But sugar isn't bad for you."
    "But you should quit it anyway to be healthy."
    "But it isn't unhealthy."
    "But you should quit for health and weight loss."
    "But that's not how it works."
    "But you should."
    "No I shouldn't."
    "Why are you picking on the OP?"
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    just break up already
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I think I'm addicted to sugar... threads.

Never change MFP... never change.

Then you need to seek counselling for that issue. ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

(really do not know much about this so just interested)

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Living a sedentary lifestyle
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

so is it not weight that is the issue and not sugar consumption?

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

Yeah ... I might be wrong as I said I don't know much about it and a quick scan on google does not an educated person make

It does say that the most overwhelming factor is family history

and I did read that sugar is not causative

I was just interested

Sugar may not be causative. Many studies have failed to prove it as a cause. Either it is not a cause, or it works so slowly that it's nearly impossible to prove anything other than correlation. But whatever the cause, once you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, sugar is a major factor in controlling the condition. And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she is inferring that in order to be healthy, all of us, even those not at risk for diabetes, need to give up sugar.

I think you mean you are inferring. Though honestly, since she mentioned her medical condition why you would infer that meant anyone without the condition would also need to follow her doctor's advice is a mystery to me.

@Need2Exerc1se I had high cholesterol...my doctor told me to stop eating eggs...valid advice...not in the least...Doctor's don't get enough education in nutrition etc...on average 23 hours...and that includes those that specialize in nutrition...so yah I typically get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion now...
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My brain is so much sharper since I cut back on sugar, and I wasn't eating a ton to begin with (I.e. I didn't drink pop or put sugar in my coffee, etc.). Say what you want about sugar and body weight, but I feel it in my cognitive abilities.
  • daisyrod2295
    daisyrod2295 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm only on page 1, but what's with all the flagging?

This discussion has been closed.