Say no to sugar

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I'm only on page 1, but what's with all the flagging?

That probably.
    ....It was for me to share about my body. I'm aware of sugar doesn't causes diabetes, but it aids if you are eating unhealthy foods. Yall can't tell me anything...I'm educate to know how and what diabetes are and what's not. I went to school for public health......so I really don't need you guys negative comments about my life.......I was only expressing about me and how I feel after leaving sugar alone (added)......don't get on here post foolishness and acting like you guys know so much. This was my happy post and How I feel after removing the added sugars that I have been using in my life........my happy life moments. Please kiss off and don't leave you all negative comments or acting like you Doctor....like you know so much.......for anyone who had something nice to say....thank you for reading my happy moment.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

8d2df91ae4c61a72dbfded26e0e88c8e.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Remember when Nancy Reagan was on Diff'rent Strokes and telling Arnold and Willis and all the kids (Kimberly might have been off at boarding school with Mrs. Garrett) to just say no to sugar? That was totally the best.

(Yes, I'm old.)

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-quote-1.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Flag stalker or OP is upset on the "non support" would be my guess. Of course, OP also created 3 threads this morning on the topic; in general she could use a browsing of the posting guidelines.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Flag stalker or OP is upset on the "non support" would be my guess. Of course, OP also created 3 threads this morning on the topic; in general she could use a browsing of the posting guidelines.

I was looking for one of the other threads as an example of where she was being even more adamant that all of us needed to give up sugar in order to be healthy...

• RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    If you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, restricting sugar under your doctor's advice is the thing to do. If you don't have that problem, there is nothing wrong with some sugars in your diet.

*sigh* I'm gonna get some marshmallows, this is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

This pretty much ends the thread.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

That is great when a plan works out!

Awesome for you!

Best wishes on following a nutrition strategy that works for you.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    All this hate for sugar...it just...makes me wanna...just...
    SoJEQy7.gif
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Apparently pointing out that a dietary decision declared by one person may not be advisable for people in general is abuse. Or maybe it's foreseeing that the topic will quickly melt down to a regrettable mess.

But hey, toasty marshmallows!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

(really do not know much about this so just interested)

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Living a sedentary lifestyle
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

so is it not weight that is the issue and not sugar consumption?

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

Yeah ... I might be wrong as I said I don't know much about it and a quick scan on google does not an educated person make

It does say that the most overwhelming factor is family history

and I did read that sugar is not causative

I was just interested

Sugar may not be causative. Many studies have failed to prove it as a cause. Either it is not a cause, or it works so slowly that it's nearly impossible to prove anything other than correlation. But whatever the cause, once you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, sugar is a major factor in controlling the condition. And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she is inferring that in order to be healthy, all of us, even those not at risk for diabetes, need to give up sugar.

I think you mean you are inferring. Though honestly, since she mentioned her medical condition why you would infer that meant anyone without the condition would also need to follow her doctor's advice is a mystery to me.
    No she clearly stated, "We can do it...lets get healthy."

Oh the horror!

It's not horrible, but the presumption that all of us are unhealthy is unnecessary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Remember when Nancy Reagan was on Diff'rent Strokes and telling Arnold and Willis and all the kids (Kimberly might have been off at boarding school with Mrs. Garrett) to just say no to sugar? That was totally the best.

(Yes, I'm old.)

I watched Diff'rent Strokes faithfully, along with Facts of Life. <3

humms.......
    (You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have the facts of life, the facts of life...)

That's been running through my head off and on since I posted. It may have been unwise! ;-)
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

Yeah ... I might be wrong as I said I don't know much about it and a quick scan on google does not an educated person make

I was just interested

Sugar may not be causative. Many studies have failed to prove it as a cause. Either it is not a cause, or it works so slowly that it's nearly impossible to prove anything other than correlation. But whatever the cause, once you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, sugar is a major factor in controlling the condition. And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she is inferring that in order to be healthy, all of us, even those not at risk for diabetes, need to give up sugar.

I think you mean you are inferring. Though honestly, since she mentioned her medical condition why you would infer that meant anyone without the condition would also need to follow her doctor's advice is a mystery to me.

Oh the horror!

It's not horrible, but the presumption that all of us are unhealthy is unnecessary.

The nurse at the ER when my appendix went kaput:
    "It's refreshing to have a patient like you. You're healthier and in better shape than 90% of the people who work here."

I'd eaten a KitKat earlier that very day.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Despite what some here think, I am a sugar lover. I love sweet stuff. When I was little, I used to often START a meal with dessert. To this day, I want my sugary treats every now and then.

But that's what has changed. Now I treat them as... well... treats. Added sugars aren't the healthiest of things, but in moderation it can keep us from wanting to binge after denial for a long time. One thing free sugars can be useful for is in giving you a quick energy boost right before a tough workout, or replenish the energy right after. Because it's a pure form of energy, it can do wonders for performance and burning - provided you do burn it.

Nonetheless, the fact is that in today's food supply, added sugars are almost omnipresent, and it takes a great deal of education, determination and effort to limit its intake. It's time and tool many either don't have or cannot use well. In those circumstances, completely avoiding added sugars may be the best way to go. Not everyone takes charge of their lives the same way, and if cutting it out is working for you, and that's what your doctor wanted you to do, that's fantastic!

Outside of providing a quick energy boost for workouts and replenishing glycogen after a hard workout, added sugars' only other benefit is the deliciousness. Fortunately, one can easily get that benefit from fruits and natural sources. I still eat vanilla yogurt that has added sugar sometimes, but mostly I now eat plain yogurt and I add a fresh fruit like a mango, some pineapple or watermelon. YUM!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I was just interested

Oh the horror!

"It's refreshing to have a patient like you. You're healthier and in better shape than 90% of the people who work here."

KitKats are, obviously, evil.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I was just interested

Oh the horror!

So you ate a KitKat and your appendix burst. Great. Now we have to add appendicitis to the list of things that sugar causes.

• Carlos_421
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I was just interested

Oh the horror!

KitKats are, obviously, evil.

Studies have shown that 100% of people who are me suffered appendicitis after consuming KitKats in conjuction with PowerAde.

tumblr_inline_nf3ibmGUMQ1syjm9v.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Options

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I was just interested

Oh the horror!

So you ate a KitKat and your appendix burst. Great. Now we have to add appendicitis to the list of things that sugar causes.

True story: a friend told me that it happened because I swallowed gum as a kid. She wasn't joking.

Factoid: I was 24 years old before I started chewing gum and it's still an infrequent occurrence.
  • deaniac83
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Then your doctor is misinformed. Studies have shown that while sugar may contribute to diabetes but it is a myth that too much sugar causes diabetes.

being overweight can correlate to increased risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes

lose weight risk goes

Not saying that being over weight is a risk factor, but rather that it is it the sugar itself.

That's a little mushy though. If being overweight is a risk factor for diabetes, and excess added sugar consumption is a risk factor for becoming overweight, then excess added sugar consumption is - albeit indirectly - a risk factor for diabetes. I mean, yes, technically, staying at a healthy weight would mean you would have to worry less about diabetes but consuming excess free sugars makes it less likely that someone will stay at a healthy weight. (Excess as in over the recommended amount that isn't burned off with additional exercise.)
  • deaniac83
    Options

Then your doctor is misinformed. Studies have shown that while sugar may contribute to diabetes but it is a myth that too much sugar causes diabetes.

being overweight can correlate to increased risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes

lose weight risk goes

Not saying that being over weight is a risk factor, but rather that it is it the sugar itself.

That's a little mushy though. If being overweight is a risk factor for diabetes, and excess added sugar consumption is a risk factor for becoming overweight, then excess added sugar consumption is - albeit indirectly - a risk factor for diabetes. I mean, yes, technically, staying at a healthy weight would mean you would have to worry less about diabetes but consuming excess free sugars makes it less likely that someone will stay at a healthy weight. (Excess as in over the recommended amount that isn't burned off with additional exercise.)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »

lose weight risk goes

But if you are a healthy weight, and are maintaining that weight and leading an active lifestyle, and you are otherwise healthy, then you are likely not consuming excess added sugar anyway, so...

Excess added sugar consumption is a risk factor for becoming overweight (and therefore diabetes) because of the tendency to eat excess calories. If your diet is otherwise controlled, then your sugar consumption is controlled by default.
This discussion has been closed.