Say no to sugar

Options

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There are many variables when it comes to type 2 diabetes. I don't think there is any question that obiesety has a huge connection with type 2 diabetes. Now I'm going to generalize a little bit so please don't anybody get their panties in a wadd....but in general obiese people are probably also going too excessive on the sugar intake as well. When a regular weight individual eats a cookie its probably only one or two but the obiese person may be eating 10-20. Thus the correlation to sugar is causing diabetes. I think If you have been diagnoised with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes I think you should follow your doctors recommendations and limit your sugar and your carbs as described by your doctor. Do not follow the advice of people on a forum. Your doctor is the one that is monitoring all your bloodwork and other health factors. Again there are too many variables that could play a role in his decision to tell her to stay away from sugar that we may not know about.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Correct, but the NHS also indirectly links sugar consumption with diabetes, saying that added sugars can translate to weight gain, which can then lead to diabetes. (link)
    Only if you eat at a surplus and gain weight. That said, weight gain can be achieved via any macro in surplus...

I don't think I disputed that. But as I have said now in multiple posts, because of the concentration of sugars and thus calories (as well as the propensity to create cravings in the case of many), eating sugary foods and drinks make the calories add up faster by volume than many other foods.
    So we agree, it's not the sugar...

Is overconsumption of free sugars, specifically free-sugar concentrated foods and drinks, "the sugar"? You can decide. I don't even think it matters. What does matter is moderating the intake of these foods can be effective in weight loss, and thus reducing the risk of metabolic disease.
    As can, for about the eleventy billionth time, moderating the intake of protein, fat, and alcohol. It's not either/or and there isn't one culprit.

And for the eleventy billionth time, I don't disagree with that. I am merely stating, for again what seems to be the eleventy billionth time, that it is easier to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks than cutting many other things.

For you, maybe. What we are saying is: No, it is not easier for everyone to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks. You are painting everyone with the same paintbrush.

Re: the bolded part an honest question: why is this? Is it because someone may find free sugars too difficult to cut and other things (like red, fatty meats) easier because of their habits? Is it because someone may not be eating that much free sugars to begin with and could have weight problems due to other factors? I meant easier in the sense that cutting out the same volume reduces more calories compared to many other foods. If you are talking about habits and attachments, then you do have a point. I'm also talking about a generality - of course nothing applies to "everyone", except that we all got a mother and that we're all going to die someday.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Correct, but the NHS also indirectly links sugar consumption with diabetes, saying that added sugars can translate to weight gain, which can then lead to diabetes. (link)
    Only if you eat at a surplus and gain weight. That said, weight gain can be achieved via any macro in surplus...

I don't think I disputed that. But as I have said now in multiple posts, because of the concentration of sugars and thus calories (as well as the propensity to create cravings in the case of many), eating sugary foods and drinks make the calories add up faster by volume than many other foods.

Is overconsumption of free sugars, specifically free-sugar concentrated foods and drinks, "the sugar"? You can decide. I don't even think it matters. What does matter is moderating the intake of these foods can be effective in weight loss, and thus reducing the risk of metabolic disease.

We weren't big dessert eaters growing up. Yes, I maybe had one Little Debbie or whatever every couple of days. But my mom could cook. We had a garden, so fresh veggies were always in supply (and lots of canned veggies in the winter). My dad was (and still is) a master griller. Mashed potatoes, fried okra, squash casserole, fried pork chops, fried green tomatoes, cornbread, broccoli and cheese, chili, spaghetti, slaw, turnip greens - all of those foods were staples in my diet. Not really a lot of "free sugars."

I got fat off of overeating all those foods. Not free sugars.

Stop demonizing one food group and admit that yes, it's overall calorie consumption that matters. Not just sugars. Sugar is just the new thing to blame, just like fat was to blame in the 80s.
    When I was drinking 1200+ calories of milk a day, it wasn't just the sugar that was making me fat. I couldn't give up enough sugar to offset that much because there wasn't enough sugar in my diet to do so.

Omg, I always forget milk. I love milk. I could drink it straight from the jug and easily put down 1200 cals a day of the stuff.

It is the best hangover remedy, too. Drank too much the night before? Huge glass of icy cold milk and some ibuprofen. Heaven on earth.
    Tomatoes always helped me more: tomato juice and salsa, particularly. Though I did drink milk with the chips and salsa, so maybe it played a part there, too.

I used to drink milk from the same kind of glass as my ice tea. 32 ounces at a time. I'd fill the glass and put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Two or three of those a day and sugar couldn't possibly keep up.

Oh man. Now I'm craving old school Campbell's tomato soup with milk in it.

Darn you, Tex.
    I'd get some crackers and let them soak in the tomato soup until they got soggy, then eat them. Good times.
    deaniac83 wrote:
    I am merely stating, for again what seems to be the eleventy billionth time, that it is easier to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks than cutting many other things.
    Yes, stating it right after a couple of posts indicating that, no, it isn't inherently easier to cut sugar because sugar isn't always the cause of a calorie surplus.

If it's easier for you, have at it. That doesn't mean it's easier for everyone and your specific advice about sugar is inferior to the general advice about all macros.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

We weren't big dessert eaters growing up. Yes, I maybe had one Little Debbie or whatever every couple of days. But my mom could cook. We had a garden, so fresh veggies were always in supply (and lots of canned veggies in the winter). My dad was (and still is) a master griller. Mashed potatoes, fried okra, squash casserole, fried pork chops, fried green tomatoes, cornbread, broccoli and cheese, chili, spaghetti, slaw, turnip greens - all of those foods were staples in my diet. Not really a lot of "free sugars."

Stop demonizing one food group and admit that yes, it's overall calorie consumption that matters. Not just sugars. Sugar is just the new thing to blame, just like fat was to blame in the 80s.
    When I was drinking 1200+ calories of milk a day, it wasn't just the sugar that was making me fat. I couldn't give up enough sugar to offset that much because there wasn't enough sugar in my diet to do so.

Omg, I always forget milk. I love milk. I could drink it straight from the jug and easily put down 1200 cals a day of the stuff.

It is the best hangover remedy, too. Drank too much the night before? Huge glass of icy cold milk and some ibuprofen. Heaven on earth.
    Tomatoes always helped me more: tomato juice and salsa, particularly. Though I did drink milk with the chips and salsa, so maybe it played a part there, too.

I used to drink milk from the same kind of glass as my ice tea. 32 ounces at a time. I'd fill the glass and put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Two or three of those a day and sugar couldn't possibly keep up.

Bloody mary FTW
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

As can, for about the eleventy billionth time, moderating the intake of protein, fat, and alcohol. It's not either/or and there isn't one culprit.

And for the eleventy billionth time, I don't disagree with that. I am merely stating, for again what seems to be the eleventy billionth time, that it is easier to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks than cutting many other things.

For you, maybe. What we are saying is: No, it is not easier for everyone to cut the calories by cutting the sugary foods and drinks. You are painting everyone with the same paintbrush.

Re: the bolded part an honest question: why is this? Is it because someone may find free sugars too difficult to cut and other things (like red, fatty meats) easier because of their habits? Is it because someone may not be eating that much free sugars to begin with and could have weight problems due to other factors? I meant easier in the sense that cutting out the same volume reduces more calories compared to many other foods. If you are talking about habits and attachments, then you do have a point. I'm also talking about a generality - of course nothing applies to "everyone", except that we all got a mother and that we're all going to die someday.

The same volume of a fatty food contains more calories per gram than a sugary food. Alcohol contains more calories per gram than carbs. If we are simply suggesting efficiency of calorie reduction, should these 2 not be on the top of the list?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Bloody mary FTW
    Only if it's spicy enough to make a brave man weep.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    See, I'm one of those rare people whose body runs solely on sugar. It's literally all I eat. Everybody should try my way. It's the only way to loose weight!

200.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

The bolded is more in line with my issues. I can overeat anything. I love vegetables, and full-fat dairy, and fruits, and meat. I can put away a steak like nobody's business. I can easily moderate "sugary" foods but you give me a plate of cheese or a veggie platter with french onion dip and I can graze and eat all day long.

I overate all the foods.
  • deaniac83
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Not always. Until I measured foods, I never realized I was eating 300 calories more in nuts than I thought. Nuts are supposedly good to eat, didn't know I was ingesting too much. Eating a proper serving saved me more calories toward my target than the Mt. Dew I was drinking daily. There is nothing "easier" about reducing one food or another. Its all about knowing what it is you are actually eating.

It certainly is all about knowing what it is you are actually eating - but not everyone has the knowledge, tools or time to do so. So when someone only has a hatchet and no scalpel, what's the most effective hatchet - or one of the more effective ones? Like you said, the same thing doesn't work for everyone, and as such, most likely because of lack of discipline, accuracy, or time, one may not be able to, or just may not want to weigh and track. Can those people still use other tools to lose weight, and would cutting down on free sugars be one such tool? I think yes.
  • deaniac83
    edited June 2015
    Options

The same volume of a fatty food contains more calories per gram than a sugary food. Alcohol contains more calories per gram than carbs. If we are simply suggesting efficiency of calorie reduction, should these 2 not be on the top of the list?

Alcohol certainly. Fats too, yes. But with respect to fat, since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine: I find it a lot harder to eat the same volume of pure fat (say pure butter or cooked animal fat chunk) than to eat that volume of a sugary treat, and a ton more so of it's a sugary drink. I don't think I could stomach raw oil at all, by contrast.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

The bolded is more in line with my issues. I can overeat anything. I love vegetables, and full-fat dairy, and fruits, and meat. I can put away a steak like nobody's business. I can easily moderate "sugary" foods but you give me a plate of cheese or a veggie platter with french onion dip and I can graze and eat all day long.

I overate all the foods.

*kitten* carrots and peanut butter, all night long.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    See, I'm one of those rare people whose body runs solely on sugar. It's literally all I eat. Everybody should try my way. It's the only way to loose weight!

200.gif

What do you eat besides Peeps when it's not Easter?
  • deaniac83
    Options

I overate all the foods.

Got it. Thanks.
  • tincanonastring
    edited June 2015
    Options

Alcohol certainly. Fats too, yes. But with respect to fat, since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine: I find it a lot harder to eat the same volume of pure fat (say pure butter or cooked animal fat chunk) than to eat that volume of a sugary treat.

Yes, I like candy over handfuls of lard, too.

tumblr_mrrg4rAG2h1sffn39o1_400.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Alcohol certainly. Fats too, yes. But with respect to fat, since everyone is talking about their own individual experience, let me offer mine: I find it a lot harder to eat the same volume of pure fat (say pure butter or cooked animal fat chunk) than to eat that volume of a sugary treat.

Again - You are projecting your issues with sugar onto everyone else. This is what the food-group-demonizers tend to do on here on a regular basis.

Maybe you couldn't eat a whole bunch of fatty foods, but I sure as hell can.
  • tincanonastring
    edited June 2015
    Options

200.gif

What do you eat besides Peeps when it's not Easter?

They make Peeps for every season!

giphy.gif
  • mantium999
    Options

Not always. Until I measured foods, I never realized I was eating 300 calories more in nuts than I thought. Nuts are supposedly good to eat, didn't know I was ingesting too much. Eating a proper serving saved me more calories toward my target than the Mt. Dew I was drinking daily. There is nothing "easier" about reducing one food or another. Its all about knowing what it is you are actually eating.

It certainly is all about knowing what it is you are actually eating - but not everyone has the knowledge, tools or time to do so. So when someone only has a hatchet and no scalpel, what's the most effective hatchet - or one of the more effective ones? Like you said, the same thing doesn't work for everyone, and as such, most likely because of lack of discipline, accuracy, or time, one may not be able to, or just may not want to weigh and track. Can those people still use other tools to lose weight, and would cutting down on free sugars be one such tool? I think yes.

Sure, it is one tool. But to that same line of thought, if the objective isn't to educate the individual on the why behind a method, I would counter that the simplest solution for that person is to use the hatchet to cut ALL the things they eat. Normally eat 10 cookies? Eat 5. Normally eat a 3 serving bag of almonds? Eat a third and save the rest. Normally drink a six pack? Buy the 24 oz can instead. Normally eat a 16 oz steak? Opt for the 10 oz instead. Why reduce just the cookies, if the other behaviors exist?
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I'm only on page 1, but what's with all the flagging?

I was wondering the same thing. Some (most) of the things that get flagged don't strike me as deserving a flag.
  • mantium999
    Options

Again - You are projecting your issues with sugar onto everyone else. This is what the food-group-demonizers tend to do on here on a regular basis.

Maybe you couldn't eat a whole bunch of fatty foods, but I sure as hell can.

Many are more than happy to drench everything in ranch dressing.
This discussion has been closed.