6llef0gp5zjj.jpg

4w9ak1hyd0po.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Living a sedentary lifestyle
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

so is it not weight that is the issue and not sugar consumption?

Correct, but the NHS also indirectly links sugar consumption with diabetes, saying that added sugars can translate to weight gain, which can then lead to diabetes. (link)

"Many foods that contain added sugars also contain lots of calories, but often have few other nutrients. Eating these foods often can contribute to you becoming overweight. Being overweight can increase your risk of health conditions such as:
    • heart disease
    • type 2 diabetes
    "

Naturally, if a condition is a risk factor for a disease, preventing that condition should help reduce the risk of that disease. In this case, then, preventing weight gain would be a way to reduce the risk of diabetes. And while sugar isn't the only thing that can be controlled to get there, it's one of the main components.
    Sugar doesn't magically make you gain weight, it's the calories. You can get obese from any kind of diet.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Correct, but the NHS also indirectly links sugar consumption with diabetes, saying that added sugars can translate to weight gain, which can then lead to diabetes. (link)
    Only if you eat at a surplus and gain weight. That said, weight gain can be achieved via any macro in surplus...

• deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Outside of providing a quick energy boost for workouts and replenishing glycogen after a hard workout, added sugars' only other benefit is the deliciousness. Fortunately, one can easily get that benefit from fruits and natural sources.
    Natural. Like, say, a sugar cane plant?

Absolutely, if you eat the sugar-cane as well.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    There is some very creative flagging in this thread. At this point, I'm just in for the gifs.

blackflagCatFlag.jpg

As an inappropriate aside: Cats flagging their tails is a sign that they're in heat.

Edited to add proof because veracity...

http://www.banfield.com/pet-health-resources/pet-health-concerns/reproduction/i-think-my-cat-is-in-heat-how-do-i-tell

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

"Many foods that contain added sugars also contain lots of calories, but often have few other nutrients. Eating these foods often can contribute to you becoming overweight. Being overweight can increase your risk of health conditions such as:
    • heart disease
    • type 2 diabetes
    "

Naturally, if a condition is a risk factor for a disease, preventing that condition should help reduce the risk of that disease. In this case, then, preventing weight gain would be a way to reduce the risk of diabetes. And while sugar isn't the only thing that can be controlled to get there, it's one of the main components.
    Sugar doesn't magically make you gain weight, it's the calories. You can get obese from any kind of diet.
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Only if you eat at a surplus and gain weight. That said, weight gain can be achieved via any macro in surplus...

@deaniac83 seems to be ignoring these types of comments.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Outside of providing a quick energy boost for workouts and replenishing glycogen after a hard workout, added sugars' only other benefit is the deliciousness. Fortunately, one can easily get that benefit from fruits and natural sources.

No. The sugar is still the sugar. You can't blame sugar for not being accompanied by fiber, or whatever other magical element makes it OK. It just as natural as butchered beef.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

No. The sugar is still the sugar. You can't blame sugar for not being accompanied by fiber, or whatever other magical element makes it OK. It just as natural as butchered beef.

Eating beef is only natural if you're getting the little hairs stuck in your teeth.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Eating beef is only natural if you're getting the little hairs stuck in your teeth.
    Oh. Beef. Never mind.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Oh. Beef. Never mind.

85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is some very creative flagging in this thread. At this point, I'm just in for the gifs.

I agree. It's comical. Little do they know that abusing the flagging system can result in being banned from the forums. ;)

I know it's a rule. I don't know how strictly it's enforced. I shall treasure my abuse flag for my "Well Played" meme.

I'm not quite sure either but it definitely should be. As will I for mine! *laughs*

Several warnings have been handed out for excessive flagging. And we track who does it.

So just like the NSA and google, we are watching you.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Every rule you break,
    Every flag you make,
    They'll be watching you...
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    NSA as in No Strings Attached.....
  • deaniac83
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Then your doctor is misinformed. Studies have shown that while sugar may contribute to diabetes but it is a myth that too much sugar causes diabetes.

being overweight can correlate to increased risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes

lose weight risk goes

Not saying that being over weight is a risk factor, but rather that it is it the sugar itself.

That's a little mushy though. If being overweight is a risk factor for diabetes, and excess added sugar consumption is a risk factor for becoming overweight, then excess added sugar consumption is - albeit indirectly - a risk factor for diabetes. I mean, yes, technically, staying at a healthy weight would mean you would have to worry less about diabetes but consuming excess free sugars makes it less likely that someone will stay at a healthy weight. (Excess as in over the recommended amount that isn't burned off with additional exercise.)

Mushy logic? How about yours. If being overweight is a risk factor for diabetes then EVERY single food that one could eat causing them to be overweight would be a secondary risk factor. That means sugar, steak, cheese. even broccoli could be risk factors.

That's right; every food item can be a risk factor for gaining weight. However, not every food item is as effective in adding the pounds. Start with a calorie is a calorie. I hope we can agree for the purposes of this debate that each additional calorie (above maintenance) is an equal risk factor to weight gain. So what's special about sugary foods and drinks? They contain high concentrations of free sugars, and thus high concentration of calories. So for a lot of people it is easier to cut back on calories BY cutting back on sugary foods and drinks than by cutting back on broccoli and spinach. Conversely increasing consumption of foods and drinks with free sugars quickly increase these jam packed calories, much more quickly by volume than an apple, making the free sugars - or free sugar packed foods and drinks - a higher risk factor than many other foods.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I agree. It's comical. Little do they know that abusing the flagging system can result in being banned from the forums. ;)

I know it's a rule. I don't know how strictly it's enforced. I shall treasure my abuse flag for my "Well Played" meme.

I'm not quite sure either but it definitely should be. As will I for mine! *laughs*

Several warnings have been handed out for excessive flagging. And we track who does it.

So just like the NSA and google, we are watching you.

You're gonna have a heyday with the "where does the low carb group hang out" thread then!
  • deaniac83
    Options
    and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

• heart disease
    • type 2 diabetes
    "

The absolute, ultimate component in being overweight is eating more calories than you burn over a sustained period of time. This can be achieved with or without added sugar.

Of course it can be, but because of the concentration of sugars and thus calories in sugary fruits and drinks, it's easier to cut back on those calories by cutting back on the sugar than by doing it with foods that are less dense in calories and more dense in nutrients. So while you're correct about the ultimate component, I think that it's important to recognize that cutting (but not necessarily cutting out) free sugars is one of the more effective ways of getting to that ultimate goal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nevermind. Reading comprehension fail.
  • deaniac83
    Options

I don't think I disputed that. But as I have said now in multiple posts, because of the concentration of sugars and thus calories (as well as the propensity to create cravings in the case of many), eating sugary foods and drinks make the calories add up faster by volume than many other foods.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

Then your doctor is misinformed. Studies have shown that while sugar may contribute to diabetes but it is a myth that too much sugar causes diabetes.

being overweight can correlate to increased risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes

lose weight risk goes

Not saying that being over weight is a risk factor, but rather that it is it the sugar itself.

That's a little mushy though. If being overweight is a risk factor for diabetes, and excess added sugar consumption is a risk factor for becoming overweight, then excess added sugar consumption is - albeit indirectly - a risk factor for diabetes. I mean, yes, technically, staying at a healthy weight would mean you would have to worry less about diabetes but consuming excess free sugars makes it less likely that someone will stay at a healthy weight. (Excess as in over the recommended amount that isn't burned off with additional exercise.)

Mushy logic? How about yours. If being overweight is a risk factor for diabetes then EVERY single food that one could eat causing them to be overweight would be a secondary risk factor. That means sugar, steak, cheese. even broccoli could be risk factors.

That's right; every food item can be a risk factor for gaining weight. However, not every food item is as effective in adding the pounds. Start with a calorie is a calorie. I hope we can agree for the purposes of this debate that each additional calorie (above maintenance) is an equal risk factor to weight gain. So what's special about sugary foods and drinks? They contain high concentrations of free sugars, and thus high concentration of calories. So for a lot of people it is easier to cut back on calories BY cutting back on sugary foods and drinks than by cutting back on broccoli and spinach. Conversely increasing consumption of foods and drinks with free sugars quickly increase these jam packed calories, much more quickly by volume than an apple, making the free sugars - or free sugar packed foods and drinks - a higher risk factor than many other foods.

Just pointing out at fat has more calories per gram than carbs...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I don't think I disputed that. But as I have said now in multiple posts, because of the concentration of sugars and thus calories (as well as the propensity to create cravings in the case of many), eating sugary foods and drinks make the calories add up faster by volume than many other foods.

Are we back to all agreeing again?

Eating in excess leads to weight gain. Eating in excess is usually due to hyperpalatable foods combined with low satiety of some kinds of foods. To prevent overconsumption and weight gain, people should focus on staying within their calorie goals and eat the foods that keep them feeling satiated and help them meet their goals.

Right?
This discussion has been closed.