Say no to sugar

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

(really do not know much about this so just interested)

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Living a sedentary lifestyle
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

so is it not weight that is the issue and not sugar consumption?

Insulin resistance (pre-diabetic) is not limited to those who are overweight or obese. I know a very thin guy (think Barney Fife type build) who became pre-diabetic. His doctor gave him the same advice. Give up sugary beverages. He switched from Coca-Cola to Coke Zero and so far has been able to keep his blood sugar under control.

Age may be the key factor for those not overweight though (guy above is mid-50's). Poor diet does tend to catch up with you, regardless of weight.

I know a guy (60-ish, partner of a friend of mine) who is diabetic and having lots of trouble getting his blood sugar under control. He's not heavy at all, but he also doesn't drink any sugary sodas or other drinks and never have. His diet is less than ideal, but not horrible, and not full of sweets (although he says the things that have the greatest effect on his levels are combos of fat, sugar, and other carbs--apparently General Tso's chicken is his worst so far, which makes him sad).

But I think for many people it's largely genetic.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you're feeling better and happy with your progress. Congrats!

I know that in general, I feel better with less sugar in my diet. Still, I also know that I still consume a lot of sugar and hope to cut down my sugar and salt intakes more still.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she didn't say "I have to quit sugar on the advice of my doctor." She said that sugar is something we should all quit. That's not accurate and I get tired of the idea that everyone should pretend they have diabetes.

Edit: and to the extent she didn't mean to say that, that's why I directly asked her if that's what she meant to say. If she didn't mean it, it's easy to say "no, I didn't mean that."

Also, many of the successful T2 people here have mentioned that sugar is often less of a factor than other carbs, and that it's somewhat individual when you figure out what works for you.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is it anti sugar week or something? I swear this is like the tenth thread this week on this topic, and it is only Wednesday...

OP lets re hash...

I don't know what 'good carbs' are, can you please expand on that?
    Sugar is not evil, and does not need to be avoided (unless you have a medical condition). You can eat sugar, be in a deficit, and lose weight.
    Sugar does not cause diabetes....

Why is it ok to eat fruit sugar but not added sugar? Can you explain the distinction?
    This week MFP sponsored by Under Amor, and the Alternative Medicine Council on Diabetes.
  • senecarr
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she didn't say "I have to quit sugar on the advice of my doctor." She said that sugar is something we should all quit. That's not accurate and I get tired of the idea that everyone should pretend they have diabetes.

Also, many of the successful T2 people here have mentioned that sugar is often less of a factor than other carbs, and that it's somewhat individual when you figure out what works for you.
    My health chart clearly states I am 5'7.5", a lot of you should start looking at getting shorter or taller.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

My health chart clearly states I am 5'7.5", a lot of you should start looking at getting shorter or taller.

Does Amazon stock racks these days????

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So I have given up sugar folks.

If you were eating/drinking it in excess and had health issues that would be negatively affected by it, good for you. I tend to think that doctors make these blanket recommendations if they think their patient can't moderate for some reason (or simply because they assume everyone cheats, which I find a negative approach and don't like), but it's certainly possible you have not successfully moderated in the past. Sounds like it's early days but that you are working on improving your health and enjoying your new plan. If you do start to struggle (and even if not) there's a great community of experienced T2 and pre-diabetic/former pre-diabetics on MFP who will likely have wise advice for you.
    My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

I feel good too, I'm not sluggish (I ran 7 miles yesterday, plus spent extra time in the gym doing some cardio stuff), and I don't have morning headaches. I do seem to be woken up at a ridiculously early time so am tired, but I blame my cat, not sugar. I generally am not tired during the day. I think I'm pretty healthy too, and eat a good diet.

Are you saying I need to quit all sugar (fruit and dairy too?) to be healthy? Even though I eat it in moderation within an overall healthy diet?

no you clearly need to quit cats

doh

Now we're at war. Nobody quits cats!

400px-Happy_Cat.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

This (bold part) is a good point. One of my aunts was not overweight as a teenager, but she was diagnosed as an insulin dependent diabetic at about 13. Diabetes runs in our family, so heredity is a factor too.
  • senecarr
    Options

Does Amazon stock racks these days????

Being on MFP, it took me a moment to think of the medieval one instead of the power rack because I've honestly bought a power rack on Amazon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'm late to the dogpile. What's the zaniest thermodynamics law breaking statement so far?

None of that thankfully!

Just the usual. We should all assume we'll get teh betus.

Do you honestly feel that is a clear and accurate description of the OP?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Shoot, I'm late to the dogpile. What's the zaniest thermodynamics law breaking statement so far?

None of that thankfully!

Did you get a clear and accurate statement that her joke had to be referring to OP?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I say YES!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

None of that thankfully!

Did you get a clear and accurate statement that her joke had to be referring to OP?

Apparently not, since I totally missed any humor.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

Yeah ... I might be wrong as I said I don't know much about it and a quick scan on google does not an educated person make

It does say that the most overwhelming factor is family history

and I did read that sugar is not causative

I was just interested

Sugar may not be causative. Many studies have failed to prove it as a cause. Either it is not a cause, or it works so slowly that it's nearly impossible to prove anything other than correlation. But whatever the cause, once you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, sugar is a major factor in controlling the condition. And since the OP stated she does have the condition, I'm not sure why everyone is picking on her post.

Because she is inferring that in order to be healthy, all of us, even those not at risk for diabetes, need to give up sugar.

I think you mean you are inferring. Though honestly, since she mentioned her medical condition why you would infer that meant anyone without the condition would also need to follow her doctor's advice is a mystery to me.

She didn't mention that she has a medical condition.
    She said her doctor told her to quit eating sugar so she doesn't end up being a diabetic.
    At no point has she stated she's pre-diabetic or insulin resistant or anything.
    Mostly because she didn't come back after her OP.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Krispy-Kreme-Donuts-Box-PHI.jpg

You: 272.gif
    Me: Evil-smile.gif

More sugar for meeeeeeee!
  • senecarr
    edited June 2015
    Options

None of that thankfully!

You should find some then. You're missing out on a lot.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I said no to all the sugars but they didn't listen. :)

Barring a healh issue, just CICO hit your macros and micros lets not demonize food groups

Glad its working for you but it doesn't have to be this way unless you are diabetic or prediabetic.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

None of that thankfully!

No, but some of the other posts? Yup.

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

None of that thankfully!

You missed his point. I wasn't referring to the OP.

Also? Silly spellings? Usually a sign of light-hearted intent.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    this is why we need a sugar sticky

lol sugar...sticky

c wut I did
This discussion has been closed.