Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Jake

DM, insulin resisitance, PCOS are a few of illnesses that are treated with low carb.

There is that group yes but be forewarned there are lots there who do not believe you need to count calories to lose weight...just carbs.

If you are on a low carb diet for health reasons good luck and perhaps check into getting an appointment with a dietician (registered) to get more education on the topic.

Does CICO no longer work if I don't actually count the calories going into my body?

That was my question as well. I DIDN'T count calories to lose weight (and I wasn't low carb).

The act of calorie counting is not 100% necessary for 100% of the people.

who is arguing it is?
    I don't know that anyone really believes that, but it was stated.
    There is that group yes but be forewarned there are lots there who do not believe you need to count calories to lose weight...just carbs.

At the risk of speaking for the person quoted, I would imagine the phrase "count calories" was not meant literally that you HAD to count calories, but that you needed to be in a caloric deficit, since the phrases are often interchanged on these boards.

Perhaps. I know she's smart, and knows her stuff. But based on THAT statement, I replied to clarify.

Still, you'd have to admit that there are some vocal people in the group that seem to espouse the view that caloric intake is not an issue for weight loss as long as you're eating low carb, wouldn't you? I saw them there myself yesterday before the group was closed.

I don't see that to often. I do see from time to time new people questioning it for understanding and a few regulars who follow their own methods. Each time the new people are corrected, I see the regular members say, "calories always matter for weight loss"

It's a myth that the whole low carb community believes that you don't need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I don't think its something that warrants a warning.

If 5% say that and are corrected by the other 95%, but are still portrayed as low carbers don't think they need to eat at a deficit, aren't we then demonizing low carbers based on things that aren't true?

Funny, that was not going on when we were being lambasted as "CICO" people...

I'm not going to speak for others, or their reasons for doing so.

Hell in good fun I've probably made those off the cuff remarks too.

Not out of hatred though, out of frustration.

Should it happen? No. but it goes both ways
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If 5% say that and are corrected by the other 95%, but are still portrayed as low carbers don't think they need to eat at a deficit, aren't we then demonizing low carbers based on things that aren't true?
    But you can't hold a whole low carb community responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole nutritional system? And if the whole nutritional system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I hope then too you will be so kind to point the same out to the low-carbbers who come on here and pout about being "picked on" or "not welcome" when 95% of the non-low-carbbers are perfectly reasonable about it and maybe a 5% vocal minority actually does 'pick on' them.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Jake

DM, insulin resisitance, PCOS are a few of illnesses that are treated with low carb.

If you are on a low carb diet for health reasons good luck and perhaps check into getting an appointment with a dietician (registered) to get more education on the topic.

Does CICO no longer work if I don't actually count the calories going into my body?

That was my question as well. I DIDN'T count calories to lose weight (and I wasn't low carb).

who is arguing it is?

At the risk of speaking for the person quoted, I would imagine the phrase "count calories" was not meant literally that you HAD to count calories, but that you needed to be in a caloric deficit, since the phrases are often interchanged on these boards.

Perhaps. I know she's smart, and knows her stuff. But based on THAT statement, I replied to clarify.

Still, you'd have to admit that there are some vocal people in the group that seem to espouse the view that caloric intake is not an issue for weight loss as long as you're eating low carb, wouldn't you? I saw them there myself yesterday before the group was closed.

I don't see that to often. I do see from time to time new people questioning it for understanding and a few regulars who follow their own methods. Each time the new people are corrected, I see the regular members say, "calories always matter for weight loss"

It's a myth that the whole low carb community believes that you don't need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I don't think its something that warrants a warning.

Perhaps this is true in the group. However, in the main forums, when those 5% come in spewing that nonsense, I rarely see the 95% participating in correcting them. And then it often leads to the false labeling of CICO as a diet methodology, which it isn't. Regardless of diet selection, CICO is what makes any of them successful. As a result, low carbers and IIFYMers both get stereotypes, when in reality CICO is what allows both to lose or gain weight.

HesRightYouKnowMorganFreeman_zps8afb3143.jpeg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Jake

who is arguing it is?

Funny, that was not going on when we were being lambasted as "CICO" people...

I'm not going to speak for others, or their reasons for doing so.

Hell in good fun I've probably made those off the cuff remarks too.

Not out of hatred though, out of frustration.

Should it happen? No. but it goes both ways

hmmm, that was not my reading of it but if you say so then sure...

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey folks - I removed a bunch of posts in this discussion and reached out to several of you individually. I am putting this back but keeping it closed cause, well I think we all know why.

Note: While I get that several posts in this discussion were report worthy, none of them met the requirements for flagging as abuse.

qzo0w4l3qfiq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.