Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    vgrezzy wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition that would warrant low carbs, I wouldn't go below 40-50% carbs. your body needs carbs for lots of energy, and fats and proteins are too difficult for your body to digest, so having too high fat% or protein% can harm your liver & back you up

Your body doesn't need carbs and a low carb diet is completely appropriate and healthy, if that is what one so chooses. Your body digests protein and carbs just fine. Your body also can function just fine without the presence of carbs, it's called ketosis. If you have a healthy liver and kidney....there is nothing unhealthy about low carb.

Low carb is not for everyone, but the fear mongering is totally not cool.

Correct. You don't need carbs to live, at all.

I've done a low-to-moderate carb diet for about three years. These days I am around 75-100G most days, so not super low, but much lower than the SAD. I do not feel tired, lethargic, weak or dizzy. For me, it is pretty sustainable. I have pizza and paella a couple of times a year, but other than that I pretty much stay on track. Yes, I have medical reasons for doing this.

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it was interesting that an obesity doctor who is herself not insulin resistant would choose to eat very low carb...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Yup, hypoglycemia? Not dangerous at all.

Don't forget ketoacidosis.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that would warrant low carbs, I wouldn't go below 40-50% carbs. your body needs carbs for lots of energy, and fats and proteins are too difficult for your body to digest, so having too high fat% or protein% can harm your liver & back you up

Your body doesn't need carbs and a low carb diet is completely appropriate and healthy, if that is what one so chooses. Your body digests protein and carbs just fine. Your body also can function just fine without the presence of carbs, it's called ketosis. If you have a healthy liver and kidney....there is nothing unhealthy about low carb.

I've done a low-to-moderate carb diet for about three years. These days I am around 75-100G most days, so not super low, but much lower than the SAD. I do not feel tired, lethargic, weak or dizzy. For me, it is pretty sustainable. I have pizza and paella a couple of times a year, but other than that I pretty much stay on track. Yes, I have medical reasons for doing this.

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it was interesting that an obesity doctor who is herself not insulin resistant would choose to eat very low carb...

Just checking that you don't think ketoacidosis is common with those doing a keto or low carb diet. It's pretty rare and someone needs to have an underlying medical condition in order for that to occur.

yup. Ketoacidosis is a dire condition caused when the body stops producing insulin AT ALL. This is a concern for Type 1 diabetics, Type 2 diabetics whose blood sugar is wildly out of control for a prolonged period, and for severely malnourished alcoholics. Not for low-carb dieters. It would be almost impossible, if not completely impossible, to get your ketones high enough (over 15 mmol/L) even if you fasted for 2 months. People that actually try to get it as high as possible rarely manage to get them over 7. So ketoacidosis is really nothing to worry about under these circumstances. Unless an alien abducts your pancreas. Then you're screwed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    low carb has nothing to do with getting abs or burning fat faster.

what you need for abs is a calorie deficit + some from of strength training + micro/macro adherence + accurate logging + food scale.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    South beach diet many years ago, I was miserable.

the only time I low carb now is if I want most of the water off of me for a beach day (which rarely happens in Chicago) or if I have an event and I want to wear a skin tight dress. Its just getting the water off.

Otherwise the long term effects come from being in a deficit bc you are no longer consuming many high calorie carbs and something else about ketosis. I don't follow that info bc I like carbs and decent smelling breath.

Maybe look into a KEto diet. I dunno. Just sharing my experience.
  • andrewgilfrin
    andrewgilfrin Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Seriously?

Does my head in when people spout this sort of stuff without out anything to back it up.

Ketoacidosis is a condition in which there are too many ketone bodies in the blood because the body is incapable of processing them. It does not happen as part of a low carb ketogenic diet.

It happens in two scenarios

1. In type 1 Diabetics because the inability to produce insulin, resulting in excessive glucagon production, the liver then produces glucose which in turn leads to osmotic diuresis. The lack of insulin also means the body releases fatty acids from fat cells, these are then converted into ketone bodies. The ketones in simple terms are acidic, this combined with an increase in glucose production starting the cycle again means the bloods pH balance is reduced causing the ketoacidosis.

2. Extreme and long term alcohol abuse leads to dehydration and the blocking of gluconoegenesis, not enough glucose is produced and the body breaks down fatty acids to produce ketones, as the blood is dehydrated again the pH balance is reduced, causing the ketoacidosis.

Neither scenarios have anything to do with low carb diets, they are due to existing issues with the body and failure of a fundemental process, in the first case an inability to produce insulin, in the second a failure of gluconeogenesis.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Seriously?

Does my head in when people spout this sort of stuff without out anything to back it up.

Ketoacidosis is a condition in which there are too many ketone bodies in the blood because the body is incapable of processing them. It does not happen as part of a low carb ketogenic diet.

It happens in two scenarios

1. In type 1 Diabetics because the inability to produce insulin, resulting in excessive glucagon production, the liver then produces glucose which in turn leads to osmotic diuresis. The lack of insulin also means the body releases fatty acids from fat cells, these are then converted into ketone bodies. The ketones in simple terms are acidic, this combined with an increase in glucose production starting the cycle again means the bloods pH balance is reduced causing the ketoacidosis.

2. Extreme and long term alcohol abuse leads to dehydration and the blocking of gluconoegenesis, not enough glucose is produced and the body breaks down fatty acids to produce ketones, as the blood is dehydrated again the pH balance is reduced, causing the ketoacidosis.

Neither scenarios have anything to do with low carb diets, they are due to existing issues with the body and failure of a fundemental process, in the first case an inability to produce insulin, in the second a failure of gluconeogenesis.

You may want to copy that to a file to have ready to paste in frequently. No matter how many times it's corrected, there's always someone around to bring it up.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What we see :-
    02bzc1cwk9ds.jpg

Probably fair to assume that the poster meant "we don't need to eat carbs" or "we don't need dietary carbs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Why do you think that eating low carb would cause hypoglycemia? What would the mechanism for that be?

I tried lowish carb (nowhere near keto) and ended up with hypoglycemia. Doctors couldn't figure out why, and just a warning to people, don't go see an endocrinologist with hypoglycemia when you aren't diabetic, they try to treat you like they would a diabetic. I went through horrible roller coasters of blood sugar swings trying to "feed" my low blood sugar and I'd then crash later. Went to my primary care physician, who suggested I continue low carb and it would work itself out.

I continued to be miserable my symptoms were probably made worse and compounded by anxiety symptoms as well. Finally incorporated more whole grains and carbs into my diet and eventually my symptoms went away. No one really knows why, but I'm not going to do low carb again because it clearly did not work for me.
  • carfaa963
    carfaa963 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

This^^^.
  • maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs in 5 months. I was strictly low carbing, though i would have the occasional cheat day. Every 2 weeks or so....I had to restart the process of ketosis each time but still lost a ton of weight. I also was completely dedicated to working out 5 days a week. Mostly HIIT, long walks and strength training.
    I should add that my starting weight was around 340 and thus the reason that I lost so much so quickly.
    I will say that it is a great diet to shed pounds quickly but as far as keeping it off, unless you are committed to a lifetime of low carbing....you WILL slowly but surely gain the weight back.
    I am not trying to calorie counting approach, seems more sustainable because there are no restrictions on quality, just quantity restrictions.
    Good luck!
  • maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs in 5 months. I was strictly low carbing, though i would have the occasional cheat day. Every 2 weeks or so....I had to restart the process of ketosis each time but still lost a ton of weight. I also was completely dedicated to working out 5 days a week. Mostly HIIT, long walks and strength training.
    I should add that my starting weight was around 340 and thus the reason that I lost so much so quickly.
    I will say that it is a great diet to shed pounds quickly but as far as keeping it off, unless you are committed to a lifetime of low carbing....you WILL slowly but surely gain the weight back.
    I am not trying to calorie counting approach, seems more sustainable because there are no restrictions on quality, just quantity restrictions.
    Good luck!

***I am NOW trying ***
  • RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You'd honestly be better off just watching what you eat, holding yourself accountable for what you do eat and exercise. Losing weight is all about fuel intake and energy output. Find your bmr and work with that.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

That has nothing to do with LC, and everything to do with developing a strategy for maintenance. It doesn't matter if someone loses with LC, vegan, or eating everything on earth in moderation, they will gain when they're done if they eat too much of anything, the same way they got fat in the first place.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I low carbed for a little over a year. I lost 40 lbs but ultimately found the diet unsustainable and gained everything back. There's just too much delicious food out there that has a lot of carbs and since calorie restriction is the real key to weight loss and maintenance, I can't see the point of living with an unnecessary dietary restriction.

If other people want to only eat Kosher, Halal, vegan, organic or low carb foods - good for them I guess. For me, life's a banquet and our time on this earth is short. There are already enough external realities that put limits and restrictions on my life so I sure as hell am not adding one of my own.

^^^ This. :)

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Your body has no need for any amount of carbs. It does require adequate amounts of fat and protein for health. You will keep more muscle eating low carb than a high carb diet. I've done low carb for many years and have had no adverse affects. I keep my carbs to 25% (about 50 net carbs) a day. You need no carbs for energy. Your body converts fat and protein to glucose if carbs aren't available.

If you'd like a scientific explanation, read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories."
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Good luck!

That has nothing to do with LC, and everything to do with developing a strategy for maintenance. It doesn't matter if someone loses with LC, vegan, or eating everything on earth in moderation, they will gain when they're done if they eat too much of anything, the same way they got fat in the first place.

This! I lost 54 pounds, and have gained almost all back. And I was not low carb. A large majority fails at keeping the weight off.

• ndj1979
    Options

Your body has no need for any amount of carbs. It does require adequate amounts of fat and protein for health. You will keep more muscle eating low carb than a high carb diet. I've done low carb for many years and have had no adverse affects. I keep my carbs to 25% (about 50 net carbs) a day. You need no carbs for energy. Your body converts fat and protein to glucose if carbs aren't available.

If you'd like a scientific explanation, read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories."

bahahahahah taubes.....oh man, you had to go there...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Good luck!

This. The stats say 90% of all people who lose weight fail to keep it off, so it's not all about low carb.

When I lost the majority of my weight in 2008/2009 (87 lbs), I maintained the loss for 3+ years. When I gained about half back it was because I stopped following my maintenance plan, not because low carb diets are non sustainable and DOOMED FOR FAILURE.

anything that restricts a specific macro is doomed for failure, IMO
This discussion has been closed.