Would you take it back?

Options
124»

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the video but I'm calling BS on the whole story. A couple, young enough to be having kids, she has a $23k ring and they are participating in a community garage sale. On top of all that, she's in the hospital for 4 days (either the kid was not healthy or the mother had some issues because even a c-section is less than 4 days stay), if your wife is in the hospital for 4 days after childbirth, you aren't thinking about selling a few old items to raise a little cash. Oh, and he has an empty watch box? If he's buying his wife 23k wedding rings he's got plenty of watches to put in that box. Oh yea, and one more thing...for some reason they don't have insurance??? Good thing that lady only bought the "empty" watch box 'cause if she had tripped in the driveway and knocked herself silly she would have owned the whole house and all it's contents not just the box and ring 'cause she would have sued the s--- out of them and they don't have insurance.

This whole thing stinks.

My husband has a ton of empty watch boxes because he wears them all the time and storing them in a box would be a PITA.

You don't know why her hospital stay was 4 days. It could have been normal.

Buying someone a 23k ring and participating in a community garage sale has no correlation to the other. I am sure there are plenty of wealthy individual who shop at flea markets and consignment shops.

They said the RING wasn't insured. That doesn't mean they don't have other insurance.

And for the record the woman returned the ring.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I would return it, and I would accept the reward.
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would take it back, or let them come get it, based on the fact that they did not intentionally sell the ring to me. I'd give it back with no reward needed, but I'd take a reward that was freely offered, as long as they knew they'd get the ring back even if they offered no reward.

If they had specifically sold the ring to me for $10, THEN I'd keep it. If I knew it was worth way more than they were asking, I'd bring that point up before completing the transaction. If I only suspected it was worth more, I'd still tell them that too, and before they completed the transaction. If only had a vague hunch it might be worth more, then I probably wouldn't say anything. Under those circumstances, I'm taking as much of a risk as they are, because the ring could be completely worthless.

If they intentionally sold me the ring for $10, then that is what it was worth to them at the time, and it's a fair transaction. The fact it turned out to be much more valuable later is irrelevant, as long as they went into the deal with their eyes open.

I don't really believe in Karma, but I do try to be honest in my dealings with other people.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Nope I have been ripped off by to many old people and that would be my lucky day haha. But I would add onto it and wear it proudly as a c*ck ring and would be like haayy baby look at my shawing bling lol :laugh:

If a woman's ring fits around your winkie and can work as a **** ring no wonder you need some embellishment.

I guess you didn't ya catch the words "add onto it"..:tongue: btw thanks for quoting this as my original post got deleted lmao

Luckily for them the story had a happy ending and they got the ring back.
    While I usually have to pay extra for my happy endings. :laugh:
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely return it. It's not about the value of the ring, it's about feelings here. If I would lose my wedding ring, I would be so desperate and sad.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the video but I'm calling BS on the whole story. A couple, young enough to be having kids, she has a $23k ring and they are participating in a community garage sale. On top of all that, she's in the hospital for 4 days (either the kid was not healthy or the mother had some issues because even a c-section is less than 4 days stay), if your wife is in the hospital for 4 days after childbirth, you aren't thinking about selling a few old items to raise a little cash. Oh, and he has an empty watch box? If he's buying his wife 23k wedding rings he's got plenty of watches to put in that box. Oh yea, and one more thing...for some reason they don't have insurance??? Good thing that lady only bought the "empty" watch box 'cause if she had tripped in the driveway and knocked herself silly she would have owned the whole house and all it's contents not just the box and ring 'cause she would have sued the s--- out of them and they don't have insurance.

This whole thing stinks.

Wow, rude. I was in the hospital with my son for 4 days after having him, so that's totally possible, it's not like they were in the NICU for months.
    And the story didn't say they don't have any insurance, it said they didn't have insurance on the ring. You seriously think your homeowners insurance is going to cover all your jewelry? Think again, you need riders for those types of things, dummy.
    Go ahead and step down from that high-horse now.
  • paday
    paday Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why in the REAL world things never get returned, wallets are always missing any cash when found etc, yet on the INTERNET everyone is a do good'er.

Interesting.

I returned an envelope full of cash (when I was desperately broke, mind you) that was left in the bank's chute thing. That was real life. Things do get returned.

And, yes, I'd return the ring too! Maybe I'd accept the reward if they pushed it hard enough but maybe not.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I would return it. It's one thing to buy something like a painting that looks low value and find out it's worth a lot more than the 20 bucks you spent, that's finders keepers. But, it's quite another to buy something with an item enclosed that wasn't supposed to be there.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Nope I ha

I guess you didn't ya catch the words "add onto it"..:tongue: btw thanks for quoting this as my original post got deleted lmao

DOH!

haha. My bad for sneaking on to mfp during lunch.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I would get two a look-a-like rings for like 10 bucks, drop off the fake to the couple anonymously, and give the other fake to my hooker and keep the real one for myself.
  • paday
    paday Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Give it back no reward needed. It is a symbol of their marriage and not something to be seen as property to be bargained for.

Bah there are 3 rings that symbolize marriage and karma is bs while luck is not.
    engagement ring
    Marriage ring
    Suffering
    and while he is suffering I am going on a long needed vacation for $10 bucks from a LUCKY days find. woohoo

Hawaiian-Vacations.jpg
    :laugh::drinker:

Luck is BS. Karma is not.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Nope I ha

DOH!

haha. My bad for sneaking on to mfp during lunch.

lol
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you were in the hospital for 4 days after childbirth in the US you either have incredible insurance or there were some issues with you or the child at the time, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just reality. And I know as a father, if my wife and newborn were in the hospital for 4 days after childbirth I would be thinking about nothing but them - and maybe work if I had a big sale I was closing. I would not be participating in a garage sale that's for sure.

If they had homeowners insurance or renters insurance and they didn't specifically exclude the ring then it would most likely be covered - although they may have to fight with the insurance company for a while. If they have homeowners and specifically excluded the ring then their just plain stupid - to paraphrase a previous poster, life is hard, it's even harder if you're stupid.

I think there is something fishy here. They set it up looking for 15 mins of fame, the ring wasn't worth nearly what they are claiming, something fishy.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    someone's wedding ring - yes. It's not about the $ value, it's the sentimental value. I would be heart broken if I lost my wedding ring.

THIS.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I would most definitely return it AND no way would I wear it at all. That ring is a promise for someone else, not me.

I had my wedding ring stolen, but since we lived in a very small town it wasn't too hard to find out what happened and I got it back, but for a week I was sick, not because of the monetary value, but because the ring was a symbol of the vows I had made.

So, yes, I'd return it without a doubt.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I saw this on the news. This happened near me. I hope she gets it back, but sadly, I doubt she will.

If I had it, I would return it just for the good jiu-jiu.

Okay... I couldn't edit this. I thought this was near me until I read the follow-up story. Nope... not even close. Glad she got the ring back though.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Without hesitation I would return it. Could I use the money? Yep - grad school was not cheap! It's not mine. It was not intended to be sold. Even if they can afford another one. It's her wedding ring! Morals, ethics, being a good person, and all that jazz.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why in the REAL world things never get returned, wallets are always missing any cash when found etc, yet on the INTERNET everyone is a do good'er.

Interesting.

Eh my roommate lost his wallet 3 times and always got it back with the cash. But that might be a small town thing, I did think small towns are part of the REAL world, guess I was wrong.