• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @nataliecatalie00 Since you're obviously far superior in your diet knowledge, perhaps you'd enlighten us dull fatties how "no animal products" and "smoothie every morning for breakfast" can make us all skinny.

I didn't say I was superior, that's your perception. I've eaten 2500 to 3000 calories and lost and maintained weight with minimal exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, and at first I was scared to do it as well but if your only eating natural plant based foods, when it comes down to it, you don't have to have a calorie deficit.

I have a couple 250+ lb vegetarian/vegan friends who would heavily disagree with that statement.

Just because they are vegan means there healthy. I'm talking about natural plant based foods...not from a package. If you eat foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and such.

So if you eat at a calorie surplus, but it's fruits/veggies/nuts "and such"...you won't gain weight?!

Yup. And its not just a "I have good metabolism" because when I was in my teens I ate the typical weight loss diet of lean meat, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies with a calorie deficit and I was never over weight but I weighed more than I do now.

I'm sorry, but this is just false. You weren't counting calories properly. It's just not how the science works. Perhaps someone can post some good reading for you.

You can't tell me that I was doing something wrong. I know how to count calories. I have a scale and I can do math. And if you look at all the things in the past the "science" has proven and then we find out it was wrong or there is some new better way, you can be open minded to other things. Plus trying something for yourself is always the best way before you judge it. And I know how to research, I have my degree in psychology and have been trained to find and analyze scientific articles.

good, please link us to the peer reviewed study where you can lose weight in a caloric surplus….

Apparently she is her own study and n1 is enough to claim hard facts.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    Really guys? That is boring. Enjoy your boring calorie deficit life style, but saying that isnt helpful to people starting out.

How about...

1. Cardio, sweat your butt off!
    2. Eat clean fresh fruit and veggies with every meal and snack
    3. skip the high calorie drinks and enjoy a clod glass of water with some lemon or other fruit in it instead
    4. get proper sleep so you have the energy to be more active, so you can burn more calories through out the day
    5. The best exercise is the kind that doesnt feel like exercise. So sports, dancing, hikng etc.

1. Increases your calorie deficit
    2. Low calorie/high nutrient - Increases your calorie deficit
    3. Increases your calorie deficit
    4. Being more active increases your calorie deficit
    5. Exercise increases your calorie deficit

So, we're in agreement and you're just as 'boring' as everyone else.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    @nataliecatalie00 Since you're obviously far superior in your diet knowledge, perhaps you'd enlighten us dull fatties how "no animal products" and "smoothie every morning for breakfast" can make us all skinny.

I didn't say I was superior, that's your perception. I've eaten 2500 to 3000 calories and lost and maintained weight with minimal exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, and at first I was scared to do it as well but if your only eating natural plant based foods, when it comes down to it, you don't have to have a calorie deficit.

I have a couple 250+ lb vegetarian/vegan friends who would heavily disagree with that statement.

Just because they are vegan means there healthy. I'm talking about natural plant based foods...not from a package. If you eat foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and such.

So if you eat at a calorie surplus, but it's fruits/veggies/nuts "and such"...you won't gain weight?!

Yup. And its not just a "I have good metabolism" because when I was in my teens I ate the typical weight loss diet of lean meat, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies with a calorie deficit and I was never over weight but I weighed more than I do now.

I'm sorry, but this is just false. You weren't counting calories properly. It's just not how the science works. Perhaps someone can post some good reading for you.

You can't tell me that I was doing something wrong. I know how to count calories. I have a scale and I can do math. And if you look at all the things in the past the "science" has proven and then we find out it was wrong or there is some new better way, you can be open minded to other things. Plus trying something for yourself is always the best way before you judge it. And I know how to research, I have my degree in psychology and have been trained to find and analyze scientific articles.

Oh, sorry. Can you post the studies you have read that explain that you can eat in a calorie surplus and lose weight?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

good, please link us to the peer reviewed study where you can lose weight in a caloric surplus….

I'm curious to see what "journal" would publish it.

My guess is it would be a journal similar to the one that published this "study".

http://io9.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800
  • nataliecatalie00
    nataliecatalie00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for this gif since we've obviously exited the land of basic science and entered the realm of....
    mgc.gif

You can say that all you want but you never actually know until you try. I thought it sounded absurd at first but instead of declaring it magic I actually tried it and it worked. I found out for myself.

Yeah...no. Science disagrees with you. As do I. The scenario you're describing is literally impossible.
    But what do I know, I'm just a fatty, right?

I didn't say you were a fatty. I'm just pointing out that if you are going to go to someone on advice to lose weight, your probably going to pick the thinner/ fitter person. It's not rude, it's just smart.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Apparently she is her own study and n1 is enough to claim hard facts.

is that published in the journal of me?
  • arditarose
    Options
    I think it's time for this gif since we've obviously exited the land of basic science and entered the realm of....
    mgc.gif

You can say that all you want but you never actually know until you try. I thought it sounded absurd at first but instead of declaring it magic I actually tried it and it worked. I found out for myself.

Yeah...no. Science disagrees with you. As do I. The scenario you're describing is literally impossible.

I didn't say you were a fatty. I'm just pointing out that if you are going to go to someone on advice to lose weight, your probably going to pick the thinner/ fitter person. It's not rude, it's just smart.

No...I'm going to pick the person who is losing/has lost weight.
  • nataliecatalie00
    Options
    mgc.gif

Why not the person who has always been thin that has never gotten to the point of being over weight in the first place?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    mgc.gif

yea, thin does not equal nutritional genius.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    What is a plant-based food? I'm confused.

Plant based food is food that comes from plants in its most natural form. No animal products. Just a piece of fruit or a potato.

Don't cows and chickens and pigs, etc. eat plants? Would that not be a plant-based food?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

Why not the person who has always been thin that has never gotten to the point of being over weight in the first place?

Because this thread is about LOSING weight maybe??
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

No because that person doesn't understand what it is like to lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    well this thread went down in flames on page one…this may be a new record….
  • arditarose
    Options
    mgc.gif

Because...they are not experienced in losing weight?
  • nataliecatalie00
    Options

My guess is it would be a journal similar to the one that published this "study".

http://io9.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800

I never claimed that I'm basing it on science. I said I was basing it on experience.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

Because all that person is going to tell you, if they know what they're talking about, is "I just don't eat too much for my lifestyle," and where's the controversy in that?

• myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

We have a winner.

lololol.

I love MFP bingo.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I never claimed that I'm basing it on science. I said I was basing it on experience.

I hope you stick around the forums and one day laugh with me over what you just said. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.